FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Leeds Rhinos > SL RD 2 | Wigan Warriors (A)
222 posts in 16 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9058
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23603.jpg

Quote: KaeruJim "Unthinkable but does Watkins need some more time to get fit and confident away from 1st team?
I guess we just give him more time and be patient but he’s quite off the pace right now.'"

Definitely well off it early doors although I thought he improved as the game went on. Call me an optimist but I don't think it'll take him that long now, couple more games maybe.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4899No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Better improved performance last night. We got shafted by ref first half good and proper. Second half we made just too many errors with ball in hand and you cannot beat anybody if you keep turning the ball over. Walker was awful he does not like putting his body on the line at all and his passing is atrocious.
Myler awfull first half but played better second half. Thought Merrin went well actually, glimpses of what he is capable off. Ferres excellent more of the same please, Peteru looked good needs an extended run and think he will be a big asset, Dinaldson plays well above his size. The whole side just not gelling yet but it's getting there, the squad seems a bit more together this year, which is good, keep improving week on week and we will start winning some games, hopefully get the first win at Salford next week, as cannot see us getting anything at saints.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4899No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Clearwing "Definitely well off it early doors although I thought he improved as the game went on. Call me an optimist but I don't think it'll take him that long now, couple more games maybe.'"

It will not take him long to get back to best form I agree, players like Watkins are too good to play dual reg his rehabilitation as to be in the first team. Patience full stop is required with this team said it before we need to see where we are in 10-12 games then from 12-20 games not two or even first 4-6.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_77264.jpg

It’s probably as well that we’re getting these losable away fixtures to the top sides out of the way early on actually. These are games even a fully functional Leeds might lose later in the season, whereas we could have a chance at home on the return fixtures if we gel.
Snagging a win away at Salford would be useful, but I don’t think it will be an easy task at all.
I’m not sure Singleton gets back in next time unless there’s an injury or he has a blinder for Fev.
No point in blaming the referee - I don’t rate Thaler but after the forwards laid a platform, our skill level in the backs just wasn’t good enough to win the game. We’re just not good enough at the moment to control games and apply consistent pressure to opposition.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

The overall performance against Wigan was a big improvement and we were on the wrong end of some dubious decisions that gifted them 12 points and the all important momentum. The scoreline flattered Wigan and we had a better metre per carry than they did.

We were also not helped by poor performances from our half backs (again) and a really terrible performance from Walker where nothing went right for him and he is unlikely to have such a poor match again. Having said that his flaws were exposed. He is not yet being physically robust enough for a full season of SL at fullback and he looks to me to be trying too hard to go for glory every time he has the ball. He now rarely passes (perhaps why his passing is poor) and is now more easily dealt with by the opposition who know he is not going to pass (a decease that Briscoe suffer from too)

Our back three all were not up to scratch and in a game where we let in 6 tries between them they only made 8 tackles with 6 missed tackles, 6 errors and only one clean break (Handley)

So what are our options?

I certainly would be looking to give McLelland a run soon. From what I have seen and heard he has the talent, toughness and attitude to make it and this should trump any lack of experience. All youngsters until their first game lack experience at this level eg Walker and our golden generation.

We could give young Walker a rest and move Lolohea to F/B giving McLelland a run at 6 or we could bring him in to replace Myler, who had been the least effect of the halfbacks.

However I favour putting McLelland on the bench in place of Parcell so he can cover both halves and hooker (he has played at hooker) and we give him a run in both positions from the bench.

As regards Merrin, I like the look of him and on another day his offloads would have led to victories. I think he is not fully fit which is perhaps why they are spelling him at prop. If he can regain full fitness he can move to the back row and play more minutes.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_77264.jpg

McClelland will get some chances in first team this year I think. I wouldn’t be moving Tui around just yet, he needs time at 6 to show what he can and can’t do.
Myler for me is under a question though because we already know what he’s about. He’s not great in defence already and perhaps, we wouldn’t have too much to lose giving Callum a run at 7 sometime. He’s lining up at 7 for the academy this weekend.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7356
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2074_1714824298.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2074.jpg

Quote: KaeruJim "McClelland will get some chances in first team this year I think. I wouldn’t be moving Tui around just yet, he needs time at 6 to show what he can and can’t do.
Myler for me is under a question though because we already know what he’s about. He’s not great in defence already and perhaps, we wouldn’t have too much to lose giving Callum a run at 7 sometime. He’s lining up at 7 for the academy this weekend.'"

Agreed. It's too early to bring in McClelland, but he should get some chances later in the season, or sooner if there are injuries etc.

Myler needs to deliver sooner rather than later though, and show he is worthy of being on the fringes of the England team. He's been around the squad long enough (unlike Lolohea), hasn't got the excuse of youth (unlike Walker), and as far as I know, isn't returning from a serious injury (unlike Watkins). It can be difficult for half-backs, but he wasn't playing behind a beaten pack against Wigan, yet was still outshone by Williams (who seems to be finding his form and learning to control games). Hopefully it is just a matter of getting used to the new coaching setup, and the combinations with Lolohea...

RankPostsTeam
International Star916No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I think Furner will get it all right eventually however i don't think it will be this season. He has a huge task of bringing that forward line's age down but making sure he is bringing quality in. With the reduced interchanges i can see your forwards really starting to struggle in the final quarter of the season. I honestly don't think Hurrell will get there, it seems that the ploy is to get it to him and try to get some barge over try's and his defence so far is a little suspect. That could come on with game time of course but he is built more like a RU centre than a RL one. I would seriously put him in the back row. Where that leaves Sutcliffe though i don't know. He is really stuck in his career at the moment. I think Leeds will have to be patient for now and accept that the job that Furner has is a complete rebuild. That is a lot of work. I really rate Walker but he was bad last night. Be interesting to see if Golding get's a run next time out. Will also be interesting to see if Hurrell gets a lengthy ban for the headbutt.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach24319
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11400_1493633977.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_11400.gif

you were going so well until the 'headbutt'.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member7146
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Thought the backs were generally poor.
Ferres, Dwyer and Peteru had decent games and I thought Donaldson put in a good stint in defence when he came on.
Be interesting to see who gets left out when Crosby is fit.
I agree about Ward every time he gets tackled I look to see if he gets up.
I'm saying nothing about Walker other than he is still young.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain144No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2019Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

ReWalker.I've said before his heart is not at Leeds,vastly overrated.

RankPostsTeam
International Star220No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
64951_1350404685.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_64951.jpg

Quote: Lanzarote Rhino "ReWalker.I've said before his heart is not at Leeds,vastly overrated.'"
I couldn't agree more. Walker has potential but is not as good as all the hype he gets from Sky commentators and some fans. I think he's guilty of believing all the hype and often thinks he can take on the opposition by himself. For me, Golding, who's heart is in Leeds, may be not so flash but he's more reliable and always gives 100%.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1010
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Cherry_Warrior "I think Furner will get it all right eventually however i don't think it will be this season. He has a huge task of bringing that forward line's age down but making sure he is bringing quality in. With the reduced interchanges i can see your forwards really starting to struggle in the final quarter of the season. I honestly don't think Hurrell will get there, it seems that the ploy is to get it to him and try to get some barge over try's and his defence so far is a little suspect. That could come on with game time of course but he is built more like a RU centre than a RL one. I would seriously put him in the back row. Where that leaves Sutcliffe though i don't know. He is really stuck in his career at the moment. I think Leeds will have to be patient for now and accept that the job that Furner has is a complete rebuild. That is a lot of work. I really rate Walker but he was bad last night. Be interesting to see if Golding get's a run next time out. Will also be interesting to see if Hurrell gets a lengthy ban for the headbutt.'"

I’m so glad Leeds don’t go by the Wigan fan coaching manual.
As for he can’t defend, I’d ask Hardaker if his ribs are a little sore still this morning. What do we know though, he’s only been a centre in the NRL for the past few years.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3615
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Swoggy Loiner "I’m so glad Leeds don’t go by the Wigan fan coaching manual.
As for he can’t defend, I’d ask Hardaker if his ribs are a little sore still this morning. What do we know though, he’s only been a centre in the NRL for the past few years.'"

He can't defend stick him in the back row was the bit that puzzled me!!!!!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9058
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23603.jpg

Quote: xparksider "I think he's guilty of believing all the hype and often thinks he can take on the opposition by himself. '"

I think he makes some bad decisions over when to take the line on. That often improves with experience - and ateotd who wants to watch a fullback who never runs? However I would also add that some players never learn.

222 posts in 16 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
222 posts in 16 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.08740234375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Todays match v Saints
just_browny
1m
Film game
Wanderer
4m