Jun 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
70807_1599340376.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_70807.jpg

Quote: ThePrinter "Part one of this new system has been accomplished.....a Chsmpionship won promotion.....the next step, how will they do in SL? Would actually like them to put up a good showing and either make the top 8 or on the edge of making it.'"

We will only be as good as our signings, as are any Club I suppose.

To that end we have approx 5 departing for Toronto, 1 to Widnes & Fui is allegedly undecided & may go to France (speculation).

Noises coming from Leigh are that we have at least 4 signed & a few more were ready to sign dependant on a Super League place, rumour of at least 1 current NRL player + Ryan Atkins, *hope the one about Kevin Penny is nonsense*.

I believe we have the nucleus of a good SL squad, some quality to add obviously & if we are lucky on the injury front then could possibly cement our place for a few years.

FWIW I think Leeds will bounce back next season & finish top 6/7.

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68072.jpg

Quote: Ste100Centurions "
FWIW I think Leeds will bounce back next season & finish top 6/7.'"

Not sure if this is a tongue in cheek comment but if you are being serious there is no way Leeds fans or surely GH would accept this as bouncing back. We ended up 9th in what was a near all time abysmal showing this year. Top 4 as a bare minimum next season or heads should roll.

Just to add, i think Leigh will do well next season and wouldn't rule out avoiding the middle 8's.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11989
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020Mar 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Biff Tannen "Not sure if this is a tongue in cheek comment but if you are being serious there is no way Leeds fans or surely GH would accept this as bouncing back. We ended up 9th in what was a near all time abysmal showing this year. Top 4 as a bare minimum next season or heads should roll.'"

I know that you haven't adequately replaced Sinfield and Peacock, and others are getting old together. Nevertheless, you have had a pretty spectacular injury list, that doesn't seem to have abated much - apart from late in the regular season, and has now re-emerged. Like with any club, having fewer injuries will help towards a much better season - that, plus some judicious signings!

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg

Quote: Alan "I know that you haven't adequately replaced Sinfield and Peacock, and others are getting old together. Nevertheless, you have had a pretty spectacular injury list, that doesn't seem to have abated much - apart from late in the regular season, and has now re-emerged. Like with any club, having fewer injuries will help towards a much better season - that, plus some judicious signings!'"

In all honesty, it's impossible to replace players like Sinfield and Peacock who were the cornerstone of the success we had for over a decade. Yes, the injuries haven't helped but some of the displays throughout the year were still abysmal and spineless at times and McDermott does seem devoid of ideas to change things when they aren't going our way. He has been head coach now for half a decade and has run his course with this set of players imo.Of course he will get another shot next year because he has had the success he has, but another year with indications of being anything like this one and the trigger needs to be pulled asap.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain338
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20169 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2017Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
74701_1487935178.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_74701.jpg

Quote: batleyrhino "The comment about going in the away end at Saints, it was me that spoke to Brian. We'd lost with a shower of 3 performance, and I asked him what had gone wrong. He couldn't answer my questions but at least was honest enough to tell me so. That's one of the reasons why I respect him, but don't think he's the right coach for us.'"

I think he was the perfect coach for us when he came in. He breathed new life into an ageing squad and introduced some talented youngsters into it. Right now though we need someone who can introduce a bit of organisation and direction into a young team and make the hard choices, something I don't think McDermott can do.

Quote: batleyrhino "Something that should have happened against Batley, instead of having it forced on us through injuries incurred by flogged players. He doesn't develop youngsters, he uses players and nothing more.'"

It should have happened during the regular season instead of playing half fit players and those seriously out of form. I'm not sure you can say he doesn't develop youngsters as we have seen a few quality players make their debut under him and he showed a lot of faith in Watkins and BJB when he started. However he does seem reluctant to play young forwards and a bizarre tendency to leave players on the bench when it is a close game.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: WF Rhino "
It should have happened during the regular season instead of playing half fit players and those seriously out of form. I'm not sure you can say he doesn't develop youngsters as we have seen a few quality players make their debut under him and he showed a lot of faith in Watkins and BJB when he started. However he does seem reluctant to play young forwards and a bizarre tendency to leave players on the bench when it is a close game.'"

No he hasn't at all. He has thrown people in when he has to, he hasn't developed them at all, he doesn't even speak with the academy lads. Watkins was a regular before he even came here. BJB was playing regularly on loan before he became regular here, and that was down to injuries to others. Wardy is the player he introduced and worked with, and couldn't even get that right, yet at any other club Wardy would have been a regular as he was a star talent. Sutcliffe was pushed on him because he had to do something, and the fact he can't coach creativity has shown Sutcliffe up for the standard of player he is. Handley was the only option after again injuries took hold and he was forced to play him, before that putting a centre come secondrower in that role until he was caught out.

There is a dvifference between developing players for long term future and just playing someone, when you have no options, or in his case no idea. Wane for all his faults, and there is many, develops youngsters, a big difference.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: Gotcha "No he hasn't at all. He has thrown people in when he has to, he hasn't developed them at all, he doesn't even speak with the academy lads. Watkins was a regular before he even came here. BJB was playing regularly on loan before he became regular here, and that was down to injuries to others. Wardy is the player he introduced and worked with, and couldn't even get that right, yet at any other club Wardy would have been a regular as he was a star talent. Sutcliffe was pushed on him because he had to do something, and the fact he can't coach creativity has shown Sutcliffe up for the standard of player he is. Handley was the only option after again injuries took hold and he was forced to play him, before that putting a centre come secondrower in that role until he was caught out.

There is a dvifference between developing players for long term future and just playing someone, when you have no options, or in his case no idea. Wane for all his faults, and there is many, develops youngsters, a big difference.'"

Watkins wasn't a regular at all. 21 league games in the previous three years and half of those were from the bench or wing and was behind Senior, Smith and Delaney in the centres.

BJB was playing regularly on loan, at Quins under McDermott of all people and he picked him ahead of the most experienced Smith.

Ward was on the brink of an England call up last year, so hardly done bad with him.

Sutcliffe is a work in progress, has had a serious injury and is now switching positions because ajar faker couldn't grow up.

Add Singleton into the mix as well who people complained McDermott wouldn't pick, now has reached 100 games vs Leeds.

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg

I reckon McD has done a decent job bringing through the Kids in all fairness. Also, who has left us and gone on to better things or make the grade elsewhere who you would want back?

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg

Quote: ThePrinter "Watkins wasn't a regular at all. 21 league games in the previous three years and half of those were from the bench or wing and was behind Senior, Smith and Delaney in the centres.'"

So it wasn't McDermott that brought him through. Exactly as I said then. And you missed his serious injury that ruled him out for a long spell. Three years development before the idiot got with him, then not kicked on since. Always was a great player.

Quote: ThePrinter "BJB was playing regularly on loan, at Quins under McDermott of all people and he picked him ahead of the most experienced Smith.'"

Again, no need to repeat what I already said.

Quote: ThePrinter "Ward was on the brink of an England call up last year, so hardly done bad with him.'"

A position he would have been in at any club and any coach. He was destined for that from the start, again as I said.

Quote: ThePrinter "Sutcliffe is a work in progress, has had a serious injury and is now switching positions because ajar faker couldn't grow up.'"

Sutcliffe has been playing enough games now to justify a postion and his first choice status. He is in because of limited options. Not moved on from his academy days. Again, what I said, no development. Just throwing someone in is not developing them.

Quote: ThePrinter "Add Singleton into the mix as well who people complained McDermott wouldn't pick, now has reached 100 games vs Leeds.'"

Why throw him in the mix, he held him back for no reason, then was forced to go with him. Should hae been earlier, and the lad would be further on in his development.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9730No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
39092.jpg
Ryan Bailey (11/11/83) - The Most Feared Man In Super League The Most Feared Man In Super League (TMFMISL) * Coined by thebloodbath * Inspired by Bailey *:39092.jpg

Quote: Biff Tannen "I reckon McD has done a decent job bringing through the Kids in all fairness. Also, who has left us and gone on to better things or make the grade elsewhere who you would want back?'"

I know, look at Walters.....

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg

Quote: thebloodbath "I know, look at Walters.....'"

He will always be a leg-end for us though for that one act of putting the ball down last year at the end of the GF, i will always wish him well icon_smile.gif

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: Gotcha "So it wasn't McDermott that brought him through. Exactly as I said then. And you missed his serious injury that ruled him out for a long spell. Three years development before the idiot got with him, then not kicked on since. Always was a great player. '"

To say Watkins hasn't kicked on since 2011 is just crazy. Unfortunately you seem unable to get over your personal dislike of McDermott.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg

Quote: Him "To say Watkins hasn't kicked on since 2011 is just crazy. Unfortunately you seem unable to get over your personal dislike of McDermott.'"

Watkins was a quality player of the highest order back then. He would have been even better today under a different coach, maybe in the NRL or something. But he is not much different today than he was back then.

I have a massive dislike of McDermott, purely based on the results and performance of his job, and how I know he handles himself around people and players.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: Gotcha "Watkins was a quality player of the highest order back then. He would have been even better today under a different coach, maybe in the NRL or something. But he is not much different today than he was back then.

I have a massive dislike of McDermott, purely based on the results and performance of his job, and how I know he handles himself around people and players.'"

Last season he was easily the best centre in the league. He wasn't that in 2011. Again, to say he hasn't kicked on is simply daft.

As for McDermott, your dislike of him has got nothing to do with results or performance whatsoever and you know it. For whatever reason you don't like him personally and you've never been willing to alter your opinion of him ever since he became head coach.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg

Quote: Him "As for McDermott, your dislike of him has got nothing to do with results or performance whatsoever and you know it. For whatever reason you don't like him personally and you've never been willing to alter your opinion of him ever since he became head coach.'"

Well considering for his first 18 months I was one of his biggest defenders on here, I would say you have just made that up. Having met the guy only once when he offered me the opportunity to speak with him at end of season 2014, I actually also defended him leading up to last season based on him convincing me he had learnt from his previous years mstakes. Now I rate him on performance and how he handles himself, and regardless of what else you think it is, he is very poor.

393 posts in 27 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
393 posts in 27 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.9208984375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
bulls on Sunday
Bully_Boxer
7m
Squad for London
MorePlaymake
7m