FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Sin Bin > No More Arguments: Austerity is Working!
723 posts in 49 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman26578
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017Apr 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1408_1377158863.jpg
[url=http://tinyurl.com/xmaschoccy:3awnsnxa][img:3awnsnxa]http://imgur.com/dR3Vl.gif[/img:3awnsnxa][/url:3awnsnxa] [b:3awnsnxa][url=http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?type=3&campid=5335822080&toolid=10001&customid=sitcforum&ext=rugby+league&satitle=rugby+league:3awnsnxa]ebay's Rugby League Bargains[/url:3awnsnxa][/b:3awnsnxa] ¦ [b:3awnsnxa][url=http://pepperkorn.shauctions.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=CAP1:3awnsnxa]Boost Your eBay Sales[/url:3awnsnxa][/b:3awnsnxa] ¦ [b:3awnsnxa][url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=%26%2334%3Brugby%20league%26%2334%3B&tag=newrugbyleaguestore-21&index=blended&linkCode=ur2&camp=1634&creative=6738:3awnsnxa]Recommended Amazon Stuff[/url:3awnsnxa][/b:3awnsnxa] ¦ [b:3awnsnxa][url=http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2143305-10444737:3awnsnxa]Get a Free Ink Cart!!![/url:3awnsnxa][/b:3awnsnxa] ¦ [b:3awnsnxa][url=http://tinyurl.com/yettlvv:3awnsnxa]Quins RL T-Shirts, BRAND NEW DESIGNS[/url:3awnsnxa][/b:3awnsnxa]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1408.jpg

Quote: Lord Elpers "Meaningless to you because it shows the recovery denying pessimists to be wrong - Meaningful to the majority who see a brighter future.'"

Its meaningless because it quantifies nothing, I would guess that confidence has been the highest since 2007 a number of times this month already, unless you back it with real figures then it means nowt.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach362No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40606.jpg
:40606.jpg

Quote: JerryChicken "I hope you are right, however stats on earnings are, I believe, still largly derived from quarterly surveys of a selected range of businesses by the ONS, my business was one of them and indeed one of the questions was "Are you more optomistic" which in itself is pretty meaningless because you wouldn't be investing your own money, your house, and the family horse on something that you weren't optomistic with in the first place.

It always puzzled me why the ONS relied on a survey targeted at one specific employee within the business (a random sample but one that your stats had to be based on constantly after that) and not genuine monthly income tax returns, presumably the ONS never had access to those records and presumably HMRC still don't give them access - so we're stuck with a system that measures whatever you feel like putting on the form without ever having to prove what you've just written but with the threat over your head that if you don't send it back then it was a criminal offence.

Rather amusingly the person in my business that they selected as a sample was my brother and of course we always told the truth about his earnings and optomism.'"

The GfK-NOP consumer confidence index has been running since 1974 and is accepted and used as a barometer to show how the country is really feeling. It has been used in the past to highlight the public's worries during the recession.

You question the stats on earnings but again they are the same stats with the same methodology that Labour and the government critics have been using since 2010 to show earnings were below inflation. To now suggest these stats somehow are not vaild shows an argument that is also not valid.

If your business (or your brother's) is seeing not the benefits of the recovery and is still struggling, then it is in the minority of cases according to the stats and I hope things pick up for you. However if as you imply your brother has been pessimistic in completing his form when in fact he could have been optimistic, then this would mean the real situation is even better than I reported!

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach362No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40606.jpg

Quote: Big Graeme "Its meaningless because it quantifies nothing, I would guess that confidence has been the highest since 2007 a number of times this month already, unless you back it with real figures then it means nowt.'"

The GfK-NOP index has been running since 1974 and has been used since then to show the public's real feelings and show how optimistic or pessimistic they are feeling. As results are compared it gives a guide to show trends and has been accepted by business and government. As I said - meaningless to you perhaps but not to the majority.

If you had read all of my post you would have seen I did quote real figures which backed up the Gfk-NOP index.

Here is a few more facts for you.

1. The lastest quarterly rise in GDP of 0.8% takes us within a wisker (0.6%) of its pre-crisis peak.
2. If you exclude the declining North Sea oil and gas we are already 0.4% above the pre-crisis levels.
3. If you exclude financial services (which has seen a 21% drop in activity) the GDP is about 2% up on its pre-crisis peak.
4. The double-dip recession never happened let alone a triple one as spun by Ed 'I gave away our gold' Balls-Up.

Points 2 & 3 above show the economy is recovering across the board as it has almost overcome the huge handicap of an ongoing major decline in North Sea and Financial Services revenues which were no fault of this government. That it has taken longer than predicted is really understandable given that since 2010 we have also had the perilous euro crisis and an EU in recession to contend with as well.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member37704No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2051.jpg
The older I get, the better I was Advice is what we seek when we already know the answer - but wish we didn't I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full-frontal lobotomy ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ kirkstaller wrote: "All DNA shows is that we have a common creator." cod'ead wrote: "I have just snotted weissbier all over my keyboard & screen" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin." - Aneurin Bevan:2051.jpg

Quote: Lord Elpers "The GfK-NOP consumer confidence index has been running since 1974 and is accepted and used as a barometer to show how the country is really feeling. '"

There are many who would say the same about the Jeremy Vine Show

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12725
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: cod'ead "There are many who would say the same about the Jeremy Vine Show'"

More like the Jeremy Kyle Show since Thatcher and successive governments since have gone out of their way to create and nurture the underclass that they can now target this countries woes upon.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67953_1341943970.jpg
Someday everything is gonna be different, when I paint my masterpiece ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://garykitchen.co.uk/:lnkxkae0]Online art gallery, selling original landscape artwork[/url:lnkxkae0] ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://jerrychicken.wordpress.com/:lnkxkae0]JerryChicken - The Blog[/url:lnkxkae0] ----------------------------------------------------------:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67953.jpg

Quote: Lord Elpers "The GfK-NOP consumer confidence index has been running since 1974 and is accepted and used as a barometer to show how the country is really feeling. It has been used in the past to highlight the public's worries during the recession.

You question the stats on earnings but again they are the same stats with the same methodology that Labour and the government critics have been using since 2010 to show earnings were below inflation. To now suggest these stats somehow are not vaild shows an argument that is also not valid.

If your business (or your brother's) is seeing not the benefits of the recovery and is still struggling, then it is in the minority of cases according to the stats and I hope things pick up for you. However if as you imply your brother has been pessimistic in completing his form when in fact he could have been optimistic, then this would mean the real situation is even better than I reported!'"

My only point was that the ONS earnings stats always have been based on voluntary declaration of earnings of a random sample of employees with no requirement to prove them, the only threat made with the quarterley form being that if you don't return it you will be prosecuted - that in itself was always enough to get my back up.

The forms could be completed with entirely made-up numbers and no-one would ever know - quite why they couldn't just ask HMRC what the personal income tax receipts were like this month is beyond me.

As always I'm sceptical about all politicians and their lies but when you know that their "facts" rely on nothing more than unsubstantiated submissions from random samples then you learn to ignore them.

More worryingly in connection with my post a couple of pages ago was the announcement yesterday that people on JSA will not be allowed to turn down an offer of employment made on a zero hours contract and will be sanctioned if they do, proof that the zero hours issue is here for the long term as a viable and approved method of employment, fine if you're not affected (I'm not and no-one in my family is) but not a good place for anyone to find themselves if they have any plans for owning a house, a loan for a car, credit card, etc, etc.

As for my business, sold it in 2007 when the market was about to fall off the cliff, now work for the organisation that I sold out to and thinking about it as I don't have a contract of employment I suppose I am on a zero hour basis too... icon_lol.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach362No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40606.jpg

Quote: JerryChicken "My only point was that the ONS earnings stats always have been based on voluntary declaration of earnings of a random sample of employees with no requirement to prove them, the only threat made with the quarterley form being that if you don't return it you will be prosecuted - that in itself was always enough to get my back up.

The forms could be completed with entirely made-up numbers and no-one would ever know - quite why they couldn't just ask HMRC what the personal income tax receipts were like this month is beyond me.

All polls are based on samples which depend on the public being truthful. They do not pretend to be a science but show trends which usually prove to be reasonably accurate. Fortunately the majority of the British public are honest.

Quote: JerryChicken "As always I'm sceptical about all politicians and their lies but when you know that their "facts" rely on nothing more than unsubstantiated submissions from random samples then you learn to ignore them.

As against the lies of people like your brother.

Quote: JerryChicken "As for my business, sold it in 2007 when the market was about to fall off the cliff, now work for the organisation that I sold out to and thinking about it as I don't have a contract of employment I suppose I am on a zero hour basis too...

So when you state "my business" what you don't really mean that.

Is your brother still being selected to fill in the forms?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach22777
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Feb 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

//www.pngnrlbid.com [quote="bUsTiNyAbALLs":9q9d2t35]Do not converse with me you filthy minded deviant.[/quote:9q9d2t35] [quote="vastman":9q9d2t35]My rage isn't impotent luv, I'm frothing at the mouth actually.[/quote:9q9d2t35]:

Gone a bit quiet about the nonsense you made up about Barristers and the failings of austerity haven't you?

Busy with your other username?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach362No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40606.jpg

Quote: SmokeyTA "Gone a bit quiet about the nonsense you made up about Barristers and the failings of austerity haven't you?'"

Nothing more to say. I have stated my views and my practice doesn't do criminal work so not an expert in this area of law like your goodself.

However I note you have gone a bit quiet regarding all the good news of the George Osborne led recovery

Quote: SmokeyTA "Busy with your other username?'"

Which would that be then?

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner4195No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Apr 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Lord Elpers "Nothing more to say. I have stated my views and my practice doesn't do criminal work so not an expert in this area of law like your goodself.

'"

That's great. I challenged you as knowing bugger all about the criminal bar, and now you have admitted it.

Ironic that, given that you asked me to prove I had some knowledge of the area.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach362No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40606.jpg

Quote: The Video Ref "That's great. I challenged you as knowing bugger all about the criminal bar, and now you have admitted it.

Ironic that, given that you asked me to prove I had some knowledge of the area.'"

No. I do not believe I admitted to "knowing bugger all about the criminal bar". I said my legal practice does not do criminal work. Quite another matter.

And in any case these forums allow different opinions to be expressed. You have yours and I have mine.

Your inaccuracy and lack of precision rather indcates that your legal knowlege is recycled stuff from the internet -not a qualification accepted by the Bar Standards Board last time I looked.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman9721
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Apr 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5885-54zedonite-msnicons.jpg
regards and ENJOY your sport Leaguefan "The Public wants what the Public gets" - Paul Weller:icons077e_files/5885-54zedonite-msnicons.jpg

Elpers, like all Tories, admits nothing, casts assertions and can't back them up nor will he/she answer direct questions.
It's sad that the system has let these kind of people down.
Even sadder is they don't realise it has happened to them.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67953_1341943970.jpg
Someday everything is gonna be different, when I paint my masterpiece ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://garykitchen.co.uk/:lnkxkae0]Online art gallery, selling original landscape artwork[/url:lnkxkae0] ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://jerrychicken.wordpress.com/:lnkxkae0]JerryChicken - The Blog[/url:lnkxkae0] ----------------------------------------------------------:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67953.jpg

Quote: Lord Elpers "
As against the lies of people like your brother.

So when you state "my business" what you don't really mean that.

Is your brother still being selected to fill in the forms?'"

A couple of very strange responses there which don't really make any sense.

If the ONS are still writing to the Ltd Company then I wouldn't be surprised but since its six years since we wound it up then they may have realised by now that the mail is not being returned.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner4195No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Apr 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Here is another one for you Elpers:

A law firm spent 869 hours reviewing of CCTV on a serious case, only to be told that, owing to the perverse way criminal legal aid works, not a minute of the time was chargeable owing to the fact the evidence was provided on CD:

www.lawgazette.co.uk/5041180.art ... =GAZ090514

And this is why decent lawyers, in both of the main branches of the profession (solicitors and barristers) are leaving criminal law.

Soon it will be nothing more than a playground for trust-fund kids and those with wealthy spouses.
Here is another one for you Elpers:

A law firm spent 869 hours reviewing of CCTV on a serious case, only to be told that, owing to the perverse way criminal legal aid works, not a minute of the time was chargeable owing to the fact the evidence was provided on CD:

www.lawgazette.co.uk/5041180.art ... =GAZ090514

And this is why decent lawyers, in both of the main branches of the profession (solicitors and barristers) are leaving criminal law.

Soon it will be nothing more than a playground for trust-fund kids and those with wealthy spouses.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1978No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2023Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22483_1351031655.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_22483.jpg

723 posts in 49 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
723 posts in 49 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

3.3095703125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Round 27 HKR Away
His Bobness
Recent
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Once were Lo
Recent
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
The Reaper
Recent
Tom Johnstone
dboy
Recent
Wolves again
BigTime
Recent
Squads - Leopards v Saints
Deeeekos
Recent
Film game
Boss Hog
Recent
Le Cats at home - Los Alomos Custers Last Stand
UllFC
Recent
Tonights match v London
karetaker
Recent
Barrow
PopTart
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Wigan v Sts discussion - THIS THREAD ONLY PLEASE
The Reaper
58s
Wolves again
BigTime
1m
Recruitment rumours and links
Uncle Rico
1m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
Ex-Swarcliff
1m
Salford H Moved to Thursday
Jason65
1m
Planning for next season
Binosh
1m
Film game
Boss Hog
1m
Shopping list for 2025
DSJ1983
2m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
3m
Tom Johnstone
dboy
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Hull KR Secure Second With Victory Over Leeds
RLFANS News
TODAY
Tonights match v London
karetaker
TODAY
Wembley photo
AgbriggAmble
TODAY
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trophy By Thrashing Salford
RLFANS News
TODAY
Barrow
PopTart
TODAY
Holly Spurr Interview
JamieRobinso
TODAY
Wolves again
BigTime
TODAY
Academy Players Promoted to First Team Squad
Simba16
TODAY
Squads - Leopards v Saints
Deeeekos
TODAY
Round 27 HKR Away
His Bobness
TODAY
Squad for London
MorePlaymake
TODAY
Hull FC preview
Hessle Roade
TODAY
Halifax A
dddooommm
TODAY
East stand
PopTart
TODAY
Locations of League
Wollo-Wollo-
TODAY
Matt Parcell to leave at seasons end
Huddersfield
TODAY
Huddersfiels to get new stadium
RobRiches
TODAY
IMG
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
Leaving players
Murphy
TODAY
bulls on Sunday
Greg Florimo
TODAY
Concerts at Stadiums
Fantastic Mr
TODAY
Finn out Murrell in
faxcar
TODAY
Playoff Semi Final
MattyB
TODAY
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Highlander
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
Leeds Rhinos Ride Their Luck F..
Wigan Warriors Level Top As Ca..
Castleford Tigers Inflict Anot..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 3,203 ↑3280,12114,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R29
10:50
Sydney
v
Manly
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R27
15:00
Hull FC
v
Catalans
       Championship 2024-R27
18:00
Featherstone
v
Dewsbury
18:00
Widnes
v
Toulouse
19:30
Wakefield
v
Barrow
 TOMORROW
       Championship 2024-R27
Batley
v
Swinton
Halifax
v
Bradford
Swinton
v
Doncaster
       League One 2024-R24
Hunslet
v
Midlands
Keighley
v
Rochdale
 Fri 27th Sep
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R28
20:00
Salford
v
Leigh
 Sat 28th Sep
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R28
17:00
Warrington
v
St.Helens
       Championship 2024-R28
17:00
Toulouse
v
Batley
 Sun 29th Sep
       Championship 2024-R28
Barrow
v
Widnes
Bradford
v
Swinton
Dewsbury
v
Sheffield
Wakefield
v
Doncaster
Whitehaven
v
Halifax
York
v
Featherstone
 Sun 27th Oct 2024
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov 2024
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 21st Sep
SL
Hull FC-Catalans
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Fri 20th Sep
SL 27 Hull KR26-16Leeds
SL 27 Leigh18-12St.Helens
SL 27 Warrington54-0LondonB
CH 27 Sheffield24-26York
NRL 29 Cronulla26-18NQL Cowboys
Thu 19th Sep
SL 27 Huddersfield34-10Castleford
SL 27 Wigan64-0Salford
Sun 15th Sep
WSL2024 14 FeatherstoneW6-32York V
WSL2024 14 Hudds W36-0Wire W
CH 26 Barrow34-14Whitehaven
CH 26 Bradford16-14Batley
CH 26 Dewsbury16-28Swinton
CH 26 Doncaster30-14Widnes
CH 26 Featherstone6-20Sheffield
CH 26 Wakefield20-4York
NRL 28 Canterbury22-24Manly
L1 23 Midlands24-22Workington
L1 23 Rochdale30-18Hunslet
Sat 14th Sep
SL 26 Hull FC4-58Salford
SL 26 Catalans12-8LondonB
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 27 721 336 385 44
Hull KR 27 719 327 392 42
Warrington 27 738 319 419 40
Salford 27 550 547 3 32
Leigh 27 566 398 168 31
St.Helens 27 596 388 208 30

Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Catalans 26 451 423 28 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 26 324 870 -546 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 24 892 256 636 46
Bradford 24 618 373 245 32
Toulouse 23 662 340 322 31
York 26 639 463 176 28
Sheffield 25 618 498 120 28
Widnes 24 513 433 80 27

Featherstone 24 566 472 94 26
Doncaster 24 470 527 -57 23
Batley 24 378 513 -135 20
Halifax 24 475 617 -142 20