Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2015Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10393.jpg
OBN Wannabe:10393.jpg

Quote: The Eagle "I do have a problem with people going out for a drink in the run up to a big tournament.
The affects of alcohol on training up to 48 hours after consumption are well known and documented. Although not rocket scientists the players should know this too. The medical staff will be able to explain to them if needed. In order to make an impact every player needs to be at 100%. Hocks refusal to understand that its just missing a couple of 10 minute sessions shows he does not have the right mental attitude to be involved at the tournament. THere are thousands of blokes who would swap position with him, and would give up alcohol for a few weeks in order to achieve something great. Unfortunately, not for the first time, Hock has shown he can't handle temptation and focus on the long term goal'"

Sort of depends how much alcohol we're talking about. If they had a couple of beers they wouldn't notice any effect in training.

A skinful on the other hand... I have not very fond memories of going out on a Friday night lash a few years ago, and doing a 10k race for my club on Sunday morning. I felt fine. Top gear was, simply put, not there. I did OK, but it probably cost me a minute to 90 seconds. The sort of small margin that counts in elite level sport. If you're a few % off your game against the Aussies, that will add up to a lot of points over 80 minutes.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: The Eagle "I do have a problem with people going out for a drink in the run up to a big tournament.
The affects of alcohol on training up to 48 hours after consumption are well known and documented. Although not rocket scientists the players should know this too. The medical staff will be able to explain to them if needed. In order to make an impact every player needs to be at 100%. Hocks refusal to understand that its just missing a couple of 10 minute sessions shows he does not have the right mental attitude to be involved at the tournament. THere are thousands of blokes who would swap position with him, and would give up alcohol for a few weeks in order to achieve something great. Unfortunately, not for the first time, Hock has shown he can't handle temptation and focus on the long term goal'"

and if they were 48hrs before the game i would agree. But they were an entire week away from a game.

The effects of alcohol consumption are well known, but it is also dependant on how much alcohol is consumed and this is my problem with it. Because Hock was a moron and had too many, overslept and missed training we assume that everyone else was out getting leathered aswell.

It is more likely that for the ‘others’ going out consisted of 2 maybe 3 pints, a figure which a week before a game isn’t going to make any difference. Because Hock couldn’t keep a lid on it and has tried to bring his team-mates down with him they are all of a sudden out on the town doing shots of sambucca and downing pints until sunrise. In fact even from Hocks description some of those 6’s transgressions could have gone no further than a glass of wine with dinner.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10145_1279728778.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10145.png

Quote: El Diablo "Sort of depends how much alcohol we're talking about. If they had a couple of beers they wouldn't notice any effect in training.

A skinful on the other hand... I have not very fond memories of going out on a Friday night lash a few years ago, and doing a 10k race for my club on Sunday morning. I felt fine. Top gear was, simply put, not there. I did OK, but it probably cost me a minute to 90 seconds. The sort of small margin that counts in elite level sport. If you're a few % off your game against the Aussies, that will add up to a lot of points over 80 minutes.'"

I mostly agree, but from what I know (which is limited I admit) even a small amount of alcohol has an impact on performance, even if only very small. To play at our best, we have to train at our best. And that means no alcohol. Its selfish to let the rest of his team mates down. The same applies to the others

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach12106No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2015Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10393.jpg

Quote: The Eagle "I mostly agree, but from what I know (which is limited I admit) even a small amount of alcohol has an impact on performance, even if only very small. To play at our best, we have to train at our best. And that means no alcohol. Its selfish to let the rest of his team mates down. The same applies to the others'"

Not sure that's true. Alcohol doesn't really trigger toxin responses at very low levels. Some people will even tell you, for example, that a pint of wheat beer is a good recovery drink (it out-performed lucozade in a test somewhere, though I am dubious about the methods). When you exceed a blood concentration that triggers your body to treat it as a toxin, then you start to see some effect. One of the principal problems is dehydration. Again, that doesn't really take effect until that toxic response is triggered, at which point your body's first response is to flush the stuff out through your renal system.

Everybody triggers that response at different points too, so it isn't easy to specify a number of units. But I don't believe most people would see any adverse reaction to a pint of decent beer or cider or a glass of wine in an evening, for instance. Rubbishy plastic mass-produced beer also contains other additives which are not suggested for an athlete's diet, which is a separate issue.

I'm splitting hairs though, as I agree it was selfish, they breached a direct instruction and showed a lack of respect and self discipline.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10145_1279728778.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10145.png

Quote: craigizzard "On a more positive note, there's a superb article by Jamie Peacock on the BBC website:

Great column. Sent shivers down my spine at the end

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17139No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "What people seem to forget is 18 players did impose their own alcohol ban. 6 went for a few drinks and by all accounts 5 of them kept it light and were responsible enough to not get leathered. They got home, got to bed, got to camp, got to training.

1 idiot didn’t.

I have no problem with a player having a beer or two a week before the game. There is an obvious problem with 1 player who couldn’t keep it together. But its unfair to focus on him and think of him as representative of the squad when he is an isolated incident.'"

Unless I am missing something there is no evidence that the others only had one or two, only that they didn't sleep in. I dare say most on here could go out, have 5 or 6 & still get up for breakfast. I don't think they would all perform to 100% of their abilities however.

RankPostsTeam
International Star156No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Oct 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[color=#FF0000:gi72v7u2]Un..[/color:gi72v7u2]..[color=#0000FF:gi72v7u2]OFFICIAL[/color:gi72v7u2] [color=#FF0000:gi72v7u2]Wakefield[/color:gi72v7u2] [color=#0000FF:gi72v7u2]Trinity[/color:gi72v7u2] [color=#FF0000:gi72v7u2]Wild[/color:gi72v7u2] [color=#0000FF:gi72v7u2]cats[/color:gi72v7u2] [color=#0000FF:gi72v7u2]supporter [/color:gi72v7u2][color=#FF0000:gi72v7u2]Auckland[/color:gi72v7u2] [color=#0000FF:gi72v7u2]Branch[/color:gi72v7u2] [color=#FF0000:gi72v7u2]New [/color:gi72v7u2][color=#0000FF:gi72v7u2]Zealand[/color:gi72v7u2]:

From an outsiders point of view your posts have been a riveting entertaining read , not so much fun when it's your own mob implicated.

Do people think that had England convincingly won over Italy........were Mcnamara a more respected coach by fans......that the management would have had wider support for sacking players after a slosh up ?

You've got some very good talent in reserve if Tom Burgess didn't make the top side first up , I rate the brothers highly.

England could pull out the feel good story of Three Burgess , and reap the reward in real terms of them firing off each other in the England Shirt ?

If nothing else it would be a positive morsel to distract the media dogs with.

They wouldn't let you down either.

Pleased to see big George in there , you have to counter the dump trucks NZ and Aus use off their benches.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: tigertot "Unless I am missing something there is no evidence that the others only had one or two, only that they didn't sleep in. I dare say most on here could go out, have 5 or 6 & still get up for breakfast. I don't think they would all perform to 100% of their abilities however.'"

but similarly we have no evidence that they had a skinful either. Fact is without Hock's idiocy they would have been given the benefit of the doubt. I think its unfair on the others that Hock's behaviour means that benefit of doubt is removed.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member32342
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3076_1671446335.jpg
SAINTS THE ORIGINAL AND PERENNIAL CHEATS For sale full Saints kit (circa 1989). Shirts in pristine condition, but shorts badly soiled. For 27 - 0 you get a trophy For 75 - 0 you get sod all. Wigan had eight in a row Saints have five in a row:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3076.jpg

I wonder who Hocks roommate was? Surely he should have given him a kick to get him out of bed and down to training. If it were me (as either Hock or the roommate) I would have expected it.

G1
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32302No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
982.jpg
[quote:1pqtnbtj]Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.[/quote:1pqtnbtj] Kevin Sinfield:982.jpg

Quote: The Eagle "Great column. Sent shivers down my spine at the end'"

Me too. I'm lacing my boots up as we speak.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach12106No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2015Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10393.jpg

Quote: G1 "Me too. I'm lacing my boots up as we speak.'"

Is that a euphemism?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach12106No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2015Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10393.jpg

Quote: Mt Smart "
England could pull out the feel good story of Three Burgess , and reap the reward in real terms of them firing off each other in the England Shirt ?

Pleased to see big George in there , you have to counter the dump trucks NZ and Aus use off their benches.'"

Your wish is my command:

www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/24650021

Not sure about describing SBW as a "New Zealand great" mind you.

Tremendous player, but failure to pick something and stick to it holds hiom back from being "a great" in my book. Certainly it's hard to describe a guy who I don't think has won a Test for the Kiwis and has only played 7 times a "great."

He may, of course, fix that over the next month. Then you can think about using the term.
Quote: Mt Smart "

Pleased to see big George in there , you have to counter the dump trucks NZ and Aus use off their benches.'"

Your wish is my command:

Not sure about describing SBW as a "New Zealand great" mind you.

Tremendous player, but failure to pick something and stick to it holds hiom back from being "a great" in my book. Certainly it's hard to describe a guy who I don't think has won a Test for the Kiwis and has only played 7 times a "great."

He may, of course, fix that over the next month. Then you can think about using the term.

RankPostsTeam
International Star501
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Rogues Gallery "I wonder who Hocks roommate was? Surely he should have given him a kick to get him out of bed and down to training. If it were me (as either Hock or the roommate) I would have expected it.'"

I thought this too....but then i wondered if maybe the incident was compounded by the roommate being told to do one when he tried to shift him....after all it was "only a 10 minute swim" and medical check.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: El Diablo "Not sure about describing SBW as a "New Zealand great" mind you.

He may, of course, fix that over the next month. Then you can think about using the term.'"

All about opinions I suppose, but unsure of your definition of great.

He is regarded as one of the worlds best Rugby League players, and rightly so, he has talents beyond many others. He went to Union, was again very highly rated, and won a world cup with his country. Took up boxing, and holds two titles currently and is unbeaten. He is one of New Zealands most popular individuals. He is from New Zealand.

My definition, he is from New Zealand, he has excelled at three different sports, and won honours in all three sports, two of the sports at National level. How many other individuals regarded as a great could match that? I would say he is definitely a New Zealand great, and would guess the media's defnition is probably following mine, and why they termed it that.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1755
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2023Jan 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
38511.jpg
[b:3v5chy3z]Brian McDermott paraphrased Peter Fox. "He'd say if we had 13 Bernard Dwyers we wouldn't lose many RL games. It's the same for us with JJB"[/b:3v5chy3z]:38511.jpg

looks like graham,mcillorum and hardaker all picked injuries up last weekend and havn't been selected in the 19

looks like graham,mcillorum and hardaker all picked injuries up last weekend and havn't been selected in the 19

239 posts in 17 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
239 posts in 17 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.27880859375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
5m
Rumours thread
PopTart
12m