Dec 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
11400_1493633977.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_11400.gif

i can't honestly see anythings been sorted out. the ageing forwards, defence or attack. it all seems an absolute shambles

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member28186No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

Defence is twenty percent structures, 80 percent desire and ability.

The first part of the 80 percent may not be lacking, but there are some players who no longer have the ability to get themselves in the right place at the right time simply because their legs have gone.

While you could argue that some would be more effective in a different structure, i.e. Sinfield's lack of pace would not be as exposed if he defended in the middle channel, when you're talking about your starting props there is nowhere else they can go irrespective of structure.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4934
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Dec 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40515_1330766741.jpg
Don't worry about avoiding temptation. As you grow older, it will avoid you! - Winston Churchill:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40515.jpg

Quote: tvoc "I thought you usually regarded much of Nantwich's output as risible nonsense? No offence Nantwich.'"

I don't believe I have ever said such a thing. Can you prove I called nantwich's output "risible nonsense" ? For a keeper of records I thought you claimed to be accurate.

I will always agree with a sensible rugby opinion particularly if it is a positive one which explains why I find yours a bit contrived and tedious.

Quote: tvoc "I recorded the game on the BBC HD Channel (Sky 143 I think it is - I presume the content is the same as the ordinary BBC output) Jonathan Davies said almost nothing during the build up. He said 'Yes' when it was stated he played at Wembley with Widnes and moments later said words to the effect that the possibility of playing in a Challenge Cup Final at Wembley had inspired him to change codes. That litererally was it - not a word concerning the game to come let alone the surprise to many inclusion of somebody with close to zero 1st grade experience. The build up was around 35 minutes in duration and his next comment was literally on the first tackle after the game had kicked off.

I therefore don't believe (unless you can prove otherwise) that Jonathan Davies said any such thing to ratify your claim that the intention had been to introduce Keinhorst any earlir than McDermott did.'"

Well I watched on normal BBC and heard the comment expressed in their build up just before the game.

Quote: tvoc "There was no need for a coach's well made game plan to be blown off course by the weather as the weather was as predicted. To believe your scenario either McDermott didn't know the forecast (I don't believe that's possible in this day and age) or he never intended to introduce Keinhorst until he actually did so on 56 minutes in which case underutilising the potential of the bench. '"

Are you saying the fweather orecast was precisely to the minute then? I didn't know that was possible these days either. However what you believe is of little consequence as it appears to come from your keyboard coaching manual.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif
:fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif

Sorry Juan, I'm with tvoc on the selection of Keinhorst. Its madness to PLAN to move a centre. Either Ablett's the centre or Keinhorst is, and a complete waste of a bench spot to do otherwise. Even more risble when you consider Keinhorst's complete lack of game time and the fact that so far he's hardly shown flashes of a young Schofield or Newlove - which at least would make it understandable to pick him. It smacks of a coach trying to be clever for its own sake.

I also agree that if Burrow is going to play hooker it has to be off the bench. We're starting with a jack-in-the-box whose main strength is wrongfooting tired defenders when the opposition is fresh, then putting on a plodder when the defence may be tiring. Again, a tad bonkers IMO.

As it was our defence was dreadful (and looking very very lazy including early on), our attack seemingly clueless when the game was in the balance, and our bench almost laughably poor. All those issues except lack of any impact on the bench point to coaching - as does Wire's far better performance.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

The concern i had about the possiblity of Keinhorst's selection at Wembley was that come the match i wasn't sure McDermott would see his risk through. I remember earlier on in the season when Liam Hood was given very brief cameos against Castleford and Warrington because McDermott was worried about putting him on too early. 2 of Keinhorst's 3 apperances so far have seen him come on just after the 30 mins mark so when JJB limped off just after the half hour mark on Saturday that was the logical point imo to put on Keinhorst and switch Ablett to the second row.

Instead he went for a hooker in Lunt, now i don't know what the gameplan was in regards to when to introduce Lunt and who for but i doubt it was for JJB after 32 mins. With the rain coming down too, not too much ball would be going out to the centres or wings so he wouldn't of faced an immediate bombardment on his introduction and eased into the atmosphere of a CC Final slightly before regrouping at halftime instead of having to sit through that wondering when or if he is going to get on. Seemed to me right then that McDermott was worried about when to throw Keinhorst into the action and that was the problem with that selection.....you can't have anyone in your 17 that you're worried about using, especially in a final.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
"As you travel through life don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" - George Carlin [url:2cg5oc2o]http://twitter.com/AndyGilder[/url:2cg5oc2o] [url:2cg5oc2o]http://fromthewesternterrace.blogspot.co.uk[/url:2cg5oc2o] This week: Four keys to a Rhinos win in the WCC:Transparent Backgrounds/Waldorf.gif

Seemed to me that McDermott saw the conditions and figured an extra forward on the field at that time made more sense than taking one off and bringing on an outside back. Lunt has played plenty in the back row during his time both with Leeds and at the Giants, in the same sort of role that Buderus played towards the back end of last season when Burrow came off the bench.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9061
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23603.jpg

Quote: Andy Gilder "Defence is twenty percent structures, 80 percent desire and ability.

The first part of the 80 percent may not be lacking, but there are some players who no longer have the ability to get themselves in the right place at the right time simply because their legs have gone.'"

Exactly. The true explanation of the regular season defensive shortcomings, dismissed by many as a lack of effort, was very apparent on Saturday. Maybe a new team of fitness coaches could improve matters; more likely many of the lads are now past the point where they're able to respond.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member17230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Nov 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3043_1291817917.jpg
#frostiesbitches We know who you are.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_3043.jpg

Quote: Andy Gilder "Defence is twenty percent structures, 80 percent desire and ability.

The first part of the 80 percent may not be lacking, but there are some players who no longer have the ability to get themselves in the right place at the right time simply because their legs have gone.

While you could argue that some would be more effective in a different structure, i.e. Sinfield's lack of pace would not be as exposed if he defended in the middle channel, when you're talking about your starting props there is nowhere else they can go irrespective of structure.'"

This is a spot on view.

And is one of the reasons why I have a problem with Delaney and JJB. I fully accept that Delaney's "stats" for example look pretty impressive at times. But what fails to be ackowledged from "stats" is the space around him when defenind, and the number of times he can not fill in, resulting in breaks been made.

Those same legs, also fail to move when actually put in space himself.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17134No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2020Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
193.jpg
Northampton RL....details here: //www.northamptonrl.co.uk:193.jpg

Quote: Andy Gilder "Defence is twenty percent structures, 80 percent desire and ability.'"

I think you're missing a few things there. There is a lot more that can be done in team organisation to make a team more effective.
Structure goes a lot further than people realise:
"Formation" - i.e. who's where in the line. (I expect to see more teams start playing their hooker wide by the way as we see more lightweight hookers and more additional props/2nd rows being used at loose)
Familiarity with that formation and knowing the habits and abilities of the players around you.
Alignment - inside/outside and where we do what in the line, and where we leave the space (the defensive line will have at least one less player than the attacking team)
Coverage - wingers or someone else scraping behind the line, who and when and why.
Changing any of the above according to field position - both horizontally and vertically.
Familiarity with opponents:
Individually - how they step, how they carry.
As a team - what moves are run, have we practiced against those moves?

Beyond that then, there's the individual and combination technique, especially in tackling. After all, when Warrington caught us on our right, it wasn't really any of the tactical stuff above, it was beating us in the carry in the middle and getting a quick PTB against a dented line, that didn't allow us to get much of the above into play prior to Warrington getting the ball into play again.

Most of the time, when a defence gets exposed, it's the play before you need to look at to understand why.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach11658
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
35138.jpg
Fat people are harder to kidnap.:35138.jpg

Quote: Juan Cornetto "Are you saying the fweather orecast was precisely to the minute then? I didn't know that was possible these days either. However what you believe is of little consequence as it appears to come from your keyboard coaching manual.'"

Funnily enough it was - it was forecast to at 15:00 on Saturday in London and sure enough it did (well 14:57 to be precise).

I remember the missus making a point of it at the time and I checked my watch.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member22289
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg
:4615.jpg

Quote: Juan Cornetto "I don't believe I have ever said such a thing. Can you prove I called nantwich's output "risible nonsense" ? For a keeper of records I thought you claimed to be accurate.'"

I provide the occassional stat here and there and always try to ensure any stat I produce is accurate. Pointless producing an inaccurate stat IMO. I cannot and have never given an 100% guarantee of accuracy, although I could probably count the number of queries against them on one hand in the time I've been here.

On the other side of the coin I've corrected possibly hundreds of factually inaccurate posts on here over the years just as I did on page 8 of this thread
Quote: Juan Cornetto "the downpour came just after we had taken the lead '"

I don't keep any records on who says what to who on here. It was a question asked rather than a statement of fact.

If not risible nonsense - how about
Quote: Juan Cornetto " Mmm strange logic '"
instead ?

Quote: Juan Cornetto "Well I watched on normal BBC and heard the comment expressed in their build up just before the game. '"

I still have the BBC HD recording so can verify it didn't appear on there and post an absolute word for word transcript of what Jonathan Davies said if neccessary.

Do you (or does anyone else) still have a copy of the BBC broadcast including the Davies comment re Keinhorst? I'd like to hear what was actually said.

Quote: Juan Cornetto "Are you saying the fweather orecast was precisely to the minute then? I didn't know that was possible these days either. However what you believe is of little consequence as it appears to come from your keyboard coaching manual.'"

Everyone knew the forecast beforehand and it was hardly inaccurate. I'm not the poster claiming the weather delayed the planned introduction of a player ill-equipped to offer anything from the bench.

If a starting centre had been injured in the first few minutes would McDermott have risked Keinhorst?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10145_1279728778.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10145.png

The game should be available on iplayer

RankPostsTeam
Moderator9189
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
27287_1532947987.png
BELIEVE. BELIEF. BEYOND. IT AIN'T WHERE YOUR FROM, ITS WHERE YOUR AT. SWMC Coach's very own timekeeping aficionado & expert stair inspector.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_27287.png

No ta. It's already burned into my scarred psyche. icon_neutral.gif

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2016Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Richie "I think you're missing a few things there. There is a lot more that can be done in team organisation to make a team more effective.
Structure goes a lot further than people realise

Agreed Richie, the term "structure" as I used it was very generic and used to determine between what the players are told to do and what they actually put into practice.

The best preparation in the world is useless if you have defenders in the middle who can't move their feet quick enough to prevent outside players having to edge in to cover their deficiencies, to the point they can't slide back out again quickly and under control enough when the ball does go wide.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9061
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23603.jpg

Quote: tvoc "Do you (or does anyone else) still have a copy of the BBC broadcast including the Davies comment re Keinhorst? I'd like to hear what was actually said.
'"

Dave Woods made a reference along these lines during the first half commentary, I believe. Unfortunately I hadn't read this thread when replaying so didn't take an undue amount of notice. Definitely first half though; I haven't had the stomach to replay the second yet.

144 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
144 posts in 11 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

1.6318359375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Exeter Rhino
1m
Rumours thread
Trojan Horse
1m
Seth Nikotemo
Trojan Horse
1m
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
3m
Recruitment rumours and links
MorePlaymake
5m
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
BP1
7m
Squad 2024
faxcar
7m
Former players
Jemmo
8m
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Leyther in n
8m
Proposed rule changes 2025
tad rhino
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Leyther in n
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
tad rhino
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Douglas Blac
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
moxi1
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
TODAY
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
Cokey
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 2,473 ↓-15980,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22