FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > Halifax Panthers > Time for Calland to go?
69 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach78No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2011Oct 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41547.jpg
:41547.jpg

i think its time for mr calland to go!!!!!! and the reasons 4 it is the bloke doesnt even know what his best team is and we are about 8 games in if you take the nrc in to balance.the team is low in confidence we all know that but calland isnt the bloke to sort it this time as we dont have the team to get us out ov the this time.weve lost some great players in branno and shad and moloney and its showing big time.the signings calland has made are awfull clayton,smith gannon who was pants the first time round are just way past there best and as for cherrytree that guy couldnt break wind.we need a coach like karl harrison who will take us back to basics and play to a game plan instead ov this ov the cuff crap on your own line when you should be taking 5 drives and a kick and make them make a error in the half instead ov ours.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman25858
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1013_1274975796.gif
Black [color=red:1mjyx80j]Red[/color:1mjyx80j] [color=blue:1mjyx80j]Blue[/color:1mjyx80j] [color=green:1mjyx80j]Green[/color:1mjyx80j]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1013.gif

We've started bad, no doubt about that, but does the blame lay fully on calland?

Recruitment has been mixed IMO

Ratu had a decent preseason before getting a bad injury.

Gannon and Smith not taken a backwards step

Danny Jones was a good player for keighley, yet to show it for us yet (In games Ive seen, told he was good against Batley in the second half)

Clayton isn't good enough, and I dont think Fairbank is either (though according to some meathead that opinion is insulting his family name and will have me banned from watching rugby league icon_lol.gif )

We lost some good forwards in Said, Wrench and Maloney, Gannon replaces Wrench and perhaps Chandler replaces Said, but we dont have a moloney type "nutcase" who apart from been an ok player, can get involved when the going gets tough and step up to it.

I dont think its time to call for Calland to go, but perhaps put some pressure on memebers of the team to start to perform, when we win, we praise them no end, when we lose, focus switches to the coach, it is his job to motivate them but the ultimate performance is down to them

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2516No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200817 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2015Nov 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
36253.gif
:36253.gif

Lets not forget that Calland as taken a pay cut plus the playing budget as been slashed and that shows with the loss of quality in Brano, Maloney and shad. I remember everyone being happy with our recruitment during the off season and saying our pack will smash everyone this season how stupid them comments look now.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3124No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2016Sep 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

YOU CAN LEARN FROM THE PAST BUT NOT RELIVE IT.YOU CAN HOPE FOR THE FUTURE BUT CAN NEVER BE SURE THERE WILL BE ONE.:

Quote: Forever Blue and white "Lets not forget that Calland as taken a pay cut plus the playing budget as been slashed and that shows with the loss of quality in Brano, Maloney and shad. I remember everyone being happy with our recruitment during the off season and saying our pack will smash everyone this season how stupid them comments look now.'"

As the coach he has taken a pay cut but what I cannt understand is why all the other coaches ? Both Holly and Larder were kept on as coach / players then there`s Damian Ball , Martin Gonzales helps with coaching as well as Under 23s and then he has Martin Hall for back up , there must be a sizeable cost there.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2077No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Jan 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Not everybody mate said the pack wouldsmash everybody off the park. I personally had serious doubts as Gannon, Frank, Mikali, Larder are all over 31 and Gannon was always a penalty machine. And I remeber many saying Maloney not staying was a big miss as was Brannighan and Royston. Taking a Pay Cut was a big thing and I respect MC for doing it when he didnt have to do. But for me I see the same problems that have been woith us for years and nothing has changed. And today when I heard Bally mention about Negativity in the camp, then you have to question whether its time for MC to part ways with Fax.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3533
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Jul 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
51701_1323356561.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_51701.jpg

Currently think Jones has been poor, bad decisions by going for little chips when we need a deep kick, cost us the match against Batley and that win could have been the kick start we needed.
Calland picking a fullback on bench against Fev - ridiculous - just meant the forwards had even more work to do and it's those decisions that make me feel he should go.
Penky makes so manyy mistakes/wrong decisions but has got away with them with spells of brilliance but I'd have Beswick on the pich everytime. And Penky is NOT a captain.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2011Apr 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
46612.jpg
:46612.jpg

Penky is a captain.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach9484
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
13050.gif
[b:112mouem][color=#0000FF:112mouem][size=100:112mouem] "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."― Albert Einstein[/size:112mouem] [/color:112mouem][/b:112mouem] [b:112mouem][color=#0000FF:112mouem][size=100:112mouem] "Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense." ― Gertrude Stein[/size:112mouem][/color:112mouem][/b:112mouem] [b:112mouem][color=#0000FF:112mouem][size=100:112mouem] "Don't believe everything you read on the internet" ― Abraham Lincoln [/size:112mouem][/color:112mouem][/b:112mouem]:13050.gif

Quote: I remember everyone being happy with our recruitment during the off season and saying our pack will smash everyone this season how stupid them comments look now.'"
]

I dont actually remember anyone saying this. How a pack this light weight could smash anyone is beyond me. Ive said all along we have the best backs in the league but that dosnt matter when by the looks of it on the first few games we have one of the worst packs in the league. Forwards win games, the backs just score the trys.
"

I dont actually remember anyone saying this. How a pack this light weight could smash anyone is beyond me. Ive said all along we have the best backs in the league but that dosnt matter when by the looks of it on the first few games we have one of the worst packs in the league. Forwards win games, the backs just score the trys.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach14No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2012Mar 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5845-54zedonite-msnicons.jpg
"Don't follow leaders, watch the parking meters":icons077e_files/5845-54zedonite-msnicons.jpg

Gannon not taken a backward step? I have yet to see him make a yard. Featherstone's props took him out of the game and it was the same at Sheffield today.

If you think Danny Jones is yet to show his ability then I think you must have missed his kicking, passing, tackling and determination. He was one of our stand out players at Sheffield and created that try out of nothing for White.

The coach is definitely to blame when things go wrong. Nobody gets to play semi-professional rugby league by being rubbish at the game - it is the coach who makes the difference to how well they perform. Look at what Powell has done with Featherstone and what Harrison has done with Batley. In all walks of life the performance of a team is heavily influenced by its manager and can change dramatically when there is a change of manager - that is a given recognised everywhere. Yes, the team members take the plaudits when things go well - it is part of the manager's role to stand back and let that happen, or even to encourage it. It's all about motivating people.

We have some terrific players at Halifax but the team is less than the sum of their parts and the coaching is not addressing this.

It's time for Calland to go.

rlw
RankPostsTeam
International Star30No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2012Mar 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

if we continue to play like this then we will not make the play offs, simple! HOWEVER it is not that long ago that we were in this position, remember hunslet leigh and fev. I think its time us fans really got behind the coach, not just the team, and let him know that we have faith in him.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach5865No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Nov 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10674.jpg
:10674.jpg

Quote: The Scratchin shed ghost "Same old story. All the things we are bad at we never improve and the rest of the league have worked out how to play us. Too slow, no ideas, no leadership, paper thin defence, no positioning, no discipline and no pride.'"

Could that be down to the coach then?
Making too many wrong decisions like making Penky captain (again), did he never learn last time as the guy is not a born leader he is too individual, like when we need him to make the right call he does things like running the ball instead of taking the 2 points.
Said it many times before a well coached teams know how to beat us and we cannot cope, so yes once again I do question the coach do we have a gameplan???
Come on look at the resources at clubs like Batley and Sheffield not being cocky but they are small clubs compared to us yet because they have good coaches they do well, especially against us, so do Fev under another good coach.
We have done well the last 2 years under Calland because we have had a good squad of players and some individuals players who can score from nothing, but we have less of them now and I am concerned that we have gone backwards this season and yes I did go to Toulouse and they were bad there too.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach14No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2012Mar 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5845-54zedonite-msnicons.jpg
"Don't follow leaders, watch the parking meters":icons077e_files/5845-54zedonite-msnicons.jpg

Quote: rlw "if we continue to play like this then we will not make the play offs, simple! HOWEVER it is not that long ago that we were in this position, remember hunslet leigh and fev. I think its time us fans really got behind the coach, not just the team, and let him know that we have faith in him.'"

I won't be getting behind the coach because I no longer have any faith in him.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach562No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2017Nov 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
47386.jpg
:47386.jpg

Quote: Fax4Life "Could that be down to the coach then?
Making too many wrong decisions like making Penky captain (again), did he never learn last time as the guy is not a born leader he is too individual, like when we need him to make the right call he does things like running the ball instead of taking the 2 points.
Said it many times before a well coached teams know how to beat us and we cannot cope, so yes once again I do question the coach do we have a gameplan???
Come on look at the resources at clubs like Batley and Sheffield not being cocky but they are small clubs compared to us yet because they have good coaches they do well, especially against us, so do Fev under another good coach.
We have done well the last 2 years under Calland because we have had a good squad of players and some individuals players who can score from nothing, but we have less of them now and I am concerned that we have gone backwards this season and yes I did go to Toulouse and they were bad there too.'"

Being pedantic here as I understand your point, but I wouldn't even put Batley in the same ballpark as Sheffield in terms of resources, mate. If you told me we (Batley) had enough money to sign even ONE out of Taulapapa, Yere or their new Samoan guy who recently had NRL trials, I'd probably spend the rest of 2011 laughing in your face.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach5865No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2019Nov 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10674.jpg
:10674.jpg

Quote: Jim Bergerac "Being pedantic here as I understand your point, but I wouldn't even put Batley in the same ballpark as Sheffield in terms of resources, mate. If you told me we (Batley) had enough money to sign even ONE out of Taulapapa, Yere or their new Samoan guy who recently had NRL trials, I'd probably spend the rest of 2011 laughing in your face.'"

Maybe based on support mate, I can only guess Mr Aston gets some decent sponsorships being in a large city like Sheffield.
When he goes I think they will struggle he is Mr Sheffield.

rlw
RankPostsTeam
International Star30No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2012Mar 2012LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I won't be getting behind the coach because I no longer have any faith in him.'"
]

you wont get behind a coach who has taken us to the last grand finals, winning one of them. If you do not have faith in him surely you have faith in the board to choose an appropriate time to make a change, up until that point he deserves the backing of the fans, totally your decision of course.

69 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
69 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.77685546875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
1m
Film game
Wanderer
5m