Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
143_1357419061.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_143.jpg

Quote: Standee "migration/immigration has enriched society, far more than we realise, and as for culture, I am sure Dally/Titan think the Elgin Marbles are British. And it wouldn't surprise me to find that they'd both be shocked that none of them are described as a "golly"!!'"

The only lost marbles appear to be yours.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member37503
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200322 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Oct 2014LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Dally "The only lost marbles appear to be yours.'"

you can't even lie consistently

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2359
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2021Feb 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
19170_1432331165.jpg
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself. When you rescue a dog, you gain a heart for life. Handle every situation like a dog. If you can't Eat it or Chew it. Pee on it and Walk Away. "No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin. " Anuerin Bevan:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_19170.jpg

Quote: Chris28 "Asian man walks down the street. Is he British, low skilled/unskilled or high skilled? Is he seen as an "immigrant" with all the negative connotations it has?

White man walks down the street. Is he skilled or unskilled? Is he British? American? Australian? Should he be in the UK?

That is why there is a problem. Because the vast majority of the public cannot tell, yet the rhetoric from newspapers and policticians is that it is bad, and an immigrant must have dark skin, right?

Its interesting that the immigration route with (currently) the least control is the one where you have a lot of money, not skills. And the easiest route to get in via the apparently skilled work route is if you're paid a high salary, not a person in an important skilled job regardless of the salary.'"

Indeed. I have found myself in many a heated discussion about immigration. People ranting and me putting them straight. When I tell them I am an immigrant, not from the EU either but with my Hull accent you wouldn't know, I get "well I don't mean people like you" - well who the fook do you mean then???

RankPostsTeam
International Star1011
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

I think cultural influences from the media have a far greater effect on British culture than immigration. Rap music/culture in particular has resulted in white kids from all over the country talking like they come "Straight Outta Compton".

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member47951No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1977_1349889235.jpg
"You are working for Satan." [i:2886spie]Kirkstaller[/i:2886spie] "Dare to know!" [i:2886spie]Immanuel Kant[/i:2886spie] "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive" [i:2886spie]Elbert Hubbard[/i:2886spie] "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." [i:2886spie]Oscar Wilde[/i:2886spie] [url=http://thevoluptuousmanifesto.blogspot.co.uk:2886spie][color=#4000FF:2886spie]The Voluptuous Manifesto[/color:2886spie][/url:2886spie] – thoughts on all sorts of stuff.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1977.jpg

Quote: JerryChicken "What is "British Culture" though ?

What element have we historically had that has made us unique from any other culture in the world ?

And what element of the "culture" have we lost ?'"

There's a reason I said "English culture". icon_wink.gif

tompride.wordpress.com/2014/02/2 ... ll-notice/
It can't be, can it? Surely not, the Daily Mail wrong on immigration? Pah, don't believe it myself icon_wink.gif

tompride.wordpress.com/2014/02/2 ... ll-notice/

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7343
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10025.jpg
For contributions, remittances, payments, and all other matters of any responsibility, please refer to someone else. “The British people love a good hero and a good hate” Lord Northcliffe:10025.jpg

Quote: Mintball "It might have been called the British Empire, but certainly from a cultural perspective – it was English. Where the Scots, Welsh and even the Northern Irish still, in different ways, battled away to retain their own cultural identity, I don't think that the English did in the same way.'"

There is a very solid argument that the British Empire was effectively the English Empire, and that it began to develop from the Age of Discovery, in England's case with John Cabot. The interesting point is that this expansion began under the Tudors, a Welsh dynasty that ruled England, followed by a Scottish dynasty, the Stuarts, followed by a series of German and Dutch houses that we have retained right up to this day (albeit now as ceremonial figureheads rather than absolute rulers). Leading to the claim that Richard III was the last "English" ruler of England (I'm not entirely convinced about this claim given 1) the Plantagenets were a branch of the House of Anjou and 2) such distinctions belong to a era before the modern nation state emerged).

Quote: Mintball "
The English didn't need to big up St George's Day as a way of affirming cultural identity

I think it's the relative size of England in terms of territory, population and economic strength that is the underlying issue, England's population is several times larger than the rest of the British Isles (ROI included) put together. In the face of that it was more important to the rest to not be absorbed into an overarching English identity than it was for England itself to maintain an English identity. Having said that I do think some of the modern national identity politics of the island of Great Britain have more than a whiff of Victorian romanticism about them, as do modern "Celtic" identity contructs throughout the whole of the British Isles.

Quote: Mintball "
But that's gone. Even politicians remain wedded to an insane idea of our being players at a global top table, as though it's vital to the country as a whole.
'"

The UK is still a Great Power by any reasonable standard, it may have ceased to be a superpower a long time ago, and our influence is long waning, but we remain a stable, liberal democratic state, with significant political, social and economic influence. Some of the countries that are catchig or overtaking us in absolute economic size remain politically and economically unstable or at very least imature.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1977_1349889235.jpg
"You are working for Satan." [i:2886spie]Kirkstaller[/i:2886spie] "Dare to know!" [i:2886spie]Immanuel Kant[/i:2886spie] "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive" [i:2886spie]Elbert Hubbard[/i:2886spie] "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." [i:2886spie]Oscar Wilde[/i:2886spie] [url=http://thevoluptuousmanifesto.blogspot.co.uk:2886spie][color=#4000FF:2886spie]The Voluptuous Manifesto[/color:2886spie][/url:2886spie] – thoughts on all sorts of stuff.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1977.jpg

Quote: Kelvin's Ferret "There is a very solid argument that the British Empire was effectively the English Empire, and that it began to develop from the Age of Discovery, in England's case with John Cabot…'"

A Venetian – which adds to your point.

In similar vein, Henry VIII had to bring in French expertise on cannon production to give us the weaponary that would build the Navy.

Quote: Kelvin's Ferret "… The interesting point is that this expansion began under the Tudors, a Welsh dynasty that ruled England, followed by a Scottish dynasty, the Stuarts, followed by a series of German and Dutch houses that we have retained right up to this day (albeit now as ceremonial figureheads rather than absolute rulers). Leading to the claim that Richard III was the last "English" ruler of England (I'm not entirely convinced about this claim given 1) the Plantagenets were a branch of the House of Anjou and 2) such distinctions belong to a era before the modern nation state emerged).'"

All correct – and yes, it is all interesting, not least perhaps, in terms of how few people either realise or acknowledge such things.

Quote: Kelvin's Ferret "I think it's the relative size of England in terms of territory, population and economic strength that is the underlying issue, England's population is several times larger than the rest of the British Isles (ROI included) put together. In the face of that it was more important to the rest to not be absorbed into an overarching English identity than it was for England itself to maintain an English identity. Having said that I do think some of the modern national identity politics of the island of Great Britain have more than a whiff of Victorian romanticism about them, as do modern "Celtic" identity contructs throughout the whole of the British Isles.'"

I’d agree with all that. I’d add that the issue of size and population is also one that, I think, influences feelings about immigration/migration.

We are incredibly densely populated.

The UK is 256 people per square km.

England, though, is 419 people per square km. In a list of countries and dependencies in Europe, that only has Monaco, Gibraltar, Vatican City, Malta, Guernsey, Jersey and San Marino ahead of it.

Germany is 233, Italy 192 and France 111, Spain 88. Sweden is just 20.

Looked at another way

Fair points all: I don’t think we’re actually disagreeing. Perhaps I could have been clearer: I think we make the mistake of still trying to play the superpower role – most often and most obviously in terms of our relationship with the US and military action.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14845No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
143_1357419061.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_143.jpg

It's official - the country is going down the pan as a resukt of immigration.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ng-it.html
It's official - the country is going down the pan as a resukt of immigration.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ng-it.html

RankPostsTeam
International Star3605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67953_1341943970.jpg
Someday everything is gonna be different, when I paint my masterpiece ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://garykitchen.co.uk/:lnkxkae0]Online art gallery, selling original landscape artwork[/url:lnkxkae0] ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://jerrychicken.wordpress.com/:lnkxkae0]JerryChicken - The Blog[/url:lnkxkae0] ----------------------------------------------------------:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67953.jpg

Quote: Dally "It's official - the country is going down the pan as a resukt of immigration.

Love the comments, read them and understand instantly why The Mail continues to pander to its own very special audience.

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

Quote: JerryChicken "Love the comments, read them and understand instantly why The Mail continues to pander to its own very special audience.'"

Only tried to use one once in China. The results even made me laugh. Thankfully my foot went in the hole before I had begun my business.
Frankly the state of the seats on most UK public traps I have used actually makes the idea of a squat toilet appealing.

GT
RankPostsTeam
Club Owner11532
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jan 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6248_1358341317.jpg
[b:2akkj491]Jeb End Reds[/b:2akkj491] [color=#FF0000:2akkj491][b:2akkj491][url=hhtp://www/foreverreds.co.uk/:2akkj491]SUPPORT FOREVER REDS - THE SALFORD CITY REDS SUPPORTERS' TRUST[/url:2akkj491][/b:2akkj491][/color:2akkj491] [b:2akkj491][color=red:2akkj491]MUFC[/color:2akkj491] ~ FCUM ~ [color=red:2akkj491]SRLFC[/color:2akkj491] ~ LCCC[/b:2akkj491] [url=http://undergreylancastrianskies.blogspot.com/:2akkj491]My Blog[/url:2akkj491] ~ [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/8580799@N06/:2akkj491]My Flickr[/url:2akkj491]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6248.jpg

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member37704No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2051.jpg
The older I get, the better I was Advice is what we seek when we already know the answer - but wish we didn't I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full-frontal lobotomy ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ kirkstaller wrote: "All DNA shows is that we have a common creator." cod'ead wrote: "I have just snotted weissbier all over my keyboard & screen" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin." - Aneurin Bevan:2051.jpg

Quote: JerryChicken "The "non-skilled" argument is misleading and is often confused with "poor grasp of the English language", they can't speak very good English so they must be thick.

I've written before about this but I'll give you two examples of my own experiences when working within two different client businesses...

1. Was in an agency when two people came to the reception desk, male and female partners, the male explained that they had literally got the bus straight from Hull to the agency to start the job that they had arranged via the phone from their home (I think they came from Poland), the male was offered a job in a factory as a picker, the female could speak very little English and was told she'd be working "in the fields" tomorrow. they both accepted these minimum wage jobs but the male then pointed out to the interviewer that his partner had a degree in engineering and was taking extra tuition to improve her English - a not uncommon experience according to the person in the agency that I was meeting with, she wasn't unskliied or thick, she just didn't have a working grasp of English - YET.

2. The next day I was at the client site where the woman had been offered the job "in the fields" and in the office that I was sat in was a young man in his late twenties speaking on the phone in an Eastern European language and making copious notes. The Lithuanian girl who I was training eventually explained that he was one of their veg prep guys, spent all day long picking out mis-shaped carrots from conveyor belts so that the supermarkets didn't reject them - they'd had an approach from a Russian business who wanted to deal with them and had asked around the workforce for anyone with good Russian skills, he stepped forward, was Polish but spoke excellent Russian as he'd studied it at University, later they found that he also had an engineering degree, he is now on their maintenance crew, he too wasn't thick or unskilled, just placed in a low skilled job by the agency.'"

A very close and dear friend of mine is Lithuanian. She came to this country 7 years ago with the intention of "working a few months and then going home with some money in my pocket". Her first job was picking strawberries and at the end of her first (72 hour) week, was given £55 for all her efforts. As the strawberry season wound down, she took a job order-picking in a warehouse, followed by any number of other mundane jobs. Somewhere along the way, she discovered an aptitude for writing code, now works for an IT solutions company, where she is considered their Java guru and is close to being awarded a BSc from the OU.

She now has absolutely no intention of returning to "her country" (she never calls it "home"icon_wink.gif, other than for a short break. From arriving here with no worthwhile qualifications, she is contributing to the economy and society in general but there are many who would have been happy to deny her entry and lose a valuable resource.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1977_1349889235.jpg

rlImmigration impact report withheld by Downing Streetrl.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3213
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Aug 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
68505_1605979550.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_68505.jpg

Quote: GT ""according to reports"

"apparently prefer squatting"

"are also said to be infuriated"

"according to The Sun"

"A source told the paper"

"Managers apparently installed signs"

So no actual facts or evidence, then? Sounds about right.'"

Just missing "Some bloke in the pub said" for a full list then?

62 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
62 posts in 5 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.060546875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Play-off semi-final
dboy
5m
Former players
weighman
17m