Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: BrisbaneRhino "I'm not sure where this obsession with fast halfbacks comes from. Speed comes from using the ball, unless you have real speed like Johnson. If speed were the best measure Cooper Cronk wouldn't even be playing first grade nowadays.'"

I agree and disagree with that. I agree you don't need fast halves. However I think that speed needs to come from somewhere.

People do seem to have a set idea in their heads of what each position must provide and Speed at half is one they see and I agree with you that isn't necessary.
I do however think that you need speed in the middle of the park, for some it comes from their halves, for some their fullback.

Cronk has played most of his career in front of Billy Slater who is no slouch

I don't think our problem is that we don't have enough speed in the halves it's that we don't have any speed at all in the middle of the park. The number of times i saw Watkins look back on his inside and see nobody last season was silly. Similarly our offloads were rarely on to a player steaming through and far more often to players either stood still or to forwards.

What the team is missing is what everyone dismissed as easy 10 years ago with McGuire. That player who can ghost through a gap, who is away before you know it and is on the shoulder of every ball carrier. I've said before that the thing stopping Hardaker being a world class player isn't his passing, it's his support play.

G1
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32302No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
982.jpg
[quote:1pqtnbtj]Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.[/quote:1pqtnbtj] Kevin Sinfield:982.jpg

Quote: The Eagle "You don't need to be lightning fast, but you need to be a threat to the line, and put defenders in two minds as to what you are going to do. At the moment it feels like defenders can ignore McGuire or SInfield running at the lines partly because its unlikely, and partly because when they do you can react to it. McGuire is a much better half back than he was 10 years ago, but I'm not sure that makes him more effective'"

Indeed. I recall watching Iestyn at the Bulls do the same stuff he used to do for us to open gaps but being unable to get through them. Similarly, McGuire has reached that stage.

It's not essential to have lightening fast halves but when we play McGuire and Sinfield there we're at the other end of the spectrum. One is fine but both pose little threat as runners which makes them easier to defend.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

Quote: Neruda "pathetic one-eyed leeds rhinos biased rubbish
didnt they see his terrible 'per carry' stats?
etc etc
Your preference for blogs rather than facts to back up your opinions explains everything icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman503
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1340.gif
:1340.gif

Quote: Juan Cornetto "Your preference for blogs rather than facts to back up your opinions explains everything
What that then, that its a game of opinions not a spreadsheet accountancy exercise?

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

The problem alone isn't that the halves don't have speed, I still think you can be successful with them. Problem comes when you have,
Slow Halfbacks + Workhorse Forwards
Apart from Ablett none of our main forwards are or have ever been really threatening near the line. Look at the tries Sinfield created for Burgess and Westwood in the WC just a little over 12 months ago as well as the one for Watkins in the Semi vs NZ. All done with his lack of pace but good support runs. Someone mentioned earlier that halves could do with speed to create doubt in the defenders minds about what they might do......well if there's a lack of good runs from forwards looking like serious threats/options then regardless of speed you don't have doubt in defenders minds. The lack of tries we get from our forwards, barring Ablett, is very poor.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: ThePrinter "The problem alone isn't that the halves don't have speed, I still think you can be successful with them. Problem comes when you have,
Slow Halfbacks + Workhorse Forwards
Apart from Ablett none of our main forwards are or have ever been really threatening near the line. Look at the tries Sinfield created for Burgess and Westwood in the WC just a little over 12 months ago as well as the one for Watkins in the Semi vs NZ. All done with his lack of pace but good support runs. Someone mentioned earlier that halves could do with speed to create doubt in the defenders minds about what they might do......well if there's a lack of good runs from forwards looking like serious threats/options then regardless of speed you don't have doubt in defenders minds. The lack of tries we get from our forwards, barring Ablett, is very poor.'"

Agree with that. It's partly why I think we need at least one of Ward or Walters in the team.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

Quote: Maverick Rhino "What that then, that its a game of opinions not a spreadsheet accountancy exercise?'"

I have take the trouble to back up my opinions with stats which are based on facts whereas the best neruda has come up with is a blog to support his opinion!

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: Juan Cornetto "I have take the trouble to back up my opinions with stats which are based on facts whereas the best neruda has come up with is a blog to support his opinion!'"

You have come up with an opinion based on stats, just like the person writing the blog has come up with an opinion. One has some credibility.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg

Quote: Gotcha "You have come up with an opinion based on stats, just like the person writing the blog has come up with an opinion. One has some credibility.'"

I have been supporting Leeds since the late 50's and I have seen a fair few players from several eras including both the greats and the journeymen of our wonderful game. In addition I have a reasonable level of coaching and managing experience where stats were used. This does not mean I can never to be wrong of course as my opinions are formed like most others: ie: watching players in matches and sometimes in training and we can all get it wrong on occasions.

It seems to annoy you, and one or two others, that I am sometimes able to back up my opinions with stats and analysis when you cannot. So you cry "foul" and seek to insult and discredit on a personal level. Unable to counter my arguments you therefore conclude that I am unable to form opinions without stats. This judgement like much of your opinion comes without supporting evidence but with a helping of arrogance.

My postings with regard to Hardaker since he came into the side has been both supportive and critical as IMO he is some work to do before he can be classed as a 'great' or a 'class' act. I have made these comments before offering supporting stats

As I have previously posted he is a good player with a great physical game including tackle busts, strength in the tackle, fielding kicks and returns and he has a good work rate with a high number of carries and makes good metres. So he can fairly be regarded among the best defensive fullbacks in SL.

However IMO he is below par in his attacking skills with generally poor passing and kicking ability. He is often greedy, ignoring overlaps (a rugby cardinal sin) and his link play does not create enough. He also has a suspect temperament. So on attack he has some way to go before he can be regarded as the one of the best attacking fullbacks in SL. As attack is one of the key roles, if not the key role of the fullback, these are serious deficiencies. This does not mean he will not improve and I have not suggested we swop him or sell him.

So please try and accept Gotcha that my opinions are fairly formed even if you disagree with them. That would at least give you some credibility.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Juan Cornetto "I have been supporting Leeds since the late 50's and I have seen a fair few players from several eras including both the greats and the journeymen of our wonderful game. In addition I have a reasonable level of coaching and managing experience where stats were used. This does not mean I can never to be wrong of course as my opinions are formed like most others

Not a lot more to be said here - a pretty accurate dissection of Hardaker's current skill set. As I have said before I have seen nothing to suggest Hardaker has the skill set to make a successful half back in an elite side. Whether its stats or blogs you cannot get away from those simple facts.

RankPostsTeam
International Star75No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2016Jan 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

While I agree with your comment printer about how more than just non workhorse forwards would help bring more out of Sinfield as it was for England the problem is that these are not in a huge abundance of them. The England team obviously have what is considered the creme de la creme of that year and Sinfield (Widdop as well) utilised them very well. In superleague I believe that not many teams have more than one of them e.g. Wigan Farrel, Sts Soliola, Hull Ellis but apart from maybe Warrington who have Hill and Harrison(unlucky injury record). Sinfield unfortunately will have to make the most of what Leeds have because getting a forward like that is difficult. I am going to be positive and hope Cuthbertson in the mix and putting Sutcliffe at LF will help the cause with threatening the opposition line.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

1 Warrington 2 Hull 3 Wigan 4 Castleford 4 Castleford 5 St Helens 6 Leeds 7 Catalans 8 Hudedersfield 9 Widnes 10 Wakefield 11 Salford 12 Leigh Playoffs:Warrington Hull Wigan Castleford Four sides rejoining: Widnes Wakefield Salford Leigh GF Winners Warrington CC Winners Wigan:

Quote: Sal Paradise "Not a lot more to be said here - a pretty accurate dissection of Hardaker's current skill set. As I have said before I have seen nothing to suggest Hardaker has the skill set to make a successful half back in an elite side. Whether its stats or blogs you cannot get away from those simple facts.'"

There you go again, those are not all facts, simply your opinion defined by you as facts.
You may be right, you may be wrong, but at the end of the day those are merely your opinions.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Old Feller "There you go again, those are not all facts, simply your opinion defined by you as facts.
You may be right, you may be wrong, but at the end of the day those are merely your opinions.'"

Stats - produced by independent sources - suggest JC's observations of Hardaker's skill sets are credible. You may not want to accept that that is your choice. You cannot ignore the stats - the professionals don't which should suggest they carry some weight and importance. My views on Hardaker have been consistent throughout this thread - they are supported by the stats. I cannot see where the likes of Gotcha think he could ever make a half back in an elite side on what we have seen on the field.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

You can't ignore th stats.....but the conclusion can be varied.
Is Hardaker not scoring and creating enough tries because he isn't good enough offensively and creatively?
Or is he not scoring enough because he's playing in a team that as a whole has been disappointing offensively?

Swap him with Bowen, do you reckon Hardaker's tries & assists remain the same if he'd have played for Wigan in 2014. Similarly do you think Bowen would get as many playing FB for us in 2014?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "Stats - produced by independent sources - suggest JC's observations of Hardaker's skill sets are credible. You may not want to accept that that is your choice. You cannot ignore the stats - the professionals don't which should suggest they carry some weight and importance. My views on Hardaker have been consistent throughout this thread - they are supported by the stats. I cannot see where the likes of Gotcha think he could ever make a half back in an elite side on what we have seen on the field.'"

JC observation is not credible at all. Until there is stats that breakdown into things like, how many tackles were try savers, how many passes resulted in a break for a team mate ending in a try, or how many breaks resulted in trys for the team. These are important and not something general stats produce.

No where on this thread has Gotcha stated he could make an half back in an elite side. I have stated many times we can not write it off until it is tried, and I believe they will try it. Confirming that statement by saying we would not have the best fullback in the country try had we not put him there. Only you and that nimpty JC have taken it off topic by trying and failing to say Hardaker is not the best fullback.

There is s difference.

263 posts in 19 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
263 posts in 19 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.29833984375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Tonights match v London
karetaker
3m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
The Dentist
5m