FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Leeds Rhinos > We need another star.....
85 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member554No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2013Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2103.jpg
You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. So, in other words, don't bother. You don't have to put your hand in the fire to know that its hot.:2103.jpg

Quote: Fetlar "Another exile here.

I remember Widnes nilling us in the Regal Trophy final at a foggy Central Park. That was the closest we got to a trophy in my early days as a supporter. To transform the fortunes of this club from that shambles to one of the best in our game's history is nothing short of miraculous.'"

That was one god awful match! How times have changed!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach7374
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Soon we will be dancing the Fandango FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB'S DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESS THEN I DONT KNOW WHAT IS. JAMIE PEACOCK:

Quote: Him "Yep. And if we win the WCC we'll be the first club to win it back to back.'"

I never realised Lewis Jones held the championship final record points scored,considering there have been some high points scoring finals

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman22697No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1140_1361875489.jpg
Leeds Rhinos? 8 for you, Leeds Rhinos! You go, Leeds Rhinos. And none for Castleford Tigers. Bye!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1140.jpg

He held the LEEDS record. I don't know about any others.

I took my info from last season's handbook. Not always the most reliable tome.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach719No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2017Mar 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Now the dust has settled on another GF victory, it allows you to think of what Leeds have achieved in the last nine years. First games i went to where CC finals in the 1970's being brought up down in London. Started watching Leeds properly since the mid 1980's and god there have been some deep lows with the odd high. One of the best was in i think 92 going to Central Park and i think we turned over Wigan 16-0, but so many defeats to Wigan the destruction of us by Charriots and the last ever Premier Ship final when Wigan and in particular Jason Robinson destroyed us. Semi final defeats in the mid 1990's to Bradford and then in the earl 2000's to Saint Helens. You started to believe that Leeds were never going to be the best, then going to Bradford year after to year to get hammered, only being brightened up by seeing Barry Mac hit Fielden. Buying so called super stars only to find out they were here for one more pay day.

But it changed with Tony Smith, remember saying after losing to Wigan in the play offs in 2003 that i cannot face getting so far and no further. But Tony Smith turned Leeds around he built a wining side, gone were the days of beating a side by 40 points one week and then losing the next week. He was lucky to have a group of young players to build the side around.

This side is on a par with the Wigan side of the late 80's if not a better side as it is a more level playing field with all sides full time and the cap. I think as Leeds supporters we don't actually see what these team has achieved, it has won the league 6 times out of 9 years. In the history of Rugby League not many sides have done that.

If you had said this to me in 2003 this was going to happen, i would have said you need a bed in High Royds.

WELL DONE LEEDS.

RankPostsTeam
International Star2No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2018Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: huddersfield rhino "Now the dust has settled on another GF victory, it allows you to think of what Leeds have achieved in the last nine years. First games i went to where CC finals in the 1970's being brought up down in London. Started watching Leeds properly since the mid 1980's and god there have been some deep lows with the odd high. One of the best was in i think 92 going to Central Park and i think we turned over Wigan 16-0, but so many defeats to Wigan the destruction of us by Charriots and the last ever Premier Ship final when Wigan and in particular Jason Robinson destroyed us. Semi final defeats in the mid 1990's to Bradford and then in the earl 2000's to Saint Helens. You started to believe that Leeds were never going to be the best, then going to Bradford year after to year to get hammered, only being brightened up by seeing Barry Mac hit Fielden. Buying so called super stars only to find out they were here for one more pay day.

But it changed with Tony Smith, remember saying after losing to Wigan in the play offs in 2003 that i cannot face getting so far and no further. But Tony Smith turned Leeds around he built a wining side, gone were the days of beating a side by 40 points one week and then losing the next week. He was lucky to have a group of young players to build the side around.

This side is on a par with the Wigan side of the late 80's if not a better side as it is a more level playing field with all sides full time and the cap. I think as Leeds supporters we don't actually see what these team has achieved, it has won the league 6 times out of 9 years. In the history of Rugby League not many sides have done that.

If you had said this to me in 2003 this was going to happen, i would have said you need a bed in High Royds.

WELL DONE LEEDS.'"

Well said.

I remember the Wigan game you mention well (though i think it was actually 19-0, sorry to be a pedant!) as it was the first time i'd been to Central park and seen Leeds win against them. Me and my dad used to go in the Swinley Labour Club near the ground before each game, my dad's mate was a member so we'd meet up and he'd take us in for the banter. They used to play re-runs of all the Challenge Cup wins in the backroom there on matchday so it was always agonising having to listen to their fans drone on and on about how amazing Wigan were and how Leeds would never achieve such greatness ( 5.05615234375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 26 Wigan Away
Once were Lo
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Recruitment rumours and links