JoinedServiceReputation
May 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I have waited some time before joining this debate. I started this post some time ago and I kept adding to it!I have had strong views since day one but I wanted my response to be considered and I hope understandable. When you first look at the Shay Stadium reports in the Courier it appears at first glance it sounds very interesting. Both clubs will pay less rent, new shops and businesses to create hundreds of new jobs. Both clubs will secure and the stadium will be developed to become the focal point of sport in Halifax and the community. Truly excellent news; just what is needed! But hang on something just doesn’t add up. Why would a successful and competent businessman pay £1.9M for a site with just two revenue streams i.e. Rugby and Football clubs. Both are hardly money making machines and unlikely to become so. The football club according to a Director need 1600 to break even. Despite a good start to Conference life this is not being achieved. The Rugby Club are allegedly substantially behind with rent to the council, and current performance levels tend to indicate the trend of falling attendances will continue, certainly in the short term. He has already indicated rents for the two clubs `will be reduced’ I am missing something here. Perhaps somebody out there who knows modern business methods can tell me how you can pay the best part of £2Million for the site and where are the income streams coming from to a) pay for the purchase and b) finance all the additional items to further transform the stadium. As mentioned earlier he (according to the courier article) has already promised to reduce the rent paid by both clubs. I obviously do not know what the actual rents being paid by both tenants is but let’s say for an example both are paying 100K to the council. The profit element of £200K (after expenses for actual usage and maintenance is deducted) is certainly not enough to finance a £1.9M purchase. Also the additional liability of the drainage remains to be sorted. I am sure I read that this is likely to cost £1/4M (a proportion apparently to be funded by grants but the balance to be funded by the owners is still substantial)to be properly resolved; is the new landlord going to fund this? Some contributors particularly those with stronger associations for the rugby club seem to be saying to supporters of the football club; that the latter are simply envious of a new benefactor with strong and public connections to the rugby club. I enjoy both codes and I really want both to continue and survive (and hopefully) prosper in the future. Putting the Stadium in `a private’ hand is `potentially’ disastrous and is the most risky option. Problems may not occur for a few years (but could come a lot quicker) Those who thinks tenants are be protected by 100 year leasehold, clauses `guaranteeing’ use by the sporting clubs, and restrictive covenants banning future change of use sales etc I am sorry but you need to be aware the opposite is true. All these clauses and covenants are not 100% guaranteed and in today’s commercial world these would be overturned by any half decent legal team in The High Court. You just need to look at the ingress of private housing/business usage into supposedly sacrosanct green field sites for evidence that climates and opinions are changing. You really need to ask yourself which option 1) private or 2) council ownership has the best chance of preserving the stadium/facilities/location for permanent use by both teams. I stump for the latter option not because I think the council are the best thing since sliced bread; probably the lesser of two evils. I use the drainage problem as an example; I am sure that if the council retain the ownership of the shay stadium the drainage problem will be definitely be sorted (eventually) Some poster I think `bubba’ have also raised a third option of making the club is managed and owned by the community/supporters/and or Trust; I appreciate some out their think this is the way forward. I simply wish them well in their efforts but I don’t see how this is viable with the income streams currently available and likely to be generated in the future will adequately fund operating, maintaining and developing The Shay Stadium. With private ownership the decision to proceed or not is totally based on income streams and profit levels etc; the council would have to be slightly different and have more of a community based ethos/responsibility to ensure the Shay is fully functioning. A commercial organisation in today’s economic climate probably could struggle to do a satisfactory business case for spending £250K on the pitch. Particularly if one tenant or both are behind in rent, could and would be used by the principals as a valid reason for not undertaking the work, or more likely to be used as a valid excuse (sorry business justification) for delaying the work to an unspecified time in the future.
As an aside I was first heard that £1.9M had been offered for the Shay, my first reaction was this figure was something akin to giving away the family silver. I am not a surveyor or have any knowledge of commercial land prices, but for a large prime site near the Town Centre the price looked embarrassing low. I nevertheless satisfied myself thinking the council would have a legal remit to ensure they obtain a price based on a full market valuation. I was amazed to learn that the council are under no such remit. They don’t have to accept only a full market valuation; instead they are legal charged to ensure that all valid bids, properly constituted and robust are fully investigated. As I say I don’t know if this is true, but it would fit the story that a bid of (only) £1.9M is being processed. But back to the main point - I read somewhere that Roman A @ Chelsea has `invested’ £400M+ into the club and apparently he can take out this money (no notice needs to be given) at any time he sees fit. Chelsea supporters are very happy to have him underwriting the club big time, but he ever has a chance of heart Chelsea will go into freefall (ala Portsmouth) Mr A and his companies could be the best thing to happen to the rugby club since Mr Gartland. But Mr A rather his company, could sell his £100K of shares tomorrow. Looking at a balance sheet provided on another posting it already arrears `Directors loans’ are keeping the rugby club solvent. If he or one of his companies buys the stadium, and he or his companies has a change of heart and decides to take himself or his business in another business direction. He can and will be able to sell his property to anybody he wants to, and both club as tenants will have very limited rights. This scenario would never happen if the council retains ownership. I do think the council with the current economic climate and the strain on resources would love to sell this white elephant that is the Shay Stadium. But they retain ownership they do have a legal right whilst it is open to ensure proper management of the facility. I think in some bizarre way this situation is not unlike what happened at Thrum Hall with sale of the ground. I am not suggesting any improper behaviour from any of the parties involved in that sale. But I think it would be the ultimate irony if the following scenario took place. Mr A and his company buy the Shay, but quickly find developments to increase revenue on the site do not materialize, and the venture no longer is profitable or viable. He then sells the whole site to Tesco or Barratt for substantially more than he or his company paid. As part of the deal to boot us off site (sorry sweetener) they agree to build us a new ground on some (sorry secondary grey field industrial land) site in the middle of nowhere which is value for money i.e. cheap. At first glance you would be in uproar at such a plan. But is this so out of the question. Both clubs don’t need 12,000 stadia. A low cost sports facility which is more in keeping with the level of professional sport being played and the attendances being generated is required. The clubs need to be realistic in their expectations for the future. Unless we suddenly acquire the support of someone with buckets of money to throw at the club (I don’t think Mr A is in this category), we are going nowhere; Championship 1 is our level. This is the first time I have acknowledged that the top tier of the game is beyond us. So why don’t we admit our limitations and make plans accordingly. I remember going to Workington rugby (or was it Whitehaven) a few years ago for a cup match after they had largely rebuilt their ground I think from an EU grant. A local told me a figure which unfortunately I can’t remember but it was low, very low. The East Stand cost £6M (and still needs a corner sorting) no wonder the council want shut of the whole thing! Nothing fancy, elaborate, no double tiered stand, or computerised turnstiles just a basic ground but fully functional. Nowhere near as good as The Shay (or Thrum Hall) but certainly fit for purpose. I remember thinking this is precisely the type of ground the rugby club (at that time was not thinking of the football people) should be at. If we could acquire such a ground with club(s) ownership we would be masters of our own destiny and in a facility that is both affordable and fully usable. One question that results from this train of thought is that why don’t the Council simply sell the Shay Stadium for something approaching it proper market worth to a suitable house builder or supermarket chain etc. Build `us’ a low cost stadium more suitable to the tenants needs (many years ago a site in Copley was mentioned) for a fraction of the cost of that Mr A is offering. The council would be win-win with this deal; council make serious money on the deal, rid themselves of the white elephant that is the Shay Stadium, the Football and Rugby clubs get a new ground with more reasonable running cost and that reflect the current status in their respective sports; everybody happy - job done (PS and Mr A is really interested in helping the club(s) he would want to be involved, wouldn’t he?)

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3124No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2016Sep 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

YOU CAN LEARN FROM THE PAST BUT NOT RELIVE IT.YOU CAN HOPE FOR THE FUTURE BUT CAN NEVER BE SURE THERE WILL BE ONE.:

Quote: Fax4Life "Looks like Mr Butler junior is taking us back in time and he may have just scuppered any deal for the Shay altogether and as a result investment in improving the Shay probably for many years to come if ever now. Thing is whilst it would be great for a Stadium Trust to run the stadium it won't work with the current set up as the income from the car parking, 5 a side pitch, East Stand and the clubs rent won't be enough to invest in the extra facilities needed to create more income. Gavin you are living in cloud cuckoo land as a Trust won't have the money they will just tick over and you will have lost us an opportunity to get further improvements to the Shay imo.
But don't let that stop you.'"

The last time Bubba came up with a plan B it was soundly rejected by his own fans and The Town Board have had nothing to do with him since , he isn`t "living in cloud cuckoo land " as he was pushed out of the nest some time back. The very idea that anyone would want to revert back to the SST arrangement is laughable to be honest ,the idea was good but didn`t work and would certainly need a good man with vision at the helm .

RankPostsTeam
International Star31No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2013Oct 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Why would anyone oppose the sale of The Shay?

Anyone with knowledge of former Bradford City Chairman Gordon Gibb's pension fund.

Anyone with knowledge about The Goldstone Ground, Brighton,
Nene Park, Rushden,
Feethams,Darlington
Plough Lane, Wimbledon
And numerous other sports grounds, not just football stadia.

Anyone with knowledge of The Thrum Hall ground fiasco.

Anyone with knowledge of previous Halifax Town Chairmen.

Anyone with knowledge of the ‘Save our Shay’ campaign by both sets of supporters a few years back.

Apart from the meccano set in the corner The ground is looking its best in nearly 100 years.
Anyone who does not fall for the Labour B.S. about how much it costs to run The Shay. They have had long enough to utilise the office space and leisure facilities.

If you have no knowledge of the above it is no wonder you want The Shay sold. If you have no knowledge of the above you should really keep quiet and try thinking a little.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2714No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Aug 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/g23.gif
:Others/g23.gif

Quote: Realist Shay "Why would anyone oppose the sale of The Shay?

Anyone with knowledge of former Bradford City Chairman Gordon Gibb's pension fund.

Anyone with knowledge about The Goldstone Ground, Brighton,
Nene Park, Rushden,
Feethams,Darlington
Plough Lane, Wimbledon
And numerous other sports grounds, not just football stadia.

Anyone with knowledge of The Thrum Hall ground fiasco.

Anyone with knowledge of previous Halifax Town Chairmen.

Anyone with knowledge of the ‘Save our Shay’ campaign by both sets of supporters a few years back.

Apart from the meccano set in the corner The ground is looking its best in nearly 100 years.
Anyone who does not fall for the Labour B.S. about how much it costs to run The Shay. They have had long enough to utilise the office space and leisure facilities.

If you have no knowledge of the above it is no wonder you want The Shay sold. If you have no knowledge of the above you should really keep quiet and try thinking a little.'"

So what your really saying is unless we support your view we should keep quiet? Jog on Richard.

RankPostsTeam
International Star31No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2013Oct 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: spanishbob "So what your really saying is unless we support your view we should keep quiet? Jog on Richard.'"

So have you a counter-argument regarding the sale?

You are not going to be quiet so let us hear it.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2714No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Aug 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Others/g23.gif
:Others/g23.gif

Quote: Realist Shay "So have you a counter-argument regarding the sale?

You are not going to be quiet so let us hear it.'"

I have already said my views on here and on other websites. I'm happy enough to now sit and await the outcome

202 posts in 14 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin
202 posts in 14 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
Subscribe | Moderators: Admin

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.7763671875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Leigh h
moto748
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Round 16 London Home
Once were Lo
17s
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
17s
The NRL Thread
YosemiteSam
21s
Tonights game v Giants
karetaker
52s
DoR - New Coach - Investor & Adam - New signings
DSJ1983
54s
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
KaeruJim
57s
Batley next
Start@1873
58s
Jayden Okunbor
bonaire
1m
Toulouse A
Bull Mania
1m
Planning for next season
LeythIg
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Accountability
Gazzagiant2
TODAY
email
orangeman
TODAY
This site is crap
ALAW
TODAY
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win Over the Broncos
RLFANS News
TODAY
Prettys Girls in your city for night
jackmac452
TODAY
Vegas Baby
Jason65
TODAY
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thriller
RLFANS News
TODAY
Reserves
BigTime
TODAY
Tonights game v Giants
karetaker
TODAY
Free parking
Philth
TODAY
Salford Away Travel Information
LancashireRe
TODAY
Batley next
Start@1873
TODAY
Round 16 London Home
Once were Lo
TODAY
Leeds
the-bearded-
TODAY
Injuries and available cover
walter wall
TODAY
Problems with this Site continued
karetaker
TODAY
3 clubs apply to join League 1
Huddersfield
TODAY
Sadly one less Bronco
nkpom
TODAY
Fan Village
[Gareth]
TODAY
The Seagulls v The Panthers
terry silver
TODAY
Las Vegas 2025 English ladies involved
Huddersfield
TODAY
New halfback signing
Pyrah123
TODAY
Batley Bulldogs H
Willzay
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Cokey
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Lucky Leeds Golden Point Win O..
Wigan Beat Leigh in Derby Thri..
Wakefield Trinity Register Thi..
Englands Youngsters Beat Franc..
Big Win for England Women Over..
2024 State of Origin - Game 2 ..
New Structure for 2025 Challen..
Super League form rewarded as ..
Superb Salford Complete Histor..
Catalans Dragons Survive Secon..
Warrington Wolves Snatch Late ..
Spirit of Rob Burrow Inspires ..
Hull KR Drop Goal Secures Win ..
St Helens Break Fifty As They ..
Leigh Leopards Resurgence Clai..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.6M 2,606 80,08514,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R18
05:00
Sydney
v
St.George
07:05
Canberra
v
Newcastle
     Womens Super League 2024-R7
12:00
Wire W
v
Hudds W
12:00
York V
v
BarrowW
       League One 2024-R14
14:00
Newcastle
v
Workington
14:30
Crusaders
v
Midlands
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R16
15:00
Salford
v
Hull FC
       Championship 2024-R14
Dewsbury
v
Doncaster
Featherstone
v
Whitehaven
Swinton
v
Widnes
Wakefield
v
Batley
York
v
Barrow
       League One 2024-R14
Keighley
v
Rochdale
 Thu 11th Jul
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
10:50
Dolphins
v
Souths
 Fri 12th Jul
     National Rugby League 2024-R19
11:00
Cronulla
v
Wests
     Womens Super League 2024-R8
17:30
WiganW
v
St.HelensW
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
20:00
LondonB
v
Castleford
Warrington
v
Leeds
Warrington
v
St.Helens
 Sat 13th Jul
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R17
Leigh
v
Huddersfield
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sun 7th Jul
SL
Salford-Hull FC
Fri 12th Jul
SL
LondonB-Castleford
SL
Warrington-Leeds
SL
Warrington-St.Helens
Sat 13th Jul
SL
Hull FC-Hull KR
SL
00:00
Leigh-Huddersfield
SL
17:30
Catalans-Salford
Wed 17th Jul
SOO
11:05
Queensland-New South Wales
Sat 17th Aug
SL
18:00
Warrington-Leeds
SL
15:30
Wigan-St.Helens
SL
13:00
Hull FC-LondonB
Sun 18th Aug
SL
13:00
Leigh-Salford
SL
15:30
Catalans-Hull KR
SL
18:00
Huddersfield-Castleford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 6th Jul
NRL 18 Canterbury13-12NZ Warriors
NRL 18 Wests28-40Melbourne
NRL 18 NQL Cowboys20-22Manly
SL 16 Leeds17-16LondonB
WSL2024 7 LeedsW6-16St.HelensW
WSL2024 7 FeatherstoneW0-50WiganW
Fri 5th Jul
NRL 18 Cronulla16-20Gold Coast
NRL 18 Brisbane6-14Penrith
SL 16 St.Helens6-8Castleford
SL 16 Warrington48-0Huddersfield
SL 16 Wigan24-6Leigh
CH 14 Sheffield28-0Halifax
Thu 4th Jul
NRL 18 Parramatta16-32Souths
Sun 30th Jun
CH 13 Barrow0-36Wakefield
CH 13 Dewsbury12-38Bradford
CH 13 Halifax38-18Whitehaven
CH 13 Widnes16-24Batley
CH 13 York10-18Sheffield
L1 13 Cornwall10-16Crusaders
L1 13 Newcastle10-44Midlands
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 15 427 170 257 26
St.Helens 16 429 170 259 22
Warrington 16 406 213 193 22
Hull KR 15 383 201 182 22
Salford 15 295 288 7 20
Catalans 15 288 220 68 18

Leeds 16 291 286 5 18
Huddersfield 16 298 365 -67 12
Leigh 15 270 250 20 11
Castleford 16 246 435 -189 9
Hull FC 15 198 474 -276 4
LondonB 16 156 615 -459 2
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 13 486 142 344 26
Sheffield 14 382 217 165 22
Bradford 13 341 218 123 18
Toulouse 12 332 174 158 16
Widnes 13 315 245 70 15
Featherstone 13 330 283 47 12

Batley 13 205 286 -81 12
Doncaster 13 237 325 -88 11
York 14 285 293 -8 10
Whitehaven 13 266 358 -92 10