FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Sin Bin > Brexit Anyone ? (part 3)
1405 posts in 95 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: POSTL "When you say the Turkeys voted for Christmas, who are the Turkeys ??'"

In the context of Brexit, the Turkeys are leave voters, who IMO have voted for a bleaker future (for all of us)

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach455No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wrencat1873 "In the context of Brexit, the Turkeys are leave voters, who IMO have voted for a bleaker future (for all of us)'"

Thats typical because I voted to leave I'm a turkey, have I categorised you for voting remain ??.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif
:12389.gif

I'd just like to congratulate the moronic MPs who voted to exclude no deal.

If 'no deal' was still on the table, the EU know their precious backstop could very well be replaced by a hard border, which absolutely no one wants. You cannot tell me they would sooner see a hard border than bend a little on the backstop? A time-limited backstop or a hard border? Hmmm...give me a moment.

Now we don't even have that bargaining chip. Hopefully May will disregard that idiotic amendment.

Oh and while I'm here:
Corbyn: we will vote down any deal the government bring to the table.
Also Corbyn: this house voted to remove the option of no deal.

Anyone spot the glaring issue with this?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach455No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I am just catching up with the latest goings on with the commons votes last night as I was in Bakewell.

Am I correct that they voted
1) yes to take non deal off the table
2) they then voted no to extending the time
3) Teresa May is now going back to the EU, to unpick and improve her own so called best and only deal.

Fills me with the upmost of confidence.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12642
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33809.png

Quote: Cronus " You cannot tell me they would sooner see a hard border than bend a little on the backstop? A time-limited backstop or a hard border? Hmmm...give me a moment.'"

That cuts two ways though. We can’t, with a straight face, call them for intransigence? Surely, as a nation, we’re not that lacking in self awareness?

Also, a time-limited backstop isn’t really backstop. What comes after the time runs out?

Quote: Cronus "
Oh and while I'm here

Is it that he hasn’t said the first of those things?

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12642
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33809.png

Quote: POSTL "I am just catching up with the latest goings on with the commons votes last night as I was in Bakewell.

Am I correct that they voted
1) yes to take non deal off the table
2) they then voted no to extending the time
3) Teresa May is now going back to the EU, to unpick and improve her own so called best and only deal.

Fills me with the upmost of confidence.'"

1. Yes, but it is non-binding. It’s clearly way too early to be committing to anything too definite... March is ages away.
Mind you the referendum itself was non-binding, although not at all sold that way.
2. Yep.
3. Yes - with the probability that that the EU will tell her to do one, unless she offers something significant in return. In extremis we could chuck money at the problem, I suppose. Either way, I suspect some in the ERG might vote down a revised deal anyway and that they see this as way of killing a couple of weeks hunting unicorns.

May, could offer Labour something against that eventuality - but what, and how could they trust it’d still stand after the final vote, if it wasn’t baked into the deal itself?

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: POSTL "Can you explain why Farage is a fascist please ??'"

1.1 A person who is extremely right-wing or authoritarian.
‘thousands of fascists and nationalists marched in the capital’

1.2 A person who is very intolerant or domineering in a particular area.
‘I'm a bit of a spelling fascist, but still have blind spots over words like ‘privilege’ or ‘separate’’

He seems to fit the first definition quite well and that is without actually being in power.
God help us if that actually does happen.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach455No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wrencat1873 "1.1 A person who is extremely right-wing or authoritarian.

‘I'm a bit of a spelling fascist, but still have blind spots over words like ‘privilege’ or ‘separate’’

He seems to fit the first definition quite well and that is without actually being in power.
God help us if that actually does happen.'"

Am I wrong but thought He had quit UKIP over their involvement with Tommy Robinson who is right wing

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: POSTL "Am I wrong but thought He had quit UKIP over their involvement with Tommy Robinson who is right wing'"

Would you not agree that UKIP are far more right wing than The Troy party ?
And claiming that Farage did anything, other than to suit his himself and his own agenda is just dreamland.

He quit as leader because UKP bombed in the 2017 election, anything else that you want to attach to his departure was secondary and maybe gave him an "excuse", so that he didn't appear to be running away from a failed political party.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach455No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: wrencat1873 "Would you not agree that UKIP are far more right wing than The Troy party ?
And claiming that Farage did anything, other than to suit his himself and his own agenda is just dreamland.

He quit as leader because UKP bombed in the 2017 election, anything else that you want to attach to his departure was secondary and maybe gave him an "excuse", so that he didn't appear to be running away from a failed political party.'"

I was on the cusp of voting for UKIP in 2017 but decided to vote Labour because as somebody else said May thought she could wipe the floor with Labour and we do need a good strong opposition party but for no other reason, as much as it grieves me to do so but I would agree that they now seem to be far more right wing as mentioned therefore I would not vote for them.

To think that any current politician doesn't do anything that suits him or her agenda is dreamland in my opinion.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach455No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Mild Rover "1. Yes, but it is non-binding. It’s clearly way too early to be committing to anything too definite... March is ages away.
Mind you the referendum itself was non-binding, although not at all sold that way.
2. Yep.
3. Yes - with the probability that that the EU will tell her to do one, unless she offers something significant in return. In extremis we could chuck money at the problem, I suppose. Either
Thank you for the update mate eusa_wall.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif
:12389.gif

Quote: Mild Rover "That cuts two ways though. We can’t, with a straight face, call them for intransigence? Surely, as a nation, we’re not that lacking in self awareness?

Also, a time-limited backstop isn’t really backstop. What comes after the time runs out?'"

Name-calling and self-awareness is irrelevant.

Look at it this way. If Parliament simply will not vote any deal through containing an open-ended backstop, we go to no deal. At that point the EU have a decision to mate - they either accept a hard border and damaging arrangements both ways (it won't be pleasant for them, either) - or they place some sort of limitation on the backstop and we get a reasonable deal.

The EU know that given a choice of hard border or a backstop renegotiation, there is only one option. Even today we've heard some in the EU saying they want to see the backstop renegotiated for everyone's sake.

However, if May adheres to last night's amendment and no-deal is ruled out, we don't have that card to play. The EU can sit back and let us fight it out, knowing they get their deal...or we remain, which cannot happen.

It really is as simple, but crucial, as that.

Quote: Mild Rover "Is it that he hasn’t said the first of those things?'"

Hmmm. I can't find a quote but I'm pretty positive he said he would 'vote against any deal the government brought to the table' at some point. In fact, Theresa May quoted the same today in PMQs, and such language in Parliament has to be accurate.

But the fact remains - if you vote against 'no deal', you HAVE to vote for some deal.

Labour have latched on to the whole idea of removing no deal as nothing more than a stick to beat the government with and to vote down any deal - in the hope of forcing a General Election.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "1.1 A person who is extremely right-wing or authoritarian.

God help us if that actually does happen.'"

I would suspect your point one applies to any dictator left or right - plenty of fascists with left wing "controlling tendancies" as we see in Venezuala.

I would suggest Corbyn fits your your second point - its is either his way or the highway as it was under Blair/Mandelson.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Sal Paradise "I would suspect your point one applies to any dictator left or right - plenty of fascists with left wing "controlling tendancies" as we see in Venezuala.

I would suggest Corbyn fits your second point - its is either his way or the highway as it was under Blair/Mandelson.'"

Extremists on either side of the political divide aren't a good thing, although, with Farage's anti immigration agenda, I'll stick with Blair or Corbyn thank you.
The 2 main parties in the UK both drifted towards the centre ground through the 90's and 00's and inevitably, after such a period of financial turmoil, which the main culprits have escaped any kind of "justice", it was inevitable that both parties would move to the left and right and in Farage's case, even further right.
He always tried to sell UKIP as not being racist etc but, the reality is different and the worry is just how many people wanted to follow his agenda. They too say that they are not racist etc, they just dont like people from other countries coming over here but, many of those same people are happy to go and live in France or Spain and complain like hell when they cant get their daily fix of Roast Beef or Fish and Chips icon_surprised.gifops:
We expect to be treated with dignity and respect when we visit or live abroad but, far too many Brits, especially now, believe this is "our country" with "our jobs" c015.gif c015.gif c015.gif

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12642
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png

Quote: Cronus " Name-calling and self-awareness is irrelevant.

Look at it this way. If Parliament simply will not vote any deal through containing an open-ended backstop, we go to no deal. At that point the EU have a decision to mate - they either accept a hard border and damaging arrangements both ways (it won't be pleasant for them, either) - or they place some sort of limitation on the backstop and we get a reasonable deal.

The EU know that given a choice of hard border or a backstop renegotiation, there is only one option. Even today we've heard some in the EU saying they want to see the backstop renegotiated for everyone's sake.

However, if May adheres to last night's amendment and no-deal is ruled out, we don't have that card to play. The EU can sit back and let us fight it out, knowing they get their deal...or we remain, which cannot happen.

It really is as simple, but crucial, as that..'"

But key to a successful negotiation is understanding your partner’s position and all that can be turned around on us.

Look at it this way. If the EU simply will not vote any deal through that doesn’t contain an open-ended backstop, we go to no deal. At that point we have a decision to make - we either accept a hard border and damaging arrangements both ways (it will be more unpleasant for us,) - or we accept the backstop and we can all move on to ensuring it is never needed.

The EU know that given a choice of hard border or a backstop renegotiation, there is only one option - because we have massively screwed this up. However, there are other options, and they won’t see it as their fault if we refuse to take one. Every day they hear UK politicians of different parties saying all sorts of different things, so they know we know they exist.

Ateod, if the swivel eyed loons of the ERG are driving the process, they know it is doomed - so why even bother?

Quote: Cronus "
Hmmm. I can't find a quote but I'm pretty positive he said he would 'vote against any deal the government brought to the table' at some point. In fact, Theresa May quoted the same today in PMQs, and such language in Parliament has to be accurate.

But the fact remains - if you vote against 'no deal', you HAVE to vote for some deal.

Labour have latched on to the whole idea of removing no deal as nothing more than a stick to beat the government with and to vote down any deal - in the hope of forcing a General Election.'"

He’s indicated what sort of deal he and labour would vote for. It’s not been a vision May has been remotely interested in and it has unicorn elements too. However, now they’re finally talking, there’s a slim chance of getting something that could get cross-party support. May’s real dilemma at the moment is no deal or split the Tory party. There’s no way to bridge the positions of the ERG and EU, imo.

1405 posts in 95 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
1405 posts in 95 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.2724609375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
2m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
2m