JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2013Nov 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4299.jpg
The secret of life "Don't take note of the man that stuck but look to your front and trust to your luck":4299.jpg

at half time my lass felt a little unwell so we moved from the southstand to the western terrace as there was space for her to sit down so I was approx 5 yards from the try in question and hodgeson touched it but on the line. the lines man was about the same distance and waved for 20 meter restart the in goal touch was a good 20 yards away and with at least 2 players blocking his sight? I can only assume ben has more respect for the in goal officail than the linesman.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman5442
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1230.gif
“You are playing a game of football this afternoon but more than that you are playing for England, and more even than that, you are playing for right versus wrong. You will win because you have to win. Don’t forget that message from home. England expects every one of you to do his duty.”:1230.gif

havnt seen a replay but thought it was a reasonable call on the night, benefit of the doubt to the attack was probably taken into account
no question of a try if it was defended correctly!

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

Quote: roo "at half time my lass felt a little unwell so we moved from the southstand to the western terrace as there was space for her to sit down so I was approx 5 yards from the try in question and hodgeson touched it but on the line. the lines man was about the same distance and waved for 20 meter restart the in goal touch was a good 20 yards away and with at least 2 players blocking his sight? I can only assume ben has more respect for the in goal officail than the linesman.'"

Difficult one for the ref. You have extra eyes on the pitch to take advice from. If the in-goal judge calls it a try then you have to take his advice (unless you clearly saw different). What you do when there are two conflicting repsorts I don't know, but my guess is that the in-goal judge has "jurisdiction" over these types of decisions relating to in-goal incidents.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach14181No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
14338_1615904391.jpg
[url=https://imgbb.com/:262vlrc2][img:262vlrc2]https://i.ibb.co/wzj2Z3c/rsz-1bulldogsbanner.png[/img:262vlrc2][/url:262vlrc2]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_14338.jpg

Quote: rhinoms "It makes me wonder if they call the forward passes and offsides and just get ignored.
'"

Correctomundo!!

Refs always ignore the touchies. They are there to give advice, not to make decisions is what I was told. All this crap you hear in the stands when people "say get your flag up linesman" and the like makes me laugh. They are mic'd up so they are talking all the time.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4259
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2020Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33791.jpg
[b:1swa1vwo]Change is inevitable ...except from a vending machine![/b:1swa1vwo] [quote="BillyRhino":1swa1vwo]So in best IA mode ..<.Possibley World Class, could be the greatest thing since sliced bread....am personally very excited, and confidently expect him to prove my predictions are bang on target.... Alternatively he could be rubbish> IA mode off. :wink:[/quote:1swa1vwo]:33791.jpg

Quote: Harrigan "Correctomundo!!

Refs always ignore the touchies. They are there to give advice, not to make decisions is what I was told. All this crap you hear in the stands when people "say get your flag up linesman" and the like makes me laugh. They are mic'd up so they are talking all the time.'"

Come on Harrigan, what do the Laws actual state is the role of the touch judge? They are there to make decisions (as well as give advice) according to the laws and on two very specific things, upon which the ref should accept the decision of the touch judge?

Ok, here what the laws say -

[iThe Referees shall enforce the Laws of the Game and may impose penalties for any deliberate breach of the Laws. He shall be the sole judge on matters of fact except those relating to touch and touch in-goal (see para. 11 below).[/i Interestingly the rules are wrong here because it says paragraph 11... when it is actually paragraph 10!

So they are not the SOLE judge of matters relating to touch or touch in-goal decisions!

[iAccept Touch Judge decision - 10. The Referee shall accept the decision of an official Touch Judge relating to touch and touch in-goal play and to kicks at goal.[/i

As I understand it, this is about the ball going and a player carrying the ball into touch, so the ref is not allowed to overrule the touch judge on these matters, meaning if a touch judge thinks the ball or a player goes into touch and the ref doesn't see or disagrees he has to concede to the touch judge! However, in Friday's situation are there two decisions to be made, the first being did Hodgeson get the ball down BEFORE it then went touch in-goal?

The laws currently don't say anything about in-goal touch judges and what there role is formally in the decision making structure, interestingly!

Let me tell you what I think Mr Thaler will say if questioned about this... he will say that he thought it was a try and so did the in-goal touch judge and as such he was able to overrule the touch judge in this circumstance as it was 2 against 1. However, looking at the Super League show the in-goal touch judge stands his ground (indicating a try) and the touch-judge waves a 25 restart but you can't see what what Mr Thaler does? For me the rules are clear, the touch judge should be believed (irrespective of whether he actually got it wrong of right when viewed back) and it should not have been awarded.

I think if Mr Thaler did not clearly see the try himself he has actually got the technicalities of this decision wrong and the touch judge should have been believed and no try awarded. He doesn't appear to have consulted the touch judge and just believed the in-goal judge over the touch judge... this is against the laws IMO.

Finally, having looked at it a few times it is not a try for me, the touch judge does appear to be spot on and make the right call. Had Mr Thaler obeyed the laws, he should have waved the try away!!!

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member22289
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg
:4615.jpg

They all got the decision wrong IMO.

It appeared to be a 'No Try' as far as I could tell from the footage available via the Super League Show coverage. That deals with the in goal judge and the referee but for me the touch judge also made the wrong call in indicating a re-start on the twenty as Smith appeared the last player to touch the ball in the field of play.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4259
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2020Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33791.jpg
[b:1swa1vwo]Change is inevitable ...except from a vending machine![/b:1swa1vwo] [quote="BillyRhino":1swa1vwo]So in best IA mode ..<.Possibley World Class, could be the greatest thing since sliced bread....am personally very excited, and confidently expect him to prove my predictions are bang on target.... Alternatively he could be rubbish> IA mode off. :wink:[/quote:1swa1vwo]:33791.jpg

Quote: tvoc "They all got the decision wrong IMO.

It appeared to be a 'No Try' as far as I could tell from the footage available via the Super League Show coverage. That deals with the in goal judge and the referee but for me the touch judge also made the wrong call in indicating a re-start on the twenty as Smith appeared the last player to touch the ball in the field of play.'"

I think I would be inclined to agree, in that Smith does appears to just poke/touch the ball out with his foot very close to the line, so drop out call from touch judge should probably have been the call.

However, my point is about the laws and the technicality of the decision making process, the touch judge has the call on this one for me, not Mr Thaler or the in-goal judge, and Mr Thaler should know that as a first grade ref!

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: tvoc "They all got the decision wrong IMO.

It appeared to be a 'No Try' as far as I could tell from the footage available via the Super League Show coverage. That deals with the in goal judge and the referee but for me the touch judge also made the wrong call in indicating a re-start on the twenty as Smith appeared the last player to touch the ball in the field of play.'"

I may well be wrong here, but at the game I was sure that the touch judge signalled for a drop out, not a twenty restart. And could not understand why the Huddersfield players were going to line up for the twenty restart. Then totally confused when he gave the try.

Isn't the signal for drop out where he points his flag on the try line?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member22289
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg
:4615.jpg

Quote: Inflatable_Armadillo "However, my point is about the laws and the technicality of the decision making process, the touch judge has the call on this one for me, not Mr Thaler or the in-goal judge, and Mr Thaler should know that as a first grade ref!'"

On the assumption that the referee was presented with a split decision who should he side with officially?

I note that the role and jurisdiction of the in goal judge is not defined in your reference material.

For me I'd say the touch judge should be responsible for any touchline decisions, including touch in-goal leaving the in goal judge as arbiter on dead-ball line decisions.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4259
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2020Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33791.jpg

Quote: tvoc "On the assumption that the referee was presented with a split decision who should he side with officially?

I note that the role and jurisdiction of the in goal judge is not defined in your reference material.

For me I'd say the touch judge should be responsible for any touchline decisions, including touch in-goal leaving the in goal judge as arbiter on dead-ball line decisions.'"

My interpretation of the rules, as written, is that it is the touch judge (not the ref) is the final arbiter in the circumstance of ANY call relating to touch or touch in-goal. So strictly speaking, if the touch judge disagrees with the ref on a touch or touch in-goal decision the ref should actually concede to the touch judge in this circumstance only.

So, given that currently in-goal judges don't appear to have any formal status in the rules in this area, then yes, he should have gone with the touch judge and not the touch in-goal judge! However, I bet if you ask him now he will say both he and the in-goal judge thought it was a try and therefore it was 2 against 1... even though the rules don't back him up there either!

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10145_1279728778.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10145.png

Quote: Inflatable_Armadillo "My interpretation of the rules, as written, is that it is the touch judge (not the ref) is the final arbiter in the circumstance of ANY call relating to touch or touch in-goal. So strictly speaking, if the touch judge disagrees with the ref on a touch or touch in-goal decision the ref should actually concede to the touch judge in this circumstance only.

So, given that currently in-goal judges don't appear to have any formal status in the rules in this area, then yes, he should have gone with the touch judge and not the touch in-goal judge! However, I bet if you ask him now he will say both he and the in-goal judge thought it was a try and therefore it was 2 against 1... even though the rules don't back him up there either!'"

I'm not sure you're right here. The final call is always the refs, except for conversions, when 2 touch judges overrule the ref.

No idea about the in-goal judges, my course didnt cover them

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10145_1279728778.png

Quote: Gotcha "I may well be wrong here, but at the game I was sure that the touch judge signalled for a drop out, not a twenty restart. And could not understand why the Huddersfield players were going to line up for the twenty restart. Then totally confused when he gave the try.

Isn't the signal for drop out where he points his flag on the try line?'"

Flag down for both, but arm up, and pointing to the 20m for tap 20, and arm down pointing between the sticks for a dropout

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4259
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2020Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33791.jpg

Quote: leicester_rhino "I'm not sure you're right here. The final call is always the refs, except for conversions, when 2 touch judges overrule the ref.

No idea about the in-goal judges, my course didnt cover them'"

Err, no it's not, read the laws!

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10145_1279728778.png

Quote: Inflatable_Armadillo "Err, no it's not, read the laws!'"

i haven't received mine in the post yet, but I will do.

The final decision is the refs, as the touch judges are only supposed to indicate something if the ref asks. In reality it doesn't work like that though, and the ref should take the TJs view as he is best placed to give that decision.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: leicester_rhino "Flag down for both, but arm up, and pointing to the 20m for tap 20, and arm down pointing between the sticks for a dropout'"

Well I am pretty sure he didn't point ot the 20, and pointed between the sticks instead, but I am not sure he had his arm up, if that makes a difference.

Either way, he was incorrectly over ruled. And of more point to any debate of who's call it is, the touch judge definately had the best view of all the officials.

62 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
62 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.5888671875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
NRL
Benny Profan
10m
Season tickets
Tony Fax
11m
Tonights match v HKR
Lord Tony Sm
23m
Leigh it is
MadDogg
25m
Recruitment rumours and links
rubber ducki
30m
Sam Burgess
rubber ducki
32m
Questions for Ste Mills
PopTart
43m
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Vancouver Le
44m
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Grand Final
FoxyRhino
52m
Film game
Boss Hog
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
34s
York Valkyrie Win Back to Back Grand Finals
RLFANS News
36s
Questions for Ste Mills
PopTart
42s
FoxyRhino
44s
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
44s
Season tickets
Tony Fax
50s
Recruitment rumours and links
rubber ducki
1m
Broncos Ladies
jbuzza
1m
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
Vancouver Le
1m
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Vancouver Le
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
FoxyRhino
TODAY
York Valkyrie Win Back to Back Grand Finals
RLFANS News
TODAY
NRL
Benny Profan
TODAY
Penrith Panthers Secure Fourth Consecutive Title
RLFANS News
TODAY
Seeking favourite images from grounds - past or present
retrosports
TODAY
Grand final Tickets
DannyT
TODAY
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
RoyBoy29
TODAY
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Questions for Ste Mills
PopTart
TODAY
Decision on the field
MR FRISK
TODAY
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
rubber ducki
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Tony Fax
TODAY
Sam Burgess
rubber ducki
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
Lord Tony Sm
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
Championship Awards
FIL
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
York Valkyrie Win Back to Back..
Hunslet Book Relegation Play O..
Penrith Panthers Secure Fourth..
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Gran..
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 2,953 80,13314,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
 FT
Hover 
Melbourne
6-14
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
 FT 
Keighley
6-20
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
 FT 
Bradford
25-12
Featherstone
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
 FT 
York V
18-8
St.HelensW
 Sat 12th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R30
18:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Sun 13th Oct
       Championship 2024-R30
15:00
Swinton
v
Hunslet
Wakefield
v
York
17:00
Toulouse
v
Bradford
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley6-20Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V18-8St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne6-14Penrith
Sat 12th Oct
SL
18:00
Hull KR-Wigan
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 6th Oct
L1
LIVE
Keighley6-20Hunslet
CH
LIVE
Bradford25-12Featherstone
WSL2024
LIVE
York V18-8St.HelensW
NRL
LIVE
Melbourne6-14Penrith
Sat 5th Oct
CH 29 York27-10Widnes
SL 29 Wigan38-0Leigh
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
St.Helens 1 40 4 36 2
Wigan 1 32 4 28 2
Warrington 1 10 16 -6 0
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Bradford 27 703 399 304 36
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
York 28 682 479 203 32
Widnes 27 561 502 59 29
Featherstone 27 634 525 109 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22