Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Quote: tvoc "It sounds straight forward enough for me to follow.'"
So simple that you admit you don’t actually know if it was correct or not?

Quote: tvoc "Is this the winger on the opposite side of the field point? If the rule requires the offside player to remain 10 metres away from the ball/defender closest to the ball in a position to take possession and the attacker isn't - then his relative position to every other defender is a redundant point.'"
But you don’t know that is the rule, and neither do I. Nor do you know WHEN he needs to be in that position.

Quote: tvoc "I like the rule as it is. It rewards a disciplined chase but punishes poor execution. Jones-Buchanan (and possibly McGuire) were offside at the kick - they could have stayed outside the 10 metre zone between them and the ball or been played onside by the kicker and then the good kick/chase play of Hall would have been rewarded - but they didn't. So why should they benefit?'"
Why should who benefit? Why should a dummy runner benefit from one of his team mates kicking the ball and one of his onside team-mates regains possession and puts the ball over the try-line?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12310
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28396_1358365565.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28396.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "

The game was a great game, it really was, and I would never say a referee was responsible for a result. I think it was a pretty fair result. But it was a good game in spite of Bentham, not because of him and we should and can expect a higher standard than what he delivered last night.'"

Think that's a fair way to sum it up.

Most entertaining game I've seen this year. A few referees would have spoiled it, don't think he was brilliant but I think it wouldn't have been the contest it was with a child/Roby/hicks

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman35189No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1246_1686693825.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1246.jpeg

Anyone watching Ganson at moment? blimey....

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member22289
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg
:4615.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "So simple that you admit you don’t actually know if it was correct or not?'"

I can follow the end decision where the try was disallowed because Jones-Buchanan was offside at the kick and remained within the ten metre zone that he, as an offside chaser, is required to stay outside of.

I don't need to know anymore than that to be able to accept the decision and move on.

Quote: SmokeyTA "But you don’t know that is the rule, and neither do I. Nor do you know WHEN he needs to be in that position.'"

Again I don't need to know anymore than I do already. I only need to accept the the video referee knows and that according to referee Bentham the try was ruled out for Jones-Buchanan being offside at the kick and within the ten metre zone at the relevant point. That much I understand - do I need to know anymore than that?

Quote: SmokeyTA "Why should who benefit? Why should a dummy runner benefit from one of his team mates kicking the ball and one of his onside team-mates regains possession and puts the ball over the try-line?'"

Are you suggesting Jones-Buchanan wouldn't have benefitted had the try been allowed to stand despite him being clearly offside at the kick?

Why reward poor execution of a kick chase with a try? What's wrong with the interpretation of the rule as it stands?

Jones-Buchanan (if he knew he was ahead of the kicker) had two choices at that play last night - he could either stay more than ten metres from the ball/defender who was in a position to collect the ball, in which case the Hall try would have stood or he could ignore the fact he was in front of the kicker and barrell forward regardless - resulting as it did in an infringement.

A St Helens kick chase in the 13th minute of the game this lunchtime at Wigan fell foul to the same basic rule interpretation. I'd rather not reward a poor kick chase than have to subjectively determine what effect, if any, an offside player is having within the ten.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9058
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23603.jpg

Quote: Bullseye "At the end of the day it wasn't him that lost a league point for Leeds.'"

Quite so. I wouldn't blame any Leeds player; Bradford earned their point.

RankPostsTeam
International Star5813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons3ae4_files/4541-162reymo-msnicons.jpg
If your not cheating, your not trying. Barrie Mcdermott:icons3ae4_files/4541-162reymo-msnicons.jpg

Quote: MjM "You have to be able to overcome the hardship of referees going against you and today we didn't. Unfortunate.

However I think Bentham's quite notorious recent history with Leeds remains a major problem. Clearly the players haven't forgotten either - Peacock bluntly painted a Bentham shaft line from the events of Wembley 2011 to the present day post game in the R2K bar.'"

Peacock may have painted a "shaft line" however I think the person he is really mad at is himself. He knows that he cost us the win with his indicipline. We would have had a drop goal and we would have also had a better chance of defending our line with 13 players on the park. Peacock messed up and he knows it.

But everyone makes mistakes.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach947
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
38515.jpg
:38515.jpg

Quote: Harrigan "Correct, regardless of whether he had an effect on play, he was offside and only a few metres away from Kearney when he muffed it. The call was right. I was explaining to people around me who looked bemused at the replays before the desision was made.'"

Would or could you have disallowed that try if it had not been on sky and not had the hindsight of video evidence?
On any other given day and in any game that was not televised that try would have been allowed to stand would it not?
This was not the reason Leeds lost but it merely highlights the reason why every game should have video refs

RankPostsTeam
International Star5813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Mar 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons3ae4_files/4541-162reymo-msnicons.jpg
If your not cheating, your not trying. Barrie Mcdermott:icons3ae4_files/4541-162reymo-msnicons.jpg

Quote: The Chin's Back "Would or could you have disallowed that try if it had not been on sky and not had the hindsight of video evidence?
On any other given day and in any game that was not televised that try would have been allowed to stand would it not?
This was not the reason Leeds lost but it merely highlights the reason why every game should have video refs'"

Agree regarding every game should have a video ref IMO.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member22289
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg
:4615.jpg

Quote: The Chin's Back " 1) Would or could you have disallowed that try if it had not been on sky and not had the hindsight of video evidence?
2) On any other given day and in any game that was not televised that try would have been allowed to stand would it not?
3) This was not the reason Leeds lost but it merely highlights the reason why every game should have video refs'"

1) Yes you could and it's entirely possible that yes you would. Bentham went immediately to the technology and pin-pointed the issue which ultimately led to the try being ruled out. Hopefully the video referee in this instances was merely confirming the decision Bentham was minded to make had the technology not been available to the officials.

2) Who knows? Everyone is free to speculate but it's impossible to know the answer one way or another with any degree of certainty. Again in this instance it appeared to me Bentham was only seeking confirmation of the decision he was minded to make, so I trust he would have had he needed to make the call himself.

3) In an ideal world that's correct. My view has always been that outside of the play-off series where every game is televised and has the benefit of the video technology we shouldn't really have the video referee in the regular rounds or even the Challenge Cup before the semi-finals.

Level the playing field for all who enter.

MjM
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman6806No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
86.jpg
Let all the doubters keep doubting and those who believe keep believing. We’re only interested in those in the bubble. Anyone who wants to come in the bubble, you can come in. But you’ve got to keep believing.:86.jpg

Quote: tvoc "Level the playing field for all who enter.'"
But the playing field is perfectly level. It's logic-defying to claim that having the video ref at one game and not others disadvantages anyone.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

I'm struggling with the logic on the tip tackle.

"You're staying on the field because you let him go", was I believe the reasoning Bentham offered. Once you've got the player up there, then just letting go and trusting to luck that he won't fall on his head is grossly irresponsible and dangerous IMO.

If you lift a player beyond the horizontal and don't then control the way he comes back down to ground, it should be a straight red for me.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman35189No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1246_1686693825.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1246.jpeg

Quote: Andy Gilder "I'm struggling with the logic on the tip tackle.

"You're staying on the field because you let him go", was I believe the reasoning Bentham offered. Once you've got the player up there, then just letting go and trusting to luck that he won't fall on his head is grossly irresponsible and dangerous IMO.

If you lift a player beyond the horizontal and don't then control the way he comes back down to ground, it should be a straight red for me.'"

100% Agree

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach351No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

if the kick had been into open space and hall had run from a onside position to collect and score would JJB still have been offside?
i know there could be a arguement that the closeness of JJB could have taken the bradford defenders eyes off the ball but its still not clear but the laws say he has to interfere ' You are offside in Rugby League if you are within the gap maintained between the attacking and defensive sides by the referee or if you interfere with play after being in front of a team mate when they have kicked the ball in open play'

RankPostsTeam
Moderator50026
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Kermit%20the%20Frog.gif
Move on, nothing to read here. Talking rubbish at and over games for nearly 20 years:Black Backgrounds/Kermit%20the%20Frog.gif

Quote: southyorksdave "if the kick had been into open space and hall had run from a onside position to collect and score would JJB still have been offside?'"

If he had gone downtown from an offside position and was still within the ten then yes.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

An offside player should not encroach within 10 metres of an opponent who is waiting for the ball and should immediately retire 10 metres from an opponent who secures the ball. However an offside player is placed onside if an opponent touches the ball without retaining it. In the disallowed Hall try it was not clear in real time if the Bradford player had touched the ball. If he didn't touch the ball JJB did not have to retire the 10 metres. But JJB's presence could have influenced the Bradford player to miss taking the ball in the first place so offside was the fair call.

154 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
154 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

7.03369140625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Hull KR H
MattyB
11m
Todays match v Saints
Fantastic Mr
15m