FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Sin Bin > Brexit Anyone ? (part 3)
1405 posts in 95 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50722.jpg

Quote: Cronus "Hmmm. I can't find a quote but I'm pretty positive he said he would 'vote against any deal the government brought to the table' at some point. In fact, Theresa May quoted the same today in PMQs, and such language in Parliament has to be accurate.'"

No - he said he would vote against Mrs May's deal - and that if she took the threat of no deal off the table, he would meet with her, which he duly did when she was forced to do so.

And if you believe that everything said in parliament is accurate, you're extremely naïve - that convention died a long time ago.

Mrs May will go to Brussels and get nothing meaningful - meanwhile, Labour has a perfectly workable plan which removes the need for a backstop, that the EU has already indicated it would support; and now, reports suggest that a group of senior Tories are saying the same thing. Quite how Mrs May would spin adopting Corbyn's position is difficult to imagine, but I'm sure the Daily Mail will help pitch it as a triumph or a victory or some other nonsense.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain783No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 20196 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2019May 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: bren2k "No - he said he would vote against Mrs May's deal - and that if she took the threat of no deal off the table, he would meet with her, which he duly did when she was forced to do so.

And if you believe that everything said in parliament is accurate, you're extremely naïve - that convention died a long time ago.

Mrs May will go to Brussels and get nothing meaningful - meanwhile, Labour has a perfectly workable plan which removes the need for a backstop, that the EU has already indicated it would support; and now, reports suggest that a group of senior Tories are saying the same thing. Quite how Mrs May would spin adopting Corbyn's position is difficult to imagine, but I'm sure the Daily Mail will help pitch it as a triumph or a victory or some other nonsense.'"

What workable plan do the "everybody out, up yours capitalism, go terrorists" party have?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach455No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: MGarbutt1986 "What workable plan do the "everybody out, up yours capitalism, go terrorists" party have?'"

I was thinking that myself, ive obviously missed something (no surprise there), the last plan I heard from Labour was that nothing was off the table. Oh they have said they want to take our biggest bargaining chip ":No Deal" off the table, which after 2 years is pretty poor, will google Labours position to see if they can find it.

I am traditionally a Labour voter and was made up when they didn't oppose triggering article 50, I even agreed when he said we should be in a customs union (not THE Customs Union) and at the time thought that Corbyn couldn't do right for doping wrong. But I now feel really let down.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12642
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33809.png

Quote: POSTL "I was thinking that myself, ive obviously missed something (no surprise there), the last plan I heard from Labour was that nothing was off the table. Oh they have said they want to take our biggest bargaining chip "

I think the key decisions for Labour are:

1. If May winds the clock down to a minute to midnight and ERG and DUP won’t support her, do Labour swing in behind her deal to avoid no deal? What can they extract for doing so, in terms of workers’ rights, environmental protections etc.? They also need to consider how badly the electorate would crucify them for saving us. Corbyn will not want to be the second coming of Nick Clegg.

2. Can they persuade May to risk splitting her party by accepting a customs union? Probably not, and I think ‘a customs arrangement’ vs ‘the customs union’ may be a distinction without much of a difference. However, it makes the backstop issue disappear, and business would be relieved.

One of the ironies of all this is that people to the left of centre (like me) are suddenly worried about big business, while the party of capital says f*** them - literally in Boris Johnson’s case. Funny old world.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4647
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50733_1530270912.jpg
[color=#000000:ogl9gbum]"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."[/color:ogl9gbum]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50733.jpg

Quote: Mild Rover "One of the ironies of all this is that people to the left of centre (like me) are suddenly worried about big business, while the party of capital says f*** them - literally in Boris Johnson’s case. Funny old world.'"

It's quite a role reversal, isn't it?!

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31838
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

Must say I’m struggling to see how “no deal” is a bargaining chip for us.

Corbyn’s problem is that his party is almost as divided as the Tories. Both leaders are frightened of losing the support of hard line Brexiters in their own party and amongst the electorate and they don’t have sufficient support to jump one way or the other. It means the whole thing is paralysed.

Apparently there’s no majority for no deal in Parliament but MPs can’t agree what to coalesce around as a compromise. The ERG are clearly nudging the process along with this in mind as it makes “no deal” more likely.

I can see an extension being applied for since more people now seem to think that there isn’t even time before 29 March to bring in required legislation for no deal now.

The only way out of this for me is a three way referendum to decide which version of leave we go for. May’s Deal, No Deal or Norway/Switzerland.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg

Quote: MGarbutt1986 "What workable plan do the "everybody out, up yours capitalism, go terrorists" party have?'"

I can see I'm debating with a finely honed political mind here... but nonetheless.

Labour's proposed deal with the EU is and always has been very clearly defined - they would seek to remain in the customs union and single market, because that safeguards jobs, the economy and rights and protections i.e consumer, employment, environment etc.

It removes the need for a backstop, doesn't pander to the xenophobic rush to end FoM, but still honours the result of the referendum; much like Mrs May's crappy deal, it doesn't give everyone everything they want, but since the events of the past 2 years have proven that there is no possible way of delivering a Brexit that does that, it is a plan that the EU can work with, and would probably command a majority in the HoC - and might have the added value of causing the odious JRM and Peter Bone to expire in their seats in a fit of apoplectic rage.

There you go - Brexit done; now we can move on to homelessness, NHS and social care funding crisis, the disaster that is UC, funding for schools, affordable housing etc etc.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12642
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33809.png

Quote: Bullseye "Must say I’m struggling to see how “no deal” is a bargaining chip for us.'"

It is a bit like threatening to stab yourself in the neck and reminding others that their clothes will be ruined by the arterial splatter, imo.

Quote: Bullseye "May’s Deal, No Deal or Norway/Switzerland.'"

I read somewhere that the EU feels it dropped the ball on their deal with Switzerland. I can't remember why. Which is maybe why it isn't mentioned often.

We do now, finally, somehow need to make a choice. And tbh, I think it needs to be in parliament at this stage.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12642
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png

Quote: bren2k "I can see I'm debating with a finely honed political mind here... but nonetheless.

Labour's proposed deal with the EU is and always has been very clearly defined - they would seek to remain in the customs union and single market, because that safeguards jobs, the economy and rights and protections i.e consumer, employment, environment etc.

It removes the need for a backstop, doesn't pander to the xenophobic rush to end FoM, but still honours the result of the referendum; much like Mrs May's crappy deal, it doesn't give everyone everything they want, but since the events of the past 2 years have proven that there is no possible way of delivering a Brexit that does that, it is a plan that the EU can work with, and would probably command a majority in the HoC - and might have the added value of causing the odious JRM and Peter Bone to expire in their seats in a fit of apoplectic rage.

There you go - Brexit done; now we can move on to homelessness, NHS and social care funding crisis, the disaster that is UC, funding for schools, affordable housing etc etc.'"

I'd vote for that every day and twice on Sunday. However, it is a BRINO and it'd be more than just JRM, my own MP Andrew Bridgen and Bone who'd be angered. We really are screwed every which way.

For me, May's deal with some carved-in-stone guarantees on Labour priorities and everybody (well, enough bodies) swallowing their reservations on the backstop (which does leave us in a weak position for the next stage, I accept) is the best escape route. Best still doesn't necessarily equate to likely or good though, unfortunately.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17139No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

Quote: bren2k "
now we can move on to homelessness, NHS and social care funding crisis, the disaster that is UC, funding for schools, affordable housing etc etc.'"

Yes, all those things the EU & their pesky rules are responsible for causing.....

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg

Quote: Mild Rover "I'd vote for that every day and twice on Sunday. However, it is a BRINO and it'd be more than just JRM, my own MP Andrew Bridgen and Bone who'd be angered. We really are screwed every which way.

For me, May's deal with some carved-in-stone guarantees on Labour priorities and everybody (well, enough bodies) swallowing their reservations on the backstop (which does leave us in a weak position for the next stage, I accept) is the best escape route. Best still doesn't necessarily equate to likely or good though, unfortunately.'"

As would I - and whilst lots of people wouldn't like it, I'd suggest that there would be no more of them than there are people who don't like the current offering; the only difference is that May is, on paper, in the box seat due to being in power (sort of) - hence Labour's longstanding plan that they would, if possible, go for a GE first.

Nonetheless, if she comes back with the same plan with some woolly assurances about the backstop, the HoC will reject it again; at which point, she'd be crazy not to go for a softer, Labour style deal, which will still technically be Brexit, but would a) protect us from the worst economic damage and b) would command a majority in the HoC. I couldn't care less who doesn't like it - just as the Brextremists wouldn't if they got their way.

The message now seems to be "just get on with it" - and the only sensible way to do that, is with a soft Brexit that most MP's can get behind - then it's up to them to justify to their constituents that they honoured the result, whilst protecting the UK from the economic damage of a hard Brexit or no deal.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach455No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: bren2k "I can see I'm debating with a finely honed political mind here... but nonetheless.

There you go - Brexit done; now we can move on to homelessness, NHS and social care funding crisis, the disaster that is UC, funding for schools, affordable housing etc etc.'"

It was said by both sides during the referendum debate that we will not be able to stay in THE customs union or the single market if we leave the EU. The EU has also confirmed we cannot cherry pick and stay in the customs union and single market without also having freedom of movement. I actually thought that Labour were now saying that we must be in A customs Union, which I agree with. That is why all these alternatives, Norway, Canada etc have been banded around.

If we stay in the customs union how can we have any imput from outside the EU

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg

Quote: POSTL "It was said by both sides during the referendum debate that we will not be able to stay in THE customs union or the single market if we leave the EU. The EU has also confirmed we cannot cherry pick and stay in the customs union and single market without also having freedom of movement. I actually thought that Labour were now saying that we must be in A customs Union, which I agree with. That is why all these alternatives, Norway, Canada etc have been banded around.

If we stay in the customs union how can we have any imput from outside the EU'"

If THE customs unions and single market is the starting position - there is nothing to stop the final deal being A customs union and 'close alignment' to the SM; it still avoids the backstop, and is a better situation both for the EU migrants that facts have shown we need and benefit from, and UK citizens who live and work in the EU.

You're right that the sticking point is trade deals with other countries under that arrangement; the EU have been flexible in the cases of Turkey and some other countries, but I guess the argument would be about the UK having a "say" in trade deals - exactly what a "say" would mean in legal and political terms, would need to be hashed out as part of a negotiation.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach455No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: bren2k "If THE customs unions and single market is the starting position - there is nothing to stop the final deal being A customs union and 'close alignment' to the SM; it still avoids the backstop, and is a better situation both for the EU migrants that facts have shown we need and benefit from, and UK citizens who live and work in the EU.

You're right that the sticking point is trade deals with other countries under that arrangement; the EU have been flexible in the cases of Turkey and some other countries, but I guess the argument would be about the UK having a "say" in trade deals - exactly what a "say" would mean in legal and political terms, would need to be hashed out as part of a negotiation.'"

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12642
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png

If we get stuck in the backstop, do we get the three freedoms most of our electorate likes, while binning off the one most of it dislikes? Sounds like a good deal!

Fair enough, Liam Fox won't get to jet off to secure us all those amazing trade deals that the EU are unable to get because of reasons. And we'll be bound by rules set by the EU, while not having any representation and I guess we'll continue paying some money in.

1405 posts in 95 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
1405 posts in 95 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

4.31201171875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Transfer Talk V5
ArthurClues
7m
Grand Final Squad
apollosghost
13m
Play-off semi-final
REDWHITEANDB
16m
Oli Leyland confirmed 2 year deal
Winslade's O
20m
Recruitment rumours and links
Oxford Exile
34m
Play-off Semi Final Toulouse A
MicktheGled
37m
Accounts
Tony Fax
56m
Finn out Murrell in
Tony Fax
57m
George Hirst
Phuzzy
Recent
Film game
Boss Hog
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Play-off semi-final
REDWHITEANDB
48s
MicktheGled
49s
Winslade's O
1m
IN 2025 Jake Connor - Expires 2026
Seth
1m
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
1m
Grand final Tickets
endoman
2m
New Players
Deadcowboys1
2m
OUT 2025 Leon Ruan - Released
chapylad
2m
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Grand Final
Mr Snoodle
3m
IN 2025 Keenan Palasia - Expires 2026
BigRoy
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Grand Final Squad
apollosghost
TODAY
Kit for Saturday
Pie Eyed
TODAY
George Hirst
Phuzzy
TODAY
Player of the Season 2024
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Released Players List
Jemmo
TODAY
IN 2025 Jake Connor - Expires 2026
Seth
TODAY
Has anyone got any idea what is going on
jbuzza
TODAY
Awards
The Avenger
TODAY
dan russell confirmed 2 year contract
Wires71
TODAY
MicktheGled
TODAY
2025 Catalans Dragons Kit
Jimmythecuck
TODAY
Winslade's O
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Grand Final
Mr Snoodle
TODAY
Transfer Talk V5
ArthurClues
TODAY
OUT 2025 Leon Ruan - Released
chapylad
TODAY
IN 2025 Cooper Jenkins - Expires 2026
christopher
TODAY
Search Sexy Girls from your city for night - Authentic Damse
excruciating
TODAY
IN 2025 Keenan Palasia - Expires 2026
BigRoy
TODAY
2024 Southstandercom Prediction Competition Grand Final
FoxyRhino
TODAY
York Valkyrie Win Back to Back Grand Finals
RLFANS News
TODAY
NRL
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
Penrith Panthers Secure Fourth Consecutive Title
RLFANS News
TODAY
Seeking favourite images from grounds - past or present
retrosports
TODAY
Grand final Tickets
endoman
TODAY
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
Wildthing
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
York Valkyrie Win Back to Back..
Hunslet Book Relegation Play O..
Penrith Panthers Secure Fourth..
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Gran..
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M +23,171 80,13414,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Sat 12th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R30
18:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Sun 13th Oct
       Championship 2024-R30
15:00
Swinton
v
Hunslet
Wakefield
v
York
17:00
Toulouse
v
Bradford
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sat 12th Oct
SL
18:00
Hull KR-Wigan
Sun 13th Oct
CH
Swinton-Hunslet
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 6th Oct
L1 26 Keighley6-20Hunslet
CH 29 Bradford25-12Featherstone
WSL2024 16 York V18-8St.HelensW
NRL 31 Melbourne6-14Penrith
Sat 5th Oct
CH 29 York27-10Widnes
SL 29 Wigan38-0Leigh
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 28 759 336 423 46
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 29 580 442 138 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Bradford 27 703 399 304 36
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
York 28 682 479 203 32
Widnes 27 561 502 59 29
Featherstone 27 634 525 109 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22