JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67953_1341943970.jpg
Someday everything is gonna be different, when I paint my masterpiece ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://garykitchen.co.uk/:lnkxkae0]Online art gallery, selling original landscape artwork[/url:lnkxkae0] ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://jerrychicken.wordpress.com/:lnkxkae0]JerryChicken - The Blog[/url:lnkxkae0] ----------------------------------------------------------:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67953.jpg

Just by coincidence a link to this rlhttp://kielderobservatory.org/rl popped up on my Facebook page today, its a hell of a drive from Cornwall but if you're ever in the area...

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Well I have been toying with the idea of getting a telescope for a while but with a view to getting into Astro-Photography and mounting my d-slr on the end of it.

So I would need a 'scope that has one of those clever mounts that can track the movement of the night Sky for the long exposures.

No idea what kind of price range or models to go for so if we have any experts on here I'd be interested on any feedback about that.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member3569No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2014Nov 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1720.jpg
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" – -- Unknown [img:1sjexlk8]http://www.science.co.il/images/flags/israel/israel-54x36.gif[/img:1sjexlk8]:1720.jpg

will do Minty.

Maybe next year Jerry.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman28357
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

I think if you buy the LIDL scope you may well be very disappointed. I would go for better and bigger than that.

If your budget is roundabout those figures then IMHO you'd be far, far better off buying a decent pair of binoculars with a tripod attachment and a sturdy solid tripod. I mean astro binos - that is, they look like big fekk-off binos, the point is a) the bigger the lens, the more light they gatehr and b) the bigger they are, the heavier. Binos are almost impossible to use for any observing without a tripod, and a solid one at that. Lightweight tripods WILL NOT WORK with either binos or a scope, you will just get wobbling and vibrations and will be instantly put off.

The views from reasonable astro binos can be spectacular. Those from cheap telescopes are probaly the biggest reason why beginners quickly give up as
a) they can't see anything (Moon excepted) b) they can't find anything (c) when they do find something, eg Jupiter, if they can get a decentish view at high magnification, the target just quickly leaves the field of view as the earth rotates.

Honestly, with a cheap scope, and limited knowledge, you will get quickly fed up as you will struggle to find anything. Really, trust me on this.

What a beginner needs is probably what they won't get; namely a scope of at least 4", a heavy tripod, a good self-aligning system, and a computerised drive to find things.

rather than talk to you about specific telescope s I will point out the drawbacks, and then finish off by telling you exactly how to avoid them all.

Drawbacks:
When you take your telescope out, the following is required:

1. A flat pitch and to ensure that the tripod mount is perfectly level. That is harder than it sounds, especially on a cold night

2. Alignment. You will need to align the scope so that a vertical line from the centre of the mount points directly at the North celestial pole. Polaris, the pole star, is pretty near to it. Once aligned, then at least as the stars/planets move, you can swing the scope around on the same fixed plane, keeping targets in view.

Motorised scopes have varying standards of alignment, but all are far better than trying to DIY.

3. Finding objects. This is HARD. You need to know
a) what you want to see
b) exactly where it is
c) how to point your scope exactly in that direction
d) that you have found it!
e) then, keeping it in your eyepice as you observe it (because everything moves, all the time)

Motorised scopes take care of this for you. If properly aligned, then the scope will stay fixed on whatever you are pointing at. (Because it will rotate at the same speed as the view)

So, a motorised go-to scope has a hand controller, having aligned the scope, you just tell the hand controller what you want to look at, and off it goes and finds it for you.

i would say the worst things about this type of LIDL scope are probably not the scope itself, but people's expectations. It's not like the glossy colour images in the magazines, and while stargazing with a scope sounds wonderful (and really is!) it's crap if you don't know what to look at, and/or can't find anything.

Your solution, and something you really must do, is find out where and when your local astronomical society meets, and just turn up. This way you will find a bunch of people who will fall over themselves to help you, you'll get the chance to see all their kit and everyone will let you 'have a go'; you can't beat "hands on" experience and knowledgeable and enthusiastic "teachers". Also (and here's a great tip) they will always know of decent scopes for sale at a decent price (amateur astronomers are suckers for buying kit) and it will be a proper scope based on what suits your needs.

Best thing - as winter sets in, it really is the best time to take up stargazing - many months of excellent viewing ahead before the nights start to get shorter.

www.skyatnightmagazine.com/yourfirstscope
I think if you buy the LIDL scope you may well be very disappointed. I would go for better and bigger than that.

If your budget is roundabout those figures then IMHO you'd be far, far better off buying a decent pair of binoculars with a tripod attachment and a sturdy solid tripod. I mean astro binos - that is, they look like big fekk-off binos, the point is a) the bigger the lens, the more light they gatehr and b) the bigger they are, the heavier. Binos are almost impossible to use for any observing without a tripod, and a solid one at that. Lightweight tripods WILL NOT WORK with either binos or a scope, you will just get wobbling and vibrations and will be instantly put off.

The views from reasonable astro binos can be spectacular. Those from cheap telescopes are probaly the biggest reason why beginners quickly give up as
a) they can't see anything (Moon excepted) b) they can't find anything (c) when they do find something, eg Jupiter, if they can get a decentish view at high magnification, the target just quickly leaves the field of view as the earth rotates.

Honestly, with a cheap scope, and limited knowledge, you will get quickly fed up as you will struggle to find anything. Really, trust me on this.

What a beginner needs is probably what they won't get; namely a scope of at least 4", a heavy tripod, a good self-aligning system, and a computerised drive to find things.

rather than talk to you about specific telescope s I will point out the drawbacks, and then finish off by telling you exactly how to avoid them all.

Drawbacks:
When you take your telescope out, the following is required:

1. A flat pitch and to ensure that the tripod mount is perfectly level. That is harder than it sounds, especially on a cold night

2. Alignment. You will need to align the scope so that a vertical line from the centre of the mount points directly at the North celestial pole. Polaris, the pole star, is pretty near to it. Once aligned, then at least as the stars/planets move, you can swing the scope around on the same fixed plane, keeping targets in view.

Motorised scopes have varying standards of alignment, but all are far better than trying to DIY.

3. Finding objects. This is HARD. You need to know
a) what you want to see
b) exactly where it is
c) how to point your scope exactly in that direction
d) that you have found it!
e) then, keeping it in your eyepice as you observe it (because everything moves, all the time)

Motorised scopes take care of this for you. If properly aligned, then the scope will stay fixed on whatever you are pointing at. (Because it will rotate at the same speed as the view)

So, a motorised go-to scope has a hand controller, having aligned the scope, you just tell the hand controller what you want to look at, and off it goes and finds it for you.

i would say the worst things about this type of LIDL scope are probably not the scope itself, but people's expectations. It's not like the glossy colour images in the magazines, and while stargazing with a scope sounds wonderful (and really is!) it's crap if you don't know what to look at, and/or can't find anything.

Your solution, and something you really must do, is find out where and when your local astronomical society meets, and just turn up. This way you will find a bunch of people who will fall over themselves to help you, you'll get the chance to see all their kit and everyone will let you 'have a go'; you can't beat "hands on" experience and knowledgeable and enthusiastic "teachers". Also (and here's a great tip) they will always know of decent scopes for sale at a decent price (amateur astronomers are suckers for buying kit) and it will be a proper scope based on what suits your needs.

Best thing - as winter sets in, it really is the best time to take up stargazing - many months of excellent viewing ahead before the nights start to get shorter.

www.skyatnightmagazine.com/yourfirstscope

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif
Last edited by Ferocious Aardvark on stardate Jun 26, 3013 11:27 am, edited 48,562,867,458,300,023 times in total:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_973.gif

Quote: DaveO "Well I have been toying with the idea of getting a telescope for a while but with a view to getting into Astro-Photography and mounting my d-slr on the end of it.

So I would need a 'scope that has one of those clever mounts that can track the movement of the night Sky for the long exposures.

No idea what kind of price range or models to go for so if we have any experts on here I'd be interested on any feedback about that.'"

read this
www.skyatnightmagazine.com/astro ... lete-guide
Job done!
Quote: DaveO "Well I have been toying with the idea of getting a telescope for a while but with a view to getting into Astro-Photography and mounting my d-slr on the end of it.

No idea what kind of price range or models to go for so if we have any experts on here I'd be interested on any feedback about that.'"

read this
www.skyatnightmagazine.com/astro ... lete-guide
Job done!

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14845No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
143_1357419061.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_143.jpg

I agree with FA that it is very difficult to locate stars etc with such a telescope without automated location. I haven't tried it yet but I would guess a bird watching spotting 'scope would be easier. Although magnification may only be c. 60x optical quality is likely to be better and the image the right way up.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif

No, a birdwatching scope has very little light gathering ability yet that's what you really need.
Image right way up isn't a problem. Also, you're gonna have a really limited field of view, again not much use.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member3569No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2014Nov 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1720.jpg
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion" – -- Unknown [img:1sjexlk8]http://www.science.co.il/images/flags/israel/israel-54x36.gif[/img:1sjexlk8]:1720.jpg

cheers FA. I ll take that on board

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13190No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

'when my life is over, the thing which will have given me greatest pride is that I was first to plunge into the sea, swimming freely underwater without any connection to the terrestrial world' Yves Le Prieur, the real inventor of the aqualung:

Quote: JerryChicken "Just by coincidence a link to this rlhttp://kielderobservatory.org/rl popped up on my Facebook page today, its a hell of a drive from Cornwall but if you're ever in the area...'"

They do regular stargazing/photography camps there, looking at going to do some Milky Way shots next year.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif

Cornwall info

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach304No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Apr 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22994_1314893871.gif
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_22994.gif

Thanks for the great advice FA (I know it was directed at another user, but I, as a complete newbie, found it very useful). After looking at the sites mentioned, plus a bit of other research, I bought a SkyWatcher Evo 90mm with an AZ3 mount on Friday. Took it out last night and was absolutely amazed by what I could see - I must have spent at least 2 hours just following Jupiter around the sky. Completely hooked already.....cheers again.

RankPostsTeam
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
973_1515165968.gif

Quote: Chairman Miaow "Thanks for the great advice FA (I know it was directed at another user, but I, as a complete newbie, found it very useful). After looking at the sites mentioned, plus a bit of other research, I bought a SkyWatcher Evo 90mm with an AZ3 mount on Friday. Took it out last night and was absolutely amazed by what I could see - I must have spent at least 2 hours just following Jupiter around the sky. Completely hooked already.....cheers again.'"

Excellent.

Jupiter is superb just now, and one way to waste a bunch of time is viewing its moons. For which have a looky here:
www.astronomynow.com/javascript/ ... moons.html
Quote: Chairman Miaow "Thanks for the great advice FA (I know it was directed at another user, but I, as a complete newbie, found it very useful). After looking at the sites mentioned, plus a bit of other research, I bought a SkyWatcher Evo 90mm with an AZ3 mount on Friday. Took it out last night and was absolutely amazed by what I could see - I must have spent at least 2 hours just following Jupiter around the sky. Completely hooked already.....cheers again.'"

Excellent.

Jupiter is superb just now, and one way to waste a bunch of time is viewing its moons. For which have a looky here:
www.astronomynow.com/javascript/ ... moons.html

21 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
21 posts in 2 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.4951171875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
4m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
4m