FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Leeds Rhinos > Saints or Warrington?
65 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Cav
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach139No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46821.jpg
:46821.jpg

I'd rather beat Warrington.
I'd rather get beaten by St Helen's.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1554No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2022Sep 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41106.jpg
You come at the king - You better not miss. It ain't what you takin', it's who you takin' from, ya feel me? How you expect to run with the wolves come night when you spend all day sparring with the puppies?:41106.jpg

Quote: sally cinnamon "Yes, with Warrington's Academy it was essentially reboot and rebuild from scratch around 10 years ago. We had scrapped the academy temporarily in the late 1990s.[i Richie Mathers was on the books as a schoolboy around that time before he went over to Leeds.[/i '"

Intresting post.

Just out of interest though - can anyone confim if the highlighted bit right? He started out at Milford which is pretty much spitting distance from Headingley and I'm sure I've heard McGuire in the past talking about how Richie and him played in the same side at Leeds from a very young age all the way to the first team.

I remember Richie went on loan to the wire for a while.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16257
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10289_1326111229.png
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019 League Leaders 2011 2016:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10289.png

Quote: Omar Little "Intresting post.

Just out of interest though - can anyone confim if the highlighted bit right? He started out at Milford which is pretty much spitting distance from Headingley and I'm sure I've heard McGuire in the past talking about how Richie and him played in the same side at Leeds from a very young age all the way to the first team.

I remember Richie went on loan to the wire for a while.'"

He was about 13 when he signed schoolboy terms with Warrington. I remember it being in the Warrington Guardian but their archive site doesn't go back far enough, there was a lot of talk about him as being one of the outstanding schoolboys.

I would expect he must have been about 14 or 15 when he went to Leeds as he played in Leeds Academy. He came back to us for a brief spell on loan when he was 18 and then signed for us again in his mid 20s.

From that era (late 1990s) the schoolboy names I always remember hearing about were Mathers and Sinfield. Mathers because he was on our books, and Sinfield, we tried to get in part exchange as part of the Iestyn Harris deal, but Leeds wouldn't have it...they gave us Danny Sculthorpe as well.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member22289
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
4615.jpg
:4615.jpg

Quote: Omar Little "Just out of interest though - can anyone confim if the highlighted bit right? He started out at Milford which is pretty much spitting distance from Headingley and I'm sure I've heard McGuire in the past talking about how Richie and him played in the same side at Leeds from a very young age all the way to the first team.

I remember Richie went on loan to the wire for a while.'"

Rhinos call on teen spirit for big Saints clash
YEP - 28th August 2002

Teenager Richard Mathers could be in line for his Leeds Rhinos senior debut at St Helens on Friday after being recalled from a loan spell at Warrington Wolves. The 18-year-old Rhinos Academy star has made a big impression since joining the Wolves earlier this season, making a handful of senior appearances including a start against Wigan on Monday. He was due to stay with Warrington until the end of the season, but Leeds’ injury crisis has led to him being called back to Headingley.... snip..... Powell saidRichard Mathers is coming back after being at Warrington. He has had a chance and he has shown he can handle playing at Super League level. We need bolstering at the moment because of injuries and he has shown he can do a capable job. There is a chance he will play on Friday[/i.” Mathers played his junior rugby with the Milford amateur club and had a spell at Warrington before linking up with the Rhinos’ Academy. He has played for England Academy and Great Britain schools, but has yet to make his Rhinos first team debut. Powell saidWarrington were very happy with him, he did a good job for them. He played a number of positions, six, wing, a bit of full-back and centre against Wigan on Monday. I thought he stood up very well in that game. He is a very strong character, very determined. He really wants to reach the top of the game and he works as hard as possible to make that happen. On the field his versatility is a big strength. He is a full-back, but he can play in a number of positions and do it well[/i.”

Mathers gets his chance after a Rhinos SOS call
YEP - 30th August 2002

It has been quite a week for teenager Richard Mathers – facing Wigan on Monday and St Helens on Friday, both with different clubs. Mathers was a member of the Warrington Wolves side beaten by Wigan on Monday, before being recalled from his loan spell and drafted into Leeds Rhinos’ senior squad. He will be back in front of the Sky TV cameras again this evening when he makes his Rhinos senior debut against Saints at Knowsley Road. The 18-year-old former Milford amateur admitted the phone call from Leeds asking him to return to Headingley had come as a bolt from the blue. Rhinos Academy boss Stuart Wilkinson made the initial call to see if Mathers was interested, before first team coach Daryl Powell got in touch. “[iIt was the last thing I expected after the game on Monday,” he said. “It was a bit of a shock and I didn’t believe it at first, but I snapped his hand off when he asked me to come back. Daryl said I held my own at Warrington and he thinks I can do a job for Leeds. I went to Warrington to prove a point and I’m really grateful they gave me a chance. David Plange was fantastic with me. I thought I went all right. I thought I needed first team rugby and Dave gave me the opportunity. I played in a number of positions for them and they were really pleased with me. They were reluctant to let me come back, but that’s how it goes.[/i” Mathers admitted making his Rhinos debut will be “a dream come true”. He saidI’ve been a Leeds fan as long as I can remember. I was a season ticket holder from the age of five or six and I used to stand in the South Stand. It is fantastic that I’ve got the opportunity to play for them. It will be unreal, especially against St Helens. Playing against Wigan on Monday and Saints on Friday is going to be an interesting week and one I won’t forget[/i.” Mathers will be hoping for a better result than his previous appearance against Saints just four weeks ago, when he was a member of the Warrington side beaten 72-2. “[iI know a bit about them, so I’m not jumping straight in[/i,” he said. “[iWe got hammered. I played a number of positions, I started on the wing but Sid Domic got injured so I played 60 minutes at six against Paul Sculthorpe. Although we lost 72-2 it was an invaluable experience. He is a world class player. I think it made me a better person and player, playing against Paul Sculthorpe. Tonight is going to be tough, but all being well it will prove the quality of the young players at Leeds. If we stand up I think we can really give them a run for their money. Daryl’s just told us to express ourselves and not go into our shells. He thinks we can do a good job. He believes in our talent, otherwise he wouldn’t put us in. I think we can turn them over if we all stick together and express ourselves the way we can[/i.” Though he was recalled because of an injury crisis, Mathers is adamant he is not just making up the numbers. “[iI’ve said to Daryl I don’t just want to be a stop gap,” he said. “I don’t want to play one game then go back in the Academy. Daryl has said that’s in my hands and I agree with him. I want to take the chance with both hands and hopefully keep my place[/i.”

St Helens won Mathers' Leeds debut game at Knowsley Road 38 - 18.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach9058
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
23603_1336678755.jpg
"Look, I'd never use injuries as an excuse..." Daryl Powell:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_23603.jpg

Quote: ThePrinter "As a fan i feel so different looking ahead to the GF than i did the CCF. '"

Pretty much the same for me. I looked forward to the CC final with all the enthusiasm of a plumber called out to unblock Shaun Wane's toilet. This one I feel we can win.

RankPostsTeam
International Star161No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2012Oct 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68373_1347290769.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68373.jpg

Quote: Clearwing "Pretty much the same for me. I looked forward to the CC final with all the enthusiasm of a plumber called out to unblock Shaun Wane's toilet. This one I feel we can win.'"

I'm the opposite, i really thought it could finally be our time in the cc final. But with the grand final, it's been 57 years since warrington won a championship, it just feel like ''its going to be their time''.

65 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
65 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.90234375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
1m
Film game
karetaker
3m