JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Brodie123 "Candidly what do we expect. The three teams who voted for them , Leeds ,Saints, Catalans always see the positive side of the game and they was one Abstention In Warrington. Looking at the remaining teams, no doubt led by Wigan teams who always put themselves first, along with their bank balance. I never agreed with Canada, 3,000 miles for a game of rugby is a long way, but something has to be done to expand the game, without expansion we are totally reliable on Sky TV for their sponsorship money. Teams like Wakefield, Cas, Salford will never vote for change, they are 100% reliant on Sky Money. A serious rethink is needed, change the system, and see what happens.
We need one more team at least , 12 team competition, 22 games per season. No relegation for 5 years. Within this time, clubs have to develop their grounds , their academy, if they don’t meet the requirement they lose their super league status. No ifs or buts etc. Simply they are relegated down a division. Extend the game in the UK France and Ireland. There is more than enough scope to develop the game in France Ireland and UK, it just needs someone who can market the game, advertise the game. Big shake up is needed, no ifs or buts, set the rules and apply them.'"

Don't make us out to be Saint's. Believe me, Hetherington and Co will have seen something on it for us to have voted in Torronto's favour.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator10681No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Be interesting to see what happens with Ward, Flower and Hall after the news today too.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

实事求是!:

Can't just erect a team in a far out location, fill it with super league and NRL players and expect it to magically 'grow the game.' Get some grassroots going over there, and maybe a professional club will naturally arrive after 20 years.

Maybe they should look inward, rather than always looking outward or trying the next quick fix

RankPostsTeam
International Star4239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

实事求是!:

Quote: Brodie123 "Candidly what do we expect. The three teams who voted for them , Leeds ,Saints, Catalans always see the positive side of the game and they was one Abstention In Warrington. Looking at the remaining teams, no doubt led by Wigan teams who always put themselves first, along with their bank balance. I never agreed with Canada, 3,000 miles for a game of rugby is a long way, but something has to be done to expand the game, without expansion we are totally reliable on Sky TV for their sponsorship money. Teams like Wakefield, Cas, Salford will never vote for change, they are 100% reliant on Sky Money. A serious rethink is needed, change the system, and see what happens.
We need one more team at least , 12 team competition, 22 games per season. No relegation for 5 years. Within this time, clubs have to develop their grounds , their academy, if they don’t meet the requirement they lose their super league status. No ifs or buts etc. Simply they are relegated down a division. Extend the game in the UK France and Ireland. There is more than enough scope to develop the game in France Ireland and UK, it just needs someone who can market the game, advertise the game. Big shake up is needed, no ifs or buts, set the rules and apply them.'"

It's always the same. Change needed, new plan, better marketing, gotta grow the game, yadda yadda yadda.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain5676
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
75810_1643888256.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_75810.png

Agree

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain5676
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
75810_1643888256.png

Quote: FlexWheeler "Can't just erect a team in a far out location, fill it with super league and NRL players and expect it to magically 'grow the game.' Get some grassroots going over there, and maybe a professional club will naturally arrive after 20 years.

Maybe they should look inward, rather than always looking outward or trying the next quick fix'"

We’ve been looking inward for far far too long. Likes of Wakefield Cas Huddersfield have had long enough to move forward and it’s not happening. Salford have made great strides on the pitch but are very poorly supported which is a real shame. Wigan are extremely self centred which never change

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10145_1279728778.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10145.png

There just isn't the interest outside of the m62, the player pool is too shallow.

It's been over 10 years since licensing was introduced and nothing has changed. Cas and Wakey play in awful stadiums, no one turns up to watch giants or Salford even when they have a decent team.

If we continue to replace one mining town with another one each season nothing will change. We'll always be a minority game looked down upon.

How does an expansion stick? No idea really. 5 year exemption? Salary cap larger? Draft system?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member5442
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1230.gif
“You are playing a game of football this afternoon but more than that you are playing for England, and more even than that, you are playing for right versus wrong. You will win because you have to win. Don’t forget that message from home. England expects every one of you to do his duty.”:1230.gif

It is a problem that Super league clubs can vote out other Super league clubs, self interest voting is not good for the game as a whole, even if on this occasion it may have been for the best. I am concerned that if Toronto were getting no TV money then each club would have to give up a part of their share to allow a 12th team in Super League, whoever that may be.

The clubs have too much power, and with no internationals this year the RFL won't have the sources money it needs to spend on developing young players. Why not make an academy team (at least 1 per team) a minimum requirement of Super League, and use part of the TV money to fund a regional academy in the parts Super League doesn't currently reach. Expansion needs to start at the bottom, junior leagues, regional amateur leagues, schools. It looks like "Super League" is planning to try and keep all the money from the next TV deal, another nail in the coffin for the slow death of pre RL in this country.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

实事求是!:

Quote: Trebor1 "We’ve been looking inward for far far too long. Likes of Wakefield Cas Huddersfield have had long enough to move forward and it’s not happening. Salford have made great strides on the pitch but are very poorly supported which is a real shame. Wigan are extremely self centred which never change'"

No it's always outward. 'Screw featherstone and leigh, let's get a team in tokyo.'

If heartland clubs arent thriving, how is the game going to support a startup team erected in a foreign land.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain5676
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20177 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
75810_1643888256.png

Disagree totally. How long have the heartland clubs had to flourish?? Decades... and look where we are... no further forwards. We need strong foundations from the heartlands of course we do, but it’s needs to be alongside growing the game outside that to bring wider interest into the game which in turn wil generate increased revenue for clubs therefore benefit everyone and we’ll have a much greater game. The game really needs to get their heads together to find a way to get bigger and better

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player18No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Oct 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

As others have said feel sorry for their fans and their players , will they get paid now as a condition of the new owner was on re-admission to Super League.

Where does this leave Ottawa now and then New York , ideally get enough clubs over there to start up a viable NA league but they aren't at those levels yet . Personally I would have preferred Toronto stayed as I think we've missed a trick here to grow the game , it just seems there wasn't a proper plan and certainly no NA TV deal . The NRL were looking at NA and Union will probably just step in now, so I fear in a few years one of those will show us how it should have been done as our game dies a slow death.

Maybe Toronto will end up in the Championship or League 1 as the RFL voted for them , it would be similar to a football club folding and being demoted .

But yes it seems strange clubs deciding the fate of another as most will always put their self interests first.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4595
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_77264.jpg

I'd say ALL will put their self-interest first, that's the point of voting rights really. You think Leeds would vote to keep Toronto if they felt their inclusion would threaten their existence a few years down the line? Not likely.

Leeds are in the enviable position of probably being life-long SL club members because of the size and catchment of the club. I think the place has been generally very well run by GH over the years don't get me wrong.

The problem with traditionalism in RL is that the world moves on. Towns like Cas, Fev etc. are no longer mining towns with a strong sense of local community. I mean, there is still a bit of that but RL isn't in the blood of these towns like it was post-war. It's hard to see how that trend will change going forward.

I'd be in favour of re-introducing a licensing system. I understand the argument for promotion and relegation but I think we could manage the teams in the top flight better.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1155No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
60930_1348487834.jpg
[b:hckzm0kh]Never Underestimate A Rhino[/b:hckzm0kh] Challenge Cup Winners 1909–10, 1922–23, 1931–32, 1935–36, 1940–41, 1941–42, 1956–57, 1967–68, 1976–77, 1977–78, 1999, 2014, 2015, 2020 Superleague Champions 2004, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2015, 2017 Championship Winners 1960–61, 1968–69, 1971–72 World Club Champions 2005, 2008, 2012 Premiership Winners 1974–75, 1978–79 SL League Leaders 2004, 2009, 2015:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_60930.jpg

Johnny Davidson on Twitter:

“ Hearing there could be a push soon from Leeds to get Robert Elstone out of his job. Gary Hetherington has been against the split and Elstone from the start in 2018, and an element of the Toronto support has been to unsettle the Super League boss.”

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player2668No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
78089_1686152387.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_78089.png

The split has been a disaster for the game so far, brought in to get Wood out of the RFL, which happened anyway. It's taking £100,000s per year out of the game in order to pay Elstone's salary.
The sooner they merge back together, the better

RankPostsTeam
International Star970
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
71562_1402440709.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_71562.jpg

I have said this a few times in the past few years on here but as someone who got in to rugby league despite being based 'outside of the M62 corridor' the two main issues with it's strategy and planning for future development are as follows;

1) Too many teams in tiny towns / suburbs, all within a few miles of each other (the 'M62 corridor' factor).
2) Hardly any teams based in / representing actual decent-sized towns or cities making the team (and sport future development) viable.

I live in Ponte at present, but if I cycle or drive along Wakefield Road for a bit I pass one Championship ground (Fev) and one super league ground (Wakey) in 7.5 miles. If I go the other way 3.5 miles past the race course, I get to Cas' ground. Cas has a population of 40,000, Fev of 14,000 and Wakey about 100k. So within an 11 mile stretch there are 3 teams any of those 154,000 people could support. A decent chunk of them from RL stock (or with strong roots to their location) will likely support a specific one and would never consider any of the others.

But not all 154,000 in those towns will like rugby league. Even if as many as 10% class themselves as genuine fans and would consider / do go to games, that leaves Cas, Fev and Wakey all seeking to make their teams profitable from a captive population of 15,400 people at most. And that then presumes all of those 10% will get their backsides into the grounds / buying the gear on sale.

I was brought up in Durham in the north east - a place without a professional football team and situated pretty much in the middle between Newcastle and Sunderland. As a football fan, my choices (wanting to support my local team) were either of those. Durham has a population of about 65,000, Newcastle about 450,000 and Sunderland 275,000. About half of people in Durham who support a local team are Newcastle fans, about half are Sunderland fans (in my experience).

But the key things with this comparison - football is a more popular sport, and all 3 cities north eastern cities are bigger than those in the West Yorkshire comparison. Assuming 10% of the population are keen football fans (I can guarantee it will be more though) that means Newcastle has a 45,000 'captive audience' in the city, Sunderland has 27,000 and Durham offers 6,500 'floaters' who might be enticed into becoming one of the 45k Geordies, or 27k Mackems.

The fundamental issue with RL is it is not in big cities and it is not in big cities because it is stuck in tin pot towns with small populations, a few miles from the next town with its own club. I ended up supporting Leeds Rhinos as I went to uni in Leeds (it being a big city and with a uni) and it was the closest and most accessible place for me to see rugby league. Likewise, I have friends from elsewhere in the country who developed a soft spot for Leeds United / Rhinos as they became settled in the city, after moving from the north / midlands or the south.

If the teams in SL were from / based in places like Leeds, Bradford, York, Manchester, Liverpool, Newcastle, Doncaster, Sheffield, Hull, you instantly increase your potential (in the mid and long term) for growth as they are all bigger places and bigger than the likes of Cas, Wakey, Widnes, Dewsbury, Batley, Fev that are all in the higher echelons of the RL pyramid.

The UK and the world are both global now - how many people on here live somewhere different to where they were born or raised? Or have you all remained within a few streets of your origins your whole life? Younger generations do not seek to stay in places like Fev, Cas, Batley, (Durham) these days as there are more opportunities in bigger places and there is more to do in those places too. If RL sides had a presence in bigger towns (even if these towns were still within the M62 corridor) it would naturally gave the game a bigger exposure pool to develop from. Instead, RL teams and the league as a whole is relying and banking its future on those who either come from generations of fans from before and return for games, or remain captive to exposure and disregard all other teams that might be looking for the same.

RL should seriously consider teaming up with football teams in new places like Liverpool, Manchester, Newcastle, Birmingham, Nottingham, Sheffield and taking a hit for a couple of years on revenue - offer season ticket holders free tickets for RL games for teams based in these cities and / or make agreements with the PL and Championship football teams that they will put 3-4 games on a season in their grounds - the football fans know how to get there with their £500 season ticket every other week so make it as easy as you can to get them to go to RL games.

Leeds Rhinos made it easiest for me to see them (purely due to being in Leeds) and they have gotten a great deal from me - several years of season tickets, a cupboard full of tops and friends buying tickets and merch from Scotland to London as a result of my passion for them. Get the game to the masses!

49 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
49 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.24560546875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 16 London Home
YosemiteSam
2m
TV games not Wire
karetaker
2m