JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
982.jpg
[quote:1pqtnbtj]Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.[/quote:1pqtnbtj] Kevin Sinfield:982.jpg

Quote: Gotcha "You might want to read up on the actual rule. Because that is not what this change is at all.'"

It sort of is though isn't it.

Looking at Andy's post they could sign Cooper Cronk for £300k but only £175k would count against the cap.

Presumably, we would have to designate the marquee player?

If so, it will be obvious to all that [ione[/i guy is on a damn good crack.

Also, if they using it on a club trained player, let's say, Watkins, isn't Ryan Hall or Zak Hardaker's agent going to be banging on the door?

Leeds success has been built upon a degree of salary equality between team mates. This goes against it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Conversely it also allows Hall nor Hardaker to seek out those wages elsewhwere and if they can't get a marquee designation elsewhere then what can they do?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: tigertot "I'd like you to go for Marquee Smith.'"

Marquee Mark would be more exciting.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: G1 "It sort of is though isn't it.

Looking at Andy's post they could sign Cooper Cronk for £300k but only £175k would count against the cap.

Presumably, we would have to designate the marquee player?

If so, it will be obvious to all that [ione[/i guy is on a damn good crack.

Also, if they using it on a club trained player, let's say, Watkins, isn't Ryan Hall or Zak Hardaker's agent going to be banging on the door?

Leeds success has been built upon a degree of salary equality between team mates. This goes against it.'"

No it doesn't at all. It can still have the exact same ethos, as equality in salaries if they wanted it that way. What it does do more than anything is give us a 1.925 million cap rather than 1.825 million, but you have to nominate the player concerned.

Every club however, including Leeds has an inequality in the salaries they pay, you would be pretty naïve to believe they don't. Surely you are not thinking, after all your posts, as an example that Ian Kirke was earning the same as Jamie Peacock. So what is the different in equality terms with the likes of Singleton and Cuthbertson?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman1988
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
997_1434186100.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_997.jpg

For my two pence, I'm not sure that I like the Marquee player rule, It has the potential to allow clubs to keep or sign 1 "star player", which it may be a good thing. But it could have a load of down sides, It could cause lower earning clubs to be anchored at the bottom of the table if they can't compete to bring in a marquee player, or worse lose the talent they have to richer clubs. it could drive the salary expectations of players up which whilst good for the players could tax poorer clubs. It could be divisive with in the squads. I fear that this is a rule change that allows richer clubs to try to buy success. Not sure it will work or that it is good for the game. Also can't see Leeds blowing the budget on one player, it may however hamper our search to strengthen the squad.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7069
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2023Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Odemwingie":34o3cs52] I hope his career is over.(regarding danny mcguires injury 2010 play offs)[/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="Ewwenorfolk":34o3cs52] I'm glad McGuire got injured, hope he's out for about 10 months[/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="Bulls4Champs2010":34o3cs52]Price, Civ, Beaver, Moz and Wiki. Peacock is not in the catagory of these special players.[/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="McLaren_Field":34o3cs52] To be fair, their teams are also inconsequential to their own fans judging by the amount of traffic that all the other boards get [/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="Warrington Wolf":34o3cs52]If you win the weekly rounds then without doubt you are the champions.[/quote:34o3cs52]:

Is the 50k rule for long serving players still in play? If so you can use the full 50k on just one player. Meaning you could have Watkins on about 200k (marquee), Hall on 200k (50k off the cap) and hardaker on 200k and it only count as 450k on the cap.

This leaves more cash for the other lads. If clubs are smart and GH is, basically we could just add an extra pay grade at the top of the scale.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Gotcha "No it doesn't at all. It can still have the exact same ethos, as equality in salaries if they wanted it that way. What it does do more than anything is give us a 1.925 million cap rather than 1.825 million, but you have to nominate the player concerned.

Every club however, including Leeds has an inequality in the salaries they pay, you would be pretty naïve to believe they don't. Surely you are not thinking, after all your posts, as an example that Ian Kirke was earning the same as Jamie Peacock. So what is the different in equality terms with the likes of Singleton and Cuthbertson?'"

...but nobody presently has the label "marquee player" ...the connotations just sound divisive to me.

If we bring in Cronk maybe Hall; Watkins and Hardaker might end up being marquee players at other clubs if the title floats their boat

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

Quote: Gotcha "Every club however, including Leeds has an inequality in the salaries they pay, you would be pretty naïve to believe they don't. Surely you are not thinking, after all your posts, as an example that Ian Kirke was earning the same as Jamie Peacock. So what is the different in equality terms with the likes of Singleton and Cuthbertson?'"

But that won't be where it causes issues.

Let's say, for example, that Ryan Hall and Kallum Watkins are both on £100k a year as established internationals.

Word gets out that the RFU or an NRL club are sniffing after Watkins, so Leeds offer him £150k a year to stay in the knowledge that only £100k of that is going to count against the cap. If you're Ryan Hall's agent, aren't you immediately banging on Hetherington's door wanting to know why your client - a player of similar standing in the game - isn't also getting £150k?

It's going to become much harder to pin players down on long-term contracts, because their earning potential will fluctuate depending on which other clubs in SL have marquee player slots available that they might be able to exploit to get a few extra quid in their pockets.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg

Quote: nantwichexile "...but nobody presently has the label "marquee player" ...the connotations just sound divisive to me.

If we bring in Cronk maybe Hall; Watkins and Hardaker might end up being marquee players at other clubs if the title floats their boat'"

I am sure that when a player is signed or a new contract issued, there is not a provision that you have to state this is our Marquee player. All the clubs have to do is operate their cap the way they do now, and advise the RFL compliance who their Marquee player is so that the cap calculations will be accurate.

All we are really seeing here is a way of increasing the cap by an amount that isn't even 10%, despite how many years it has been in operation.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Andy Gilder "But that won't be where it causes issues.

Let's say, for example, that Ryan Hall and Kallum Watkins are both on £100k a year as established internationals.

Word gets out that the RFU or an NRL club are sniffing after Watkins, so Leeds offer him £150k a year to stay in the knowledge that only £100k of that is going to count against the cap. If you're Ryan Hall's agent, aren't you immediately banging on Hetherington's door wanting to know why your client - a player of similar standing in the game - isn't also getting £150k?

It's going to become much harder to pin players down on long-term contracts, because their earning potential will fluctuate depending on which other clubs in SL have marquee player slots available that they might be able to exploit to get a few extra quid in their pockets.'"
yeah but what if you are Carl Ablett and you are seeing both hall and Watkins getting 100k already and you only get 60k?

Personally I think the idea that our success is based on rules allowing us to pay players less than their worth pretty distasteful

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg

Quote: Andy Gilder "But that won't be where it causes issues.

It's going to become much harder to pin players down on long-term contracts, because their earning potential will fluctuate depending on which other clubs in SL have marquee player slots available that they might be able to exploit to get a few extra quid in their pockets.'"

That's a fantasy assumption to make. It really is going to be no different to before. Leeds have had that exact same scenario, as have other clubs. You still have 1.925 million to play with, not just the £100k you speak of.

What do you think Sinfield in his prime, or more appropriately Peacock, Ali, Webb and Buderus were earning? surely you don't think the same as Kirke, Bailey, McShane, and Clarkson?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

Quote: Gotcha "That's a fantasy assumption to make. It really is going to be no different to before. Leeds have had that exact same scenario, as have other clubs. You still have 1.925 million to play with, not just the £100k you speak of.

What do you think Sinfield in his prime, or more appropriately Peacock, Ali, Webb and Buderus were earning? surely you don't think the same as Kirke, Bailey, McShane, and Clarkson?'"

To take the second paragraph first, you'd have to be an idiot to believe that. I'm a lot of things, but when it comes to rugby league that isn't one of them.

Where are you getting the £1.925 million figure from? It's any salary over and above the £100/175k paid to the marquee player that is exempt isn't it? So if your marquee player is a home-grown player, you could pay him £1m a year if you wanted but only £100k of it would end up counting against the cap figure of £1.825 million.

What I'm saying is that if you designate one player as a "marquee" player - even if it's done in private to the RFL as part of the cap declarations - it's going to get out pretty quickly who that player is. RL is a small world. Players talk to each other about contracts. A very small pool of agents represent elite players across the league, and they all talk to each other about what deals they've got for their clients.

If clubs use the marquee player rule to give a salary increase to one player, then all his mates at a similar level within the club are going to want to know why he got it and they didn't. It's potentially divisive, and harks back to the sort of issues Leeds had in the past with signings like John Gallagher and Brett Mullins for example.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Gotcha "I am sure that when a player is signed or a new contract issued, there is not a provision that you have to state this is our Marquee player. All the clubs have to do is operate their cap the way they do now, and advise the RFL compliance who their Marquee player is so that the cap calculations will be accurate.

All we are really seeing here is a way of increasing the cap by an amount that isn't even 10%, despite how many years it has been in operation.'"

...so you don't think that advice to the RFL compliance will leak onto the net?? It will soon become obvious to all as to who has the label at each club even if not obvious to begin with.

Daft! Either have a cap or don't... This concept is doomed to failure

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg

Quote: nantwichexile "...so you don't think that advice to the RFL compliance will leak onto the net?? It will soon become obvious to all as to who has the label at each club even if not obvious to begin with.

Daft! Either have a cap or don't... This concept is doomed to failure'"

Does it leak now, how much players are on? and I'm not talking about bullters.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain434No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
73877_1443115014.jpg
“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.” ― [b:pmq1153i]Frank Zappa[/b:pmq1153i]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_73877.jpg

Quote: craigizzard "Marquee Mark would be more exciting.'"

Marquee De Sade would be more interesting

80 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
80 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.0234375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Betting 2024
karetaker
3m
TV Games - Not Hull
boardwalkemp
3m