Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg
:4615.jpg

How long did it take Golding to not fancy the high ball on Friday? Watch the opening set of six, I timed it at around 50 seconds.

No doubt the apologists will correct me with a 'it wasn't Golding that didn't fancy the ball it was the ball that didn't fancy him' or 'it was blown off course by the el nino'

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Ok so let's broaden this debate out a bit maybe desire is the wrong word perhaps will/determination would be a better way of putting it.

Examples of that would be some of Hardaker's last ditch tackles last season, Peacock's will to get fit for a Wigan CC game at Headingley, Sinfield kicking the goal in 2003 CC semi and perhaps most pertinent of all was Sinfield's tackle on Lomas in the GF that saved the game. These are not examples of great skill these are just examples of players going the extra mile to make things happen. Do you think Golding showed that level of commitment against Huddersfield?

As for the comment some days you can catch and some days you can't - these are elite athletes.

If we accept most players that get signed by top pro clubs have outstanding ability for their age group what determines those who make and those who don't. JJB is not the most gifted rugby player - so why has he had such a successful career whilst others with more ability have fallen by the way side - I would suggest it is desire/will to succeed.

RankPostsTeam
International Star990No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2017Sep 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

While I agree with most of what you've said in that post Sal, especially regarding desire separating the great from the good etc, I think this is something that is measured over the course of a career and not questioned over a few rookie mistakes.

At the end of the day I would have been more worried if Golding had have stopped trying to catch those kicks. I think he showed a desire to make up for his mistake, unfortunately this can often lead to further errors, your own example JJB often can be accused of showing too much desire to make up for mistakes, shooting out of the line and causing other problems.

I think when you start making those sorts of mistakes you need mental strength to get over them, and I think this is a better way of thinking about it than the term desire which you have used. All the best players make mistakes, it is whether they are strong enough to overcome them.

For me desire is something different, and if you are questioning Goldings desire, then you are putting him in the same category as Achurch which imo is unfair.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "Ok so let's broaden this debate out a bit maybe desire is the wrong word perhaps will/determination would be a better way of putting it.

Examples of that would be some of Hardaker's last ditch tackles last season, Peacock's will to get fit for a Wigan CC game at Headingley, Sinfield kicking the goal in 2003 CC semi and perhaps most pertinent of all was Sinfield's tackle on Lomas in the GF that saved the game. These are not examples of great skill these are just examples of players going the extra mile to make things happen. Do you think Golding showed that level of commitment against Huddersfield?

As for the comment some days you can catch and some days you can't - these are elite athletes.

If we accept most players that get signed by top pro clubs have outstanding ability for their age group what determines those who make and those who don't. JJB is not the most gifted rugby player - so why has he had such a successful career whilst others with more ability have fallen by the way side - I would suggest it is desire/will to succeed.'"

To answer your question did Golding show "that level of commitment against Huddersfield" my answer is yes he did. You are comparing a young player with very little senior experience with internationals JP, Sinfield and Hardaker at their very best yet Golding after a terrible confidence sapping start overcame this and showed his desire/will/determination and commitment with an tremendous take just before half time and again with a one on one try saving tackle and at no stage kept out of the game or shirked involvement.

Brough is the best in the business at the high bomb which in certain circumstances are very hard to judge because of great height, spin and stadium conditions. A young player like Golding would never have experienced this before and will be a better player for having done so. It is generally understood that you learn most from the experience of getting things wrong and it is precisely why the players that you name became so good and youngsters have to be allowed to make mistakes as they gain their own experience. I presume when you started out in work you never made a mistake and from what you say about your schoolboy fullback experience you never dropped a high bomb because you were too slow to get there despite heaps of desire icon_wink.gif

There are certainly one or two senior players that you could fairly accuse of having shown a lack of desire this season but IMO this is the last thing you can level at any of the youngsters.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

I am not having a dig at Goulding at all, so put that on the table, but I think this rubbish about Brough and kicking and the stadium being an excuse for his errors is really poor. Had he never played fullback before, then hell yeah, can understand it a bit. But he has been playing the position for years, and the simple fact is he dropped his @r5e and made the mistakes. There is no excuses, you learn from it and get on with it. I don't think it was down to desire, which I do think is a problem for the team, I think it was a lack of confidence based on how poor the team as a whole are currently.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1385No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"Leeds is the greatest club in Rugby League" Alex Murphy 2011:

Quote: Juan Cornetto "

Could you be more specific? Is it just Achurch or Achurch and someone else ?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: Sal Paradise "Ok so let's broaden this debate out a bit maybe desire is the wrong word perhaps will/determination would be a better way of putting it.

If we accept most players that get signed by top pro clubs have outstanding ability for their age group what determines those who make and those who don't. JJB is not the most gifted rugby player - so why has he had such a successful career whilst others with more ability have fallen by the way side - I would suggest it is desire/will to succeed.'"

Will and determination are rarely the difference on game day. Will and determination are what gets you to game day in the position to do the things necessary to win.

JJB isnt the most gifted player but his success and will to win isnt about what he does on in a match, its the things he does day in day out in training to get himself in to a place where he can do the things he needs to do on game day.

Its exactly the same with Sinfield and Peacock. Sinfield doesnt make that kick and another misses it, because Sinfield wants it more at that moment. Its because Sinfield wanted it more 2hrs after training when he was still out there practising.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif
:fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif

I'd hope a player like Golding would do the same following dropped high kicks - spend extra time in training getting someone to kick bombs to him.

In the end after that sort of game its up to the individual to respond. Nathan Graham never recovered from being bombed at Wembley. Had he had more resilience and practiced his butt off there's physically no reason why he couldn't have overcome much of his issue with bombs. For whatever reason it pretty much ended his career. OTOH I have huge respect for Dixon at KR who had en even worse performance (he wasn't alone but as full back its more obvious) and yet seemed determined to get over it.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "Will and determination are rarely the difference on game day. Will and determination are what gets you to game day in the position to do the things necessary to win.

JJB isnt the most gifted player but his success and will to win isnt about what he does on in a match, its the things he does day in day out in training to get himself in to a place where he can do the things he needs to do on game day.

Its exactly the same with Sinfield and Peacock. Sinfield doesnt make that kick and another misses it, because Sinfield wants it more at that moment. Its because Sinfield wanted it more 2hrs after training when he was still out there practising.'"

I agree with much of this but you have to be able to pull it out of the bag when it matters. McGuire is another player who is capable of raising his game when it matters - that isn't about training, he does it too often and 2003 he was teenager in his first year as pro, that's a mental attitude about personal standards/belief/desire to impact the game and a genuine not wanting to let your team mates down something JJB talks about a lot.

Golding will have fielded hundreds of bombs in training so he will have the technical ability just not that will/determination to perform that task when it mattered. Nathan Graham is one, Ben Crookes is another hopefully Golding is made of stronger stuff

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68072.jpg

The Golding drops didn't cost us the game on Friday. Infact, we were well in the game long after his mistakes which were in the first period so it shouldn't be getting compared with howlers that have cost big games and cup finals and ruined careers. He is still very young and raw and will never have experienced what he did on Friday, but the true test will be from now and how he responds. He could turn it into a positive, by going away and improving that side of his game and next time he is in that position (could be as early as tonight) deal with it better. Like i have said previously, Handley seems to have done just that and the players that have a serious future in the game usually find a way, hopefully Golding will.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member22289
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg
:4615.jpg

Quote: Biff Tannen "The Golding drops didn't cost us the game on Friday. Infact, we were well in the game long after his mistakes which were in the first period ..... '"

Fact checker - Golding definitely dropped the first bomb of the second half. Got away with that one as Huddersfield lobbed a miss out pass wide which Watkins deflected into touch - or no doubt as some would tell you, Watkins missed a simple intercept and guaranteed four/six pointer.

RankPostsTeam
International Star6848No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68072_1442575000.jpg
What you looking at?....Butt Head!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68072.jpg

Quote: tvoc "Fact checker - Golding definitely dropped the first bomb of the second half. Got away with that one as Huddersfield lobbed a miss out pass wide which Watkins deflected into touch - or no doubt as some would tell you, Watkins missed a simple intercept and guaranteed four/six pointer.'"

Thanks, had forgotten that one.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

Quote: tvoc "Fact checker - Golding definitely dropped the first bomb of the second half. Got away with that one as Huddersfield lobbed a miss out pass wide which Watkins deflected into touch - or no doubt as some would tell you, Watkins missed a simple intercept and guaranteed four/six pointer.'"

The one that went straight between his hands just over his head? Yeah, add me to the "missed a simple intercept" column on that one.

Mind you, he couldn't catch passes from his own side on Friday so there wasn't much danger of him catching one from the opposition.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: Andy Gilder "The one that went straight between his hands just over his head? Yeah, add me to the "missed a simple intercept" column on that one..'"

Spot on, he messed that up big time. Didn't go to deflect it at all, went for the simple catch and failed.

What I will change my mind on though is that he'd have gotten downfield if he caught it. He jumps for it and pretty much lands into Ormsby arms on landing so would've been tackled straight away..:::but at least we'd have had the ball back and not once again defending our line.

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

I've seen loads of those dropped. Depends very much on when you realize there is a chance you may be able to catch the ball. There is a reason you spend years telling kids when they start playing rugby to have their hands out, thumbs forward and eyes on the ball when receiving a pass. It's very harsh to criticize a defender for not making an intercept. He got hands on and defended the play, it he'd jumped out of the line, missed it and conceded a try then fair enough.

164 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
164 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.96875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Tonights match v HKR
Or thane
Recent
Leigh it is
moto748
Recent
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
Recent
Grand final Tickets
NickyKiss
Recent
Season tickets
Ilkley Fax
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
2m
Sam Burgess
morleys_deck
2m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
leedsbarmyar
2m
Leigh it is
moto748
2m
Season tickets
Ilkley Fax
2m
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
morleys_deck
3m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
5m
TV games not Wire
Cherry_Warri
5m
Proposed rule changes 2025
MjM
6m
Rumours thread
PopTart
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Grand final Tickets
NickyKiss
TODAY
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
RLFANS News
TODAY
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Questions for Ste Mills
PopTart
TODAY
Decision on the field
MR FRISK
TODAY
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
morleys_deck
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Tony Fax
TODAY
Sam Burgess
morleys_deck
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
Or thane
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
Victor
TODAY
Championship Awards
FIL
TODAY
Season tickets
Ilkley Fax
TODAY
Best Semi
sir adrian m
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Squad for HKR
MorePlaymake
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Gran..
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 2,622 80,13214,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sat 12th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R30
18:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sat 12th Oct
SL
18:00
Hull KR-Wigan
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 5th Oct
CH 29 York27-10Widnes
SL 29 Wigan38-0Leigh
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 28 759 336 423 46
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 29 580 442 138 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 28 682 479 203 32
Widnes 27 561 502 59 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22