Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

G1 is going to have a field day today. Kirke made four carries in that match. That's 4. Singleton did one more, playing 20 minutes less.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

Quote: rhinoms "The whole approach of our game suited ST's they stayed disciplined dug in and saw off our 1 out down the middle tactics.
Roby ran the ruck for them and Lomax was very good with and without the ball whilst others may play it down again i thought our use/lack of subs was p!$$ poor even more so when Jjb went off also selecting Ward at LC is purely down to the Coach.
Blatantly during the first half twice we had Watkins and Briscoe on their own out wide and we went back inside to the left and finished up with either handing the ball over or a sh## kick.
Did anyone else see Delaney barfing his guts up at the start of the second half aswell he looked fecked.
JC you also forgot to add that Kirke conceded the penalty for a p!$$ poor shove for their 1st score.'"

IMO our game plan was not a lot different to what has proved successful so far. The difference was the execution was poorer last night and the opposition was better. So far this season our defence and attack has been well structured. The forwards have controlled the middle and on the back of quick PTBs we have created the space for the backs to score the tries. The game plan gave us plenty of possession in their half and on another day we would have scored several more tries. But our finishing was not good enough and we took some wrong options - but that is sport.

Last night we started well enough down the middle but our PTB was too slow (due in part to lienient officiating of the ruck) Our two half backs never dominated and our kicking game was in the main also poor as was some decision making.

I too would have liked to have seen BJB come on as we badly needed someone to make a clean break but IMO opinion Ward is getting some unfair stick. He made 34 tackles (our 4th highest) and made no errors unlike Watkins who made 4 errors one of which led to their first try. Also Watkins made more carries and metres than usual but made no clean breaks so it is wrong of some to be saying he didn't get the ball.

You complain about our use of subs but that is not why we lost. We have to give credit to the Saints youngsters who were tremendous. They targeted Sinfield, Watkins and Hardaker and closed them down very effectively and they kicked deep and made our wingers have to turn back to collect and their kick chase was too good for our wingers and full back. In Lomax they had the MOM IMO as he both saved and made crucial tries. We lost JJB (who made an error for their first try in coming out too fast but IMO Sinfield was equally guilty for coming out too slow) and with him we lost some line speed and our kick chase was slower. Clarkson is just a plodder and Singleton was ineffective once again. In the end it was a brilliant last minute try that took the game from us and we should applaud the Saints rather than seek to blame.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach12106No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2015Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10393.jpg
OBN Wannabe:10393.jpg

We could have been more ambitious when we took the first kick at goal, and I didn't think the halves created enough opportunities for the outside backs. But Saints defended superbly and it was a terrific game to watch. I refuse to be too miserable about that at this point in the season. Should probably have found a way to win, but lots of credit to Saints. They fought, they scrapped, they hung in the game and they were dangerous and unpredictable in attack when it counted.

We have to look at some things to work on.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman9530
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1157.jpg
It's not how much talent you've got, it's what you do with it that counts.:1157.jpg

Here's what happened in my opinion.

Saints were better than we could reasonably expected them to be given the number of players they had missing. The defended competently but we didn't really ask them to do much more than that. Like all Saints teams they looked to play an attractive and expansive game.

We thought we could bully the younger Saints pack and failed to do that. We thought we could play very close to the line and failed to do that as there wasn't sufficient movement from dummy runners meaning we played one out rugby. Our Halves failed to create anything of note in their 40 (I was going to say 20 but it was actually further out than that). We have forgotten how to offload to support players.

Our coach made a blunder in putting Ward at 4, the fact that the kid made 34 tackles simply goes to show he really played in the second row meaning we were a back light. The continual lack of usage of a sub, especially when we have injuries during the game, is a big black mark against us. It does us no favours whatsoever.

There was no lack of heart, a trait you associate with a Leeds team under McDermott, but equally there was no "smarts" on show either, which falls into the same category.

The "last man standing" attitude of this group under the current coaching set up is laudable, but as the halves get slower (we must have the slowest halves in the competition now) we are failing to compensate by playing with more depth.

The start to the season in terms of results and defence have been good, but we are failing to play with much structure in attack and still rely on "miracle plays" from individuals.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg

I would agree with all batleyrhino put.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1385No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"Leeds is the greatest club in Rugby League" Alex Murphy 2011:

Quote: batleyrhino "Here's what happened in my opinion.

We thought we could bully the younger Saints pack and failed to do that..'"

I don't think that was ever going to happen to be honest, we've not got the players capable of doing that. I've not seen a Leeds pack really take a game to decent opponents for quite a while. If the games against Wire, huddersfield and saints had been a boxing match I'd say our pack is behind on points after 3 rounds.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

Quote: batleyrhino "Here's what happened in my opinion.

Saints were better than we could reasonably expected them to be given the number of players they had missing. The defended competently but we didn't really ask them to do much more than that. Like all Saints teams they looked to play an attractive and expansive game.

We thought we could bully the younger Saints pack and failed to do that. We thought we could play very close to the line and failed to do that as there wasn't sufficient movement from dummy runners meaning we played one out rugby. Our Halves failed to create anything of note in their 40 (I was going to say 20 but it was actually further out than that). We have forgotten how to offload to support players.

Our coach made a blunder in putting Ward at 4, the fact that the kid made 34 tackles simply goes to show he really played in the second row meaning we were a back light. The continual lack of usage of a sub, especially when we have injuries during the game, is a big black mark against us. It does us no favours whatsoever.

There was no lack of heart, a trait you associate with a Leeds team under McDermott, but equally there was no "smarts" on show either, which falls into the same category.

The "last man standing" attitude of this group under the current coaching set up is laudable, but as the halves get slower (we must have the slowest halves in the competition now) we are failing to compensate by playing with more depth.

The start to the season in terms of results and defence have been good, but we are failing to play with much structure in attack and still rely on "miracle plays" from individuals.'"

I agree with some of your points but disagree with your conclusions. This season we have played with more structure on attack and defence and the stats and our backs performance before last night clearly underline that.

Whilst I would have played BJB from the start and would certainly have brought him on to break the stalemate it is wrong to suggest our defeat was Wards fault. It is also wrong of others to keep suggestiong our game plan was wrong. We created more than enough field position and repeat sets to win the game. It was our mistakes (Watkins, Ablett, Kirke, JJB, Hardaker and Sinfield for wrong decisions) and poor finishing that cost us, not the game plan. Once the players take the field it is down to them. If they fail to perform blame the players.

I do not know how late in the day Aiton became ill but the game plan included him at 9 for all or part of the game. Burrow would have played all or at least part of the game in the halves and as you point out it was our half backs that looked pedestrian and failed to create the space that they had been doing in previous games. So although the Saints were without many first teamers we also had a major set back late in the day. This is not making excuses as our experience should have overcome this.

However the great thing about sport is that on the day (night) there can always be upsets. Last night the Saints, young and old, played out of their skins. Wellans totally dominated Hardaker out of our attack and Watkins and the wingers were well closed down too. After our forwards dominated early doors their pack hung in and just kept tackling. All this was helped by slowing down our PTB legally and also illegally IMO. In this area we did not match them and their first try came on the back of a schoolboy howler from Watkins, a lazy get up from Kirke (no worse than Saints were doing all the match) and a rush out from JJB. However it was their quick PTB, despite 4 of our players in the tackle, and Roby's rocket pass that made the try.

Finally it was a great try that won the game for them so this was one that got away but at this stage of the season it is no bad thing to have areas of improvement to work on.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach19234No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35376_1277564281.gif
[img:35s0tdes]http://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/12/34/74/45/lr200913.gif[/img:35s0tdes]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35376.gif

JC whilst I agree our approach and structures have been much better thus far this season I still maintain we got that attacking structure completely wrong last night.
At the game we saw Watkins and Briscoe in acres of space in their half yet we continually dropped the ball off onto an inside runner and kept going back left into traffic.
We also ended too many sets with kicks that didn't challenge the defence enough especially in the first half and whilst I give ST's full credit for a deserved win I think we got too much wrong with the ball.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg

Quote: rhinoms "JC whilst I agree our approach and structures have been much better thus far this season I still maintain we got that attacking structure completely wrong last night.
At the game we saw Watkins and Briscoe in acres of space in their half yet we continually dropped the ball off onto an inside runner and kept going back left into traffic.
We also ended too many sets with kicks that didn't challenge the defence enough especially in the first half and whilst I give ST's full credit for a deserved win I think we got too much wrong with the ball.'"

I fully agree with your points, however I believe this was poor execution and poor decision making rather than pre planned tactics. We were trying the same structured attack that has worked so well for us so far - but our timing was off, poor kicks, key players marked out or below par and we let them slow our PTBs down. At the pace and level of commitment displayed last night you only have to be a few degrees undercooked and the opportunity is missed. We did the hard work but failed with finesse. Watkins made more carries than usual but even he couldn't make a clean break. As I said thats sport. Very dissappointing for us but we now know what to work on - but a good exciting game non the less.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Juan Cornetto "I fully agree with your points, however I believe this was poor execution and poor decision making rather than pre planned tactics. We were trying the same structured attack that has worked so well for us so far - but our timing was off, poor kicks, key players marked out or below par.'"

...... So no doubt you would agree that he-that-can-do-no-wrong should drop the guilty parties..... And play Moon alongside Burrow at half back with the "classy" BJB brought into the threequarter line. a014.gif

G1
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32302No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
982.jpg
[quote:1pqtnbtj]Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.[/quote:1pqtnbtj] Kevin Sinfield:982.jpg

Quote: Gotcha " It would be embarrassing against that particular line up to lose.'"

You OK flower? Been worried about you since Friday. Got over it yet?

G1
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32302No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
982.jpg
[quote:1pqtnbtj]Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.[/quote:1pqtnbtj] Kevin Sinfield:982.jpg

Quote: Biff Tannen "he did have a stinker last week but I always thought Ward would make a decent centre.im quite happy we are giving him another shot there,he surely cant be as bad and we will probably be able to say for sure after this game if he has any future in that role, as last week could have just been one of those days for him which happen to any player anytime.'"

I think we can say for sure.

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68072.jpg

Quote: G1 "I think we can say for sure.'"

Yep, he struggled again.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg

Quote: G1 "You OK flower? Been worried about you since Friday. Got over it yet?'"

No, I can not get the red colour from my cheeks. It was embarrassing.

But I have refrained from the calls that others have made,and just stuck to what was clear on the night.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9730No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39092.jpg
Ryan Bailey (11/11/83) - The Most Feared Man In Super League The Most Feared Man In Super League (TMFMISL) * Coined by thebloodbath * Inspired by Bailey *:39092.jpg

Quote: thebloodbath "I remember a couple of seasons ago Saints coming over to Headingley quite depleted with most expecting a Leeds win and they royally turned us over.

No game is certain....unless you're playing London.'"

I did pre-warn Friday's banana skin.

208 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
208 posts in 15 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.0908203125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
Vancouver Le
Recent
Seeking favourite images from grounds - past or present
retrosports
Recent
Questions for Ste Mills
Jacko1500mm
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Tonights match v HKR
Or thane
9s
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Emagdnim13
17s
TV games not Wire
Cherry_Warri
46s
Rumours thread
PopTart
49s
TV Games - Not Hull
bishops fing
1m
Vancouver Le
1m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
leedsbarmyar
1m
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
1m
retrosports
1m
Film game
Boss Hog
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
retrosports
TODAY
Grand final Tickets
NickyKiss
TODAY
RLFANS News
TODAY
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Questions for Ste Mills
Jacko1500mm
TODAY
Decision on the field
MR FRISK
TODAY
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
morleys_deck
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Tony Fax
TODAY
Sam Burgess
morleys_deck
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
Or thane
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
TODAY
Championship Awards
FIL
TODAY
Season tickets
Ilkley Fax
TODAY
Best Semi
sir adrian m
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
AgbriggAmble
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Gran..
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 2,584 80,13214,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sat 12th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R30
18:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sat 12th Oct
SL
18:00
Hull KR-Wigan
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 5th Oct
CH 29 York27-10Widnes
SL 29 Wigan38-0Leigh
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 28 759 336 423 46
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 29 580 442 138 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 28 682 479 203 32
Widnes 27 561 502 59 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22