JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

Quote: tvoc "I predicted a St Helens win last night. '"

Well done you must be so pleased with yourself.

Quote: tvoc "Do you not think Maguire was the catalyst in the change of fortunes at Wigan?

I perhaps was guilty at the time of underestimating an outstanding core group of players and their ability to rise above the mediocrity that passes for the regular rounds under the flawed (and soon to be dumped) format. '"

"perhaps"!!! indicates that perhaps you did not underestimated the players. Either way you were wrong but you just cannot bring yourself to admit that you were so wrong. Lets us remind ourselves of what you posted in 2011

Quote: tvoc ""The example of Maguire merely shows the value of getting the number one appointment in the club (playing wise) correct.

Leeds are showing what can happen if you get it completely wrong. It could take several years (or more) before we see Leeds challenging for honours again. Not all of that is down to one poor coaching appointment but it plays a highly significant part." '"

...and now "perhaps" you can my answer which you have avoided which was

I do not think that Maguire's comparatively brief spell had anything to do with the already successful and ongoing junior development set up at Wigan. To award him accolades for this and to attempt to denigrate Brian McDermott by implying poor development transition at Leeds is a cheap shot and a failure to understand how rugby clubs operate.

Maguire was certainly a catalyst for change not only at Wigan but throughout the SL. He brought with him the tactic of slowing down the PTB with a 4th tackler flopping on the already tackled player. A ploy that now pervades the entire league with negativity another reason for some of the mediocrity you mentioned. Maguire also brought a more slick and structured use of the dummy runner or blocker or let us call it what it is obstruction.

While ever this "outstanding core group of players" maintain their places at Leeds our game style will still rely "heavily on individual plays" and something which I hope will continue with their replacements as I much prefer to watch traditional rugby skills than gridiron football.

My understanding of the Bradford selections was that Handley was down to play but failed to turn up in time and a late team change had to be made.

I notice that you now regard the SL as "flawed" in much the same way as you now choose to deride the OPTA stats which for so long happily filled your postings. You must be devastated to have spent so much time copying and collating records of the "flawed (and soon to be dumped) format"

Brian McDermott has already established a better legacy than any rival SL coach during the time since his appointment as first team coach at Leeds. 2 Championships, a WCC and 3 Cup final appearances despite the fact that the outstanding core players are well past their best.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator9187
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27287_1532947987.png
BELIEVE. BELIEF. BEYOND. IT AIN'T WHERE YOUR FROM, ITS WHERE YOUR AT. SWMC Coach's very own timekeeping aficionado & expert stair inspector.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_27287.png

Correct. He does seem to coast in games, so hopefully he will stamp his authority and take his chance by the scruff of the neck.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: Juan Cornetto "I do not think that Maguire's comparatively brief spell had anything to do with the already successful and ongoing junior development set up at Wigan. To award him accolades for this and to attempt to denigrate Brian McDermott by implying poor development transition at Leeds is a cheap shot and a failure to understand how rugby clubs operate.'"

The turnaround at Wigan is more to do with Ian Lenagan taking over at the end of 2007. It took him a couple of seasons to get things into order and reaps the rewards. Maguire was a right man at the right time. For all that talk of Wigan youngsters.....only 3 players that made their debuts under Maguire from the academy are still at Wigan, Charnley, Farrell and Hughes (and the latter isn't exactly a key figure there).

Much like Tony Smith here, Maguire came at just the right time. Just when Sam Tomkins was ready to become a star and with the Melbourne Storm guys coming over to add to the squad. Add also the timing of Leeds and Saints having to go through varying transitions after dominating the 2007-2009 period and not exactly being at their best during the Maguire years (even though we both still got to the 2011 GF) then it all came along nicely for him.

Even in Wigan's GF success of 2013 only 4 players from the 17 came from the academy post Maguire's hiring, the 3 aforementioned ones plus Dom Crosby. You could perhaps say a 5th in Thornley who was part of Wigan's academy but went to Sale for a while in RU.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

实事求是!:

Quote: ThePrinter "The turnaround at Wigan is more to do with Ian Lenagan taking over at the end of 2007. It took him a couple of seasons to get things into order and reaps the rewards. Maguire was a right man at the right time. For all that talk of Wigan youngsters.....only 3 players that made their debuts under Maguire from the academy are still at Wigan, Charnley, Farrell and Hughes (and the latter isn't exactly a key figure there).

Much like Tony Smith here, Maguire came at just the right time. Just when Sam Tomkins was ready to become a star and with the Melbourne Storm guys coming over to add to the squad. Add also the timing of Leeds and Saints having to go through varying transitions after dominating the 2007-2009 period and not exactly being at their best during the Maguire years (even though we both still got to the 2011 GF) then it all came along nicely for him.

Even in Wigan's GF success of 2013 only 4 players from the 17 came from the academy post Maguire's hiring, the 3 aforementioned ones plus Dom Crosby. You could perhaps say a 5th in Thornley who was part of Wigan's academy but went to Sale for a while in RU.'"

Noble pretty much put most of that team together, taking them from relegation to the brink of the grand final (they lost 3 gf semi's on the trot under noble). Maguire came in and added the finishing touches. Their nrl structured attack and tackling ''technique'' and control of the ruck. They've not really lost any of that since, but they've lost alot of stars. That 2010 team was pretty tasty. If you look at the players they've lost since then......

Leneghan has done a real remarkable job with recruitment since then. They had a completly new halfback pairing last season and won the double. The signing of smith and green was extremley clever, probably the best halfback pairing in the league and on a budget wage I imagine.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

Leeds leading 24-8 - almost half time

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg

Golding might get on in 2nd half to rest Hardaker

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: Sal Paradise "When i look as stupid as you i will begin to worry - you jump on any bandwagon you can when it comes to certain posters on here!!This thread is a perfect example of this, you need somebody else to stand behind because in reality you are just a scared little boy. Now run along and come back when you have grown up a little.'"

Really, what posters do I continuously stand behind or jump on their bandwagon? Can you list some proper examples or are you just reaching? Please don't tell me that that one single post jokingly saying "you've just got served" is all you have, that would be pathetic.

I admit I get into some arguments on here but they come off me standing my ground in an argument of my own accord and not the chipping in you do in support of others. In rugby terms you're like the constant 3rd man into the tackle lending his weight but never the first guy in. Even with my run-ins with the likes of Gotcha I can respect him because he makes his points and stands his ground honestly and isn't afraid to argue his case......you on the other hand just chime in on the back of others debates with repeated regularity and no one on this board is a better example of hiding behind other posters than yourself, it's actually cringeworthy how much you do it and seemingly don't realise.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member22289
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg
:4615.jpg

Quote: Old Feller "I agree that Maguire's reign seems to have been as you say, most especially on the matter of fitness/conditioning & on their tackle tecnique that rely heavily on the Craig Bellamy style of wrestling the ball carrier, holding him up then a third or fourth defender coming in & hitting the tackler below the knee.
A tactic I abhor & which has been recognised as dangerous, in the NRL at least by outlawing it.
Wigan still do this from time to time - it lead I believe to Salter's injury on Thursday for instance.
I do not agree that Maguire was responsible (as you imply) for the junior development, that I think was due for more to the influence of Dean Bell (as it was here at Leeds) & those academy staff who have followed him.'"

Wigan have always produced quality juniors - before Bell, with Bell and since Bell.

What Maguire introduced was structute on the field and a no excuses culture. Importantly that structure is replicated throughout the grades within the club so when juniors are introduced to the 1st grade they know their role. That transition appears seamless, very few look out of their depth, unknowns become reliable squad members within a matter of a couple of outings.

Does this happen at Leeds?

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: tvoc "Wigan have always produced quality juniors - before Bell, with Bell and since Bell.

What Maguire introduced was structute on the field and a no excuses culture. Importantly that structure is replicated throughout the grades within the club so when juniors are introduced to the 1st grade they know their role. That transition appears seamless, very few look out of their depth, unknowns become reliable squad members within a matter of a couple of outings.

Does this happen at Leeds?'"

No, but it doesn't happen at Wigan either. The first team at Wigan doesnt play the same way as the u19's. They also have brought players in from outside in most of the key positions. It's much easier for a second row to slot in to a first team than a half back.
Also these reliable squad members after a couple of outings also put in poor performances over the season. Losing to Bradford and only drawing with Hull KR for instance.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

1 Warrington 2 Hull 3 Wigan 4 Castleford 4 Castleford 5 St Helens 6 Leeds 7 Catalans 8 Hudedersfield 9 Widnes 10 Wakefield 11 Salford 12 Leigh Playoffs:Warrington Hull Wigan Castleford Four sides rejoining: Widnes Wakefield Salford Leigh GF Winners Warrington CC Winners Wigan:

Quote: tvoc "Wigan have always produced quality juniors - before Bell, with Bell and since Bell.

Does this happen at Leeds?'"

So not down to Maguire then?

We've never played the same type of structured game IMV so not a criticism that should be laid solely at McDermott's feet.

Since 2004, I would argue that our results overall, despite that lack, have been better than Wigan.
Would I like to see more structure in our play? Yes, but that's been true for a long time. The issue is that we have got away with it due the outstanding ability of a few key individual players, that era may be due to end soon.
Hence why I believe that now we need to appoint an assistant coach full-time.
On that I'm sure we can both agree.
To do otherwise is false economy.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

I don't want to see more structure in our play. I think we have enough as it is. Just because we aren't doing the same play over and over again like Wigan do doesn't mean we don't play with structures.

What I want to see is 2 extra props at Leeds as we only have 2 and a young lad at the moment.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg

Quote: Him "I don't want to see more structure in our play. I think we have enough as it is. Just because we aren't doing the same play over and over again like Wigan do doesn't mean we don't play with structures.

What I want to see is 2 extra props at Leeds as we only have 2 and a young lad at the moment.'"

I agree with you. I too do not want to see more structure if it is the sort of boring obstruction moves and laying on in the ruck. The attraction of rugby for me is to see the individual talents of the likes of Watkins and Burrow. In the more structured set up you can get away with 2nd rowers in the centres as it is all about power and painting by numbers.

As you say Leeds do play within certain structures or frameworks for both defence and attack. In attack we allow the players more individual freedom than some because we have players with individual skills. However all structures only work when the players are on form and have the timing perfect. I am sure if you watched Wigan week in week out you would see that they too have plenty of off days.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

1 Warrington 2 Hull 3 Wigan 4 Castleford 4 Castleford 5 St Helens 6 Leeds 7 Catalans 8 Hudedersfield 9 Widnes 10 Wakefield 11 Salford 12 Leigh Playoffs:Warrington Hull Wigan Castleford Four sides rejoining: Widnes Wakefield Salford Leigh GF Winners Warrington CC Winners Wigan:

I wonder if by structure people mean a bit more attacking idea near to the opponent's line.
I do.
Our play is to my untutored eye too much off the cuff but we've not done too badly playing like that for the past few years.
But as I said earlier, that's great with players of the calibre we've had, can we continue to be successful when those players retire?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: ThePrinter "Really, what posters do I continuously stand behind or jump on their bandwagon? Can you list some proper examples or are you just reaching? Please don't tell me that that one single post jokingly saying "you've just got served" is all you have, that would be pathetic.

I admit I get into some arguments on here but they come off me standing my ground in an argument of my own accord and not the chipping in you do in support of others. In rugby terms you're like the constant 3rd man into the tackle lending his weight but never the first guy in. Even with my run-ins with the likes of Gotcha I can respect him because he makes his points and stands his ground honestly and isn't afraid to argue his case......you on the other hand just chime in on the back of others debates with repeated regularity and no one on this board is a better example of hiding behind other posters than yourself, it's actually cringeworthy how much you do it and seemingly don't realise.'"

You took it pretty hard when your failings were exposed - or have you forgotten that? My point was simply that those that live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Unlike you I don't feel the need to ram my opinion down everyone's throat on every opportunity - do you suffer from some confidence issues that mean you crave attention all the time?

I argue my case where I feel it is appropriate or where I feel strongly enough to justify the time to write a detailed post. This isn't very often, life is far too short to obsess about a form of entertainment - which let's face it is all rugby is, it isn't life and death. For me its quality over quantity!!

Part of the fun is winding you up - which is really easy - doesn't take much of a poke for your true colours to come out. Just read back over this thread and you will see what I mean. As the saying goes the word is mightier than the sword something you could take on board.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Sal Paradise "You took it pretty hard when your failings were exposed'"

Did I? I toyed with tvoc to see what the motives of his childish challenge was......had he not done that I would've comfortably and straight forwardly admitted/altered/discussed the correct stats.....when someone challenges you to leave the board forever you can't help but be intrigued by their motives, even when they start to back peddle.

Quote: Sal Paradise " - or have you forgotten that?'"

Not really and how could I? Even thought the original debate on that thread was with Gotcha and then one with Tvoc, YOU still constantly bring it up (even though it started back in January) like the faithful little lackey you are icon_smile.gif

I believe Gotcha and Tvoc want a cup of tea so be a good boy and run along and put the kettle on icon_smile.gif

153 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
153 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.6025390625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Todays match v Saints
The Speculat
15m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
16m