Feb 20196 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

INOUT
Quote: faxcar "Having a mobile pack is all well and good if the conditions are right but you can’t hang around waiting for warmer weather and drier pitches.

In winter conditions you either get field position by yardage from the pack or by kicking well and we aren’t doing either well enough.

Like Terry posted you need a balance between size and mobility and we haven’t got the size.
Workington this weekend and once again the above will be put to the test, if we fail again then SG has to do something about it.'"

The whole the pack isn't big enough is misleading. No pack is ever dominant all of the time and games have momentum shifts that directly effects yardage. I think some people still live in the era of that Bulls monster back of Fielden, Anderson, Vagan etc. The forwards game has evolved since then and forwards can make yardage for more than just size. Eliott Morris is a classic example of just quick feet at the line which gets him easy meters. The pack isn't small. They are all 6 feet. I mean the best prop in the world is James Fisher-Harris @ Penrith is only 6'1. John Bateman was the best second-rower in the world at Canberra and he is hardly a monster. Sunday was a 50/50. You can pick hairs but if our pack was so dwarfed, Widnes would have won more comfortably.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4561
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: SingaporeFax "INOUTThe whole the pack isn't big enough is misleading. No pack is ever dominant all of the time and games have momentum shifts that directly effects yardage. I think some people still live in the era of that Bulls monster back of Fielden, Anderson, Vagan etc. The forwards game has evolved since then and forwards can make yardage for more than just size. Eliott Morris is a classic example of just quick feet at the line which gets him easy meters. The pack isn't small. They are all 6 feet. I mean the best prop in the world is James Fisher-Harris @ Penrith is only 6'1. John Bateman was the best second-rower in the world at Canberra and he is hardly a monster. Sunday was a 50/50. You can pick hairs but if our pack was so dwarfed, Widnes would have won more comfortably.'"

Where did anyone say the whole pack wasn’t big enough, small or was so dwarfed?
Those words were never said or implied.
What was said was add to what you have some size or punch.
Someone who can break the line and get some space to play against a retreating defence which by the way we haven’t done, it’s mainly been tit for tat in the middle of the park.
You can pick hairs but if we did have that bit extra size or punch as explained above Widnes wouldn’t have won by any score.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain153No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20196 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: faxcar "Where did anyone say the whole pack wasn’t big enough, small or was so dwarfed?
Those words were never said or implied.
What was said was add to what you have some size or punch.
Someone who can break the line and get some space to play against a retreating defence which by the way we haven’t done, it’s mainly been tit for tat in the middle of the park.
You can pick hairs but if we did have that bit extra size or punch as explained above Widnes wouldn’t have won by any score.'"

You certainly are implying about size but don't we all icon_wink.gif
I do get your point about that line-busting forward but they are few and far between in our division at least. Springer was that type of player but that came to nothing. I do miss that Cahlhane type of prop as he had everything but hopefully, when Matty Gee is fit, I think he can give us some dimension.

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player301No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 20204 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

So the reality is we are three matches in and we are all reevaluating potential league positions . Fev look very good and leigh look to be emerging as the next contenders . For me it looks like fax for mid table but get better on drier pitches as the team gels . Workington will probably be a 60s mudbath, I fear by the end of this weeks rain. I seem to remember going to a cup match workington v fax years ago early 90s? Standing in the bottom corner not able to tell the shirt colours wondering why on earth I had driven 3hrs to watch that mud feast .

RankPostsTeam
International Star4561
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: SingaporeFax "You certainly are implying about size but don't we all Sorry but you are still misquoting people and your entire first post was built on misquotes and “straw man” arguments.
To be clear.
I did not imply that the whole of the pack were either too small, not big enough or were dwarfed as you posted.
I did not imply anything about size/punch, it was a clear statement and I will repeat it.
Our current pack would benefit by having the likes of Gadwin in there based on what is evident now on the field.
We hardly break the line and have little second phase or field position from that section of the team in winter conditions, fact.
How anyone can make a connection to yesteryear and Bradford and state that is where some people are living is total garbage, can you read peoples minds?
Do you honestly think we are at a game in 2022 and giving even a nanoseconds thought to Vagana, Feilden or anything to do with Bradford? And you say others are misleading icon_lol.gif
SG himself on the one hand acknowledges the threat of size/punch on his assessment of the opposition in his prematch interviews when he says they are a big bunch of lads or have a big pack but for some reason doesn’t add that threat to the side!!
And you have to be at least looking before your going to find that type of player. eusa_think.gif
Unfortunately the most likely source will be on DR from Huddersfield.
A simple point of example from our own team is Ed Barber.
Ed as a lot of qualities but one of the primary reasons he has stand out games when he plays in the centres is that extra bit of size that punches through the line, often with an offload, second phase, field position, points etc etc.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain153No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20196 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: faxcar "Sorry but you are still misquoting people and your entire first post was built on misquotes and “straw man” arguments.
To be clear.
I did not imply that the whole of the pack were either too small, not big enough or were dwarfed as you posted.
I did not imply anything about size/punch, it was a clear statement and I will repeat it.
Our current pack would benefit by having the likes of Gadwin in there based on what is evident now on the field.
We hardly break the line and have little second phase or field position from that section of the team in winter conditions, fact.
How anyone can make a connection to yesteryear and Bradford and state that is where some people are living is total garbage, can you read peoples minds?
Do you honestly think we are at a game in 2022 and giving even a nanoseconds thought to Vagana, Feilden or anything to do with Bradford? And you say others are misleading
Relax pal, you have an opinion and as do I. No need to dissect the argument. It's early days and little can we learn.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1085No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20205 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Just a quick statistical analysis on the game ( haven’t finished watching the 2nd half)

1st half Widnes had

17 completed sets
4 incomplete sets
1 set resulting in a 7 tackle set for fax
Conceded 2 penalties
Made 2 handling errors.

Halifax

11 completed sets
2 incomplete sets
3 sets resulting in 7 tackle set for Widnes
5 conceded penalties
4 handling errors

During our purple patch in the 2nd half we completed 11 sets in a row to Widnes ‘ 4 till joe Martin tried to offload in the tackle then we conceded 2 consecutive penalties, offside from the scrum then high tackle to give them a penalty kick .

Ultimately like mentioned before it’s handling errors and silly penalties conceded that costs us . Interestingly and why I believe Grix goes for the mobile stamina based forward is we complete our sets faster than the opposition , it happened for 20 mins against London and 15 against Widnes, the opposition starts to flag and we add to this by having a relentless gwaze type character on the field . Problem is up to now we undo all that by sloppy play , if/ when it clicks we will score tries on the bounce , if you listen to grixs’ interview that’s what he’s referring to .

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach339No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Listenup94 "Just a quick statistical analysis on the game ( haven’t finished watching the 2nd half)

1st half Widnes had

17 completed sets
4 incomplete sets
Conceded 2 penalties
Made 2 handling errors.

Halifax

11 completed sets
2 incomplete sets
5 conceded penalties
4 handling errors

During our purple patch in the 2nd half we completed 11 sets in a row to Widnes ‘ 4 till joe Martin tried to offload in the tackle then we conceded 2 consecutive penalties, offside from the scrum then high tackle to give them a penalty kick .

Ultimately like mentioned before it’s handling errors and silly penalties conceded that costs us . Interestingly and why I believe Grix goes for the mobile stamina based forward is we complete our sets faster than the opposition , it happened for 20 mins against London and 15 against Widnes, the opposition starts to flag and we add to this by having a relentless gwaze type character on the field . Problem is up to now we undo all that by sloppy play , if/ when it clicks we will score tries on the bounce , if you listen to grixs’ interview that’s what he’s referring to .'"

Exactly this - the pitch at the South Stand end makes defending and getting out of your own end more difficult. We were in control in the 2nd half and I was confident we could go on and win an maybe get a few more scores. But in those conditions all it takes is an odd error to give away the territory - we made 3 in quick succession

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain280No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20169 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2023Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Enjoyed Sunday and glad to return from Yorkshire with the narrowest of victories. Our form for playing away, even on grass, it terrible, add in to the mix a rainy, boggy day, I was pleasantly surprised with how we played. Your lads didn't really show up first half and it felt comfortable at one stage, but once you kicked on in the second half, we were hanging on for a long time.Our halfbacks did a good job, as did doro on loan and Tyler Dupree, think the local Halifax lad has a massive future in the game

It could have gone either way and you just need to concentrate on your next games and start picking the points up, i saw enough from Fax to say them and Widnes look fairly matched and you should go well for the rest of the season

We got there at half 11 on the train, straight to the White Horse. Great pint, very cheap and talking to a number of Fax fans in there. Would go back. Also had a couple in the Duke of Wellington and Royal Oak

Look forward to next years trip

RankPostsTeam
International Star4561
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Listenup94 "Just a quick statistical analysis on the game ( haven’t finished watching the 2nd half)

1st half Widnes had

17 completed sets
4 incomplete sets
Conceded 2 penalties
Made 2 handling errors.

Halifax

11 completed sets
2 incomplete sets
5 conceded penalties
4 handling errors

Ultimately like mentioned before it’s handling errors and silly penalties conceded that costs us . Interestingly and why I believe Grix goes for the mobile stamina based forward is we complete our sets faster than the opposition , it happened for 20 mins against London and 15 against Widnes, the opposition starts to flag and we add to this by having a relentless gwaze type character on the field . Problem is up to now we undo all that by sloppy play , if/ when it clicks we will score tries on the bounce , if you listen to grixs’ interview that’s what he’s referring to .'"

Penalties, errors, poor decision making, there always going to be part of that in every teams game but the fact it’s been mentioned in after the game analysis on numerous occasions from within the club as a problem suggest it’s more than spectators just having a moan.
I fully understand why SG is going with the relentless Gwaze type player and on a hot summers day on a dry pitch can see that being very affective in blowing the lungs out of the big lump opponent.
In the meantime, in winter conditions before you get to wearing your summer trainers and tea shirts it might be prudent to have a pair of big boots and an overcoat in your wardrobe.
We’ve gone all in on a one strategy approach and another couple of losses (if not already) will equate to missing the hoped for good start to the season and relying on a big mid / end of season run in.

Anyway I’m now off to chill out, apparently according to our resident mind reading medical expert I need to relax more. icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain153No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 20196 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: faxcar "Penalties, errors, poor decision making, there always going to be part of that in every teams game but the fact it’s been mentioned in after the game analysis on numerous occasions from within the club as a problem suggest it’s more than spectators just having a moan.
I fully understand why SG is going with the relentless Gwaze type player and on a hot summers day on a dry pitch can see that being very affective in blowing the lungs out of the big lump opponent.
In the meantime, in winter conditions before you get to wearing your summer trainers and tea shirts it might be prudent to have a pair of big boots and an overcoat in your wardrobe.
We’ve gone all in on a one strategy approach and another couple of losses (if not already) will equate to missing the hoped for good start to the season and relying on a big mid / end of season run in.

Anyway I’m now off to chill out, apparently according to our resident mind reading medical expert I need to relax more.
I can't read that far from Singapore icon_wink.gif don't worry pal. We need to remain cohesive, not many fax fans left. A very effective analogy by the way and you are right that 'avoidable' loses such as what might be coming up this weekend might prove agonising towards the business end of the season.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4561
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: SingaporeFax "I can't read that far from Singapore Well I’m already up in Keswick for the short trip to Workington.
Very wet up here already with a couple of big storms on their way in one after the other with rain and 60 to 90 mph winds forecast depending on how far north you are to hit Wednesday / Thursday and possibly beyond.
Have to see how things turn out for the game but those lakes or more accurately mere’s aren't here by accident. icon_thumb.gif

Incidentally did anyone pick up on Kyle Wood maybe being available for this week?

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1085No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20205 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Some more stats courtesy of Widnes

https://twitter.com/widnesrl/status/149 ... 04256?s=21

As regards the forwards it’s an ongoing debate , we have been unfortunate with injuries to gee and knowles . There are too many variable unknowns to make complete judgments , one is finances , have we spent close to our budget because of the the rumoured two leagues of ten , we appear to have at least 3 financially healthy sponsors in stage freight , eclipse energy and Deliveree , listening to various sources this is where some extra capital came from for some of the signings however Grix seemed to debunk that theory in his interview with mick gledhill stating the funds had come from better management of funds not independent investments . So how much money we had or have left is an unknown. I think overall Keyes Aston and jouffret are an upgrade on Harris and Robinson but due to injury we won’t see knowles for the rest of the season and gee till April, gwaze has been a good signing . I wonder if Grix new gee was injured when he signed him . If we had been offered Dupree then that is a mistake imo and I’m hoping we draft on an Oliver roberts type player for the double fev matches then the Leigh games .
Some more stats courtesy of Widnes

https://twitter.com/widnesrl/status/149 ... 04256?s=21

As regards the forwards it’s an ongoing debate , we have been unfortunate with injuries to gee and knowles . There are too many variable unknowns to make complete judgments , one is finances , have we spent close to our budget because of the the rumoured two leagues of ten , we appear to have at least 3 financially healthy sponsors in stage freight , eclipse energy and Deliveree , listening to various sources this is where some extra capital came from for some of the signings however Grix seemed to debunk that theory in his interview with mick gledhill stating the funds had come from better management of funds not independent investments . So how much money we had or have left is an unknown. I think overall Keyes Aston and jouffret are an upgrade on Harris and Robinson but due to injury we won’t see knowles for the rest of the season and gee till April, gwaze has been a good signing . I wonder if Grix new gee was injured when he signed him . If we had been offered Dupree then that is a mistake imo and I’m hoping we draft on an Oliver roberts type player for the double fev matches then the Leigh games .

RankPostsTeam
First Team Player772
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20214 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: faxcar "Penalties, errors, poor decision making, there always going to be part of that in every teams game but the fact it’s been mentioned in after the game analysis on numerous occasions from within the club as a problem suggest it’s more than spectators just having a moan.

Anyway I’m now off to chill out, apparently according to our resident mind reading medical expert I need to relax more. I think you have made the point about our pack better then me well said. Another telling factor from sunday was salty getting man of the match well deserved for him but in those conditions forwards should be in there element on a heavy slow pitch but our best players other then Titus where both playing on the wing.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1085No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 20205 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: faxcar "Well I’m already up in Keswick for the short trip to Workington.
Very wet up here already with a couple of big storms on their way in one after the other with rain and 60 to 90 mph winds forecast depending on how far north you are to hit Wednesday / Thursday and possibly beyond.
Have to see how things turn out for the game but those lakes or more accurately mere’s aren't here by accident.
Not gonna lie this weather is getting on my nerves 1 game played on Mount Everest and two games played on a ploughed field , watched the Bradford v Leigh game last night played on a nice lush pitch reasonable conditions whilst we look forward to another bogathan at Workington . Someone said on fb wood was out for 12 weeks (apparently came from the horses mouth but make of it what you will as fb not the most reliable source )with a torn bicep but then Grix said he could be available this week so who knows.

74 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
74 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.1201171875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Decision on the field
--[ WW ]--
2m
SL CHAT THREAD OTHER TEAMS GAMES
chapylad
15m