FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Leeds Rhinos > Is it ok for other teams to simply be better than Leeds?
61 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2469No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2012Jun 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: BillyRhino "In #1 you will only find a very small tent full of a strange mixture of gullible band waggoner types, and older aficionados, so desperate to forget the lean years that they have adopted a nelson's telescope approach to the current squad. There may well be a single canoe outside, well stocked with banoffee pie for their lonely journey up that big Egyptian river.....

In#2 you will find a marquee full of your salt of the earth types, who are able to watch and enjoy the game of Rugby league, rationalise and comment on what the see before them, all without getting their knickers in a twist.

It's a simple game, watched by simple people.......why some have to turn it into a drama, I really don't know! Having revoked Sinfield's familial links to the Royal Family along with his knighthood in recent weeks, I suspect the occupants of both camps above shall be eager to reinstate them after wins against Wakey, Cas and London. Other members of the squad shall be similarly reinstated to their positions of pre-eminence.

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

Quote: Keith Swiftcorn "

If Leeds were to win SL again this season from 5th/6th position after regularly playing rubbish/poorly for most of the season, would you be prepared to reconsider that statement above?'"

No. Ask one of your SL whipping boy rabble supporters how many trophies they win by being crap every year or even any Leeds fan old enough to remember pre 2004.

Anyway, you always think whoever wins Stuporleague is rubbish, it's a rubbish competition.

RankPostsTeam
International Star11412No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Jul 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

"The Golden Generation finally has its Golden Fleece! They have Wembley Cup Final winners medals to add to their collection." 23/08/2014:

Quote: The Eagle "Personally I think that the approach of easing off during the season to save yourself for the business end is the correct strategy. Since our poor tail offs in 2005 & 2006, we have succeeded in all but 1 of the last 5 grand finals. However, I think the balance last year and this year is wrong. I don't for one minute believe that the club has targeted to finish 7th or 8th. I'm not bothered about the LLS. Without the Sl trophy along side it, its meaningless. But I do expect us to be at least competitive with our rivals during the season. I think the fans are being a little short changed.'"

Why do people think we are easing off as part of some great masterplan come playoff time? If we were easing off thinking of September/October time then why are we playing the same guys week-in week-out, the likes of Peacock & Delaney look knackered and still not given a rest. The team selection hardly smacks of a saving ourselves for later philosophy. We are losing because we are playing poor not because of some saving it for later plan.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3813No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Another difference this year is that there's not going to be an easy off-form Huddersfield away game in the middle of the playoff run.

Wherever we come 5th-8th, the first game will be winnable. Hull away would be the hardest, otherwise it'd likely be Huddersfield or Hull KR. Not certain wins, but games Leeds should win *if they're on playoff form*.

But then it would likely be St.Helens away then Wigan away to get to the Grand Final, and it's bloody hard to imagine managing that.

There are a lot of reasons why doing it from outside the top four last year was unusual, but a fixture list of Hull(h) Hudds(a) Warrington(a) rather than Hull(a) Saints(a) Wigan(a) was one of them.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2469No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2012Jun 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: DHM "No. Ask one of your SL whipping boy rabble supporters how many trophies they win by being crap every year or even any Leeds fan old enough to remember pre 2004.'"

I wasn't aware Leeds were whipping boy SL rabble.

Aren't they genuine contenders who (if they were to win SL again this year) will be proving beyond a shadow of a doubt that it is possible to be rubbish (strategic or otherwise) for the most part and still win silverware?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach15864No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Oct 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10145_1279728778.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10145.png

Quote: ThePrinter "
Quote: ThePrinter "Personally I think that the approach of easing off during the season to save yourself for the business end is the correct strategy. Since our poor tail offs in 2005 & 2006, we have succeeded in all but 1 of the last 5 grand finals. However, I think the balance last year and this year is wrong. I don't for one minute believe that the club has targeted to finish 7th or 8th. I'm not bothered about the LLS. Without the Sl trophy along side it, its meaningless. But I do expect us to be at least competitive with our rivals during the season. I think the fans are being a little short changed.'"

Why do people think we are easing off as part of some great masterplan come playoff time? If we were easing off thinking of September/October time then why are we playing the same guys week-in week-out, the likes of Peacock & Delaney look knackered and still not given a rest. The team selection hardly smacks of a saving ourselves for later philosophy. We are losing because we are playing poor not because of some saving it for later plan.'"

Because I have seen this team peak when it matters many times over the last few years. The difference in intensity between the WCC and the loss against Bradford only a few weeks later is marked. If it was just form these bad games would appear in key games as well. Over the last few years the only key game I have seen perform the way they are at the moment is during the CC final, otherwise they have been bang on in games that matter for the last 5 years, even if they didn;t end up winning all of them

I agree some players look knackered, and if I were trying to save something back for the end of the season I would rotate my squad better both on match day, and week to week.

61 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
61 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.05029296875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Toulouse A
Bully_Boxer
4m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
6m