JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1230.gif
“You are playing a game of football this afternoon but more than that you are playing for England, and more even than that, you are playing for right versus wrong. You will win because you have to win. Don’t forget that message from home. England expects every one of you to do his duty.”:1230.gif

This ongoing policy of letting our better players leave isn't really working.

RankPostsTeam
Fringe Player111No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 20213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2022Apr 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! "With the saving of Gales salary i hope the club can offer some renumeration to the scholarship and academy lads that are being asked to play for free which is shameful by the club.'"

I find it very sad and hard to believe there is so little money in the game that this is happening in 2021.

About 30 odd years ago I knew a lad who got £50 Grand when he signed for Wigan, he was a stand out young player and went onto play test football but was not an all time great.

I knew a few others who got decent signing on fees including some who got £10 grand from Leeds and never made it at top flight level.

If you’d told me back then that 30 plus years later, the best young talent would get nothing more than a tracksuit I’d. Have thought the country must have gone communist.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3615
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Sir Gregory Parsloe "I find it very sad and hard to believe there is so little money in the game that this is happening in 2021.

About 30 odd years ago I knew a lad who got £50 Grand when he signed for Wigan, he was a stand out young player and went onto play test football but was not an all time great.

I knew a few others who got decent signing on fees including some who got £10 grand from Leeds and never made it at top flight level.

If you’d told me back then that 30 plus years later, the best young talent would get nothing more than a tracksuit I’d. Have thought the country must have gone communist.'"

I find it disgusting that a club like ours is asking some players from Lancashire to travel over 3 times a week to train and play all for nothing. Some of Gales wages should go towards that. GH should be ashamed of himself.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain4719
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77264_1540382825.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_77264.jpg

Again I don’t know the whole story but in some defence of the club they have invested in facilities, and I do feel they try to support and look after the young ones in other ways.

Not disagreeing with you Marty but ultimately it’s more likely the parents who are bearing cost to give their kids the opportunity in those earliest years.

To be fair there are probably some first team squad members who are not on what we might assume is professional sports money.

The current position isn’t a great sign for where the game is at financially.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player1511
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! "I find it disgusting that a club like ours is asking some players from Lancashire to travel over 3 times a week to train and play all for nothing. Some of Gales wages should go towards that. GH should be ashamed of himself.'"

Makes even more sense moving Gale on then.
Having a very highly paid player sat in the stands while the young lads are playing for a pittance would be pretty disgusting….

RankPostsTeam
International Star4913No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: batleyrhino "We did, and as I understand it was pretty paltry.'"

Lucky we offered him anything, we paid a transfer fee for him and would have been better keeping Jordan Lilley, Mclelland proved to be a poor project signing never looked anywhere bear super league std so any offer we gave him as being generous.
Ciuld we resigned lilley then loan him back to Bradford and just bring him in if we have a ling term injury

RankPostsTeam
International Star4913No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Sir Gregory Parsloe "Decent shout Arthur but not sure how much he has got left and seems very injury prone, I’d guess if we were interested it might have happened as part of the Gale deal.'"

Paul Medley was my favourite as a kid until we signed Schoey, might change my name to “Paul Medleys Bottle” icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain419No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 20196 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Marty Grrrrrrrrrr! "I find it disgusting that a club like ours is asking some players from Lancashire to travel over 3 times a week to train and play all for nothing. Some of Gales wages should go towards that. GH should be ashamed of himself.'"

Why is it disgusting? Chasing your dreams requires sacrifice. There's zero money in the game and Leeds are a huge part of keeping it going through the academy. But to play for the rhinos is a privilege, not a right. We're at the end of a global pandemic, where the club has just lost millions.

Unfortunately, professional sport is a business, paying first teamer their market rate over paying an academy player is what brings revenue into the club in the first place.

Hopefully once all has settled down, the club will be able to pay their academy players something for playing.

On the LG issue, writing has been on the wall. Barely played last season, and was shocking when he did! Right call by the club, and can hopefully focusing on retaining our excellent young players who are OOC next season.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4913No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Its tough all round at the moment for players and clubs, a dearth of real talent in the game coming through combined with the likes of Warrington throwing silly money at young players creating an arms race, GH was unwilling to go down that route and wanted young players to choose Leeds because we have the best facilities best pathway and want players who want to play for Leeds because its Leeds not because they will just get the most cash. Warrington have reigned it in as well as they got stung big time in quite a few high paid junior who were never good enough.

Getting the balance right us difficult.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member11377
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2960.jpg
:2960.jpg

Quote: exiledrhino "Why is it disgusting? Chasing your dreams requires sacrifice. There's zero money in the game and Leeds are a huge part of keeping it going through the academy. But to play for the rhinos is a privilege, not a right. We're at the end of a global pandemic, where the club has just lost millions.

Unfortunately, professional sport is a business, paying first teamer their market rate over paying an academy player is what brings revenue into the club in the first place.

Hopefully once all has settled down, the club will be able to pay their academy players something for playing.

On the LG issue, writing has been on the wall. Barely played last season, and was shocking when he did! Right call by the club, and can hopefully focusing on retaining our excellent young players who are OOC next season.'"

Genuine question - do any clubs pay Academy players? Be it wages or refund all expenses or whatever it might be?

I don't know the set ups well enough but there is something heartbreaking about these lads paying for the privilege of being elite young players in a professional sport.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4913No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201114 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: FearTheVee "Genuine question - do any clubs pay Academy players? Be it wages or refund all expenses or whatever it might be?

I don't know the set ups well enough but there is something heartbreaking about these lads paying for the privilege of being elite young players in a professional sport.'"

Some players will be paid, and the hot prospects will obviously command more money, but for most the opportunity to possibly be signed pro will be the carrot, no different than the old colts days and Amateur clubs under 18’s hoping to get spotted and a trial or run of games in the A team.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain3615
JoinedServiceReputation
May 20168 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: exiledrhino "Why is it disgusting? Chasing your dreams requires sacrifice. There's zero money in the game and Leeds are a huge part of keeping it going through the academy. But to play for the rhinos is a privilege, not a right. We're at the end of a global pandemic, where the club has just lost millions.

On the LG issue, writing has been on the wall. Barely played last season, and was shocking when he did! Right call by the club, and can hopefully focusing on retaining our excellent young players who are OOC next season.'"

If your boss stopped paying you whilst he took a big salary and paid himself an annual.dividend whilst telling young kids hes no.money to pay them you wouldnt find that disgusting? Sorry i do.

Weve lost players because they cant live on nothing whilst being ask.to commit to the times they have to.commit to. On video session day the acafemy are at Kirkstall for 6 or 7 hours, quite a few have to travel from Saddleworth and Leeds cant afford to pay them. Come on. Its a scandal.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain545No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I know that the game is struggling and Leeds have suffered greatly through the pandemic however whatever the financial state of the club we should be covering travel expenses as a minimum for our acadamy players. Alternatively change the rules and you can only join a local club on an acadamy basis.I know its chicken and egg in that you need the top players to srive gates and investment in the clubs.However development of your own talent is financially beneficial to all clubs.Also if we dont look after the potential future stars they will walk away and the talent pool will continue to shrink and standards drop even further

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player2859No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
78089_1686152387.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_78089.png

Apparently, Gale left on good terms with the club, and the guarantee of being first choice in a world cup year, and the offer of a coaching role after he retires were the reasons he wanted to move.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner6695No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Jack Burton "Apparently, Gale left on good terms with the club, and the guarantee of being first choice in a world cup year, and the offer of a coaching role after he retires were the reasons he wanted to move.'"

I'd say if he couldn't perform at a level that makes him first choice at leeds then it's debatable whether he's of the standard needed for England.

151 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
151 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.46533203125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
TV Games - Not Hull
bishops fing
28m
Leigh it is
Zig
38m