FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Leeds Rhinos > RD 24 | St Helens (A)
199 posts in 14 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3615
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: ArthurClues "Wasn't surprised by the quality of his distribution or his obvious composure, but was impressed with the physical side of his game. Looked more robust than I expected given his time away and a full pre season will only add to that. Bit of a test for Agar given the praise that has been showered on Leeming, but if he's in any doubt he should ask the likes of Gale, Sezer and Austin who they think should be starting nine.'"

I dont think Agar is in any doubt mate. He was truly gutted when Corey quit. He loved him and wanted him to be his starter. Throughout last 18 months or so hes always said he wishes Corey would come back and i know he was excited when talks begun. He belives Corey could be "the jewel in the crown" for Leeds thats how highly he thinks of him.

Early days for Corey but a very positive start. I really hope this works out. Ive watched him from.scholarship and always tnought he was the answer to our long term hooking issues. Best young 9 weve produced in years.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3157No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Seth "...a better performance (not result) that’s reflective of the 17 out there. The poor start isn’t just isolated to the game last night but indicative of a number of recent games and it’s not improved, some wins against poorer opposition have masked that.

That Leeds could still make the playoffs given the horrendous injuries etc is a credit to them for large parts but also a sobering reflection on the overall standard of the competition at the moment with only really HKR improving their stock from last year.Wigan, FC, Huddersfield, Salford, Wakefield all going backwards.'"

Your a harsh critic mate, and probably bit unrealistic with your expectations for the team we had out.....

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4595
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_77264.jpg

Quote: Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! "I dont think Agar is in any doubt mate. He was truly gutted when Corey quit. He loved him and wanted him to be his starter. Throughout last 18 months or so hes always said he wishes Corey would come back and i know he was excited when talks begun. He belives Corey could be "the jewel in the crown" for Leeds thats how highly he thinks of him.

Early days for Corey but a very positive start. I really hope this works out. Ive watched him from.scholarship and always tnought he was the answer to our long term hooking issues. Best young 9 weve produced in years.'"

I still reckon we could have the England front row in the next 2-3 years,

Just hope he keeps the tiger in his tank now.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6607No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

[code][/code]
Quote: Shabino "Your a harsh critic mate, and probably bit unrealistic with your expectations for the team we had out.....'"

I just think Im able to assess the capacity of the side available and whether its got near its capabilities.

The most disappointing thing were those opening minutes from the off, running down dark alleys on the short side, passing to players knees, not getting to a kick then backing up with penalties. Regardless of players missing (we had 9 of our 1-17 playing) we should be better than that at least.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member13362No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3357_1596183529.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3357.jpg

Quote: Seth "[code][/code]I just think Im able to assess the capacity of the side available and whether its got near its capabilities.

The most disappointing thing were those opening minutes from the off, running down dark alleys on the short side, passing to players knees, not getting to a kick then backing up with penalties. Regardless of players missing (we had 9 of our 1-17 playing) we should be better than that at least.'"

It was disappointing but Saints were just up for it and we weren’t, I don’t think theres much to over analyse, they need to put it to bed and move on, I don’t think last night defines the players.

Look at the season as a whole, weve had two really poor games, that IMO isn’t too bad considering the disruption and schedule

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4595
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg

Quote: christopher "It was disappointing but Saints were just up for it and we weren’t, I don’t think theres much to over analyse, they need to put it to bed and move on, I don’t think last night defines the players.

Look at the season as a whole, weve had two really poor games, that IMO isn’t too bad considering the disruption and schedule'"

Yep agree with this. We just lost the battle physically and didn’t help ourselves with errors again.

I suspect Walters will lose his place to Gannon on that performance, but having Lui back is significant. He’s been good this year when he has played, and the knock on effect is that we get other players in best positions too.

I don’t think a game or two in the play-offs will do us any harm. It’s good experience for a developing squad.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach6607No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: christopher "It was disappointing but Saints were just up for it and we weren’t, I don’t think theres much to over analyse, they need to put it to bed and move on, I don’t think last night defines the players.

Look at the season as a whole, weve had two really poor games, that IMO isn’t too bad considering the disruption and schedule'"

I think that’s a bit generous, there’s been a few more than that and certainly some halves to forget and that’s the concern recently as against Wigan, Wakefield, Hull and last night we’ve had poor first halves. (Mitigating factors aside)

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3615
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

£1.25m of cap unavailable last night. Crazy really.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2228No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19722.gif
Woody: Can I pour you a draft, Mr. Peterson? Norm: A little early, isn't it Woody? Woody: For a beer? Norm: No, for stupid questions.:19722.gif

As others have said, Johnson was impressive last night. His distribution/organisation looked good and his passing to both sides was good. He was limping a bit and didn't appear at dummy half for a couple of sets, not sure if that was down to injury or fatigue but he did well.
Really hope he has rediscovered his desire to play SL.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player2395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Seth "[code][/code]I just think Im able to assess the capacity of the side available and whether its got near its capabilities.

The most disappointing thing were those opening minutes from the off, running down dark alleys on the short side, passing to players knees, not getting to a kick then backing up with penalties. Regardless of players missing (we had 9 of our 1-17 playing) we should be better than that at least.'"

I get what you are saying and it is frustrating re passing and inability to kick, however that is very much reflective of some of our key players (last night) capabilities. We know that Dywers distribution from dummy half is erratic, we know that Myler's field kicking is substandard. Both of those things were never going to change and to have any chance of getting in arm wrestle against Saints they would have had to.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4595
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg

If he stays he's the natural successor for Dwyer: however he's a different player and he might well be challenging Leeming too. Which is a good position to be in.

Last night wasn't without some bright lights but on the whole, individually and collectively a performance to forget. Credit to Saints too - mark of a champion side to take a loss and respond in that fashion when really there's nothing more on the line than pride. Not that we offered up many speedbumps in the road for them.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member13362No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3357_1596183529.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3357.jpg

Quote: Seth "I think that’s a bit generous, there’s been a few more than that and certainly some halves to forget and that’s the concern recently as against Wigan, Wakefield, Hull and last night we’ve had poor first halves. (Mitigating factors aside)'"

But even with those bad halves of games we’ve manage to get a win or st leadt not capitulate, last night was bound to happen at some point.

You cannot discount the injuries/bans and disruption that’s happened, if we had gone through the season with a relatively stable and fit squad (like saints catslsn and Warrington) and we were scratching around for 6th spot Id be very disappointed indeed.

Unfortunately this season is what it is

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4595
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg

Quote: ArthurClues "I get what you are saying and it is frustrating re passing and inability to kick, however that is very much reflective of some of our key players (last night) capabilities. We know that Dywers distribution from dummy half is erratic, we know that Myler's field kicking is substandard. Both of those things were never going to change and to have any chance of getting in arm wrestle against Saints they would have had to.'"

Honestly I wouldn't have Myler in the halves at Leeds unless there was noone else: I'd pick Broadbent, O'Connor, Martin, Smith ahead of him. His kicking makes me so angry I can't deal with it.

He is much better at FB where he can use his skill, roam about and provide the extra man in attack. I still hope and expect Walker to go past him for #1 next season though.

I'm starting to get Marty's rage about hooker as well - you can see all the pace and momentum ebb away from us with these constantly erratic passes. I'm not sure we had the pack to compete with Saints in any case last night, but we should have done a bit better.

If we do manage to get a fully fit squad before the start of next year, I'm really interested to see Agar's selection because there will be some good players not in the 17.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1488No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: christopher "But even with those bad halves of games we’ve manage to get a win or st leadt not capitulate, last night was bound to happen at some point.

You cannot discount the injuries/bans and disruption that’s happened, if we had gone through the season with a relatively stable and fit squad (like saints catslsn and Warrington) and we were scratching around for 6th spot Id be very disappointed indeed.

Unfortunately this season is what it is'"
you probably would have been disappointed (but would have got over it quickly ) . we are looking better for next year and cas are looking worse but with a full side this year we would prob have been playing for 5th or 6th with cas and hull , kr i think are flattered by the lesser games played ...... the best years have come from settled sides 98 99 2004 mid 2005 2015 and (2017 when others had injuries )

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7293
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2074_1714824298.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2074.jpg

This game underlined why Saints are the best team in SL IMO. They didn't really get out of first gear, not that they needed to either. I thought they were dead unlucky to lose against Catalans, who have flattered to deceive all year. While Catalans winning the GF might be good for RL geopolitics, I'm sorry, that team simply doesn't deserve it - not enough skill and far too many thugs (Tomkins, McIlorum, Maloney etc). I hope Saints are wound up enough to really put them to the sword when it matters. I'm still baffled as to why Catalans managed to get a game called off for their backroom staff catching COVID, and not get fined points by the RFL.

As for Leeds, a few positives - Myler looked sharp, as did Johnson when he came on. Some real selection headaches to come next year, even if recent history suggests we'll go another full season without being able to play a full-strength team (I hope the Bentley injury isn't bad).

I reckon if we'd had Tetevano or Oledski to take the edge of Walmsley's destructive running, it could have been a different scoreline, but then again the same could be said if the whole team hadn't been so soft in the first half. Running the ball on the last tackle of the first set said it all really - and it went downhill rapidly from there.

The numbers of players missing doesn't tell the whole story IMO (we probably can't count Walker, for example, who has been out all season). Hurrell likewise is too inconsistent. Mellor, Gannon, Sutcliffe, McLelland, and Vuniyayawa might have made incremental improvements but I doubt would have had a major impact. The real key losses for Leeds are players like Gale, Lui, Tetevano, and Oledski - we need 3/4 of them available if we have any hope of progressing in the play-offs this season (plus Myler, Prior, Newman, Leeming and Martin).

199 posts in 14 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
199 posts in 14 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.3125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
bonaire
16m
Leeds
the-bearded-
28m