FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Sin Bin > No More Arguments: Austerity is Working!
723 posts in 49 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Mintball "On a slightly different note – but Jerry has raised the issue of undermployment/casualisation anyway – rlthe Scrooge employer that refuses to pay the national minimum wage, charges his staff 17,000% APR for loans on petrol to get between jobs, 'rents' them company cars at £128 a month because they're not paid enough to buy one and then takes hundreds of pounds from their wages if they're in a road accident where they're not to blame.rl'"

No one is forced to work here, he would have to change his attitude and conditions if he couldn't find anyone to do the work. Presumably everyone knew what the terms were when they joined?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member47951No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1977_1349889235.jpg
"You are working for Satan." [i:2886spie]Kirkstaller[/i:2886spie] "Dare to know!" [i:2886spie]Immanuel Kant[/i:2886spie] "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive" [i:2886spie]Elbert Hubbard[/i:2886spie] "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." [i:2886spie]Oscar Wilde[/i:2886spie] [url=http://thevoluptuousmanifesto.blogspot.co.uk:2886spie][color=#4000FF:2886spie]The Voluptuous Manifesto[/color:2886spie][/url:2886spie] – thoughts on all sorts of stuff.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1977.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "No one is forced to work here, he would have to change his attitude and conditions if he couldn't find anyone to do the work. Presumably everyone knew what the terms were when they joined?'"

In "The Real World", people don't have oodles and oodles of lovely choices for jobs.

If they leave a job tomorrow, there are not hundreds of jobs available. I know that, in fantasy la la land, some people like to pretend that there are just millions vacancies out there, all ready to be filled, but this is not the reality. That is why there are more people unemployed than there are vacancies.

And given privatisation of services, it is entirely possible that pay, terms and conditions have been changed since people were employed to do the job – there are plenty of workplaces where this has happened more than once as the workers have been passed between companies like a parcel.

That's "The Real World" for you.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1977_1349889235.jpg
"You are working for Satan." [i:2886spie]Kirkstaller[/i:2886spie] "Dare to know!" [i:2886spie]Immanuel Kant[/i:2886spie] "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive" [i:2886spie]Elbert Hubbard[/i:2886spie] "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." [i:2886spie]Oscar Wilde[/i:2886spie] [url=http://thevoluptuousmanifesto.blogspot.co.uk:2886spie][color=#4000FF:2886spie]The Voluptuous Manifesto[/color:2886spie][/url:2886spie] – thoughts on all sorts of stuff.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1977.jpg

Quote: Chris28 "I must admit to not having read the NMW legislation from cover to cover, but surely if that bit's true, he can be prosecuted?'"

I know that the journalist posting this story was so shocked that they double checked – and then the editor and the head of comms did further checks, simply because it is so shocking.

The government has said that not paying people for travel time (thus reducing their pay to below the national minimum wage) is 'not on' and companies shouldn't do it, but they have yet to legislate to close a loophole that, when the legislation was initially enacted, nobody foresaw.

In the case of this branch, I also know that the union is only now in a position to start acting because recruitment (on the basis of the employer's behaviour) has given it good density.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67953_1341943970.jpg
Someday everything is gonna be different, when I paint my masterpiece ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://garykitchen.co.uk/:lnkxkae0]Online art gallery, selling original landscape artwork[/url:lnkxkae0] ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://jerrychicken.wordpress.com/:lnkxkae0]JerryChicken - The Blog[/url:lnkxkae0] ----------------------------------------------------------:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67953.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "No one is forced to work here, he would have to change his attitude and conditions if he couldn't find anyone to do the work. Presumably everyone knew what the terms were when they joined?'"

It ain't necessarily so, this business covers both Dorset and Hampshire social services areas contracted out to do the work that both of those regions would probably have handled in-house.

Now imagine that you are a care worker, a home help or similar, working for those local authorities only to be told that you are now redundant and that you can re-apply to this "Care" company for a position there, it happened in Leeds also by the way, to a friend of mine, there was no transfer of employment as the new contractor stated that their own staff could cover the contract - then they recruited from the ex-council staff that had been made redundant.

You really don't have a choice as to whether you work for this particular employer or not, they are the ones doing all of the care work in your county, and the county next door, if you want to stay employed in the care industry and have a desire to actually CARE for your clients then you have to work for the new company.

Unless you understand how Home Help (for example) works then its probably difficult to understand the attitude that some of the employees have, they have a set routine and a set list of clients to visit, some of those dependent elderly and infirm may rely totally on their home help visit, for some it may be the only visit they get that week, for a few the home help is their only point of contact with the outside world and the only chance that some of them (for example) have to bathe that week - this is very basic stuff but vitally important for those "clients".

The last thing you want as a dependent is for your care worker to be limited to fifteen minutes per day and to arrive full of hell because they aren't being paid for the time to travel to you or for their petrol and vehicle costs, indeed they are having to pay to come and see you and the fact that you want a bath today and need helping in and out of it isn't going to make their mood any better when the 20 extra minutes they spend with you makes them late for their next client and is unpaid.

Quite frankly, its a disgrace and the sign of a society that doesn't give a fook about its elderly and infirm and anyone who is happy to go along with that deserves what is coming to them in the future.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1977_1349889235.jpg

Quote: JerryChicken "It ain't necessarily so <snip>'"

Absolutely spot on.

And re your concluding comment – eusa_clap.gif

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Ajw71 "The economy "won't pick up that much if at all between now and the next election".

The economy has picked up - 1.9% since your statement and you are becoming more and more wrong with every quarterly growth figure published. You do realise strong growth is predicted next year don't you?

Continuing to post that you don't think you were wrong is going to become more and more embarrassing for you and just shows you up for the doom mongering poster you are. To think you accuse me of having my head in the sand.

Why don't you just admit, like Blanchflower, that you were wrong?'"

"The economy won't not picked up by much if al"l. That is what I said above, yes you have read it?

So given the economy [ihas not picked up by much[/i, demonstrate to everyone the falsehood of my previous statement. Go on.

The fact is you can't and you need to realise while misrepresenting what someone said repeatedly may be a government tactic in the hope the lie will be believed but this is not the Daily Mail comment column and you are not getting away with it.

As to strong growth, define stroing growth. Will it for example get us back to where we were in 2008? What figure do you consider strong growth?

Will it come about by the rebalancing of the economy Osborne said was necessary that he has conveniently forgotten? Or will it come about as people empty savings and rush into debt on a house buying spree engineered by Osborne instead?

Or does none of that matter to you and all you are interested in is the raw statistics so you can indulge in a not very good attempt at point scoring?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member37704No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2051.jpg
The older I get, the better I was Advice is what we seek when we already know the answer - but wish we didn't I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full-frontal lobotomy ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ kirkstaller wrote: "All DNA shows is that we have a common creator." cod'ead wrote: "I have just snotted weissbier all over my keyboard & screen" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin." - Aneurin Bevan:2051.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "No one is forced to work here, '"

Of course not, they could easily get one of those care jobs that offer fully-expensed company cars and unlimited expense accounts that you thought was the norm.

The employer in question has been constantly looking to squeeze ever more out of his workers for less.

Yet another case of the real victims of austerity being those least able to resist it - the bloody working poor

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: JerryChicken "It ain't necessarily so, this business covers both Dorset and Hampshire social services areas contracted out to do the work that both of those regions would probably have handled in-house.

Now imagine that you are a care worker, a home help or similar, working for those local authorities only to be told that you are now redundant and that you can re-apply to this "Care" company for a position there, it happened in Leeds also by the way, to a friend of mine, there was no transfer of employment as the new contractor stated that their own staff could cover the contract - then they recruited from the ex-council staff that had been made redundant.

You really don't have a choice as to whether you work for this particular employer or not, they are the ones doing all of the care work in your county, and the county next door, if you want to stay employed in the care industry and have a desire to actually CARE for your clients then you have to work for the new company.

Unless you understand how Home Help (for example) works then its probably difficult to understand the attitude that some of the employees have, they have a set routine and a set list of clients to visit, some of those dependent elderly and infirm may rely totally on their home help visit, for some it may be the only visit they get that week, for a few the home help is their only point of contact with the outside world and the only chance that some of them (for example) have to bathe that week - this is very basic stuff but vitally important for those "clients".

The last thing you want as a dependent is for your care worker to be limited to fifteen minutes per day and to arrive full of hell because they aren't being paid for the time to travel to you or for their petrol and vehicle costs, indeed they are having to pay to come and see you and the fact that you want a bath today and need helping in and out of it isn't going to make their mood any better when the 20 extra minutes they spend with you makes them late for their next client and is unpaid.

Quite frankly, its a disgrace and the sign of a society that doesn't give a fook about its elderly and infirm and anyone who is happy to go along with that deserves what is coming to them in the future.'"

Spot on!
My gran was receiving home care a few years ago. Provided by the Council but she still had to pay, and it was contracted to a private company. For starters it doesn't help when the private company was changed 4 times in a 6 year period. My gran was in her late 80's/early 90's and the last thing she wanted was a change in her provider it just added to the confusion/hassle that an older person doesn't want. Especially when the quality wasn't any better each time.
She had severe arthritis in her hands (she used to work as a seamstress) which made picking up and holding even basic items like a remote control or a plate of food very difficult. In addition she had arthritis in both knees and one was very stiff/virtually immobile from a car accident (and the shoddy treatment she received) 30 years previously, so she struggled to walk without a zimmerframe. Fortunately she didn't suffer from dementia or alzheimers or any other kind of disease of the mind.
She needed carers to help get her up in the morning and make her some breakfast, somebody to make her some lunch, and somebody to make her some dinner in the evening. Also these carers needed to help her take the myriad of pills she was prescribed. Because of her fragility, bathing wasn't an option.
She was given, IIRC, 30 mins on a morning, 15 mins at lunch and 20 mins in the evening.
The first problem was that the "morning" visit was at around 10:30. Despite usually waking up around 8/8:30. So a 2 hour wait until anyone was there to help her up (she usually got up by herself despite warnings not to) and until she could have breakfast. The "Lunch" visit was set at around 3:30pm. Obviously well after she wanted lunch. The "Dinner" visit was then at 5pm. Only an hour and a half after lunch. So she wasn't hungry. Also have you tried making someone a dinner in 20 minutes? It doesn't end well.
Then of course there was the problem of the carers coming in, rushing every job they had to do and leaving 5-10 mins early so as to get to the next person in time.
Added on to having different carers (ie could be anyone from the firm, not a set carer) it just led to my gran getting more and more frustrated by the carers instead of being helped by them.
I'm not blaming the actual carers, not at all. They're doing what their company working practices encourage them to do.
I blame the companies and the Council's for employing them to provide substandard care.
Unfortunately everything about it was just frustrating and confusing for my gran. From the hassle of getting the care in the first place to the constant changes and reviews to the actual poor standard of care, it just led to my gran getting annoyed and my mother (who was the one having to organise and respond to everything) becoming exhausted from it all.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1978No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2023Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22483_1351031655.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_22483.jpg

Quote: DaveO ""The economy won't not picked up by much if al"l. That is what I said above, yes you have read it?

So given the economy [ihas not picked up by much[/i, demonstrate to everyone the falsehood of my previous statement. Go on.

'"

I already have. 1.9% growth since your statement...it's really not hard. Writing lines and lines doesn't make you somehow not wrong anymore.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1978No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2023Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22483_1351031655.jpg

Quote: Mintball "

The economy was in growth in 2010. The policies of the incoming government put paid to that and sent the country back into recession.

'"

Why do you keep repeating something that isn't true? Just bizarre.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1978No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2023Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22483_1351031655.jpg

Quote: JerryChicken "Not only did they re-write the stats FIFTEEN months later (it normally only takes six months for the ONS to get its revised figures together) but at the same time they also went back FIVE YEARS to re-write the stats for 2008 to make that recession look worse - that has to be unprecedented surely ?

Unprecedented in the action of revisiting those statistics over that time period (who ordered this to happen ?) but also unprecedented in assuming that the public are dumb enough to nod wisely and swallow the rhetoric that "None of this is our fault".'"

What are you saying JerryChicken? That the ONS is not a reliable source of data? That people who rely on them are using flawed statistics?

Him
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

Quote: Ajw71 "I already have. 1.9% growth since your statement...it's really not hard. Writing lines and lines doesn't make you somehow not wrong anymore.'"

The economy has not grown by 1.9% since DaveO's post. Why do you keep repeating something that isn't true?
Answered anyone else's questions yet?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1978No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2023Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22483_1351031655.jpg

Quote: Him "I'm sorry I thought you were suggesting the economy was recovering? It's not. Not yet.

'"

icon_surprised.gifops:

RankPostsTeam
International Star3605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67953_1341943970.jpg
Someday everything is gonna be different, when I paint my masterpiece ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://garykitchen.co.uk/:lnkxkae0]Online art gallery, selling original landscape artwork[/url:lnkxkae0] ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://jerrychicken.wordpress.com/:lnkxkae0]JerryChicken - The Blog[/url:lnkxkae0] ----------------------------------------------------------:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67953.jpg

Quote: Ajw71 "What are you saying JerryChicken? That the ONS is not a reliable source of data? That people who rely on them are using flawed statistics?'"

Nope, just that "someone" asked them to take another look at some stats that they had provisionally produced, then six months later confirmed in the normal course of things, then FIFTEEN months later revised so that they showed a different picture.

THEN they were asked to go back FIVE YEARS and change what they had previously provisionally released and six months later confirmed, in order to tell another different story.

Both of these actions are most unusual for the ONS who usually firm up their figures within two quarters and those figures get written into the history books.

Strange isn't it ?

Him
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

Quote: Ajw71 "
It wasn't then. But then you think the economy has grown by 1.9% since January. Tell me, would you compare the UK economy to Greece?

Got any answers? Or will you disappear again for a while?

723 posts in 49 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
723 posts in 49 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.16259765625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Shopping list for 2025
Hasbag
18m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
19m