JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22575.gif
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs.":22575.gif

Quote: Sal Paradise "I think most would suggest the waste in the NHS is huge as is the abuse of the service by its customers. '"
You've said this about "abuse" before, it's been challenged before and you didn't explain what you meant. Please can you do so this time? The "waste" doesn't stand up to much scrutiny either - like many nationalised industries it's ridiculously lean.

Quote: Sal Paradise "The question is are we all willing to be taxed higher to support it or would we better investing in insurance to get treatment when we want it outside of the service?'"
I certainly would support higher taxes, and I imagine most of the public is as well. Certainly compared to making people go down the insurance route which is a profoundly unpopular with the British public - and would cost significantly more. I can't see any benefit to it apart from an ideological one.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4647
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50733_1530270912.jpg
[color=#000000:ogl9gbum]"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."[/color:ogl9gbum]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50733.jpg

Some also voted leave to reduce immigration from the EU hoping we'd take more immigration from Asia and Africa. Some also voted leave to 'raise the drawbridge'. My feelings are that Patel is of the latter group.

That's the problem with a binary referendum where the unknown is anybody's guess. It means so many different things to so many different people. It's why Johnson's "get Brexit done" is a complete fantasy. What does 'done' actually look like? What does controlled immigration look like? Is it one in one out? Do we only invite people when there are job vacancies to fill? Do Russian oligarchs count, or is that not immigration?

I know one thing for certain. We'll still be debating what controlled immigration looks like in 5, 10, 25 years time.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif
:12389.gif

Quote: King Street Cat "Some also voted leave to reduce immigration from the EU hoping we'd take more immigration from Asia and Africa.'"

Utter rubbish. Don't make things up.

Quote: King Street Cat "My feelings are that Patel is of the latter group.'"

Which is exactly the opposite of what she (and other Tories) said today.

Quote: King Street Cat "That's the problem with a binary referendum where the unknown is anybody's guess. It means so many different things to so many different people. It's why Johnson's "get Brexit done" is a complete fantasy. What does 'done' actually look like? What does controlled immigration look like? Is it one in one out? Do we only invite people when there are job vacancies to fill? Do Russian oligarchs count, or is that not immigration?

I know one thing for certain. We'll still be debating what controlled immigration looks like in 5, 10, 25 years time.'"

It's quite simple. We allow people who are needed to move here. We look at essential jobs gaps, assess whether they can be filled within the UK and if not, offer them out on a points-based system. Plenty of other countries have robust immigration policies like this in place, yet for some odd reason it's a problem when we suggest it for the UK.

We don't let anyone who thinks the UK looks like a cushty place to move, settle here - which is what is basically happening right now and simply cannot continue. A basic grasp of global geopolitical and climate events will explain why.

The rich will always move where they like, because they are rich. That's just how it is, and how it has always been. But they're not really the issue.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Cronus "Utter rubbish. Don't make things up.

Which is exactly the opposite of what she (and other Tories) said today.

It's quite simple. We allow people who are needed to move here. We look at essential jobs gaps, assess whether they can be filled within the UK and if not, offer them out on a points-based system. Plenty of other countries have robust immigration policies like this in place, yet for some odd reason it's a problem when we suggest it for the UK.

We don't let anyone who thinks the UK looks like a cushty place to move, settle here - which is what is basically happening right now and simply cannot continue. A basic grasp of global geopolitical and climate events will explain why.

The rich will always move where they like, because they are rich. That's just how it is, and how it has always been. But they're not really the issue.'"

I usually think that, whether I agree or disagree with your posts, you usually put forward well reasoned comments.
However, the whole immigration issue is just bloody toxic.

Personally, as long as people wanting to come to the UK are fundamentally decent people, who are happy to work (reasonably) hard and make a contribution to our society, there shouldn't be a "points" system.

It's a little like chucking people on the scrap heap because they dont have 8 GCSE's and a couple of A levels.
We should be looking beyond bits of paper and certificates.

Also, you rubbish the point about a particular section of the electorate voting Brexit, in order to try and improve the chances of increasing immigration from elsewhere, really ?? Sorry but, on this issue you are just wrong.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif

Quote: wrencat1873 "I usually think that, whether I agree or disagree with your posts, you usually put forward well reasoned comments.
However, the whole immigration issue is just bloody toxic.

Personally, as long as people wanting to come to the UK are fundamentally decent people, who are happy to work (reasonably) hard and make a contribution to our society, there shouldn't be a "points" system.

It's a little like chucking people on the scrap heap because they dont have 8 GCSE's and a couple of A levels.
We should be looking beyond bits of paper and certificates.'"

How do you test if they are 'fundamentally decent people'? You can't. It's a ridiculous suggestion. So you rely on other measures.

QuestionAlso, you rubbish the point about a particular section of the electorate voting Brexit, in order to try and improve the chances of increasing immigration from elsewhere, really ?? Sorry but, on this issue you are just wrong.'"

So you think non-EU immigrants voted Brexit to reduce EU immigration so non-EU immigration could increase? Just saying I'm wrong doesn't make it so. Prove to me that a significant number voted tactically in this way. Not just hearsay or some statistically irrelevant percentage: show me solid evidence.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain423No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20195 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2020Jan 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77840_1575561662.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_77840.jpg

Quote: Cronus "Immigration is only toxic if you make it so - which is what the left do without fail if anyone questions immigration.'"

I'll just leave this here

RankPostsTeam
International Star4091No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201410 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2022Nov 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Sal Paradise "I think most would suggest the waste in the NHS is huge as is the abuse of the service by its customers. Perhaps a reduction of both would help the funds go further. The question is are we all willing to be taxed higher to support it or would we better investing in insurance to get treatment when we want it outside of the service?'"

The NHS is incredibly efficient but underfunded, please evidence the so called waste and abuse.

Only the richest 5% (earning more than £80,000) will pay slightly more tax under Labour, and corporations whose tax will go to 26% which is very reasonable and will still be taxed at a lower rate than France and Germany, when Labour reverse some of their tax cuts.

RankPostsTeam
International Star4647
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50733_1530270912.jpg
[color=#000000:ogl9gbum]"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."[/color:ogl9gbum]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50733.jpg

Quote: Cronus "Utter rubbish. Don't make things up.'"

Don't you remember Priti Patel's pre-referendum message to “save our curry houses”?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politic ... 1.html?amp

Then 3 years later, the anger at the lie.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... t-industry
Quote: Cronus "Utter rubbish. Don't make things up.'"

Don't you remember Priti Patel's pre-referendum message to “save our curry houses”?

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/politic ... 1.html?amp

Then 3 years later, the anger at the lie.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... t-industry

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3092No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2023Feb 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22575.gif
"Brian McDermott, with a wry smile, nods when asked if he remembers a specific incident which made him realise he was a prick. 'I do', he murmurs.":22575.gif

Quote: Cronus " without even considering our increasing elderly population and the vastly higher birth rates of most immigrant '"

Amazing you accuse other people of being stupid yet you can't understand the link between A and B here.

RankPostsTeam
International Star15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50722.jpg

The immigration stuff is a desperate attempt to energise the Tory base of racists and xenophobes - and it appears to be having some effect.

Priti Patel's announcement was much ado about nothing - but it had enough anti-immigrant sentiment to draw out those people for whom it is a massive issue; and despite that, as ever, the issues facing the UK are everything to do with swingeing cuts to public services, and nothing at all to do with immigrants, who any fule kno, make a net contribution to the economy and are more likely to work in the NHS, than use it.

We need immigration - not least to counter the twin phenomenon of ageing population and falling birth rates, and I can't wait to see the reaction of the racist gammon when they see that in a post-Brexit, swashbuckling free trade world, those countries we want free trade deals with will insist that visas are part of the package; so whilst EU migration may reduce, there'll be lots more black and brown people, which will really boil their pi$$.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: AXE2GRIND "I'll just leave this here
'"

Yeah, Farage has always been a Marxist.
He and his friends certainly helped make immigration toxic though.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Cronus "How do you test if they are 'fundamentally decent people'? You can't. It's a ridiculous suggestion. So you rely on other measures.

Question

It's interesting that we have a different take on this, probably due to our political differences, although I'm not 100% certain.
I do actually agree that there has to be some control on free movement, which has only become a major factor since the inclusion of some of the old Eastern Bolc Nations, whose economies are significantly weaker than those countries that have been members of the EU for30+ years and although the "freedom of movement" has been a fundamental pillar of membership of the EU, the disparity in wealth between the older member nations and some of the more recent additions needed to be handled differently.
Of course, over time, the gap in wealth will reduce and the clamour to come to the UK, Germany, France will stagnate and then reverse.

The attempted clamp down on controlled immigration hasn't worked and we now have more people arriving from outside the EU than from within it so and this on it's own is significantly higher than the governments "new" target for controlled immigration, which would suggest that a long line of home secretaries have either been incompetent or just wishful thinkers.

You are right to point towards creaking public services. However, you are wrong to blame this on EU immigration.
We've had 10+ years of austerity, cutting every public service to the bone and I suggest that THIS is the real reason for your creaking public services but, of course, the narrative of blaming someone else, especially immigrants, is rather more palatable than admitting that austerity cut have largely been to blame for most of the difficulties.

As for some of the ethnic groups voting Brexit to try and help improve the chances of their families coming over from Asia, I dont know if these figures exist. However, as you are aware, I'm pretty keen to absorb as much information as possible on the Brexit issue and I'm happy to put this forward as being correct.

If I'm wrong on this, I will happily hold my hands up and admit it but, I dont believe this will be necessary

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif

Quote: AXE2GRIND "I'll just leave this here
'"

That's an interesting one.

A genuine picture from the Slovenian border during the crisis of 2015 - shortly after Angela Merkel announced she would open Germany's borders.

In the words of rlJeff Mitchellrl, the photographer who took this shot, the Slovenians were utterly unprepared and it was literally a flood; thousands upon thousands arriving on train after train..."it was endless"..."a conveyor belt".

He tells us it was mainly Syrians, but many Afghans, Turks and others, almost without exception young men, almost all heading for Germany. No checks, no borders.

That's also what Farage tells us. His attack is aimed directly at the EU for failing to manage this crisis; for Merkel inviting this influx. There is nothing about the poster and the issue which is inaccurate or untrue.

It was crude, it was crass - the image is of course inflammatory, but it's a genuine image from the actual crisis - but the problem is (to borrow a line) [iwe can't handle the truth[/i. Our politicians, media and left-wing jumped on it in a hostile attack, an opportunity to cry outrage and attack Farage (I'm not particularly a fan, BTW) - and it became even more a toxic issue. Never mind that he showed us the true situation, that doesn't matter, it was too blunt for our delicate sheltered Western minds.

I dare say some snowflakes will find my comments above outrageous because "racism though".

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif

Quote: King Street Cat "Don't you remember Priti Patel's pre-referendum message to “save our curry houses”?

5.2177734375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Shareholders Meeting
Scarlet Pimp
Recent
Bulls Accounts up to Nov 2023
Blotto
FORUM
LAST