JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2022Feb 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Scooter.gif
Looking forward to the future...... not livin in the past...:Black Backgrounds/Scooter.gif

Quote: RIGSBY "unless your SAINTS.. icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4190No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

[quote="Eddie Hemmings said not ":1h9um51j] "Remember last time they were here, the Huddersfield Giants, they lost to a Luke Walsh drop goal. He's only scored four drop goals in his St Helens career has Luke Walsh and each and every one of them have been scored by Luke Walsh"[/quote:1h9um51j]:

Quote: FLYINGPROP "
Are we trying to say that an accidental knock on should be play on? or have I misread this post'"

I think you missed the point. There is supposedly a difference between an accidental knock-on (resulting in scrum or handover) and a deliberate knock-on (resulting in a penalty). However, although I am sure I have seen many deliberate knock-ons, I have never seen a penalty given for any of them.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5952No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6580.jpg
:6580.jpg

Quote: Disco "...As a forward pass no doubt?
'"

Correct. That had no characteristics of a pass. It had 100% of the characteristics of a knock on. (I did have this exact opinion after the Leeds v Bradford game btw, so it isn;t just because it was my team tonight). The fact that this decision has been given twice by the VR in the last 10 weeks or so confims it is correct,as they would have discussed that one in training.

The fact is that Westerman did not pass that ball.

Quote: Disco "
I think you're missing the point. The thread's not about how we choose to debate 'what was'.. the thread's about how the ref could have possibly been sharp enough to call this particular alleged knock on or not. Especially when he's proved himself to be not particularly 'sharp' over he course of any given full 80 this year.

I'm sure that (broadly speaking) Wire fans will be happy to give Thaler the benefit of this particular doubt (while at the same time calling him blind for numerous other incidents) and Cas fans will refuse to believe that anyone could ever be so insightful after proving himself so inept at spotting the run of the mill decisions during the game's other 79.9 minutes.

Still. Sh*t happens....'"
Was that the original point? The OP asked why the decision was given, so it was actually a quite open thread. I have gone into why it was the correct decision (same as the Leeds/Bradford one).

I'm not sure why you are pulling Thaler on this one. He suspected a knock on and asked for it. So he did spot it. You may say he wouldn't have given it had there been no VR, but that is the same for every TV game.

In general I don't bother criticising refs, as it usually balances out, as I thought it did last night. There were plenty of things we were lucky with, but then I could also list things that you were lucky with. It's generally not worth ref bashing (as you have acknowledged on this thread I think).

One last point, I only watched this game on TV (like most Wire fans by the sounds of it) but the commentators didn;t feel it was a controversialone at all, and the decision was pretty clear cut.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5952No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6580.jpg

Quote: Thelonius "I think you missed the point. There is supposedly a difference between an accidental knock-on (resulting in scrum or handover) and a deliberate knock-on (resulting in a penalty). However, although I am sure I have seen many deliberate knock-ons, I have never seen a penalty given for any of them.'"
No, I haven't either. I had this debate on another board recently, where I was under the impression it was a Union-only rule, but somebody actually quoted from the rule book that an intentional knock on is a penalty offence.

IMO it is wrong that this rule is still in the rulebook but is ignored.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach471No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2014Jun 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Statler.gif
Between the Lobbies and the Pies:Black Backgrounds/Statler.gif

Clear knock on, I called it from 70 yards away, got to agree the ref would have pulled it back if the screen hadn't been there. He was just adding to the drama for Sky in my book icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach359No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2012Apr 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
44305.jpg
:44305.jpg

Quote: Tigerpie "Clear knock on, I called it from 70 yards away, got to agree the ref would have pulled it back if the screen hadn't been there. He was just adding to the drama for Sky in my book
What would he have done if he was tackled just before the line then score on the next play????

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman11181
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2015Jul 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
936.jpg
:936.jpg

Quote: Dave T "Correct. That had no characteristics of a pass. It had 100% of the characteristics of a knock on. (I did have this exact opinion after the Leeds v Bradford game btw, so it isn;t just because it was my team tonight). The fact that this decision has been given twice by the VR in the last 10 weeks or so confims it is correct,as they would have discussed that one in training.

The fact is that Westerman did not pass that ball.

Was that the original point? The OP asked why the decision was given, so it was actually a quite open thread. I have gone into why it was the correct decision (same as the Leeds/Bradford one).

I'm not sure why you are pulling Thaler on this one. He suspected a knock on and asked for it. So he did spot it. You may say he wouldn't have given it had there been no VR, but that is the same for every TV game.

In general I don't bother criticising refs, as it usually balances out, as I thought it did last night. There were plenty of things we were lucky with, but then I could also list things that you were lucky with. It's generally not worth ref bashing (as you have acknowledged on this thread I think).

One last point, I only watched this game on TV (like most Wire fans by the sounds of it) but the commentators didn;t feel it was a controversialone at all, and the decision was pretty clear cut.'"

Sorry, I don't agree. There's no way Thaler could know what Westerman was thinking - certainly not enough to instantly judge the potential offence as a knock on (rather than a forward pass). A knock on leaves the hand, goes forward and touches the floor, a post or an opposition player. If it leaves the hand, goes forward and is caught by a team member then it's a forward pass. Whatever the rulebook states, it's been interpreted in this pretty clear cut way for as long as I can remember, so all this 'intent' talk just seems a smokescreen to me.

Of course the distinction between the two only really matters because one is video reviewable while the other isn't. In the end it wouldn't have made much difference but I very much doubt another referee would have done anything other than "Sorry Mr Briers, I can't go to the screen for forward passes". icon_rolleyes.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5952No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6580.jpg

Quote: Disco "Sorry, I don't agree. There's no way Thaler could know what Westerman was thinking - certainly not enough to instantly judge the potential offence as a knock on (rather than a forward pass). A knock on leaves the hand, goes forward and touches the floor, a post or an opposition player. If it leaves the hand, goes forward and is caught by a team member then it's a forward pass. Whatever the rulebook states, it's been interpreted in this pretty clear cut way for as long as I can remember, so all this 'intent' talk just seems a smokescreen to me.

Of course the distinction between the two only really matters because one is video reviewable while the other isn't. In the end it wouldn't have made much difference but I very much doubt another referee would have done anything other than "Sorry Mr Briers, I can't go to the screen for forward passes".
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach471No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2014Jun 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Black Backgrounds/Statler.gif
Between the Lobbies and the Pies:Black Backgrounds/Statler.gif

Quote: classycas2009 "What would he have done if he was tackled just before the line then score on the next play????'"

He'd have called the knock on if we hadn't of scored on that play. Come on it was an obvious knock on icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman11181
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2015Jul 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
936.jpg
:936.jpg

Quote: Dave T "The bit in bold is where you are completely wrong,and therefore it is not worth continuing the debate. Read the rules if you'd like to add to it.'"

Aye ok..20 years of my eyes deceiving me.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5952No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6580.jpg

Quote: Disco "Aye ok..20 years of my eyes deceiving me.'"
Apologies for being dismissive in my previous post, I have managed to find the rulebook on the RFL website (not an easy task).

The rulebook states a knock on is [i'to knock the ball towards the opponents’ dead ball line with hand or arm, while playing at the ball'[/i.

It then goes on to state that ifafter knocking-on accidentally, the player knocking-on regains or kicks the ball before it touches the ground, a goal post, cross bar or an opponent, then play shall be allowed to proceed. Otherwise play shall stop and a scrum shall be formed except after the fifth play-the-ball.[/i It is clear that Westerman knocked the ball forwards. Now your quote that it is only a knock on if it touches the ground, an opposition player or a post looks right, however the important bit here is that the player who knocks it forward must regain the ball, and he didn't, therefor knock on.

Now this is where you may state that it is covered by the forward pass rule (as per your previous post), however a pass is defined asa throw of the ball from one player to another[/i. It is pretty clear that Westerman did not throw the ball, so it cannot be classed as a pass.

This was my original point when stating that it had all the characteristics of a knock on (a knock towards the opposition line, and not regained by this player), and no characteristics of a forward pass (a throw of the ball).

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5804No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2014Aug 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
5684_1302370205.jpg
[url:2e8yjxd3]http://riverpiker.blogspot.com/[/url:2e8yjxd3]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_5684.jpg

What puzzles me though, is if a ref can spot something as a knock on in that instance, (which wasn't the easiest thing in the world to spot) can they not see a fecking forward pass that goes forward over 5 meters? (As seems to happen in every single game of RL).

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3977No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2021Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
15575.jpg
[img]//www.rlfans.com/images/sigs/castigers.gif[\img]:15575.jpg

Quote: Dave T "

however a pass is defined asa throw of the ball from one player to another[/i. It is pretty clear that Westerman did not throw the ball, so it cannot be classed as a pass.

'"

Dont want to sound like i'm nit picknig here but, if a pass can only be THROWN from one player to another. Why isnt a flick or a tip with the finger tips from one player to another be pulled back.

How many times do players who cant reach a ball to catch just flick it on to anther player. Just wondered. icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman12415No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2014Jun 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
974.jpg
[b:876tpu3k][size=100:876tpu3k][color=green:876tpu3k][i:876tpu3k]Getting older is mandatory; growing up is optional.[/i:876tpu3k][/color:876tpu3k][/size:876tpu3k][/b:876tpu3k] [quote="tb":876tpu3k]I agree with Bonzo[/quote:876tpu3k] [quote="Inflatable_Armadillo":876tpu3k]I like you Bonzo, you are my kind of person... [url=http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sensible:876tpu3k]sensible[/url:876tpu3k]![/quote:876tpu3k] [img:876tpu3k]http://www.rlfans.com/images/sigs/cas.gif[/img:876tpu3k]:974.jpg

Quote: classycas2009 "What would he have done if he was tackled just before the line then score on the next play????'"

Probably still checked it and disallowed the try if there was input from the touch judges to suggest there'd been a problem.

Quote: classycas2009 "Dont want to sound like i'm nit picknig here but, if a pass can only be THROWN from one player to another. Why isnt a flick or a tip with the finger tips from one player to another be pulled back.

How many times do players who cant reach a ball to catch just flick it on to anther player. Just wondered. If it goes back, it's fine. If it's flicked forward, due to the flicking player having never been in posession of the ball, it's not a pass and therefore cannot be a forward pass, only a knock-on.

Having now watched this, it was a knock-on. The initial pass was fine, but Westerman's touch knocked the ball in a forward direction. When it was subsequently touched by Ferres, this completed the knock-on.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner5952No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2018May 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6580.jpg

Quote: poppys mum "Dont want to sound like i'm nit picknig here but, if a pass can only be THROWN from one player to another. Why isnt a flick or a tip with the finger tips from one player to another be pulled back.

How many times do players who cant reach a ball to catch just flick it on to anther player. Just wondered.
You can nudge the ball on with your toes if you want, but it could never be pulled as a forward pass.

33 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, pyeman , Hughies sister
33 posts in 3 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin, pyeman , Hughies sister

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.4990234375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Leyther in n
24m
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
moxi1
Recent
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
Recent
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
Recent
Seth Nikotemo
Start@1873
Recent
BORED The Band Name Game
Boss Hog
Recent
Film game
Boss Hog
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Exeter Rhino
2m
Film game
Boss Hog
3m
Seth Nikotemo
Start@1873
3m
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
4m
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
5m
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
6m
Former players
Jemmo
6m
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
7m
Shopping list for 2025
UllFC
7m
Man of Steel
matt_wire
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Best Semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Ben Condon is a Leopard
Jack Gaskell
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Leyther in n
TODAY
Any decent RL reads for me hols
norbellini
TODAY
Championship Play Off Final
PopTart
TODAY
Man of Steel
matt_wire
TODAY
Guest appearance
Kick and cha
TODAY
Squad for HKR
matt_wire
TODAY
Proposed rule changes 2025
tad rhino
TODAY
Fev H Play Off
Wigan Bull
TODAY
Whose going for a beer in Wigan Saturday
Deeeekos
TODAY
Play-off semi-final
Khlav Kalash
TODAY
Coach of the Year
Kevin Turvey
TODAY
Greatest game ever at HJ
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
World Club Challenge
Barstool Pre
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Hull KR Away Play Off Semi
Douglas Blac
TODAY
2025 Squad
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
2024 Season Review
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
McNamara interview
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
French Elite 1 season 2024/2025 Thread
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Butcher
TODAY
2025 membership/renewals
Armavinit
TODAY
Hull FC ladies
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Kai
Cokey
TODAY
Travel to hull krdoes the club run coache
moxi1
TODAY
Wakefield v Dons - Sunday 29 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
The play-offs
Ckt2487
TODAY
This years play off series
matt_wire
TODAY
Leigh it is
NickyKiss
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Play Off SF
Cokey
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 2,834 80,12914,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
20:00
Hull KR
v
Warrington
 TOMORROW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R29
17:30
Wigan
v
Leigh
 Sun 6th Oct
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
09:30
Melbourne
v
Penrith
       League One 2024-R26
15:00
Keighley
v
Hunslet
       Championship 2024-R29
Bradford
v
Featherstone
York
v
Widnes
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
16:30
York V
v
St.HelensW
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 4th Oct
SL
20:00
Hull KR-Warrington
Sat 5th Oct
SL
17:30
Wigan-Leigh
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley-Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V-St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne-Penrith
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Warrington 28 761 341 420 42
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Leigh 28 580 404 176 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
Bradford 26 678 387 291 34
York 27 655 469 186 30
Widnes 26 551 475 76 29
Featherstone 26 622 500 122 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22