FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Leeds Rhinos > Blake Austin (includes NRL spoiler from this a.m.)
43 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
International Star1439No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2019Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: BrisbaneRhino "leedsnsouths - right now I couldn't care less what the criteria are so long as they are applied. Using grandparents etc is fine by me. If and when England ever get competitive then agitate for a change to the criteria. But we're not ompcetitive, and we don't produce enough players via SL to be likely to for the foreseeable future. What I think is absolutely bizarre is seeking not to use the criteria that exist (flawed or otherwise) for some notion of purity which like I said only RL fans seem to care about.

You could also add that the scenario you paint about Austin is very unlikely. He hasn't even been talked to by Bennett as far as we know. Bennett is a seriously good manager of people and I would think he'll talk to existing England players as well as any NRL players who put their hands up before deciding on them. I doubt he'd pick a player knowing he might change loyalties later. McNamara didn't do that when clearly he could have, and probably for same reason, the impact it would have on the rest of the team.

International RL is the one area where our sport can grow and make itself bigger. We can go on losing badly and occasionally narrowly to Aus. What we need is to get back to a position where we lose narrowly and occasionally win. Competitiveness is what will sell international RL in the long term. Like I said, I think attempts to get England NOT to apply existing criteria for some mythical purity is just madness.'"

I am just annoyed that the criteria has been loosened this year, a lot of it to seemingly appease Bennet by the rfl. Its not just RL fans, I think you would see similar backlash if, for example, fifa decided to apply the rugby union eligability rules, and allowed any premier league player to play for england.

I just think it is part of a worrying trend that is actually decreasing the importance of test matches. I am sure you have noticed in recent years that if a player needs surgery he will do it over the international period, which in theory should be the most important time for a player.
The main reason that test RL isn't growing is because it is not taken seriously enough in Aus. I think that it will be taken even less seriously if the 'England' team field a team where nearly everyone plays in Australia and many of the people were born in Australia.

I think most peoples biggest complaint though is that they want the people who play for England to WANT to play for England, and not just play for us as a second choice, if he is out of favour in the australia team, like the Morris twins.
I have no problem having a kiwi as an RU england captain because he decided to play for England when he decided to play in the premiership.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3243No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: leedsnsouths " Would you really be okay with say Austin playing for us this year in the 4 nations, but next year he has a great year and Cronk gets injured so Aus want him and he plays for them in the world cup? '"

This cannot happen now.

The new rules that apply or at least are being brought in mean that once you've played for one tier A team (England, New Zealand, Australia and I cannot remember if any other Nations are included) you cannot play for another tier A team, which is why the RFL came out the other month to diffuse all the uproar when it came out that Bennett was sounding out the Morris twins, then they announced the above, confirming that neither of the Morris twins could play for us because they've already played for Australia.

So, so long as Austin or whoever hasn't represented Australia, if he played for England he couldn't then go play for Australia 2 years down the line

RankPostsTeam
International Star798
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: leedsnsouths "I just think it is part of a worrying trend that is actually decreasing the importance of test matches. I am sure you have noticed in recent years that if a player needs surgery he will do it over the international period, which in theory should be the most important time for a player.
The main reason that test RL isn't growing is because it is not taken seriously enough in Aus. I think that it will be taken even less seriously if the 'England' team field a team where nearly everyone plays in Australia and many of the people were born in Australia.

I think most peoples biggest complaint though is that they want the people who play for England to WANT to play for England, and not just play for us as a second choice, if he is out of favour in the australia team, like the Morris twins.
I have no problem having a kiwi as an RU england captain because he decided to play for England when he decided to play in the premiership.'"

This is a really good point. I was watching a programme on sky about English cricket in the 90's. They became the lowest ranked test team and Nasser Hussain said the change in fortunes came when central contracts were introduced. This changed the mindset of their county teams being the most important to it being about playing for your country. Now I can't see the RFL bringing in central contracts, but something needs to happen to the whole game to make international rugby the pinnacle again. This needs to include better marketing of the international game to get it out there and in the public eye. It's not an overnight fix but we need an internationally body focused on expanding the game and growing the international game. I know there's lots of nations playing, but it's small time.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif
:fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif

Test RL will not be taken seriously until England compete with Australia. That means that England need to be able to beat them, and for it not to be a complete shock if they do. Uncertainty and tight contests is what makes international RU a sporting event.

Central contracts etc etc won't make squat difference ATM because SL just doesn't produce enough good players. We're struggling to find a single quality halfback and have full back options a million miles behind Australia. Yet our backline options now are better than they have been in years, at least 2-5.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1439No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2019Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: BrisbaneRhino "Test RL will not be taken seriously until England compete with Australia. That means that England need to be able to beat them, and for it not to be a complete shock if they do. Uncertainty and tight contests is what makes international RU a sporting event.

Central contracts etc etc won't make squat difference ATM because SL just doesn't produce enough good players. We're struggling to find a single quality halfback and have full back options a million miles behind Australia. Yet our backline options now are better than they have been in years, at least 2-5.'"

But if we pick Australians more and more then that takes even more pressure off the rfl to encourage the production of quality young players, meaning that in the long term it would only decrease our competitiveness

Also, the Australians didn't take it seriously when the Kiwis beat them three times in a row, and even declined to take part in any post season fixtures, so why would us beating them (especially with a team full of players who may never have been to England before) make any difference?

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: BrisbaneRhino "Test RL will not be taken seriously until England compete with Australia.'"

International RL won't be taken seriously until we have several more top nations competing, not if/when England beat Australia.

People who think the international game can get anywhere when it basically consists of 3 teams needs to give their head a shake. International RU and cricket would struggle if it was only really made up of Eng/NZ/Aus with all the others well below them.

RankPostsTeam
International Star798
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: ThePrinter "International RL won't be taken seriously until we have several more top nations competing, not if/when England beat Australia.

People who think the international game can get anywhere when it basically consists of 3 teams needs to give their head a shake. International RU and cricket would struggle if it was only really made up of Eng/NZ/Aus with all the others well below them.'"

Exactly. Something needs to be done to develop the game in this countries dipping their toes in the water.

In terms of producing players. Our youngsters regularly compete and beat their counterparts. It seems we're struggling turning these kids with potential into top quality players

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

Quote: D4mo78 "Our youngsters regularly compete and beat their counterparts. It seems we're struggling turning these kids with potential into top quality players'"

Not this year they don't. Getting tonked for the second week in a row at the minute. Physically and technically miles behind in the one and a half games of this series so far.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1439No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2019Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Andy Gilder "Not this year they don't. Getting tonked for the second week in a row at the minute. Physically and technically miles behind in the one and a half games of this series so far.'"

I believe we beat them earlier this year though when the Aussie schoolboys came to England. I agree though that the Aussie backs look better than ours.

A positive from a Leeds perspective though is that Oledzki looked good and was getting on top of his counterpart, in fact the England pack struggled a lot when he went off. Looks like he should be in the first team squad next year.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

The Australian backs look good because they're playing off fast ball from their forwards winning collisions. When they put their foot on the gas we don't look quick enough or strong enough to cope with it.

Oledzki went ok, but he needs to work on his lateral movement in defence. Too many times he plants his feet then can't adjust his body if the target moves. Must have been getting fatigued though, IIRC he played the first 30 minutes straight.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

What I will say from these two games is I really don't get why people were upset at Morgan Smith moving on. Done very little in either game of note with the ball and his field kicking has been ordinary at best.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1439No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2019Feb 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Andy Gilder "What I will say from these two games is I really don't get why people were upset at Morgan Smith moving on. Done very little in either game of note with the ball and his field kicking has been ordinary at best.'"

But if he is playing on this tour then he must be better than the halves we have in the academy

Whats the age limit for this game btw?

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: ThePrinter "International RL won't be taken seriously until we have several more top nations competing, not if/when England beat Australia.

People who think the international game can get anywhere when it basically consists of 3 teams needs to give their head a shake. International RU and cricket would struggle if it was only really made up of Eng/NZ/Aus with all the others well below them.'"

Yep. We need to focus on developing France and Wales. 2 nations that have a basis (albeit a small one) of people who play RL and there's a network to work from and that can be developed.

In my opinion international development in RL should focus sharply on getting France and Wales competitive with England.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif
:fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif

The problem with that is that the gap between England and France/Wales is much bigger than the gap between Australia and England. England are focusing on getting close to Australia and rightly so.

Without big name signings from RU, which will never happen again, Wales will never be close to England. With a bit of luck from a couple of star kids in the right positions France could get competitive, but right now they are not much better than Championship standard at full strength. Over time they could get better, but its really hard to see them ever being strong enough to challenge England, let alone Aus/NZ.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: BrisbaneRhino "The problem with that is that the gap between England and France/Wales is much bigger than the gap between Australia and England. England are focusing on getting close to Australia and rightly so.

Without big name signings from RU, which will never happen again, Wales will never be close to England. With a bit of luck from a couple of star kids in the right positions France could get competitive, but right now they are not much better than Championship standard at full strength. Over time they could get better, but its really hard to see them ever being strong enough to challenge England, let alone Aus/NZ.'"

And that's the problem and why International RL will never get big because it's only made up of 3 teams.

Imagine if in RU, the Welsh, Irish, French and Scottish teams were as weak/far behind England as their RL counterparts. They probably wouldn't even have a 6 Nations and even if they did it wouldn't be anywhere near the success it is in terms of money/attendances/media coverage with England winning every game every year 50-0. Likewise with the Southern Hemipshere with Argentina and South Africa, the latter a 2 time World Cup winner in RU, in RL they don't even qualify for the WC.

Unless RL gets bigger in other countries (which will take over a decade or more at least) then England beating Australia will be nothing other than a nice moment for long suffering long term RL fans to enjoy. The international equivalent of Wakey finishing above Leeds this season.....something to brag about now for the fans in question but in the long run doesn't mean or change anything.

43 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
43 posts in 4 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.9501953125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Rumours thread
JINJER
25m
Leigh it is
MadDogg
25m
Squad 2024
faxcar
34m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
34m
Film game
Boss Hog
50m
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
51m
Shopping list for 2025
UllFC
54m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
UllFC
Recent
Call for funds
Tony Fax
Recent
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Loiner at la
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Call for funds
Tony Fax
41s
Leigh it is
MadDogg
1m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
1m
Recruitment rumours and links
MorePlaymake
1m
Shopping list for 2025
UllFC
2m
Film game
Boss Hog
4m
Ground Improvements
imwakefieldt
6m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
8m
Squad 2024
faxcar
8m
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
MorePlaymake
TODAY
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Mr Snoodle
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
Chris71
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
karetaker
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
TODAY
Leigh it is
MadDogg
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
Cokey
TODAY
Must do better
Wires71
TODAY
Warrington Wolves Break Saints Hearts With Golden Point Win
RLFANS News
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M +22,275 80,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 Sat 5th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22