Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: Andy Gilder "Probably a couple of years off the first team yet, but big things expected of Sam Hallas.'"

I was surprised not to see him as part of the England youth teams for next year. Thought he was much higher regarded in the game.

I don't know if it is just Wakey fans adding two and two together and getting five, but heard from a few that the guy they signed for next year, Anderson is it? only signed a one year contract as Leeds are watching him next year with a view to taking Kylies place in 2015.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

Not sure of the age groups now, but if England Youth are Under 16s then he's not going to be eligible this year and it's a big step up to England Academy which are Under 19s?

Scott Anderson is only on a one-year deal which seems a bit odd. 70 first grade games in an 8-year career though doesn't fill you with confidence.

He's also good mates with Ben Cross, so I can't see Leeds coming with a glowing report somehow. Of the two, Matt Ryan would have probably been the more interesting addition and probably has the better pedigree.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: Andy Gilder "Not sure of the age groups now, but if England Youth are Under 16s then he's not going to be eligible this year and it's a big step up to England Academy which are Under 19s?'"

Under 18's I think. But I think a lot of them are quite established.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman4461
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
disney1/Dis84.gif
[quote="Hail Stewie Griffin":vg3vzgr8] All dumbies those Irish folk [/quote:vg3vzgr8] So you've met my wife:disney1/Dis84.gif

Maybe this will give a bit of a clue rlhttp://www.sportinglife.com/rugby-league/news/article/480/9068468/mcdermott-backs-duo-to-shinerl
Lets hope BM believes in what he is saying to the rest of us.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

实事求是!:

We've f*cked up.

We'll pay the price partly this season but mainly next season.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: Gotcha "I see, the desperation argument from Printer coming out. Doesn't even remember his own question.

Let me remind you of the question you asked, and which I answered.

You brought up the comparison argument, nobody else. You got an answer. Now grow up.'"

The answer you gave swerved away from the actual question I asked though "Was the offer derisory?". The best way to judge whether it was "derisory" IS to compare it to what other promising youngsters through the GH years have been offered. If it was similar then nothing wrong was done by the club, but in fact they actually followed your suggestion according to McDermott "we made him (Baldwinson) an offer that was above his current position within our structure."

Part of what you said does ring true. Some players should be paid more for what they bring to a club.....however that would be for established first teamers, NOT 18 year olds who have yet to make their debuts in a salary cap sport.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: Sal Paradise "1. He said he was offered 12k - if this is true that is derisory in any industry never mind for one of the most talented youngsters in the sport. Why stay?
2. What does the re-signing of over the hill players say to young players - it says my opportunities will be very limited for at least 12 months if not longer. It also shows the mentality of the club - the acceptance of mediocrity.
3. They can bring their medals in with confidence their place is safe in the side regardless of how well they play - ask Brad Singleton what happened to him at the business end of last season. A half fit JJB who had not played well for months was preferred to one of the form players in the side. Bailey who had been poor all year also got selected ahead of him!!
4. Baldwinson has seen McDermott in action and maybe he didn't actually like what he saw - who knows, all that we do know is a very talented youngster is no longer at the club - playing in a position we are in need of strengthening.'"

1. McDermott says that Baldwinson was offered more than the club normally would for someone at that stage in their careers.
2. Or that they don't want to put too much pressure on young forwards until they've developed more physically and would rather ease them in surrounded by plenty of experience. Some on here won't be happy until academy lads are allowed to waltz into the 1st team at the first possible chance.
3. Yep medal winners are safe in the knowledge they'll always have their spot.......Kinds regards K.Senior, B.Webb, L.Smith, A.Lauitiiti and their 15 GF winners rings.....read in their places for the 2012 GF - K.Watkins, Z.Hardaker, B.Jones Bishop, S.Ward.
4. Who knows, maybe he did like what he saw. But preferred the type of money coming from NZ that we realistically cannot even come close to trying to match and would be incredibly stupid to even try.

We lost him because of the massive difference in financial strengths in the two competitions, it's as simple as that. But some need to pick apart the club and paint it as their fault whilst poor innocent 19 year olds and rumoured $70,000 a year and laying in the sun in Auckland Baldwinson is the person who has the role of victim somehow.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach539No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Aug 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
45465_1384791340.jpg
And last but not least, to all those people who wrote this team off. To all those people who critisized this team...tonight's for you. K. Sinfield, GF 2011:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_45465.jpg

Give Singleton a real chance. Quality props like James Graham and Sam Burgess were tearing it up at his age. Remember, he's 21 not 16 and we can't treat him like a baby forever. Agree with most about Achurch and just hope he dosn't develop into being just another Kirk.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7636
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17555_1637667680.png
Wigan RLFC:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_17555.png

You could always take Lauaki off our hands...

RankPostsTeam
International Star387No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2016Nov 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

oh FGS, this again.

Peacock was the best prop in SL last year by a distance, and will be good for next year and quite potentially 2015.

Kylie will drop to the bench (for Singleton) this year, and retire at season end.

Kirke will see out his contract as a squad/bench player. We can expect a replace & retire schedule of something like:

Leuluai

Peacock

Kirke & JJB

Bailey

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: ThePrinter "1. McDermott says that Baldwinson was offered more than the club normally would for someone at that stage in their careers.
2. Or that they don't want to put too much pressure on young forwards until they've developed more physically and would rather ease them in surrounded by plenty of experience. Some on here won't be happy until academy lads are allowed to waltz into the 1st team at the first possible chance.
3. Yep medal winners are safe in the knowledge they'll always have their spot.......Kinds regards K.Senior, B.Webb, L.Smith, A.Lauitiiti and their 15 GF winners rings.....read in their places for the 2012 GF - K.Watkins, Z.Hardaker, B.Jones Bishop, S.Ward.
4. Who knows, maybe he did like what he saw. But preferred the type of money coming from NZ that we realistically cannot even come close to trying to match and would be incredibly stupid to even try.

We lost him because of the massive difference in financial strengths in the two competitions, it's as simple as that. But some need to pick apart the club and paint it as their fault whilst poor innocent 19 year olds and rumoured $70,000 a year and laying in the sun in Auckland Baldwinson is the person who has the role of victim somehow.'"

1. Just because the club offered him more than other kids doesn't make it a good offer - they could have offered £100 more.
2. If you want to have seasons where winning anything is off the agenda keep re-signing players who quite clearly have seen better days - do you think the likes of Peacock, Lueulai, Kirke and Bailey are going to show improvements or declines. Do you think 1/2 games in the first team is really going to develop the likes of Baldwinson?
3. Yes Ryan Bailey, Jamie Peacock, Kylie Leuulai, Ian Kirke, JJB can bring their medals in safe in the knowledge that they will get selected. These are the players that Baldwinson is competing against not Keith Senior, not Lee Smith all of which is just fog knitting.
4. Why would the club be stupid to match the money on offer in NZ if he is an exceptional talent - the game is short of genuine class players - NZ$70,000 is about 35k hardly a fortune.

The financial strength is not in play here, this is not Sam Tomkins - the money he has been offered is not massive, it is about GH his salary structure and the amount of monies he pays to long established players. If you want to develop/keep the best youngsters you have to pay them and play them. If you want to lose all the best talent continue to insult them with unrealistic offers.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach19234No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35376_1277564281.gif
[img:35s0tdes]http://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/12/34/74/45/lr200913.gif[/img:35s0tdes]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35376.gif

Completely agree Sal!
Printer-Who is portraying Baldwinson as some sort of victim or ever suggested 18/19yr old just waltz into the 1st team??
The issues have been explained over and over again do you sign players like Moore to carry water/be a bit part player and re-sign players like Kirke or give an extra few quid to the England u19 captain and best young Forward at the Club and at the same time ROTATE the squad so he gets gametime?
You've already pointed out the way Ali ,Smith & Senior et al have been handled so why not fringe/not up to it forwards?
Its also clear we got it wrong with Amor so really irrespective of success mistakes have been made re-squad retention and recruitment.
Finally Baldwinson and Tonks NEVER asked for the Club to match the NZ offer and BOTH were had more than enough desire to play for Leeds thats not hear say ,myth or rumour thats straight from those involved and some still at the Club!"

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4979
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27794.gif
[b:1zy5cey6]"...To those people that wrote this team off... to all those that criticised this team... tonight's for you" [/b:1zy5cey6] [i:1zy5cey6]Sir Kevin Sinfield[/i:1zy5cey6]:27794.gif

I have been told that Baldwinson's move to the NZ Warriors doesn't quite end his association with the Rhinos as some on here are believing

I have been informed that Baldwinson wasn't going to get regular games in SL for the next couple of seasons, so could GH have possibly allowed him to move to the best possible level of footy available to him and whilst also letting him example life outside of his comfort zone and in a beautiful country too?

The Rhinos only lose the game of poker IF baldwinson actually makes the grade after his trial period in the juniors ends over there and that they actually offer him a full time contract for the first team squad

I wouldn't be surprised to see him back at the club in two years time and as a much better player than the one who left..... unless he has a Burgess type effect on the Warriors, Then good luck to him i say

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman491No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

People whinging that £12K is not much for a full time job are correct.

However, when you consider that included in that offer was also the opportunity to go to college/university to study for a career apart from playing rugby then it is a pretty good offer.

Is he getting the same education over in NZ as he would have got whilst at Leeds? If not and the worst happens and he gets a career ending injury or he just doesnt improve to the required standard, he may then have to spend a number of years out of employment and paying fees to get qualifications - he could be financially worse off.

Now if you asked is getting £12K per year for going to college / uni a good deal then I think very few would say it wasnt!

Those people who say that he should have been offered say £20K per year (or more) for three years have to consider how this would have impacted on the salary cap. A single offer as such has little impact but if two or three exceptional players per year were offered this (for three year deals) then the cumulative total could be £48 - 72K per year! Given the first and second tier salary cap values of £165K and £75K respectively, this could impact on the long term competitiveness of the team. And that is before you even consider lower paid squad members and lower ranked acadamy players may also want more money because when you alter the pay structure, it has a ripple effect through the club to other players. Also consider how this extra spending would impact on the overall finances of the club.

I am not saying that he shouldnt have been offered more but it isnt just as simple as saying its only a few thousand pounds.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: russianboris "People whinging that £12K is not much for a full time job are correct.

However, when you consider that included in that offer was also the opportunity to go to college/university to study for a career apart from playing rugby then it is a pretty good offer.

Is he getting the same education over in NZ as he would have got whilst at Leeds? If not and the worst happens and he gets a career ending injury or he just doesnt improve to the required standard, he may then have to spend a number of years out of employment and paying fees to get qualifications - he could be financially worse off.

Now if you asked is getting £12K per year for going to college / uni a good deal then I think very few would say it wasnt!

Those people who say that he should have been offered say £20K per year (or more) for three years have to consider how this would have impacted on the salary cap. A single offer as such has little impact but if two or three exceptional players per year were offered this (for three year deals) then the cumulative total could be £48 - 72K per year! Given the first and second tier salary cap values of £165K and £75K respectively, this could impact on the long term competitiveness of the team. And that is before you even consider lower paid squad members and lower ranked acadamy players may also want more money because when you alter the pay structure, it has a ripple effect through the club to other players. Also consider how this extra spending would impact on the overall finances of the club.

I am not saying that he shouldnt have been offered more but it isnt just as simple as saying its only a few thousand pounds.'"

On the education thing - not many employers would pay for you to study something that was completely unrelated to the job you are employed to do - seems a distraction to me. All his energies should be channelled into the very thing he is employed to do i.e. rugby.

On a career threatening injury he will be insured against that - the insurance will provide him with the security to commence studying if needs be.

On education - he will know within 2/3 years whether he is going to make it as a professional so that is not a huge time frame to go without education. If he doesn't make it then he will get the education for the same cost as everyone else i.e. a student loan.

The salary structure - perhaps if we didn't renew the contracts of older and sub standard players then maybe we would have the monies to pay a bit extra to exceptional youngsters? It might also encourage better youngsters to come to Leeds?

65 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
65 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.11376953125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Tonights match v HKR
matt_wire
20m
Recruitment rumours and links
Philth
20m
TV games not Wire
matt_wire
22m
Play-off semi-final
Prince Buste
28m
TV Games - Not Hull
Hasbag
28m
Film game
karetaker
43m
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Tony Fax
Recent
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
just_browny
Recent
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
Recent
Leigh it is
Cbr1000rr
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Play-off semi-final
Prince Buste
51s
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Emagdnim13
59s
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
1m
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
1m
just_browny
2m
Sam Burgess
Captain Hook
2m
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
3m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
3m
Mild Rover
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Questions for Ste Mills
JamieRobinso
TODAY
Decision on the field
MR FRISK
TODAY
just_browny
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Tony Fax
TODAY
Sam Burgess
Captain Hook
TODAY
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
matt_wire
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
TODAY
Championship Awards
FIL
TODAY
Season tickets
Hudd-Shay
TODAY
Best Semi
sir adrian m
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Vancouver Le
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Squad for HKR
MorePlaymake
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Bully_Boxer
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Prince Buste
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Howfenwire
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 3,446 ↑25580,13114,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
       Championship 2024-R29
 FT 
York
27-10
Widnes
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29

17:30
Wigan
24-0
Leigh
Walters Try, Keighran Goal
 TOMORROW
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sat 12th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R30
18:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan24-0Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sat 12th Oct
SL
18:00
Hull KR-Wigan
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 5th Oct
CH
LIVE
York27-10Widnes
SL
LIVE
Wigan24-0Leigh
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 28 739 336 403 46
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 29 580 422 158 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 28 682 479 203 32
Widnes 27 561 502 59 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22