Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_29557.png

Don't know if an outsider view of some of this helps but, for what it's worth, I think Ryan Hall is the best winger in superleague. However, I don't think he played the best in superleague last season and perhaps even the season before. I know on the face of it those statements may seem contradictory but what I mean is that in terms of ability he is the best but, for whatever reason, several other wingers were more effective during the 2014 regular season. Whether this is down to his centre/wing partnership, the fact that he is playing in an underperforming team or the extra workload (his number of carries is significantly in excess of every other winger), I couldn't say. Perhaps his performances in the 4 nations is an indicator though. His partnership with Sarginson was a joy to behold and he looked every inch the player we know he can be. Did he play to that standard with any regularity during the domestic season? Obviously I didn't get to see all his games but, from the limited times I did see him, he didn't seem to carry the same threat as I would normally expect. That's not to say he was ineffective of course! Far from it. Just not as dangerous as we have come to expect.

The same goes for Hardaker. He is without question one of the best in superleague. I think most teams would take him in a heartbeat. Again though, whether for similar reasons to Hall or because of the problems he had with the disciplinary, he only showed his best form in a handful of matches.

Last season I said without fear of contradiction that Leeds had the best back 5 of any team in the competition. It's interesting that this didn't turn into the onfield performances we all anticipated and, in the end, they were outperformed by several other teams backs. Notably Watkins was overtaken by Sarginson as England's best centre and many wingers comfortably outscored the Leeds pair. Going into 2015, is this board still of the opinion that the Leeds 5 are the best in the league as was generally accepted at the beginning of last season? It's perhaps stating the obvious a little but, on the evidence of last year at least, I'm not convinced they are.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach24329
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11400_1493633977.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_11400.gif

yes they are as a unit. the problem has been,for me, the ponderous half backs. both have been supurb players but are shadows of their former selves. by the time the ball gets wide defences has been set. also the coach prefers to go down the middle. god only knows why with the talent we have wide.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: Phuzzy "Don't know if an outsider view of some of this helps but, for what it's worth, I think Ryan Hall is the best winger in superleague. However, I don't think he played the best in superleague last season and perhaps even the season before. I know on the face of it those statements may seem contradictory but what I mean is that in terms of ability he is the best but, for whatever reason, several other wingers were more effective during the 2014 regular season. Whether this is down to his centre/wing partnership, the fact that he is playing in an underperforming team or the extra workload (his number of carries is significantly in excess of every other winger), I couldn't say. Perhaps his performances in the 4 nations is an indicator though. His partnership with Sarginson was a joy to behold and he looked every inch the player we know he can be. Did he play to that standard with any regularity during the domestic season? Obviously I didn't get to see all his games but, from the limited times I did see him, he didn't seem to carry the same threat as I would normally expect. That's not to say he was ineffective of course! Far from it. Just not as dangerous as we have come to expect.

The same goes for Hardaker. He is without question one of the best in superleague. I think most teams would take him in a heartbeat. Again though, whether for similar reasons to Hall or because of the problems he had with the disciplinary, he only showed his best form in a handful of matches.

Last season I said without fear of contradiction that Leeds had the best back 5 of any team in the competition. It's interesting that this didn't turn into the onfield performances we all anticipated and, in the end, they were outperformed by several other teams backs. Notably Watkins was overtaken by Sarginson as England's best centre and many wingers comfortably outscored the Leeds pair. Going into 2015, is this board still of the opinion that the Leeds 5 are the best in the league as was generally accepted at the beginning of last season? It's perhaps stating the obvious a little but, on the evidence of last year at least, I'm not convinced they are.'"

No, as the per carry stats show we'd be better with a back 3 of Paul Wellens, Gene Ormsby and Omari Caro.

Seriously I think we have the best back 3 in the competition but I remain unconvinced by our centres. Moon is not a wingers centre which is bad when you have the best winger in the league outside him. Watkins has the skills but needs to impose himself a lot more

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Gotcha "Actually Sal it started off by you saying he wasn't the best fullback in our competition, and that there were 3/4 as good if not better than him. Even then that was only in response to me saying, had we not switched him to fullback we would never have had the best fullback in the competition, which was in regards to writing him off in positions before playing it, just giving an example of giving a chance before writing it off.

Now you seem to be saying slightly differently, and fair do if you are now accepting your initial response was a tad over reaction.'"

No I don't - I think there are 3/4 FBs in SL on a par of which Hardaker is one - they all have different skills and deficiencies. As the stats suggest Hardaker isn't head and shoulders above all the other FBs in SL as you and many on here would suggest. I respect your entitlement to an opinion I just don't agree.

On the second point most threequarters have the basic skill set to make a good stab at playing FB e.g. Hardaker I think Watkins would make an even better FB than Zac. Having the skill set to play Stand Off is a completely different proposition. I haven't seen Hardaker display the skill set I would suggest is required to play 6 in a top SL side. He never played 6 as a junior at the Lions and he didn't play 6 consistently at Rovers under Powell - quite why Powell thinks he could play 6 now is a mystery.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: tad rhino "yes they are as a unit. the problem has been,for me, the ponderous half backs. both have been supurb players but are shadows of their former selves. by the time the ball gets wide defences has been set. also the coach prefers to go down the middle. god only knows why with the talent we have wide.'"

That would require some new ideas perhaps something the coach has exhausted - also you have to have the players to be able to execute something Leeds will struggle with until changes are made which will be in 2017 when both half backs will retire.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

1 Warrington 2 Hull 3 Wigan 4 Castleford 4 Castleford 5 St Helens 6 Leeds 7 Catalans 8 Hudedersfield 9 Widnes 10 Wakefield 11 Salford 12 Leigh Playoffs:Warrington Hull Wigan Castleford Four sides rejoining: Widnes Wakefield Salford Leigh GF Winners Warrington CC Winners Wigan:

Quote: Him "Why didn't these other full backs get into the dream team or the England squad?'"

Nail, head, hit.
My thoughts exactly.
Still what do we, or those who select the Dream team or the England squad know compared to the coaching wizards on here?

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Old Feller "Nail, head, hit.
My thoughts exactly.
Still what do we, or those who select the Dream team or the England squad know compared to the coaching wizards on here?'"

Ha ha the dream team - you seriously use that as a guide as to who the best players in SL are?

On the selection for the England side - some are FBs were unavailable for selection due to not being English How many tests did Zac play on the tour down under, the coaches obviously had a lot of confidence in him given the FB they chose had the opposite skill set to Zac i.e. poor under the high ball, not a great defender, not a tackle buster but a more creative attacker - bizarre that given your earlier praise.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4938
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2018Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18261_1413138907.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18261.jpg

Quote: Old Feller "Nail, head, hit.
My thoughts exactly.
Still what do we, or those who select the Dream team or the England squad know compared to the coaching wizards on here?'"

Aye.

There ain't too many Dream Teams selected where the 7th placed SL club gets 5 of their players included.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10145_1279728778.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10145.png

Quote: William Eve "Aye.

There ain't too many Dream Teams selected where the 7th placed SL club gets 5 of their players included.'"

To be fair it sums up both the league and where we are as a club.

We have some top players, but that team is increasingly becoming made up of players who are past their best.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1309No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2021Jun 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
62325_1407754004.gif
[quote="Jamie Peacock MBE":af0ys02h]'There's been a couple of times during my career when I've thought about moving elsewhere but, when I run out in front of 17,000, 18,000 people at Headingley, I've thought 'nah, this is the place for me'.[/quote:af0ys02h] [img:af0ys02h]http://orig08.deviantart.net/430a/f/2012/119/7/9/wolverine_sign_by_zekua-d4xydfq.jpg[/img:af0ys02h]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_62325.gif

Quote: Sal Paradise "Ha ha the dream team - you seriously use that as a guide as to who the best players in SL are?

On the selection for the England side - some are FBs were unavailable for selection due to not being English How many tests did Zac play on the tour down under, the coaches obviously had a lot of confidence in him given the FB they chose had the opposite skill set to Zac i.e. poor under the high ball, not a great defender, not a tackle buster but a more creative attacker - bizarre that given your earlier praise.'"

Names, Lieutenant!

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

Quote: William Eve "Aye.

There ain't too many Dream Teams selected where the 7th placed SL club gets 5 of their players included.'"

Yeah, but the other 8 were sooooo awful.

RankPostsTeam
International Star982
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
71562_1402440709.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_71562.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "Ha ha the dream team - you seriously use that as a guide as to who the best players in SL are?'"

I may be being overly pedantic and / or philosophical but isn't the 'Dream team' arguably the one that achieves the end goal? (In this case winning the SL?)

Obviously I understand the concept of 'dream team' (ie. the best players in each position across all those competing) but put it this way - would you rather there were 8 or 9 Leeds players but no SL title, or 0 or 1 Leeds players, but the title?

I think some of the 5 who got in were more by default rather more than anything else.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach24329
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11400_1493633977.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_11400.gif

Quote: Sal Paradise "That would require some new ideas perhaps something the coach has exhausted - also you have to have the players to be able to execute something Leeds will struggle with until changes are made which will be in 2017 when both half backs will retire.'"

yes I think a new coach is needed. BM has been frustrating. the trophy haul, for which he deserves fantastic credit has been tempered with some abject displays, odd use of subs and bizarre tactics. its rumoured he will move upstairs at the end of this season to oversee RL and RU sides. a good move for him and the club I would say.
A new coach would then be free to overhaul the side and possibly this is why major recruitment has been left to next season

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5465
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
29557_1715786245.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_29557.png

Quote: ThePrinter "No, as the per carry stats show we'd be better with a back 3 of Paul Wellens, Gene Ormsby and Omari Caro.

Seriously I think we have the best back 3 in the competition but I remain unconvinced by our centres. Moon is not a wingers centre which is bad when you have the best winger in the league outside him. Watkins has the skills but needs to impose himself a lot more'"

I'm not sure Briscoe could currently be considered one of the best wingers in the league but I think Hall and Hardaker are fair shouts. I think both Wigan wingers, Monaghan, Makinson and a couple others are ahead of Briscoe, certainly in terms of last year's superleague form, but if you mean as a complete unit I think it's a fair opinion. For my own part I don't think there's much in it with the Wigan back three though to be honest.

I agree with your second point too. It was a revelation to see how Hall's form improved at the four nations playing alongside Sarginson. I know he always seems able to raise his game at international level but, nevertheless, they really seemed to gel as a partnership. Sarginson certainly had the knack of creating the space Hall thrives in and we all know the standard of his finishing when he gets that kind of space! I think this raises a point that Tad Rhino brings up in his post. I'm not convinced that the Leeds back 5 are the best as a unit. Individually they have all the credentials but it's the partnerships that appear lacking to me.

Just as a point of comparison with Wigan (which is obviously the team I see most) it seems to me that the partnerships are more than the sum of their parts. Burgess had an outstanding first season playing outside Sarginson culminating in being nominated for YPOTY and elevation into the national squad. Charnley scored 19 tries in just 16 games playing outside Gelling who was immense in making the hard yards which, as a result, made it much easier for Charnley to do what he does best in finishing tries. This last partnership in particular maybe highlights the problem best. The stats suggest Hall is doing far too much work away from the tryline. I don't know the reasons for this, of course, but I'm guessing from your post and others that it's a combination of misfunctioning halves and Moon simply not putting him in space as he perhaps should be.

Whatever the reasons, I think it's fair to say that the combinations as they stand aren't really getting the best out of the individual players. This might be a simplistic solution (albeit one that's been known to work) but has a switch of wing/centre partners ever been tried? Watkins' and Hall's games seem more suited to me, although I would qualify that by saying that is based purely on skillset rather than ever having seen either played 'out of position'. Perhaps the same could be true for Moon and Briscoe?

263 posts in 19 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
263 posts in 19 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Recruitment rumours and links
Barbed Wire
2m
Rumours thread
Wildmoggy
5m