Aug 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2018May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
17505_1301920246.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_17505.jpg

We started the season with arguably the strongest squad ever, or so we thought. As the season progressed it was obvious that we rely to much on individual effort and brilliance. Peacock in the forwards and Danny or Sinny. They have an off day or are injured, and we struggle for the spark needed to open up defences.

GH will have already thought about the age and composition of our squad, and I'm sure we will see at least 2 or 3 new faces being brought in for next season. We can hope that some of the youngsters can progress, but I reckon we may have seen the last of our old warhorse Peacock.

Not a bad season by any means....I'll take a CC Final and a semi final GF play off any day....it just seems a hell of a long time till February

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: Era of the Biff "This year IMO has been the most difficult for trying to live up to expectation. After 3 in a row there has been no letup in the dislike for Leeds from clubs through to certain sections of the media.

I would have liked to have gone on and won it again but I do feel some relief that we've nothing to live up to now. No perch to knock us off.

I have no expectations for next year, we've done pretty well to finish 3rd after an injury ravaged season. Freshen things up and we have nothing to live up to next season. Hopefully we'll have better luck with injuries.

What are your expectations?'"

I've always had no expectations for next year, glad to see you are finally seeing the light. I now fear that the club are acting too late to have any expectations for 2012 also. We should have been going through a big transistion next year, not over two years.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

1 Warrington 2 Hull 3 Wigan 4 Castleford 4 Castleford 5 St Helens 6 Leeds 7 Catalans 8 Hudedersfield 9 Widnes 10 Wakefield 11 Salford 12 Leigh Playoffs:Warrington Hull Wigan Castleford Four sides rejoining: Widnes Wakefield Salford Leigh GF Winners Warrington CC Winners Wigan:

I agree with most of what's been posted on here.
I have been amazed at how much difference Maguire has made to the Wigan team with essentially the same squad that Noble had.
I was surprised that the Wolves - despite winning the cup - had a relatively disappointing season considering the squad that Smith has assembled.
But Saints have most to pleased about, despite not having their one major signing available for most of the season & losing both their halves, they have reached the Grand Final & blooded many youngsters.
In view of both Wigan & Saints recruitment for next season I think that we will have to stay injury free & develop defensively under McDermott to be in with a chance of emulating let alone bettering our efforts this season.
Nevertheless, I'm already looking forward to next season but with lower expectations than this.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

I also agree with most said by the previous posters. Well done the lads for their sheer guts of going down to the wire in both competitions when not at their best.

Having said that we must not ignore the clear signs af a team who are moving past their peak. Without McGuire we lack a sharpness in attack with a noticable lack of guile and pace at centre. IMO Delaney is a carthorse who gives his winger little chance of scoring and was a bad bit of recruiting.

From a coaching and tactical point of view we have been overtaken by several other clubs who have a clearer tactical game plan. Other teams know how to slow up our PTB and close down our key players. We still have a game plan that simply relies on the outstanding individual skills of just a few players. Our lack of a penetrating attack and our decline in a tight defence has been evident all season which has been extenuated, but not caused by, our unfortunate injuries this year.

Saints have continued to remain at the top because they recruited a team full of ball players and a go forward game plan based on speed and backing up in numbers. We have a team which on paper looks good but in practice is getting a little tired as advancing years and injuires take their toll.

We no longer have the speed which was such an important part of our game. We are losing Donald our fastest man while Senior, Burrow, Webb, Ali, JJB, Diskin, Smith have all lost that extra "yard" that previously put them clear. We never replaced Ellis's skills and now will lose his promising replacement too early. Add to this the fact that for half of next season we will have to do without two of our most influencial players and you will see we have problems to solve.

On the other hand we do have some good young prospects returning or coming through but none that have shown electric pace or superstar skills.

In summary I would say we have to accept that we need a couple of seasons to rebuild and give the youngsters a chance or we have to replace the likes of Ali who is a shadow of his former self, and Delaney, Kirke, Bailey who are just not good enough for a championship side. We need to recruit a class go forward prop as a matter of urgency and a young half back with promise.

To finish on a positive note the players are to be congatulated on giving of their best and rising to the challenges. We now need the management to do the same.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Mar 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Some very astute comments.....said it for a while: ñext season will be one of low expectations and a year of transition. Top 8 forget the GF and give the CC a good go.

This year has only been as " successful " as it has been because of the match winning ability of McGuire ( who has stayed injury free for the season )... and the remarkable team spirit.

Let's hope we will get the signings needed sooner rather than later.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7069
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2023Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Odemwingie":34o3cs52] I hope his career is over.(regarding danny mcguires injury 2010 play offs)[/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="Ewwenorfolk":34o3cs52] I'm glad McGuire got injured, hope he's out for about 10 months[/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="Bulls4Champs2010":34o3cs52]Price, Civ, Beaver, Moz and Wiki. Peacock is not in the catagory of these special players.[/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="McLaren_Field":34o3cs52] To be fair, their teams are also inconsequential to their own fans judging by the amount of traffic that all the other boards get [/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="Warrington Wolf":34o3cs52]If you win the weekly rounds then without doubt you are the champions.[/quote:34o3cs52]:

I expect a few teams to take their eye off Leeds. I think we will see new improvement with brain mac coming in. I also expect gh to bring one or 2 signings in. I think we will be in for a trophy or 2. I don't see any reason why we can't finish top.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2176No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2014May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50179_1293328133.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50179.jpg

Quote: sgtwilko "I think we will see new improvement with brain mac coming in.'"

What do you think he will improve? Harlequins have gone backwards each year under him haven't they?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1568
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33521_1264522771.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33521.jpg

the one big worry for you leeds fans has to be how will mcguire recover from his injury. its a really bad one to get. he is not an organising 6 and his effectiveness is his speed to exploit a gap and quickness in broken play. if he loses a yard of pace after this injury you will lose some of that spark to unlock tight defences. burrow doesnt seem to be the player he has been in the past and your front row is aging. senior has looked alot less effective in the centre and less of a threat from what i have seen of him this year, still strong and has a great off load but he is much easier to contain nowadays due to naturally losing pace. if leeds are entering a transistional period, i hope its a short one, the competition needs a strong leeds side.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7069
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2023Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Odemwingie":34o3cs52] I hope his career is over.(regarding danny mcguires injury 2010 play offs)[/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="Ewwenorfolk":34o3cs52] I'm glad McGuire got injured, hope he's out for about 10 months[/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="Bulls4Champs2010":34o3cs52]Price, Civ, Beaver, Moz and Wiki. Peacock is not in the catagory of these special players.[/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="McLaren_Field":34o3cs52] To be fair, their teams are also inconsequential to their own fans judging by the amount of traffic that all the other boards get [/quote:34o3cs52] [quote="Warrington Wolf":34o3cs52]If you win the weekly rounds then without doubt you are the champions.[/quote:34o3cs52]:

Quote: Era of the Biff "What do you think he will improve? Harlequins have gone backwards each year under him haven't they?'"

structure, disipline, fitness.

As much as you say quins went backwards, they have been let down by recruitment and injurys. I think of the quins that were around the top of sl and turning Leeds over with awesome displays as well as a team that has struggled at times.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member12792
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2020Oct 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1506.jpg
[quote:18jc6kzm]I wish everyone would read bramleyrhino's post two or three times just to get it through some thick skulls[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote:18jc6kzm]Mr bramleyrhino speaks a lot of sense.[/quote:18jc6kzm] [quote="Jamie Jones-Buchanan":18jc6kzm]"I'd never forgive myself if a child of mine was born in Lancashire.[/quote:18jc6kzm]:1506.jpg

Quote: lothlorian "the one big worry for you leeds fans has to be how will mcguire recover from his injury. its a really bad one to get. he is not an organising 6 and his effectiveness is his speed to exploit a gap and quickness in broken play. if he loses a yard of pace after this injury you will lose some of that spark to unlock tight defences. burrow doesnt seem to be the player he has been in the past and your front row is aging. senior has looked alot less effective in the centre and less of a threat from what i have seen of him this year, still strong and has a great off load but he is much easier to contain nowadays due to naturally losing pace. if leeds are entering a transistional period, i hope its a short one, the competition needs a strong leeds side.'"

McGuire isn't as big a concern as Peacock in my view. The guy doesn't have time on his side and he, for many years, has played far too many games. This idea of him being a 50-60min+ prop, as well as playing in every play-off series and international tour has to end (it wouldn't surprise me if he, reluctantly, announces his international retirement in the next 6-8 months).

As for this season, there's no doubt that it has been a tough one. The injuries to key players have obviously been a big blow throughout different stages of the season. Add to that, last week was the first break the team have had since January 29th. 35 consecutive games (one of which with a side depleted with international call-ups) is a massive ask for any club.

After targeting the CC so clearly this season, I was highly sceptical that the players could pick themselves from the Wembley debacle. To their credit, the really put in a solid effort in these play-offs.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3242No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: BillyRhino "We started the season with arguably the strongest squad ever, or so we thought. As the season progressed it was obvious that we rely to much on individual effort and brilliance. Peacock in the forwards and Danny or Sinny. They have an off day or are injured, and we struggle for the spark needed to open up defences.

GH will have already thought about the age and composition of our squad, and I'm sure we will see at least 2 or 3 new faces being brought in for next season. We can hope that some of the youngsters can progress, but I reckon we may have seen the last of our old warhorse Peacock.

Not a bad season by any means....I'll take a CC Final and a semi final GF play off any day....it just seems a hell of a long time till February'"

I agree with most of that but am still surprised the GH/Coaches gave so many of the out of contract players 1 year extensions for next season.

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

Quote: Juan Cornetto "
Saints have continued to remain at the top because they recruited a team full of ball players and a go forward game plan based on speed and backing up in numbers.

'"

I would agree with much of what you posted, but this has me baffled. What exactly have Saints accomplished that we haven't? They were not at "the top" last year, we were. They haven't won the SL title since 96 and last year they were potless, a situation that could also be the case this year.

There is a leaning towards Saints, even from our fans, that I find very strange. They seem to be forgiven failure in a way our team isn't. They are a great club, but we have edged them for quite some time now. If Saints have "continued to remaion at the top" then where have we been?

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

Quote: Gotcha "I've always had no expectations for next year, '"

You do have expectations. You expect us to fail. You always expect us to fail.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10530
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18919_1341147656.jpg
[quote="King Monkey":30st820n]Maybe a spell in prison would do Graham good. At least he'd lose his virginity.[/quote:30st820n]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18919.jpg

I agree with a lot of whats been said and I do think its time to start the transition and blood some new players and maybe add 1 or 2 to the squad. I'd move Delaney into the back row and bring Watkins into the centres. I agree with some that Delaney hasn't been great in the centre but along with Peacock offers more meters per carry than any other player in the team, and he averages about 20 tackles a match. He should be moved into the pack where I think he could become a real gem of a second rower. Also as has been said bring BJB in and move Wbb to stand off to cover for McGuire. We need to try and get some pace back into the team, its a shame we couldn't keep Brouhgton as I think he would've been an excellent replacement for Donald.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2176No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2014May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50179_1293328133.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50179.jpg

Quote: DHM "You do have expectations. You expect us to fail. You always expect us to fail.'"

icon_lol.gif

86 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
86 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.1474609375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Warrington h
Simba16
4m
Round 20 Salford away 3/8/24
chapylad
5m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
chapylad
7m
Myler Ellis
mwindass
8m
Film game
Boss Hog
17m
Prediction Competition Week 21 plus rearranged game
Sarahgrhino
19m
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Borough Bonus
Barbed Wire
26m
Panthers v Knights
terry silver
33m
Dewsbury away
PopTart
56m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Lockie Lam
Blackandwhit
33s
Kicking Game
Wires71
44s
Barbed Wire
47s
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
scarrie
48s
Leigh h pt 2
NickyKiss
55s
TV Games - Not Hull
Steve0
1m
Rumours and signings v9
scarrie
1m
Round 20 Salford away 3/8/24
chapylad
2m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
2m
This weeks disciplinary
karetaker
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Myler Ellis
mwindass
TODAY
Barbed Wire
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition London Away
Uncle Rico
TODAY
Kicking Game
Wires71
TODAY
London Broncos Victorious Over Off-Colour Catalans Dragons
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squads - Warriors v Leopards
LeythIg
TODAY
Lockie Lam
Blackandwhit
TODAY
Leigh h pt 2
NickyKiss
TODAY
Weve never had it so good
MjM
TODAY
Leigh Away
scarrie
TODAY
Dual Reg & Loans The Rules Explained
faxcar
TODAY
Salford Win the Mid Table Battle Over The Rhinos
RLFANS News
TODAY
Saints Back To Winning Ways With Big Win Over Hull FC
RLFANS News
TODAY
Hull KR Top of the League With Stunning Win Over Warrington
RLFANS News
TODAY
York at home
WT_Midlander
TODAY
cats
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
Lord Tony Sm
TODAY
New 4-year deal for Marshall
Jason65
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
London Broncos Victorious Over..
Salford Win the Mid Table Batt..
Saints Back To Winning Ways Wi..
Hull KR Top of the League With..
Wakefield Trinity Back to Winn..
Catalans Dragons Defeat Hull F..
Salford Move Closer To Play Of..
Warrington Wolves Humiliate Wi..
Bill Arthur Rest In Peace..
Rhinos Comfortably Win Scrappy..
Battling Tigers Beat The Drago..
Hull KR Defeat Leeds In Headin..
Twelve Man Warrington Stun Sai..
2024 State of Origin - Game 3 ..
Wakefield March On With Win Ov..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.61M 3,486 80,09214,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R2
20:00
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Thu 8th Aug
     National Rugby League 2024-R23
10:50
Souths
v
Melbourne
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R21
St.Helens
v
Salford
 Fri 9th Aug
09:00
Gold Coast
v
Cronulla
11:00
Parramatta
v
Penrith
     Womens Super League 2024-R11
17:30
LeedsW
v
WiganW
Huddersfield
v
Catalans
Hull KR
v
Castleford
       Championship 2024-R21
Wakefield
v
Sheffield
 Sat 10th Aug
06:00
Canberra
v
Manly
08:30
NQL Cowboys
v
Brisbane
10:35
St.George
v
Canterbury
12:00
St.HelensW
v
FeatherstoneW
       League One 2024-R19
13:00
Cornwall
v
Hunslet
14:00
BarrowW
v
Wire W
15:00
Leeds
v
Wigan
       Championship 2024-R21
18:00
Doncaster
v
Toulouse
 Sun 11th Aug
05:00
Dolphins
v
NZ Warriors
07:05
Newcastle
v
Wests
12:00
York V
v
Hudds W
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Thu 8th Aug
SL
St.Helens-Salford
Fri 9th Aug
SL
Huddersfield-Catalans
SL
Hull KR-Castleford
Sat 10th Aug
SL
Leeds-Wigan
Sun 11th Aug
SL
Leigh-Hull FC
SL
LondonB-Warrington
Sat 17th Aug
SL
19:30
Warrington-Leeds
SL
17:00
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
14:30
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:30
Leigh-Salford
SL
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:30
Huddersfield-Castleford
Fri 23rd Aug
SL
Castleford-Warrington
SL
Leeds-Catalans
Sat 24th Aug
SL
St.Helens-Hull KR
SL
14:00
Salford-Huddersfield
Sun 25th Aug
SL
LondonB-Leigh
SL
Wigan-Hull FC
Fri 30th Aug
SL
Hull KR-Salford
SL
Leigh-Warrington
Sun 4th Aug
SL 20 LondonB12-10Catalans
WSL2024 10 FeatherstoneW6-68LeedsW
WSL2024 10 BarrowW6-64St.HelensW
WSL2024 10 Wire W0-61York V
WSL2024 10 WiganW70-0Hudds W
L1 18 Keighley72-12Newcastle
L1 18 Oldham32-0Midlands
L1 18 Rochdale46-32Cornwall
L1 18 Workington24-28Crusaders
CH 20 Barrow24-24Bradford
CH 20 Dewsbury16-42Wakefield
CH 20 Featherstone24-16Batley
CH 20 Halifax38-18York
CH 20 Sheffield22-20Doncaster
CH 20 Whitehaven12-24Widnes
NRL 22 Penrith22-14Newcastle
NRL 22 Canterbury22-18Canberra
Sat 3rd Aug
SL 20 Hull FC6-46St.Helens
SL 20 Salford22-16Leeds
CH 20 Swinton4-48Toulouse
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Hull KR 20 503 259 244 30
Wigan 19 495 258 237 30
Warrington 20 502 267 235 28
Salford 20 377 382 -5 26
St.Helens 20 501 262 239 24
Catalans 20 376 286 90 24

Leeds 20 371 364 7 20
Leigh 19 392 286 106 19
Huddersfield 20 350 453 -103 14
Castleford 20 336 523 -187 13
Hull FC 20 274 612 -338 6
LondonB 20 210 735 -525 4
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 18 626 222 404 34
Sheffield 18 510 303 207 26
Toulouse 17 516 224 292 25
Widnes 18 434 319 115 23
Bradford 18 421 321 100 22
Featherstone 18 464 375 89 18

Doncaster 18 338 432 -94 17
York 19 446 383 63 16
Batley 18 300 390 -90 16
Halifax 18 356 477 -121 14