Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg
:4615.jpg

I didn't say he went to deflect it, I imagine he went to catch it. In order to catch it he was both feet off the ground, arms extended above his head and landed into Gene Ormsby's tackle within ten of the Leeds line. If that was the incident described elsewhere as Watkins missing an easy try scoring opportunity then I'd respectfully disagree.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: tvoc "I didn't say he went to deflect it, I imagine he went to catch it.'"

So he did miss a simple catch then?

As for the rest of your post, you make it sound like he was in a RU line out. The pass wasn't some crisp one-man missed out cut out pass, it was a big unnecessary looping pass that missed out 3 guys and Watkins could've made a brew whilst waiting for it to reach him. Ormsby had time to realise it wasn't going to reach him and adjust himself to be ready to tackle Watkins but Watkins fluffed his lines.

G1
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32302No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2018Oct 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
982.jpg
[quote:1pqtnbtj]Every player in our squad could probably earn more money with another club. But they prefer to sacrifice a few extra quid in their back pocket to share special memories. And playing at a place like Old Trafford on a night like this makes it all worthwhile.[/quote:1pqtnbtj] Kevin Sinfield:982.jpg

Golding was a lot better last night. Was a brave display after last week.

And the subject of this thread looks better every week. On our first try in particular I didn't notice a lack of pace.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif
:fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif

Lilley's not lightning quick but he's not as slow as some. He looks to have most of the basic the elements of a very good halfback. He can pass and kick, which puts him about 50% better than most British halfbacks at his age. Interceptions also smack very much of someone who can read play.

What he doesn't have is an experienced partner, or any experience at all of playing in a decent team. Three of his games last year were bad losses during the tired run at the end of the season. Judging any of the younger players on this year's performances is really harsh. There are a bunch of far more experienced players who ought to be damned on the basis of what they've dished out this year before you get anywhere near criticising the likes of Lilley, Golding, Handley and even Sutcliffe.

I was thinking about Sutcliffe and wondering whether maybe he should move to centre for a year or so. John Holmes took years to become a regular 6, as did Schofield and others before him. Again I'd say Sutcliffe has the makings of a class 6, but it's a big ask for him to try to learn in such a poor environment. He has less excuses than Lilley, but not by much IMO.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17139No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

Quote: BrisbaneRhino "
I was thinking about Sutcliffe and wondering whether maybe he should move to centre for a year or so. John Holmes took years to become a regular 6, as did Schofield and others before him. '"

Ellery, John Joyner are others, who ended up as loose forwards, which is where I would see Sutcliffe naturally developing into, if it hadn't become a third prop.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

Quote: BrisbaneRhino "Lilley's not lightning quick but he's not as slow as some. He looks to have most of the basic the elements of a very good halfback. He can pass and kick, which puts him about 50% better than most British halfbacks at his age. Interceptions also smack very much of someone who can read play.

What he doesn't have is an experienced partner, or any experience at all of playing in a decent team. Three of his games last year were bad losses during the tired run at the end of the season. Judging any of the younger players on this year's performances is really harsh. There are a bunch of far more experienced players who ought to be damned on the basis of what they've dished out this year before you get anywhere near criticising the likes of Lilley, Golding, Handley and even Sutcliffe.

I was thinking about Sutcliffe and wondering whether maybe he should move to centre for a year or so. John Holmes took years to become a regular 6, as did Schofield and others before him. Again I'd say Sutcliffe has the makings of a class 6, but it's a big ask for him to try to learn in such a poor environment. He has less excuses than Lilley, but not by much IMO.'"

I fully agree with this. I have long argued that Sutcliffe's skill set is best suited to centre or perhaps fullback. I believe it was wrong to expect Sutcliffe to take on Sinfield's pivotal role and that his replacement should have been our number one priority even if it meant using the marquee allowance.

Lilley to my mind has always looked a natural half back and deserves to play alongside a senior partner. I think if we are to take any positives from the season so far it is with the way the youngsters Lilley, Golding, Handley and Mullally have stepped up to the plate which as you point out is in contrast to the very disappointing Watkins, Hardaker, Hall, Ablett, Achurch and Falloon.

So squad changes are needed rather like Warrington made when they hit similar transition circumstances.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member22289
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg

What Leeds need and what Leeds get has long been a theme.

You only appear to have recognised the issue as the chickens have come home to roost and were one of the first in line to shoot down those prepared to question the failings and past cheap options being taken by the CEO.

Better late than never.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

Quote: tvoc "What Leeds need and what Leeds get has long been a theme.

You only appear to have recognised the issue as the chickens have come home to roost and were one of the first in line to shoot down those prepared to question the failings and past cheap options being taken by the CEO.

Better late than never.'"

I know you were sulking last year when we were topping the table, playing attractive rugby and winning the treble which put a stop to your negative postings for a while. But you did come out of hiding to take a swipe at the coach etc in our bad patch just after the Wembley Cup win so I know you were reading this forum. Therefore you should know I have not only "recognised the issue as the chickens have come home to roost" as you should have read my posts last year where I clearly stated our recruitment needs IMO.

In August Gotcha made the point that Sutcliffe had not shown himself "capable of doing what Sinfield does"

I replied that replacing Sinfield was our biggest problem saying"Sinfield's move to RU seemed to come out of the blue and has thrown Sutcliffe in perhaps a year too soon. Sutty has undoubted talent but as you say has not yet shown the ability to control a game or make match winning goal kicks. So IMO we need a proven controller and goal kicker if only for a short term to see if Sutcliffe is able to step up. If these missing skills have to be split between more than one player, as per JP, then so be it if the budget allows"[/i

When it was pointed out that the Sutcliffe/McGuire partnership was promising I also said

[i"Promising yes but we need more than promising. McGuire has had an excellent season but without a replacement for Sinny's we do not had a proven game manager or goal kicker and that could be the difference in our success next year"[/i

and also in August last year speaking of JP's replacements"All this could be wasted without a game manager and goal kicker to win us the tight games. This need not be a Thurston as such a signing may not be available however we have to accept that to go with Sutcliffe will be a gamble."[/i

and regarding the Brierley saga
"Brierley has a lot of talent but is essentially a runner who would fill a young DM role. Burrow, Sutcliffe and Mags are also primarily runners with the latter developing his creative passing skills. But none of these can replace Sinfield's leadership, game management and kicking abilities. If we were to sign Cameron Smith this would fulfill our needs totally but as this is unlikely then IMO we need both a hooker and a controlling half back who can kick."[/i

and in September"We need a quality hooker and another halfback. Our pack is looking good but unless we replace the loss of Sinfield's key game management and kicking skills we will suffer. Sutcliffe has shown great promise but not as a game manager or high percentage kicker. Of course he will improve in these areas but he does not look a natural 'give me the ball - I will sort it' type of player. Also he has had a serious injury which could have a detrimental effect on his game.

So IMO a proven controlling half back is required perhaps on a short term contract to allow Sutcliffe, Lilley & Golding to develop."[/i

and

[i" Neither am I suggesting some mediocre off contract import. Like the replacement of Aiton we need quality. However as it stands we have invested in the JP & Kylie replacements which could be wasted if we do not invest in Sinfield's replacement. Just look at the hullabaloo on here over losing the game management abilities of Sinfield while he has been playing at hooker.

Under the new extended season it is going to be important to rotate not just forwards but backs too. With a new quality half back we could still give plenty of game time to Sutcliffe, Lilley and Golding giving the ageing McGuire & Burrow plenty of rests. Which of the aforementioned are proven game managers?

Unless the new hooker is also a game manager then yes we do need a controlling quality halfback next year"[/i

So not a case of better late than never as I clearly pointed out the dangers of taking a risk with game management by not getting our recruitment priorities right.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

McGuire's fitness was the gamble. Had we signed a journeyman Aussie to play alongside McGuire and McGuire was fit we'd be hearing no end about why Sutcliffe and/or Lilley ought to be given more of a go.

Sinfield's move to RU was a year earlier than planned. GH took a punt that Sutcliffe/McGuire would work as well as it did at times early last year and develop further. It hasn't worked out that way but TBH even with the benefit of hindsight I don't think it was entirely the wrong call.

As it is we've been caught out, but the problems at halfback have been magnified by dire performances elsewhere. If our defence wasn't a complete sieve for example the halfbacks would be under far less pressure to create points. As it is we've averaged 27 points against in every game - last year we only managed to average 31 per game in a Treble winning year with champagne rugby played for parts of the year.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg

Glad someone was keeping up the good fight against the enemy/s within while I was on my apparent year long 'sulk'. Fancy knowing what an historic year Leeds were about to have and keeping it to myself.

Hope somebody fulfilled my other duties on here by welcoming your (Juan not Brisbane) conversion on the need for a traditional hooker and how Burrow was now best utilised after avoiding the opening exchanges - had I been actively contributing on here that stubborn mule may have prevented such an obvious move.

Some good stuff there and you'll be happy to hear some I would have happily argued against - had I not been sulking obviously.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Burrow's role going forward has to be one of the main issues for review. If he stays then we have to accept and work round his limitations in defence, whether he starts or comes off the bench.

RankPostsTeam
International Star990No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Thinking about it, I have to say the criticism of both our young halves is very harsh. If we think about it, most games this year we have scored enough points to win the game. Sure they could have forced repeat sets etc but unfortunately game management is the one skill in a half it takes longest to learn.

Our problems this year have been defensive, I can count 5 games this year where we would have won if our defence had turned up.

That is more likely to be fixed by a new hooker than a new half.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg

Let's not forget that halves still need to tackle when called upon to do so. It may not be their primary role but it's not something they can escape or be protected from entirely.

I imagine if Leeds stick with Lilley and Sutcliffe in two or three years time they'll be the new cornerstones. Sinfield once used the bamboo analogy and it's one that works well here. Will Leeds be prepared to wait though - they haven't always been with others and will need a compliant supporter base prepared to continue to shell out while finding their way.

Of course they could just ditch the coach and everything will be hunky dory in the morning.

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

Quote: Barrie's Glass Eye "Thinking about it, I have to say the criticism of both our young halves is very harsh. If we think about it, most games this year we have scored enough points to win the game. Sure they could have forced repeat sets etc but unfortunately game management is the one skill in a half it takes longest to learn.

Our problems this year have been defensive, I can count 5 games this year where we would have won if our defence had turned up.

That is more likely to be fixed by a new hooker than a new half.'"

We've scored fewer points than anyone else. Our poor attack is one of the main reasons our defence is under so much pressure. Good defence can be a form of attack, we are mostly on the back foot when defending, and you are right, a real hooker would perhaps plug some of the holed up the middle.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Warrington and Wakey at home, Salford and Cas away. All games we didn't concede a bad enough total that we couldn't have bettered, but we didn't. I think their was a stat after the Salford loss that we'd have 9 tryless halfs so far this season. I suppose in recent weeks whilst the attack still has plenty of room for improvement we've stopped having those 40/50 mins periods without a try.

164 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
164 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.025390625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Leigh it is
Cokey
24m
Grand final Tickets
NickyKiss
58m
Season tickets
Ilkley Fax
Recent
TV Games - Not Hull
bishops fing
Recent
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
micktheleyth
Recent
Wigan win academy final
Simba16
Recent
Film game
Boss Hog
Recent
Tonights match v HKR
RobRiches
Recent
Betting 2024
karetaker
Recent
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
leedsbarmyar
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Play-off semi-final
Prince Buste
2m
Season tickets
Ilkley Fax
3m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Emagdnim13
3m
Leigh it is
Cokey
4m
Sam Burgess
morleys_deck
4m
Decision on the field
MR FRISK
4m
Tonights match v HKR
RobRiches
5m
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
5m
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
RLFANS News
5m
TV games not Wire
Cherry_Warri
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Grand final Tickets
NickyKiss
TODAY
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
RLFANS News
TODAY
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Questions for Ste Mills
PopTart
TODAY
Decision on the field
MR FRISK
TODAY
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
morleys_deck
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Tony Fax
TODAY
Sam Burgess
morleys_deck
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
RobRiches
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
TODAY
Championship Awards
FIL
TODAY
Season tickets
Ilkley Fax
TODAY
Best Semi
sir adrian m
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
micktheleyth
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Squad for HKR
MorePlaymake
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Gran..
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 3,433 80,13214,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sat 12th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R30
18:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sat 12th Oct
SL
18:00
Hull KR-Wigan
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 5th Oct
CH 29 York27-10Widnes
SL 29 Wigan38-0Leigh
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 28 759 336 423 46
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 29 580 442 138 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 28 682 479 203 32
Widnes 27 561 502 59 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22