Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: Juan Cornetto "If Burgess had already decided to return to South's then I would have thought he would not delay in announcing it. The way has been cleared by the NRL so it only remains for Sam to decide. Bath will not want to keep a player who wants out.'"

Why would he come out and announce he wanted to go back to Souths before a deal was done? It's between the two clubs to agree a deal and all Burgess can do is wait for them to do that. If they fail to do so then he's left hanging dry by announcing he wanted to return to RL but having to return to RU. Bath might not to keep him if he's said he wants to leave, but they aren't going to let him go for peanuts either.

He might not owe the media anything, but announcing he wants to stay at Bath wouldn't be for their benefit, it'd be for his coach and clubs benefit to end this media circus that they're being dragged in to.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

实事求是!:

Quote: Seth "What a load of rubbish. Not like Its a big life changing decision is it! What do you expect, that he would declare his commitment and love for Leeds over night. The sh 1te that's posted on this board!'"

Read what I posted, and digest it. Understand it.

There's a difference between him being interested and wanting to join but taking time over a big decision. Giving it the due dilligence any big life decision needs, and us having to say ''please come sam, please come''.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6694No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: FlexWheeler "Read what I posted, and digest it. Understand it.

There's a difference between him being interested and wanting to join but taking time over a big decision. Giving it the due dilligence any big life decision needs, and us having to say ''please come sam, please come''.'"

Of which neither you or any of us know the background to, or if leeds are even speaking to him. Which makes your '....sod him' comment along with those about him rotting in RU or going to 'uncle Russell' sound pretty pathetic.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4239No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201312 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

实事求是!:

Quote: Seth "Of which neither you or any of us know the background to, or if leeds are even speaking to him. Which makes your '....sod him' comment along with those about him rotting in RU or going to 'uncle Russell' sound pretty pathetic.'"

I didn't realise you were so sensitive.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6694No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: FlexWheeler "I didn't realise you were so sensitive.'"

Good Response. Not sensitive, just pointing out the daft nature of your post.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif
:fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif

I think he'll at least see out his contract at Bath. Even if he wants to return to Souths they would have to do some pretty quick manouevering to clear cap space, so 2016 will be very difficult without letting some stars go and likely to lead to them having a very unbalanced squad.

The tragedy of this whole farce is that Burgess is a great RL forward.

As DHM says, there's nothing yet to suggest he will ever be more than an average RU player. Not his fault, but clearly too many people buy into players being great in one sport being able to transfer to another. Outside backs are different, as the roles are quite similar, but anything else is basically a blind punt. Ford clearly stated that Burgess would be a centre when he joined Bath, then came to realise he was never a centre. Remarkable lack of insight from any coach since nobody who'd ever watched Burgess play RL could have sensibly thought he'd ever make a centre.

The people to blame for this mess are Ford and Farrell for recruiting him, Lancaster for buying into the hype rather than using his eyes, and Burgess himself for having an ego big enough to believe that sheer willpower and athleticism would transfer into another sport.

As it is I think he'll stay at Bath, be an OK club player and then go back to Souths having missed three peak years of RL. There will be no guarantee that by then he'll have anything like the same impact he had previously, and it would be tragic if he comes back as a shadow of his former self.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

Now the BBC have an active 9 point quiz on their news web site to help Sam decide to stay in Union or return to South's. The only England player in the news in RWC final week icon_biggrin.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star549No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2016Apr 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68506_1348769232.jpg
"He's the best coach I've had... His mix of man-management and his game plan is second to none. Since Brian Mac has been in charge, we've been in every final so far. I love playing for him. I can't praise him enough, I've so much respect for him and I hope he's here for a very long time." Kevin Sinfield 29/9/12:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68506.jpg

Quote: BrisbaneRhino "I think he'll at least see out his contract at Bath. Even if he wants to return to Souths they would have to do some pretty quick manouevering to clear cap space, so 2016 will be very difficult without letting some stars go and likely to lead to them having a very unbalanced squad.

The tragedy of this whole farce is that Burgess is a great RL forward.

As DHM says, there's nothing yet to suggest he will ever be more than an average RU player. Not his fault, but clearly too many people buy into players being great in one sport being able to transfer to another. Outside backs are different, as the roles are quite similar, but anything else is basically a blind punt. Ford clearly stated that Burgess would be a centre when he joined Bath, then came to realise he was never a centre. Remarkable lack of insight from any coach since nobody who'd ever watched Burgess play RL could have sensibly thought he'd ever make a centre.

The people to blame for this mess are Ford and Farrell for recruiting him, Lancaster for buying into the hype rather than using his eyes, and Burgess himself for having an ego big enough to believe that sheer willpower and athleticism would transfer into another sport.

As it is I think he'll stay at Bath, be an OK club player and then go back to Souths having missed three peak years of RL. There will be no guarantee that by then he'll have anything like the same impact he had previously, and it would be tragic if he comes back as a shadow of his former self.'"

Some of the RU commentators are saying it was plain arrogant to think Burgess could go from rookie to RU international in a matter of months. For once I'm inclined to agree. I think our collective, natural disdain for RU has caught us out on this occasion.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain94
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2016Apr 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Come on Sam have a season or two at the Rhinos. Agree that it was arrogant/optimistic of someone to think he could pick it up in a few months but thats all hindsight. RU commentators are loving being able to say this?

RankPostsTeam
International Star984
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
59188_1305800900.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_59188.jpg

Quote: Juan Cornetto "Now the BBC have an active 9 point quiz on their news web site to help Sam decide to stay in Union or return to South's. The only England player in the news in RWC final week
How does that go?

1) Do you want to stand with your hands on your hips whilst the scrum is reset for a 5th time, in 2 minutes on a wet Saturday in Exeter?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

Quote: Fetlar "Some of the RU commentators are saying it was plain arrogant to think Burgess could go from rookie to RU international in a matter of months. For once I'm inclined to agree. I think our collective, natural disdain for RU has caught us out on this occasion.'"

There will always be knockers who say Burgess won't make it in any position in Union but the facts are that he already has made it to the very top in a position that was not his natural one within a year of making the transition. It was precisely because he was selected for the World Cup squad and then actually made into the starting lineup that has irked those same knockers who had been proven wrong and now want to try and prove they were right all along by blaming him for all England's woes.

In such a short time it is no wonder he isn't the finished Union product yet. But in the WC he did all that was asked of him including strong impact from the bench that secured a victory, keeping the much heralded and very experienced Roberts fully in check for all the time SB was on the field and putting in much better performances as a centre than the very experienced Barritt in all the games.

So I do not buy the criticism of SB as it was all a smoke screen to avoid having to admit we lost two games because our very experienced players, and in particular our much over rated forwards, gave away stupid penalties within kicking distance, were out played and out thought and our very experience captain couldn't make the right decision when it counted. So experience and playing the game from being a junior did't count for much when it mattered did it!

SB was selected ahead of the other centre candidates as something of a wild card which was logical in the absence of decent form from the other contenders. Most of the SB knockers would have selected Tuilagi yet he can't pass or kick, has suspect defence and few rugby skills other than power. Burgess may be a novice but he has more to offer that Tuilagi and it is ironic that the critics could not see SB's worth.

Ford has always seen Burgess as a 6. However inside centre was the obvious place for him to start and it was what the national coach had requested. But is wasn't long before Ford moved him to 6 for Bath where he has shown very good progress including being selected for the big game at the end of last season. If he chooses to stay in Union I can see him going onto become an international back rower as again when you look at the current competition it is hardly world class. But he may just decide that the pull of family, sunshine and superhero status are an easier option.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

Quote: Juan Cornetto "SB was selected ahead of the other centre candidates as something of a wild card which was logical in the absence of decent form from the other contenders. Most of the SB knockers would have selected Tuilagi yet he can't pass or kick, has suspect defence and few rugby skills other than power. Burgess may be a novice but he has more to offer that Tuilagi and it is ironic that the critics could not see SB's worth.'"

Except it wasn't a choice between Burgess and Tuilagi, as the latter had managed to get himself suspended for another off-field indiscretion. It came down to a straight choice between Burgess and Luther Burrell, who has never let England down, is still relatively young and has plenty to offer the national side in the future. Burrell and Jonathan Joseph would have given England an athletic, well-balanced centre pairing heading into the tournament.

Lancaster took a punt on Burgess instead. It was his most high profile selection decision, so when England failed it was the one that came under the most scrutiny.

It's alright bemoaning people for not seeing what Burgess "has to offer", but truth is like many of his England team mates he didn't deliver it on the biggest stage. His performances were ordinary rather than outrageous, functional rather than fabulous. He did a job, but frankly I don't think he did anything in the World Cup that Burrell, Tuilagi or any of the other centres who missed out couldn't have done.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1421No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Oct 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Agree with above about picking Burrell. IMO where he went wrong was playing barritt and picking slade but having no confidence to play him when Joseph injured. Adding burgess and his inexperience meant he got the whole centre pick wrong. Truth is he could have had mal meninga at centre that england team would not have been much good. burgess is an ideal distraction for the rfu to avoid scrutiny on a poor pack and not picking Hartley and anyone playing in France. I reckon burgess on way back next week to rl. He is not killing the speculation.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg

Quote: Andy Gilder "Except it wasn't a choice between Burgess and Tuilagi, as the latter had managed to get himself suspended for another off-field indiscretion.'"

I didn't say it was a choice between these two. I was making the ironic point that those who were critical of the selection of Burgess for a lack of centre skills had been championing Tuilagi who would probably have been selected had he not been convicted and I was comparing the skill set of the two. So why did they expect Burgess to possess silky centre skills when they were happy with Manu.

Quote: Andy Gilder " It came down to a straight choice between Burgess and Luther Burrell, who has never let England down, is still relatively young and has plenty to offer the national side in the future. Burrell and Jonathan Joseph would have given England an athletic, well-balanced centre pairing heading into the tournament.'"

The choice came down to 3 out of Barritt, Twelvetrees, Burrell, Slade and Burgess. In the warm up games Burgess and Slade both impressed when England beat France. The combination of Burrell and Joseph looked rusty in the return game in Paris and we were well beaten. In both games Twelvetrees came on for the final quarter without looking good. In the win against Ireland Barritt and Joseph were the centres with Burgess coming on for Barritt for the last quarter.

Burrell lost his chance based on poor form both in the warm up and in training. He had played well previously but had lost form and his timing was out and he would have only been understudy to Barritt anyway who it turned out was our weak link.

Quote: Andy Gilder "Lancaster took a punt on Burgess instead. It was his most high profile selection decision, so when England failed it was the one that came under the most scrutiny. '"

Yes I agree it was a punt but as I say it wasn't as if there was great competition based on form. Despite his novice status Burgess did not let the side down and bossed Roberts against Wales and left the field with England in the lead. England did not go out of the WC because of the inexperience of Burgess. In fact it was his more experienced teammates who kept giving away penalties and it was the pack that was outplayed in every game and most of the warm up ones too.

Quote: Andy Gilder "It's alright bemoaning people for not seeing what Burgess "has to offer", but truth is like many of his England team mates he didn't deliver it on the biggest stage. His performances were ordinary rather than outrageous, functional rather than fabulous. He did a job, but frankly I don't think he did anything in the World Cup that Burrell, Tuilagi or any of the other centres who missed out couldn't have done.'"

As I keep saying we lost the games in the forwards and with our poor decision making. I do not think it fair to say Burgess did not deliver and he was more than ordinary when he cam on as a sub and injected urgency and go forward in the first game. Against Wales he was up against the hugely experienced Lions centre and danger man Roberts who is noted for beef rather than fancy footwork himself and SB won all the exchanges and did not look out of place at all.

But not everyone was as critical of Burgess. Writing for The Daily Mail, former England coach Sir Clive Woodward praised the league convert for his efforts at Twickenham
“Burgess was picked to do a specific job in tandem with Farrell — who was outstanding — and Barritt and to that extent it worked,” Woodward wrote. “But in World Cups you pick depending on the opposition and he isn’t guaranteed a start next time.” Woodward also noted that Burgess showed he had ‘big match aura’ “in spades” and “looked in his comfort zone on a massive occasion.

So IMO Sam has every right to feel aggrieved at the blame that was unfairly blasted his way. It was disgraceful.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

Quote: BrisbaneRhino "I think he'll at least see out his contract at Bath. Even if he wants to return to Souths they would have to do some pretty quick manouevering to clear cap space, so 2016 will be very difficult without letting some stars go and likely to lead to them having a very unbalanced squad.'"

Rumours that Souths are shopping Dylan Walker around in an attempt to clear some cap space for Sam. Anything on the wire down there about it, BR?

330 posts in 23 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
330 posts in 23 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.17578125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Seth
11m
Film game
karetaker
12m
Best Semi
ratticusfinc
30m
BORED The Band Name Game
Cokey
32m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
mwindass
33m
Call for funds
Brew
Recent
Squad for HKR
Lord Tony Sm
Recent
Proposed rule changes 2025
leeds owl
Recent
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
Recent
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Deeeekos
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
mwindass
1m
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
1m
Man of Steel
matt_wire
1m
BORED The Band Name Game
Cokey
1m
Film game
karetaker
3m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
4m
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
6m
Squad 2024
faxcar
6m
Call for funds
Brew
6m
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Best Semi
ratticusfinc
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Deeeekos
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
Lord Tony Sm
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
leeds owl
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Douglas Blac
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
moxi1
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
TODAY
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
Cokey
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 2,890 80,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22