Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

We were really struggling without a proper hooker even in those three final games we won. The middle was really struggling but we came up with some great plays at crucial times. Wigan also paid for not having any big metre making props to bust us down the middle in that 2nd half. A Chris Hill or Alex Walmsley (whose ankle was nowhere near fit for the playoff semi) could've finished us off.

And when titles and a treble are on the line you can find that bit extra to cling on in defence to send some legendary teammates off in the best way....can you do that week in week out when it's Round 6 away to Cas or Round 13 away to Warrington with final league placings still well away.

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68072.jpg

Quote: ThePrinter "We were really struggling without a proper hooker even in those three final games we won. The middle was really struggling but we came up with some great plays at crucial times. Wigan also paid for not having any big metre making props to bust us down the middle in that 2nd half. A Chris Hill or Alex Walmsley (whose ankle was nowhere near fit for the playoff semi) could've finished us off.

And when titles and a treble are on the line you can find that bit extra to cling on in defence to send some legendary teammates off in the best way....can you do that week in week out when it's Round 6 away to Cas or Round 13 away to Warrington with final league placings still well away.'"

Absolutely. The team deserve huge Credit for the way they dug in and showed champion mentality to turn it around when all seemed lost.

My main point is the warning signs were there regards the hooking role in particular despite the success we had.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Biff Tannen "After winning the cup we lost the next 3 games, including a walloping against Catalans. Perhaps shot is the wrong way of putting it, but we weren't the same team. Basically, the team led by JP and Sinfield did what it had to do to get the job done at the end, credit to them. It was obvious though we needed a proper hooker and Falloon was a dud, the lack of quality in that area (not the only area granted) has stood out like a sore thumb for most of the year till Segeyaro arrived.

Again, i'm not bagging Burrow, he is brilliant at what he does but he holds the side back now as a unit if we are forced to play him as a regular nine. Just my opinion.'"

And we were without many players for that period. Including Burrow. That's why we werent the same team.

We were very good rotating Burrow and Aiton, then Aiton got injured and we carried on being good, then Burrow got injured and we were crap, then Burrow came back and we beat the top 3 teams in succession.

Somehow this has been rewritten as a journeyman like Aiton being some kind of world beater and a 'proper hooker' being the missing piece of the puzzle when its clearly never been the case.

We have shown for nigh on 15 years we can win with Burrow, when we have gone with a 'proper hooker' the only time it has been successful is when we have gotten a very very good one. Thats why Millard didnt really work, its why we didnt really miss Aiton, its why Falloon was a dud. Its why Diskin did work, its why Buderus did work, and why Segeyaro has worked. The link here isnt 'a proper hooker' its that they are very very good players.

That is the problem, not Burrow holding the team back, but the fact we lost an outstanding player in Sinfield and didnt replace him, and then saw McGuire barely play. We go with Thurston and Cronk in the halves and nobody is worrying that we dont have 'a proper hooker'.

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg

OK then, we need a very very good hooker Smokey... glad we all agree, lets leave it at that icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: ThePrinter "We were really struggling without a proper hooker even in those three final games we won. The middle was really struggling but we came up with some great plays at crucial times. Wigan also paid for not having any big metre making props to bust us down the middle in that 2nd half. A Chris Hill or Alex Walmsley (whose ankle was nowhere near fit for the playoff semi) could've finished us off.

And when titles and a treble are on the line you can find that bit extra to cling on in defence to send some legendary teammates off in the best way....can you do that week in week out when it's Round 6 away to Cas or Round 13 away to Warrington with final league placings still well away.'"

Yeah, apart from winning a challenge cup by a record score, beating the team who finished 2nd twice, the teams who finished 3rd, 4th and 2nd in successive weeks and beating Hull we really struggled.

Apart from the treble who knows how good we could have been if only we had Papua New Guinea's 3rd best hooker.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Biff Tannen "OK then, we need a very very good hooker Smokey... glad we all agree, lets leave it at that We have a very very good one now. And a more than capable back up/top quality impact.

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "We have a very very good one now. And a more than capable back up/top quality impact.'"

If he doesn't get poached sometime in the coming weeks, yes i agree.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: SmokeyTA "Yeah, apart from winning a challenge cup by a record score, beating the team who finished 2nd twice, the teams who finished 3rd, 4th and 2nd in successive weeks and beating Hull we really struggled.

Apart from the treble who knows how good we could have been if only we had Papua New Guinea's 3rd best hooker.'"

We did struggle in those last three games, just because you win a game doesn't mean you didn't struggle or play well.

Oh and Burrow didn't even get on until 50 mins in the cup final when we were already about 5 scores clear and didn't get on until the second half vs Wigan in the Super 8's and as mentioned he wasn't at hooker for the Hull game either so you can hardly point to them.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: ThePrinter "We did struggle in those last three games, just because you win a game doesn't mean you didn't struggle or play well.

Oh and Burrow didn't even get on until 50 mins in the cup final when we were already about 5 scores clear and didn't get on until the second half vs Wigan in the Super 8's and as mentioned he wasn't at hooker for the Hull game either so you can hardly point to them.'"

We beat the best other three teams in the league. In succession. As well as beating the 2nd best team again. At the business end of the season. Yet we were struggling, not playing well. Crying out for PNG's 3rd best hooker to replace a player with 7 grand finals, 2 challenge cups, 3 WCC, 3 LLS, and 2 Harry Sunderland awards.

I mean its not like 5 weeks earlier Aiton had started a game against Wigan, you know when we were super duper unbeatable, before we were struggling, before we werent playing well, before we had to suffer Burrow at hooker.

Do you remember what the score was in that game? Surely we must have beaten them by 30-40 points considering how well we were playing and we had Aiton to be a proper hooker for us? and considering we could beat Wigan twice when we were struggling and not playing well, surely we walked that game?

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: rhino phil "Hetherington says he knows Segayaros decision but isnt going to announce it which seems a bit weird. If hes made his mind up to stay get the contract amended and tie him down FFS'"

I imagine the reason it's not announced yet is because we haven't secured safety yet, he obviously won't stay if we were in the Championship.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: SmokeyTA "We beat the best other three teams in the league. In succession. As well as beating the 2nd best team again. At the business end of the season. Yet we were struggling, not playing well. Crying out for PNG's 3rd best hooker to replace a player with 7 grand finals, 2 challenge cups, 3 WCC, 3 LLS, and 2 Harry Sunderland awards.

I mean its not like 5 weeks earlier Aiton had started a game against Wigan, you know when we were super duper unbeatable, before we were struggling, before we werent playing well, before we had to suffer Burrow at hooker.

Do you remember what the score was in that game? Surely we must have beaten them by 30-40 points considering how well we were playing and we had Aiton to be a proper hooker for us? and considering we could beat Wigan twice when we were struggling and not playing well, surely we walked that game?'"

If you want to base it solely on the final result then so be it. Can clearly see through that you issue isn't about Burrow at all it's just harping back to your moan last year about not liking Aiton.

If Burrow had been our starting hooker last year and no Aiton then we wouldn't have been 6 points clear heading into Wembley IMO and then the end of the season looks very different. If you want results, Aiton was the starting hooker when we won 10 of our opening 11 to get away from the pack, he remained starting hooker to help get us to 1st spot after 23 Rounds, he was starting hooker in e previous cup matches before Wembley. He might not have been available for the end of the season but he was definitely hugely responsible for getting us there over the course of the year.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: ThePrinter "If you want to base it solely on the final result then so be it. Can clearly see through that you issue isn't about Burrow at all it's just harping back to your moan last year about not liking Aiton.

If Burrow had been our starting hooker last year and no Aiton then we wouldn't have been 6 points clear heading into Wembley IMO and then the end of the season looks very different. If you want results, Aiton was the starting hooker when we won 10 of our opening 11 to get away from the pack, he remained starting hooker to help get us to 1st spot after 23 Rounds, he was starting hooker in e previous cup matches before Wembley. He might not have been available for the end of the season but he was definitely hugely responsible for getting us there over the course of the year.'"

You are right, Aiton was the hooker when we lost to Warrington, when we lost to Warrington again, when we lost to Widnes, when we drew with Huddersfield, When we lost to Wigan, When we lost to Wigan again, When we lost to Cas.

Burrow, playing for the team that was struggling, not playing well, beat Wigan, beat Wigan again, beat Huddersfield, and beat St Helens.

You know what, 7 grand finals, 2 challenge cups, 3 LLS, 3 WCC, and 2 Harry Sunderland trophies and yeah, im pretty comfortable basing it on final results. You and Paul Aiton with your 1 challenge cup (as a back up to guess who?) can judge it on something else if you want.

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg

Lets get one thing right, Aiton is a decent hooker but not top bracket and i don't think many would argue he was anymore than that. The point is that he is a hooker who can defend well in the middle and does the fundamentals of hooking naturally which is what we lack when relying on Burrow for long periods. Is it also any coincidence players like Watkins who are not having to put in as big a defensive shifts as when hiding Burrow seem to look far more potent and energetic with ball in hand?

Even if we manage to secure Segeyaro im with others who would still like to see a deputy who is capable of stepping straight into his shoes if he gets an injury and keep Burrow solely for the impact role which still does so well and can continue being a match winner in.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7069
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2023Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Odemwingie":34o3cs52] I hope his career is over.(regarding danny mcguires injury 2010 play offs)[/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="Ewwenorfolk":34o3cs52] I'm glad McGuire got injured, hope he's out for about 10 months[/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="Bulls4Champs2010":34o3cs52]Price, Civ, Beaver, Moz and Wiki. Peacock is not in the catagory of these special players.[/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="McLaren_Field":34o3cs52] To be fair, their teams are also inconsequential to their own fans judging by the amount of traffic that all the other boards get [/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="Warrington Wolf":34o3cs52]If you win the weekly rounds then without doubt you are the champions.[/quote:34o3cs52]:

Quote: ThePrinter "I imagine the reason it's not announced yet is because we haven't secured safety yet, he obviously won't stay if we were in the Championship.'"

100% right mate! Also add in some kind of marketing campaign; T-shirts, shirts, season tickets, lunch box, pots n pans?

Gary seldom misses a chance to sell our club and so he should.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: SmokeyTA "You are right, Aiton was the hooker when we lost to Warrington, when we lost to Warrington again, when we lost to Widnes, when we drew with Huddersfield, When we lost to Wigan, When we lost to Wigan again, When we lost to Cas.

Burrow, playing for the team that was struggling, not playing well, beat Wigan, beat Wigan again, beat Huddersfield, and beat St Helens.

You know what, 7 grand finals, 2 challenge cups, 3 LLS, 3 WCC, and 2 Harry Sunderland trophies and yeah, im pretty comfortable basing it on final results. You and Paul Aiton with your 1 challenge cup (as a back up to guess who?) can judge it on something else if you want.'"

Burrow started the Widnes away game actually and again he didn't even get off the bench until the 2nd half in the Wigan Super 8's game when we were already 20-4 so I don't know why you're clinging onto that one.

The thing is no one is staying Burrow starting there can't work on occasion/s. But doing it for 3 weeks is much different to doing it for 30 weeks. And it's not about who is the better player individually, it's about who add the better balance to the team. Doesn't leave centres having to defend like 2nd rowers, doesn't have your middle guys having to make up the 30/40 tackles your hooker would make, has better passing and organising from dummy half so that your props can get you further downfield and give your HB's crisper ball.

I find it very similar to the Wayne Rooney debate for England. For me he is the big problem for that team. Some will defend him saying he was one of our better players on Sunday because he picked up the ball a lot and did a lot of passing.....however it completely messed up the balance of the side. His insistence to drop so deep made Kane struggle as he was left isolated, the defence wasn't having to worry about the man-in-the-hole number 10 position so impacts on the wingers and he's sat on top of your other central midfielders taking their job off them. His performance might have looked good to some if judging solely on what he did, but for the negative issues he caused his teammates then it was the main problem.

RL like football is a TEAM sport, picking a team should be about balance, everyone has their role to fulfill in defence and attack, it shouldn't be the case where some are hampered by doing the workload of others.

1274 posts in 86 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
1274 posts in 86 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.94384765625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Leigh it is
Suzy Banyon
19m
Season tickets
Hudd-Shay
28m
2025 membership/renewals
BP1
52m
Call for funds
the fax in a
Recent
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
Recent
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
Recent
Film game
Boss Hog
Recent
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Seth
Recent
Best Semi
ratticusfinc
Recent
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
mwindass
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Call for funds
the fax in a
50s
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
51s
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
53s
Leigh it is
Suzy Banyon
57s
Squad for HKR
Lord Tony Sm
1m
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
moxi1
2m
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
2m
Shopping list for 2025
UllFC
5m
Former players
Jemmo
5m
Man of Steel
matt_wire
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Season tickets
Hudd-Shay
TODAY
Best Semi
ratticusfinc
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Deeeekos
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
Lord Tony Sm
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
leeds owl
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Douglas Blac
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
BP1
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
moxi1
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
TODAY
Leigh it is
Suzy Banyon
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 3,252 ↑34680,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22