JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

And black is once again white. I'll leave it there. Life's too short to try and sustain any kind of discussion with some people.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

Quote: Andy Gilder "And black is once again white. I'll leave it there. Life's too short to try and sustain any kind of discussion with some people.'"

You made a critical comment of Lilley that I challenged. I have provided the evidence which shows your critical opinion of Lilley to be harsh or even wrong on this occasion. Sorry you only prefer to sustain discussions with those that agree with you. I will leave it for others to check out the video.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman491No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

With all this talk of the speed of half backs, does anybody actually have any timings of the current crop over a distance compared to the likes of Burrow and Mcguire ten years ago? A significant difference may be that the relative speed of other players has increased more than the backs. Most people acknowledge the pace of the game has increased across the park so to keep the same speed difference between backs and forwards would not be possible.

When Mcguire and Burrow first made their appearances, they were still playing against other players who will have started their careers who started as semi-pros with other occupations and even much more recently (and still probably going on) we have seen full time players become full time profesionals. I would be supprised if there were more than a handful of players now who havent come up through the ranks who have had to take on other jobs to make ends meet.

Over the years backs have got relatively slower or others have got relatively faster and the game has once again reached a point where all half-backs can no longer rely on speed as much as they have previously been able to do and over the next five years we will see another shift in the way the game is played.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach5526
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

1 Warrington 2 Hull 3 Wigan 4 Castleford 4 Castleford 5 St Helens 6 Leeds 7 Catalans 8 Hudedersfield 9 Widnes 10 Wakefield 11 Salford 12 Leigh Playoffs:Warrington Hull Wigan Castleford Four sides rejoining: Widnes Wakefield Salford Leigh GF Winners Warrington CC Winners Wigan:

I accept that pace is not the only attribute but it helps make up for other shortcomings eg for Burrow. At the age of 16 Sinfield clearly had so many other qualities that in the English game more than made up for any lack of pace. I've yet to see Lilley exhibit those same qualities. But he could develop those in time.
I hope he does.
Sinfield also had the size to stand up to bigger players something that Lilley given his stature can't possess.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17138No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

Quote: Juan Cornetto "
Having watched other players at the touchscreen including Thurston the other week, it is fair comment to say that Sutcliffe came over well below the standard set by the others. '"

Sutcliffe is only 21. Most HBs are illegible until their mid-20s. Thurston could only grunt at that age. Give the kid some time, I can't believe the criticism of his diction on here from keyboard warriors. He'll sound like Stephen Fry after a couple of seasons. If you know what I mean.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

Quote: tigertot "Sutcliffe is only 21. Most HBs are illegible until their mid-20s. Thurston could only grunt at that age. Give the kid some time, I can't believe the criticism of his diction on here from keyboard warriors. He'll sound like Stephen Fry after a couple of seasons. If you know what I mean.'"

I was not being critical of his written word or his diction. When the likes of teenagers like Lilley and Golding have been interviewed on TV they have come over as alert, quick and bright. I did not see this from Sutty at the touchscreen as Jon Wells had to work hard to get anything from him.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain335No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20159 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Juan Cornetto "I was not being critical of his written word or his diction. When the likes of teenagers like Lilley and Golding have been interviewed on TV they have come over as alert, quick and bright. I did not see this from Sutty at the touchscreen as Jon Wells had to work hard to get anything from him.'"

FFS! Really? You're critical of how a young rugby league player comes across on TV?

On a different topic, I was particularly upset at how Handley's shorts didn't seem to fit him snugly enough.

Also, why oh why don't our players wear those super pink boots?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4938
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2018Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18261_1413138907.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18261.jpg

Quote: Biff Tannen "I agree, he had his moments but not enough to regard him a success on the International stage unfortunately.'"

Sinfield had one good game against the Aussies at hooker in 2001. I think the Aussies had just got off the plane after cancelling the tour a few weeks prior? Mike Forshaw was scrum half IIRC... says it all really.

Quote: Biff Tannen "He was playing during an era of pretty poor England/GB sides though (2007-2012 we were particularly bad as a group imo), who were up against at times fantastic Aussie teams with the Queensland spine in their pomp, just something i think should be taken into consideration.Put Sinfield in that Aussie team i have no doubt he would have shone but he just didn't have the players around him, and Sinfield's game isn't built around virtuoso individualism. I also thought he was pretty good during his swansong the 2013 WC (last play aside) when we had a capable team who could get on the front foot which highlights what he may have been able to produce in years past had he had the personnel around him. All, if's buts and maybe's i know but things that need to be considered imo.'"

Sinfield has never been international class. You know that deep down even if it is difficult to acknowledge because in doing so, it is seen as disrespectful to a Rhinos legend playing at the level of Super League.

We've had poor international sides for as long as I can recall but at least some of our players have made an international impact... Schofield, Hanley, Graham, Burgess, Sculthorpe, Fielden (until he was chinned by Mason), etc.

Presenting the bloke with a Golden Boot for skippering England to a series win against Wales and France was embarrassing at worst and a joke at best. Some proprietor of League and Union magazines wished to flog a few thousand more of his stock.

When that critical moment arrived with just a few minutes to go in a World Cup semi final at Wembley, Sinfield as skipper, organiser and tactical kicker bottled it. He couldn't handle the pressure. And I'm not talking about gifting Shaun Johnson an opportunity for a skip and a jink to the try line either. It's was Sinfield's brainfart prior to that which created the conditions and circumstances for the defeat.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member22289
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg
:4615.jpg

Having watched other players at the touchscreen including Thurston the other week, it is fair comment to say that Sutcliffe came over well below the standard set by the others. '"

The two that offered a real insight were Trent Robinson and Grant Millington. The detail from both was eye-opening.

It would be great to see the Leeds coach in that situation.

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68072.jpg

Quote: William Eve "Sinfield had one good game against the Aussies at hooker in 2001. I think the Aussies had just got off the plane after cancelling the tour a few weeks prior? Mike Forshaw was scrum half IIRC... says it all really.

Sinfield has never been international class. You know that deep down even if it is difficult to acknowledge because in doing so, it is seen as disrespectful to a Rhinos legend playing at the level of Super League.

We've had poor international sides for as long as I can recall but at least some of our players have made an international impact... Schofield, Hanley, Graham, Burgess, Sculthorpe, Fielden (until he was chinned by Mason), etc.

Presenting the bloke with a Golden Boot for skippering England to a series win against Wales and France was embarrassing at worst and a joke at best. Some proprietor of League and Union magazines wished to flog a few thousand more of his stock.

When that critical moment arrived with just a few minutes to go in a World Cup semi final at Wembley, Sinfield as skipper, organiser and tactical kicker bottled it. He couldn't handle the pressure. And I'm not talking about gifting Shaun Johnson an opportunity for a skip and a jink to the try line either. It's was Sinfield's brainfart prior to that which created the conditions and circumstances for the defeat.'"

I feel i can talk without my Blue and amber glasses on, and most of what you have written i actually agree with believe it or not. I did say at the start on the whole his international career was a let down.However, He was MOM in a game vs a NZ side who were World Champions at the time in a tri nations a few years back and held his own in several other games if not excelling . How many times too has he been the scape goat when the England side has been battered off the park up front by the Aussie pack and ripped to threads on the fringes, in teams constantly on the back foot? if England would have have had a Lockyer or Thurston in those sides instead of Sinfield would the scoreline have been so much different? i dont think so personally. The sides Schofield and Hanley played in between 88-95 were the best squads GB have had since the early 70s when we could actually beat the Aussies in series and WC's so i don't agree they played in poor teams and they are the only real play makers you would say have made a real mark in the past 40 years , i would maybe at a push stick Andy Gregory in there but that is it.

The Golden Boot, well all i will say is i think he deserved it as much as Farell did in 2004, make of that what you will.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg

Now this may have been due to nerves or not as the case maybe but his comment shows the option he would have taken which has been rather like his play to date just moving the ball on with little variety. So my comment is valid.
'"

What an odd comment to make re Sutcliffe's play. It was only last week in Perpignan where two short attacking kicks in to the in-goal led to two Leeds tries. The second a virtual carbon copy of the one Lilley put in V Huddersfield.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg

Quote: tvoc "What an odd comment to make re Sutcliffe's play. It was only last week in Perpignan where two short attacking kicks in to the in-goal led to two Leeds tries. The second a virtual carbon copy of the one Lilley put in V Huddersfield.'"

It was Sutcliffe who said he would have passed!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg

Quote: tvoc "The two that offered a real insight were Trent Robinson and Grant Millington. The detail from both was eye-opening.

It would be great to see the Leeds coach in that situation.'"

Yes it showed just how much thought and detail goes into a top coaches game plan. Pity the players cannot always stick to it. Even the Cowboys the other week had a coach cum water boy on the field for a lot of time passing on instructions.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg

Can't recall what Sutcliffe said precisely at the screen but your comment above was that Sutcliffe is just moving the ball along with little variation - and that seems an odd observation to make when in the previous game he showed some variety when he created the opportunity for two Leeds tries through little kicks into the in-goal just as Lilley did for one on Friday.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: leedsnsouths "Thurstons breakout year was when he was 23, so was Cronks, lets see what Lilly's skill set is then, or is he already written off in your eyes?

Regaurding Sinfield, its a bit stupid to say you cant rate him as an all time great because he didnt play in the NRL, was Stacey Jones not a great because he never played origin?
Like I said previously, there is noone who has had a particualry good international career for England as the team was poorly coached and players were pushed in and out and into different positions
the fact he has caps at 6, 7, 9. 12, and 13 shows that
Yet, he still managed to captain his country, get a decent amount of caps, and become England highest EVER points scorer so it wasnt too shabby eh?'"

Lilley has some talent - he lacks pace as did Sinfield - does he have the core skill set to combat that - in SL possibly.

Thurston played origin when he was 23 he had already played 50 NRL games by that point.

Stacey Jones made his name in the NRL - how can you say someone is an all time great when they are playing a lesser quality competition. Winning lots of caps in a sub standard side doesn't make you a great player neither does being the captain of a poor side. Peter Lorimer won loads of caps for Scotland did that make him a great player?

Sinfield has been a great SL player but to suggest his is in the class of Lockyer, Johns, Smith etc is unrealistic.

162 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
162 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.36669921875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Todays match v Saints
Wires71
4m
Leeds Rhinos - Away
Dave K.
7m