FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Leeds Rhinos > GH opinion latest - agree or disagree?
185 posts in 13 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9061
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23603.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "The fact the RFL is in such a mess is partly down to Gary huge influence, he got Wood the job, who in turn surrounded himself with losers such as Solly and Rimmer. '"

How did GH get Wood his job? Not saying you're wrong, just that I don't remember the circumstances surrounding his appointment.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Clearwing "How did GH get Wood his job? Not saying you're wrong, just that I don't remember the circumstances surrounding his appointment.'"

When Lewis went Wood was put in temporary charge until a successor could be found - that process never happened!!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach19234No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35376_1277564281.gif
[img:35s0tdes]http://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/12/34/74/45/lr200913.gif[/img:35s0tdes]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35376.gif

Quote: Sal Paradise "When Lewis went Wood was put in temporary charge until a successor could be found - that process never happened!!'"

How does that prove GH got Wood the job?
The way your talking and others implys GH runs the RFL now which in the cold light of day is total bollox!

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Hang on, so Hetherington not only managed to convince the RFL Board to appoint Wood, he also managed to convince the RFL Council to vote through his appointment, and managed to convince Richard Lewis it was a good idea?

Him
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "When Lewis went Wood was put in temporary charge until a successor could be found - that process never happened!!'"

Wrong. Very, very wrong.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Sal Paradise "During that time the club lost huge amounts of money - were is the RU team now? The fact they were yoyo club without any sustainable growth in quality on the field or crowds must in part be down to the person who runs the club.

Without Caddick's money the club would have been bust, the Carnege was paid for by Leeds Met, Caddick's money paid for the training facility at Kirkstall etc. Who do you think paid for Harris? Once the club had got on roll it became self financing but it is easier to borrow money for major projects if you have some collateral.'"

Without Caddicks money the club would have been bust. But its not because of Caddick throwing money at the Rhinos that we are where we are. The clubs was only reliant on Caddicks money in the early stages because of the ineptitude of the previous owners.

The RU club were a yo-yo club because of the obvious difficulties which arise from P+R. Every time Carnegie built some kind of platform their instable position broke it up.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Sal Paradise "As long as he retain his influence through the back door - hence Wood. You only have to look at how Gary got Tony Smith out of the Leeds job and into the England job to see his power base at the RFL.

Wood is his man, he is in charge because of Gary and GH seems able to easily brush aside the ineptitude at the RFL - why is that?'"

does GH brush aside the ineptitude of the RFL?

[iThis decision is purely down to bureaucracy and red tape and it is so disappointing that Rugby League players are treated differently to other professional sportsmen and how little influence our governing body seem to have compared to other sports[/i

www1.skysports.com/news/12040/8479003/

hardly a glowing endorsement of the RFL>
Quote: Sal Paradise "As long as he retain his influence through the back door - hence Wood. You only have to look at how Gary got Tony Smith out of the Leeds job and into the England job to see his power base at the RFL.

Wood is his man, he is in charge because of Gary and GH seems able to easily brush aside the ineptitude at the RFL - why is that?'"

does GH brush aside the ineptitude of the RFL?

[iThis decision is purely down to bureaucracy and red tape and it is so disappointing that Rugby League players are treated differently to other professional sportsmen and how little influence our governing body seem to have compared to other sports[/i

www1.skysports.com/news/12040/8479003/

hardly a glowing endorsement of the RFL>

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10145_1279728778.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10145.png

I don't see how using the Ru club can be used as a negative against GH. He took a small club, and got them to win major silverware.

the business was not profitable at the level they were competing at. The club are now at a suitable level. The club not being profitable is not the fault of GH, simply a case of wrong market. You could have a really good sausage roll recipe, but if you open a shop in Tel Aviv you will struggle

G1
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32302No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
982.jpg
[quote:1pqtnbtj]Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.[/quote:1pqtnbtj] Kevin Sinfield:982.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "During that time the club lost huge amounts of money - were is the RU team now? The fact they were yoyo club without any sustainable growth in quality on the field or crowds must in part be down to the person who runs the club.

Without Caddick's money the club would have been bust, the Carnege was paid for by Leeds Met, Caddick's money paid for the training facility at Kirkstall etc. Who do you think paid for Harris? Once the club had got on roll it became self financing but it is easier to borrow money for major projects if you have some collateral.'"

I think you're just wrong here.

When you say "the club" lost huge amounts of money, do you mean Leeds CF&A Ltd or the Union club?

Caddick may well have guaranteed the debts he inherited but he's never put a penny into the league club (He stopped funding the union club after a while as well). He and GH have made the company sustainable and profitable in it's own right.

You use the RU club as a negative example. We would not have the Kirkstall facilities without the RU club which were not paid for by Caddick but were an asset of that self same Union club we accquired (not a bad deal eh?) and the refurb funded by Sport ENgland thanks to being a Union Club as well as a league club.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: The Eagle "I don't see how using the Ru club can be used as a negative against GH. He took a small club, and got them to win major silverware.

the business was not profitable at the level they were competing at. The club are now at a suitable level. The club not being profitable is not the fault of GH, simply a case of wrong market. You could have a really good sausage roll recipe, but if you open a shop in Tel Aviv you will struggle'"

You want it both ways - he's a great businessman because RL is in the right market, but it isn't his fault that RU didn't work despite the club game in the UK being financially viable in a number of other locations in the UK?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Just on the Rugby Union issue. I am not a fan of what GH did with it, and would rather have stayed away. But wasn't he sold a bit of a poop bag. The rumblings were that RU was going to some form of franchise/geographical split, and that a a top flight Yorkshire club was deemed necessary as part of those plans.

With that in the pipeline, he set up the club ready for it to gain a permanent fixture at the top table. Only for those plans to be abandoned, and the rest is history.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: G1 "I think you're just wrong here.

When you say "the club" lost huge amounts of money, do you mean Leeds CF&A Ltd or the Union club?

Caddick may well have guaranteed the debts he inherited but he's never put a penny into the league club (He stopped funding the union club after a while as well). He and GH have made the company sustainable and profitable in it's own right.

You use the RU club as a negative example. We would not have the Kirkstall facilities without the RU club which were not paid for by Caddick but were an asset of that self same Union club we accquired (not a bad deal eh?) and the refurb funded by Sport ENgland thanks to being a Union Club as well as a league club.'"

Gareth I take your point but I think you are wrong with regards to Caddick not putting any money in. Initially he did guarantee the 7m overdraft but where did the 350k that it cost to buy Harris come from? Who owned the RU club we accquired?

I totally agree re the good work GH has done on the Rhinos - without Caddick's money the financial turn around would not have been possible. The club could not afford to stay overnight for a fixture in London let alone put a team together like the one the Murray managed. When people talk about GH being some kind of business guru they need to put things into context Leeds is a tiny business - and compared to the likes of Ken Davy, Lenagan and McManus his business experience is very limited.

Him
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

Quote: Gotcha "Just on the Rugby Union issue. I am not a fan of what GH did with it, and would rather have stayed away. But wasn't he sold a bit of a poop bag. The rumblings were that RU was going to some form of franchise/geographical split, and that a a top flight Yorkshire club was deemed necessary as part of those plans.

With that in the pipeline, he set up the club ready for it to gain a permanent fixture at the top table. Only for those plans to be abandoned, and the rest is history.'"

I thought that too. IIRC a decent amount of Premiership teams were in favour of it, can't quite remember why it faltered.

But as mentioned previously, to take a team like Leeds to a good position in the Premiership and win the Powergen Cup is a worthy achievement. Especially as their academy was starting to produce results. IIRC the salary cap in Union got raised and the French clubs went crazy with their money, and Caddick couldn't/wouldn't fund it anymore, hence selling it off.

I think Sal is being very disingenuous here, Hetherington's management of the club, with very limited financial input from Caddick (not a criticism of Caddick btw) has been superb.

I'm still interested in how he managed to convince the RFL Board, Council and Richard Lewis to give Nigel Wood a job though.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Him "I thought that too. IIRC a decent amount of Premiership teams were in favour of it, can't quite remember why it faltered.

But as mentioned previously, to take a team like Leeds to a good position in the Premiership and win the Powergen Cup is a worthy achievement. Especially as their academy was starting to produce results. IIRC the salary cap in Union got raised and the French clubs went crazy with their money, and Caddick couldn't/wouldn't fund it anymore, hence selling it off.

I think Sal is being very disingenuous here, Hetherington's management of the club, with very limited financial input from Caddick (not a criticism of Caddick btw) has been superb.

I'm still interested in how he managed to convince the RFL Board, Council and Richard Lewis to give Nigel Wood a job though.'"

That is what having a power base does - Wood went from FD a Halifax where they were bankrupt when he left into the FD role at the RFL how does that happen? because GH needed to have a voice at the top table, Wood would never have got that job on merit - a bit like Rimmer also - he needed influence to get it - you scratch my back etc.

No one is criticising GH achievements at Leeds RL but the union is just an example that not everything he touches turns to gold. You would have to be pretty bad not to make a success of Leeds RL it was a sleeping giant, do you think if GH and Caddick had gone into Halifax instead the results would have been the same or for that matter why not stay at Sheffield?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach19234No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35376_1277564281.gif
[img:35s0tdes]http://i84.servimg.com/u/f84/12/34/74/45/lr200913.gif[/img:35s0tdes]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_35376.gif

Sal-A couple of things firstly just because Wood got the RFL job where does the evidence come from that it was because of GH??
Secondly onto the Carnegie issue their Acadamy has produced some top players who the likes of Leicester and Northampton have picked off plus when they got promoted the new team doesn't get the same ££ from the Premiership as the other sides do so are already behind money wise which is hardly the said Clubs CEO's fault.

185 posts in 13 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
185 posts in 13 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.25927734375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Film game
karetaker
9m
Rumours thread
Kettykat
11m