Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46945_1695238075.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_46945.jpg

Quote: Old Feller "I always thought that being a fan & a supporter meant that you supported & followed your team through thick & thin.
Silly me.'"

I'll still support the lads, just from the comfort of my own armchair. Doubt I'll be the only one either.

FGB
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1181
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46945_1695238075.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_46945.jpg

Quote: christopher "Even if we win something next year?'"

The Lazenby Cup or the Bev Risman Trophy don't really count. HTH.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10145_1279728778.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10145.png

In terms of SLs entertainment value being low and the finger pointed at the rucks does anyone think we should bite the bullet and adopt the2 ref system from the NRL.

The comoetition has moved light years ahead of ours in the last few years and part of that is policing the ruck.

The only problem is finding enough decent refs but two refs of a lower quality woukd be better than 1 who cant see everything

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Agree with that, Eagle. I'm interested to see what happens with SL over the next couple of years. The NRL went through a similar period a few years ago where the wrestle dominated and it was widely accepted that SL was better to watch. So I'm interested to see if it's a phase that will naturally right itself or whether it was the 2nd ref in the NRL that did that.

Either way I can't see a downside to a 2nd ref. We don't even need to go down the NRL route of having a full 2nd referee where the 2 swap over, we could just have a "roving touch judge" who simply reports what he sees to the ref and gives instructions to players.

I also think injuries have played a big part in the games being poorer. Unfortunately until clubs pull their fingers out and bring some proper revenue in then squads are going to be small and so injuries will play a big role. I don't have any figures to back this up but I think most people would agree there are more injuries and probably more lengthy injuries than there used to be. So I think we need to look at ways getting rid of some of the wrestling and twisting of players in the tackle. Maybe as soon as a third player is involved in a tackle it's called held?
Or conversely you could go the other way and make the held call more controlled by the referee so that defences aren't as encouraged to get the ball carrier to the ground?

I don't often criticise the RFL as I think they often take unwarranted stick that should be directed more at the clubs, but I think they've let the sport down in not compiling figures and data on injuries in the game.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif
:fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif

If the 2nd ref is always the junior partner then it can work well so long as they aren't scared to make a call.

Slowing the PTB is a real problem IMO. What we've seen in the NRL is a general attempt to clean up the PTB. That combined with banning shoulder charges has seen the emergence of forwards who run the ball in at top speed (which in turn helps speed up the ruck because a single defender can't hold them up).

The only NRL team which relies on the wrestle as much as in the past is the Storm, who try to slow every game down to a speed which suits Smith and Cronk. When you watch their games carefully there is unnecessary interference from Storm defenders in nearly every tackle - they are masters at the third defender coming in a nanosecond before they would be called for flopping, and there are people holding arms and legs in every tackle to slow it down.

It all detracts from the spectacle IMO - if other clubs did as the Storm we'd have the same complaints about the NRL. But the focus seems to have moved on towards these power running forwards. Something not seen as much in SL and probably a reason why our sides now really struggle in the WCC.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3615
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Speeding the ruck up doesnt make for more entertaining Rugby League but it does need cleaning up in SL but not to the extent where we see 30 penalties a game in early rounds of SL next yr and not to the speed of the NRL where teams roll downfield with boring risk free 1 man rugby.

As for SL being rubbish and unwatchable not many were complaining when it was rubbish, unwatchable and we was winning. Being a fan is not all about going when you are winning. Every Grand Final win i used to think about the day i stayed to the end of the 69-12 Premiership Final loss at Old Trafford or the day Offiah scored 10 and i clapped Leeds off!!! If i was there for those days i was entitled to be there for the GF and Cup wins weve had and it made them all the sweeter.

One of the seasons highlights, bizzarely, for me was at some of the away games when the glory boy brigade were walking out with 10 and 15 mins to go in a huff cos they didnt know how to deal with not winning every week.

Thick and thin. Anybody literally anybody can be a fan when your winning its easy. Being there when your team is struggling and needs you the most is when true fans show their colours.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

实事求是!:

If we speed the ruck up too much we'll end up back where we started 10 years ago when super league was just a scootathon and people kicked off saying defences were really soft and tries were scored too easily.

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68072.jpg

Quote: FlexWheeler "If we speed the ruck up too much we'll end up back where we started 10 years ago when super league was just a scootathon and people kicked off saying defences were really soft and tries were scored too easily.'"

Yeah true, i like the idea of a second ref and have for a while since seeing how it works in the NRL. We don't want to go back to touch and pass scoot scoot we had before but it has really gone too far the other way and we need to try and find that middle ground. Over to the RFL.

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68072.jpg

Quote: Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! "Speeding the ruck up doesnt make for more entertaining Rugby League but it does need cleaning up in SL but not to the extent where we see 30 penalties a game in early rounds of SL next yr and not to the speed of the NRL where teams roll downfield with boring risk free 1 man rugby.

As for SL being rubbish and unwatchable not many were complaining when it was rubbish, unwatchable and we was winning. Being a fan is not all about going when you are winning. Every Grand Final win i used to think about the day i stayed to the end of the 69-12 Premiership Final loss at Old Trafford or the day Offiah scored 10 and i clapped Leeds off!!! If i was there for those days i was entitled to be there for the GF and Cup wins weve had and it made them all the sweeter.

One of the seasons highlights, bizzarely, for me was at some of the away games when the glory boy brigade were walking out with 10 and 15 mins to go in a huff cos they didnt know how to deal with not winning every week.

Thick and thin. Anybody literally anybody can be a fan when your winning its easy. Being there when your team is struggling and needs you the most is when true fans show their colours.'"

I was there at both of those although i do confess we left long before Offiah completed his historic 10 try feat icon_smile.gif

We may see thirty penalties a game for the first couple but once coaches and players realise the stance taken by the refs they will soon adapt. Short term pain for ultimate long term gain is what is needed right now imo.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

实事求是!:

Quote: Biff Tannen "Yeah true, i like the idea of a second ref and have for a while since seeing how it works in the NRL. We don't want to go back to touch and pass scoot scoot we had before but it has really gone too far the other way and we need to try and find that middle ground. Over to the RFL.'"

The problem is the wrestle was an innovation in tactics, it's not something you can really go back on. It would be like banning a kick to the corner. If you watch some clips of the 2004 season the tackling technique has completely changed. The kick back on the wrestle has been people moving off the mark into markers in front to try and facilitate a quick PTB or win a penalty, or people just diving to try and fake interference, and tangling the tackler up to prevent them moving away to win a penalty. Add that to the wrestle before hand and you are left with a very unattractive scruffy tackle/PTB situation.

All the ref's can really do is allow for less time once the attacker get's put to ground, but you know what that will mean don't you? Penaltyathon.

Either way, we f*cked.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

1 Warrington 2 Hull 3 Wigan 4 Castleford 4 Castleford 5 St Helens 6 Leeds 7 Catalans 8 Hudedersfield 9 Widnes 10 Wakefield 11 Salford 12 Leigh Playoffs:Warrington Hull Wigan Castleford Four sides rejoining: Widnes Wakefield Salford Leigh GF Winners Warrington CC Winners Wigan:

Quote: Biff Tannen "I was there at both of those although i do confess we left long before Offiah completed his historic 10 try feat
I was there also & despite the pleading of my (then) young son I insisted that we stayed to watch history being made.
I feel it made him a better person.
Re the PTB, the refs should apply the rules (laws?) of the game & make the attacking player play the ball with his foot.
They should also penalise any player moving off the mark &/or not regaining his feet.
We may suffer a plethora of penalties but eventually you'd hope that players would get the message.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9061
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23603.jpg

Quote: Old Feller "I was there also & despite the pleading of my (then) young son I insisted that we stayed to watch history being made.
I feel it made him a better person.
Re the PTB, the refs should apply the rules (laws?) of the game & make the attacking player play the ball with his foot.
They should also penalise any player moving off the mark &/or not regaining his feet.
We may suffer a plethora of penalties but eventually you'd hope that players would get the message.'"

You'd hope so but it often seems that they make marginal improvements to their discipline that lasts as long as it takes for refs to wind down their latest crackdown. Would a glut of penalties really improve the spectacle? To be honest, I'd rather a review panel watched a video and fined the worst offending sides. Any player committing an offence that crosses into the realm of a professional foul cops a one game ban.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member22289
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg
:4615.jpg

The NRL made a point of having the ball played correctly with the foot at the start of this season. It only took a couple of penalties for the message to sink in and by and large it lasted the season.

All that is lacking in SL is the will to do it.

It could be they think the spectacle of the game is improved by quick, sloppy play the balls, I just think it looks untidy, gives an unfair advantage to the attacking team and represents another lost skill.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9061
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23603.jpg

In fairness, bringing back a "proper" PTB would seem the easier task when compared to bringing order to the wrestling, flopping, holding down, milking of penalties, attempted dislodging of the ball and moving off the mark that constitutes a typical ruck. None the less, it would be a start.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: FlexWheeler "The problem is the wrestle was an innovation in tactics, it's not something you can really go back on. It would be like banning a kick to the corner. If you watch some clips of the 2004 season the tackling technique has completely changed. The kick back on the wrestle has been people moving off the mark into markers in front to try and facilitate a quick PTB or win a penalty, or people just diving to try and fake interference, and tangling the tackler up to prevent them moving away to win a penalty. Add that to the wrestle before hand and you are left with a very unattractive scruffy tackle/PTB situation.

All the ref's can really do is allow for less time once the attacker get's put to ground, but you know what that will mean don't you? Penaltyathon.

Either way, we f*cked.'"

I know what you mean but I think we can possibly do things that encourages defences to not wrestle as much. For instance the held call. Right now there is no incentive for a defence to hold a player up. There is incentive to hold him up for as long as possible and then get him to the ground. This is at least partly because if they do hold the ball carrier long enough for the ref to shout held then the defences get penalised with a very quick play the ball. If we controlled the held call and made it slower so that defences/markers weren't caught out by it then it may tempt defences to be not as keen on getting the ball carrier down.

I think we're all pretty much agreed on a 2nd ref which would help give instructions to the players and get defenders off quicker.

To help the attack I'd also move the point at which defences are allowed to move up. Right now it's at the point at which the ball carrier's foot touches the ball when he plays it (although in reality it's as he bends down to play it, defences are allowed up too quickly). I'd move it to when the acting half touches the ball. It should give attacks an extra bit of time and space.

168 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
168 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

15.43115234375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
karetaker
3m
TV Games - Not Hull
hull2524
14m