JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74893_1459005583.jpg
snaivooladniv eht fo thgim eht eraweb:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74893.jpg

Quote: rollin thunder "The easiest and best way to deal with the play the ball is to firstly, make the players stand on both feet and play the ball with the foot (or at least attempt to) secondly if the attackers are moving forward on the knees or move sideways of the mark make them move back to the mark, if they are persistently doing it and trying to milk penalties, penalise them. It won't be long before teams get the message, we then have a slightly slower but cleaner play the ball, there will then be no or less reason to niggle wrestle or hands in. We then just get a good defensive line and teams having to play some good old fashion football to break defence down. If that means bringing in a second ref like NRL then so be it, but the game will be miles better and fairer to watch. To me it's that simple.'"

How about we don't allow players to change their grip on an attacker once the player is grounded or held is called , if anybody then touches them afterwards ( you know like Danny Buderus did every tackle he was ever involved in ) a penalty is given , and while we're at it , make forward passes illegal , that'd help don't you think ?

RankPostsTeam
International Star4840No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: GUBRATS "How about we don't allow players to change their grip on an attacker once the player is grounded or held is called , if anybody then touches them afterwards ( you know like Danny Buderus did every tackle he was ever involved in ) a penalty is given , and while we're at it , make forward passes illegal , that'd help don't you think ?'"

Ha your so clever with your sarcasm aren't you, this is the problem with social media and forums like this, you suggest something for open fair discussion and someone trolls it, why not reply with a sensible comment or input.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain2418No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74893_1459005583.jpg
snaivooladniv eht fo thgim eht eraweb:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74893.jpg

Quote: rollin thunder "Ha your so clever with your sarcasm aren't you, this is the problem with social media and forums like this, you suggest something for open fair discussion and someone trolls it, why not reply with a sensible comment or input.'"

An entirely sensible input , just that you don't like it

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Perhaps the ball needs to be passed backwards - that might help cut out the marginal forward pass

Until we start to produced really skilled players in key attacking positions then this turgid style will continue - it doesn't matter how fast/slow the ruck if you haven't got the skills to create and capitalise attacking opportunities then you will continue to bore everyone to death

I suggest if anyone has time watch the Penrith game from today - in that you see a team that plays what is in front of them and has the skill set to deliver when the opportunity arrives. Some truly superb attacking moves which displays great skill, great execution and great athletic ability. Hardaker is in for nasty shock when he gets to Humberside.

RankPostsTeam
International Star990No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Sal Paradise "Perhaps the ball needs to be passed backwards - that might help cut out the marginal forward pass

Until we start to produced really skilled players in key attacking positions then this turgid style will continue - it doesn't matter how fast/slow the ruck if you haven't got the skills to create and capitalise attacking opportunities then you will continue to bore everyone to death

I suggest if anyone has time watch the Penrith game from today - in that you see a team that plays what is in front of them and has the skill set to deliver when the opportunity arrives. Some truly superb attacking moves which displays great skill, great execution and great athletic ability. Hardaker is in for nasty shock when he gets to Humberside.'"

While I agree with the general sentiment, the lack of creativity is something the Aussies also seem to be struggling with because as good as Penrith lead by Moylan and the excellent Cleary where, the doggies were turgid and have been for the last month. Forwards making metres all day (Klemmer had over 200 I think) but little strike and end product produced by their pivots, granted Morris was on one leg for most of it.

I think as a game we are seeing less skill or flamboyance or whatever you want to call it, and it's not all due to better defences.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Barrie's Glass Eye "While I agree with the general sentiment, the lack of creativity is something the Aussies also seem to be struggling with because as good as Penrith lead by Moylan and the excellent Cleary where, the doggies were turgid and have been for the last month. Forwards making metres all day (Klemmer had over 200 I think) but little strike and end product produced by their pivots, granted Morris was on one leg for most of it.

I think as a game we are seeing less skill or flamboyance or whatever you want to call it, and it's not all due to better defences.'"

The Doggies are stuck in a time warp - they haven't changed the style of play in years - huge over-reliance on the 'mean machine' and they have a pair of halves that are simply not fit for purpose - put Thurston or Milford on the end of that forward pack and you would see a huge difference. Hassler like McDermott has reached the end of the line - he is a dinosaur and his teams play like they are stuck in the stone age.

The game in Australia is in transition - some of the attacking play this year has been extraordinary. The emergence of teams like the Raiders, Sharks Broncos and Panthers who play a more expansive style is the future and it no surprise the likes of South Sydney are nowhere to be seen. The lead boots they wear to help the wrestle only stops them falling over when they are grasping thin air when the more agile sides just run past them.

Melbourne are the only rigid format team still left in the comp. they have the best coach and the best technical players who play to a system that accommodates everybody - they

On the Panthers they played without half backs today - one pass apart Cleary did nothing in open play and Cartwright plays as a back row forward. Moylem and Mansour ran the show both were superb

RankPostsTeam
International Star990No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I would agree there has been a real split, that is as much down to coaching as it is personnel. Canberra have been my favourite team to watch this year, that edge with Whitehead, Leilua and Rona, as well as Austin reminds me of Mags, Ali, Senior, Bar back in the day. I also think teams on the upswing have halves that create rather than stick to structure. The young guns at Wests and even the Titans. Even the Storm who like you say are still highly structured have one or two mad flair players in Munster and Vunivalu.

Hopefully like you say we are seeing a bit of a change and is our way SL will follow sometime soon and leave this horrible wrestling style long behind.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: Barrie's Glass Eye "I would agree there has been a real split, that is as much down to coaching as it is personnel. Canberra have been my favourite team to watch this year, that edge with Whitehead, Leilua and Rona, as well as Austin reminds me of Mags, Ali, Senior, Bar back in the day. I also think teams on the upswing have halves that create rather than stick to structure. The young guns at Wests and even the Titans. Even the Storm who like you say are still highly structured have one or two mad flair players in Munster and Vunivalu.

Hopefully like you say we are seeing a bit of a change and is our way SL will follow sometime soon and leave this horrible wrestling style long behind.'"

I honestly think that is part of it. We generally seem to be about 4 or 5 years behind the NRL in SL and if you think back to the teams that came over for the WCC 5 or 6 years ago there wasn't much free flowing rugby from them, it was very much wrestle/controlling the play the ball oriented.

So whilst there are other issues in SL I think we'll see a reaction and a change in style. I'd hoped that may have started last season with the way Leeds played the game but unfortunately not.

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

Everyone is trying to get a quick PTB, but instead of earning it with good attacking play, a big forward hitting a great line and dominating contact, or from a clever offload, we have guys grubbing around on their knees shuffling off the mark to take the markers out of play.
One radical approach would be to make attacking more difficult. Slow down the PTB by mainly players stand up to play it (allow them to drop the ball into the foot as it actually says in the rules and we used to do), and return to the 5 metres for the defensive line. Then penalise brutally any defenders who mess about after a break or half break by the attacking side.
5 drives and a kick won't work under those circumstances and sides will actuall have to play rugby.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain338
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20169 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74701_1487935178.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74701.jpg

Quote: DHM "Everyone is trying to get a quick PTB, but instead of earning it with good attacking play, a big forward hitting a great line and dominating contact, or from a clever offload, we have guys grubbing around on their knees shuffling off the mark to take the markers out of play.
One radical approach would be to make attacking more difficult. Slow down the PTB by mainly players stand up to play it (allow them to drop the ball into the foot as it actually says in the rules and we used to do), and return to the 5 metres for the defensive line. Then penalise brutally any defenders who mess about after a break or half break by the attacking side.
5 drives and a kick won't work under those circumstances and sides will actuall have to play rugby.'"

I like the idea of forcing the players to actually play the ball but the 5 metre defensive line will never work in the modern game. The defenders will be on top of the first receiver before they even get the ball so the only way to reliably gain metres would be five drives and a kick.

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

Quote: WF Rhino "I like the idea of forcing the players to actually play the ball but the 5 metre defensive line will never work in the modern game. The defenders will be on top of the first receiver before they even get the ball so the only way to reliably gain metres would be five drives and a kick.'"

I hate to point this out but in Union the defence doesn't have to retire at all. Back feet of the ruck. Just play with more depth, offload more and be creative.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain338
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20169 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74701_1487935178.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74701.jpg

Quote: DHM "I hate to point this out but in Union the defence doesn't have to retire at all. Back feet of the ruck. Just play with more depth, offload more and be creative.'"

I don't watch Union so I'm not really in a position to comment. It would be interesting to see how it worked in a couple of pre-season games (didn't we try some experimental rules in the Boxing Day game against Wakefield a few years ago?) but the only result I could see would be for the all forward positions to be filled with quick second rowers with the defensive strategy to send a couple to blitz the first receiver and have the others jam into the attacking line to cut off any options.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: DHM "I hate to point this out but in Union the defence doesn't have to retire at all. Back feet of the ruck. Just play with more depth, offload more and be creative.'"

But there are unlimited phases in union. How many phases do you see where the ball goes backwards or just stops on the gain line? Thats why a union team rarely attack from deep in their own territory, they just kick the ball away.

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA " Thats why a union team rarely attack from deep in their own territory, they just kick the ball away.'"

Not correct. Teams attack often when they have numbers from deep, even on their line. The main reason why teams kick from near their line is because the tackle is a contest, and you can lose the contest or give away a kick able penalty. It's almost as likely to give away a penalty trying to keep possession as it is when trying to win it, so you want to play the game away from your posts.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: DHM "Not correct. Teams attack often when they have numbers from deep, even on their line. The main reason why teams kick from near their line is because the tackle is a contest, and you can lose the contest or give away a kick able penalty. It's almost as likely to give away a penalty trying to keep possession as it is when trying to win it, so you want to play the game away from your posts.'"
I disagree. I dont think they do attack from deep 'often' certainly not in a league sense of the word and it would certainly be rare for a union side to go length of the field in less than 6 phases.

38 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
38 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.87744140625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Recruitment rumours and links
Matt King's
8m
FC v hull kr
Marcus's Bic
9m
Squads - Leopards v Giants
LeythIg
11m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
11m
Betting 2024
karetaker
12m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
35m
Shopping list for 2025
Marcus's Bic
42m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
Recent
Bradford Away 140724
upthetrin92
Recent
Wakefield H
Maccbull_Big
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Saints h
Cherry_&
43s
Rumours thread
Khlav Kalash
56s
Mingechellas balls
Jake the Peg
1m
Sackings
John_D
1m
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
That Mon
1m
Un-optimised forum
Wires71
1m
Fax v Fev
cowfax
2m
TV games not Wire
The Speculat
3m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
3m
Wakefield March On With Win Over Bradford
RLFANS News
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Recovery Room
PopTart
TODAY
Featherstone v Dons Saturday 20/7/24 6pm
Kick and cha
TODAY
Un-optimised forum
Wires71
TODAY
is there an alternative to twitter
wakeytrin
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Week 18
finglas
TODAY
Wakefield March On With Win Over Bradford
RLFANS News
TODAY
Cam Scott leaves the building
Dave K.
TODAY
Mingechellas balls
Jake the Peg
TODAY
Catalans Dragons Swap Places With Salford Red Devils
RLFANS News
TODAY
Wakefield AFC
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
New Singings
Trojan Horse
TODAY
KR win the Hull Derby to Into Third Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Fixture List
Wires71
TODAY
Wigan Warriors Extend League Lead with Derby Win
RLFANS News
TODAY
Toulouse game
upthetrin92
TODAY
Ashton extends contract
chris2925
TODAY
Damel Diakhate
Eastern Wild
TODAY
Sackings
John_D
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wakefield March On With Win Ov..
Catalans Dragons Swap Places W..
KR win the Hull Derby to Into ..
Wigan Warriors Extend League L..
Warrington Wolves Into Second ..
Salford Hold On To Beat Unluck..
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win O..
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thri..
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M +13,156 ↑9680,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Wed 17th Jul
     State of Origin 2023-R3
11:05
Queensland
v
New South Wales
 Fri 19th Jul
     National Rugby League 2024-R20
11:00
Canberra
v
NZ Warriors
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R18
20:00
Huddersfield
v
Salford
St.Helens
v
Warrington
Leigh
v
LondonB
 Sat 20th Jul
06:00
Souths
v
Wests
08:30
Newcastle
v
Brisbane
10:35
Melbourne
v
Sydney
     Womens Super League 2024-R9
12:00
York V
v
WiganW
14:00
St.HelensW
v
Wire W
Hull FC
v
Wigan
       Championship 2024-R18
15:00
Bradford
v
York
Halifax
v
Widnes
Swinton
v
Whitehaven
Leeds
v
Hull KR
       Championship 2024-R16
17:00
Toulouse
v
Wakefield
18:00
Featherstone
v
Doncaster
 Sun 21st Jul
05:00
Penrith
v
Dolphins
07:05
Manly
v
Gold Coast
09:15
NQL Cowboys
v
Canterbury
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Fri 19th Jul
SL
Huddersfield-Salford
SL
St.Helens-Warrington
SL
Leigh-LondonB
Sat 20th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Wigan
SL
Leeds-Hull KR
Sun 21st Jul
SL
Castleford-Catalans
Sat 17th Aug
SL
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
14:30
England M-Samoa M
Sun 14th Jul
NRL 19 Manly44-6Newcastle
CH 15 Batley22-2Barrow
CH 15 Bradford2-14Wakefield
CH 15 Halifax6-14Featherstone
CH 15 Sheffield22-34Swinton
CH 15 Widnes34-12Dewsbury
CH 15 York27-0Doncaster
L1 15 Newcastle16-42Hunslet
L1 15 Oldham32-6Crusaders
L1 15 Workington14-12Rochdale
WSL2024 8 York V62-0FeatherstoneW
WSL2024 8 Wire W4-50LeedsW
WSL2024 8 Hudds W4-18BarrowW
Sat 13th Jul
NRL 19 Gold Coast24-16Parramatta
NRL 19 Brisbane26-30St.George
SL 17 Hull FC10-24Hull KR
SL 17 Leigh20-16Huddersfield
SL 17 Catalans20-0Salford
CH 15 Whitehaven24-34Toulouse
Fri 12th Jul
NRL 19 Cronulla58-6Wests
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 16 443 182 261 28
Warrington 17 436 231 205 24
Hull KR 17 421 227 194 24
St.Helens 17 441 186 255 22
Catalans 17 324 234 90 22
Salford 17 317 328 -11 22

Leeds 17 309 316 -7 18
Leigh 16 290 266 24 13
Huddersfield 17 314 385 -71 12
Castleford 17 280 455 -175 11
Hull FC 17 228 520 -292 4
LondonB 17 176 649 -473 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 15 534 156 378 30
Sheffield 15 404 251 153 22
Toulouse 14 378 210 168 19
Bradford 15 355 244 111 19
Widnes 15 361 281 80 17
Featherstone 15 410 289 121 16

York 16 366 305 61 14
Batley 15 239 322 -83 14
Doncaster 15 257 368 -111 13
Swinton 15 318 366 -48 12