JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67953_1341943970.jpg
Someday everything is gonna be different, when I paint my masterpiece ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://garykitchen.co.uk/:lnkxkae0]Online art gallery, selling original landscape artwork[/url:lnkxkae0] ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://jerrychicken.wordpress.com/:lnkxkae0]JerryChicken - The Blog[/url:lnkxkae0] ----------------------------------------------------------:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67953.jpg

Quote: King Street Cat "I recently had a few valuations on my property with a view to selling. What one of the valuers told me was interesting. He said that a lot of the banks, if investigated properly, would be guilty of mortgage fraud. Forget people knowingly getting themselves into massive debt, the banks were actively encouraging it with reduced deposits and the promise of big returns in short timescales. When banks were sending surveyors out to give places a risk assessment and make sure that the value of the loan and the value of the property added up, in most cases they would just tick a box on a sheet without even going inside the property. Banks were more than happy to give 100% mortgages on property values that were totally unrealistic and with no risk assessments carried out.'"

The last two houses I bought pre-2007 (in fact one of them April 2007) had the usual building society survey paid for by me and done by what I presume was someone qualified by the BS to do so, when I asked the vendors if they'd spoken to the surveyor on both occasions they never saw a surveyor let alone invite them in, the building society "survey" was obviously just a kerbside cursory glance to make sure there was a property at that address, or possibly not even that.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner4195No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Apr 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Totally agree reference 'surveys'. It is simply something done to confirm to the bank that the property is worth roughly what is being paid. There is no real benefit to the buyer, who normally pays the survey fee.

The survey on my flat told me it was about 350 years old and in a converted hall in a rural setting. Which I could pretty much tell from the moment I looked at a photo of the place.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: The Video Ref "Anti-austerity was always a hopeless doctrine.

The idea you can spend your way out of major debt it, quite frankly, ridiculous.

It's a bit like defaulting on a loan and then asking your bank to give you another £5,000.'"

It isn't ridiculous. To reduce your debt you need a growing economy. To reduce spending when the economy isn't growing or is in poor health is economic illiteracy.

To start with, there are 2 issues here - the economic crash and government debt/deficit levels.

In order to reduce the latter you first have to fix the former.

In order to fix the former (a financial crash) you need to increase public spending in order to make up some of the drop off in consumer spending. Otherwise the economy shrinks, and if you decrease public spending you are actively taking money out of the economy.

That's why the Bank of England was desperately printing money to put INTO the economy.

Then, when the economy is relatively stable and growing you can deal with any debt/deficit issue. Through a combination of progressive tax rises and carefully planned public spending cuts over a long time period.

To cut public spending and increase a consumption tax during the recovery from a financial crash that severely affected consumer spending is economic battery.

It's the equivalent of being made redundant and looking for a job but saying you'll cut your costs by selling your car and so make it much harder to find a job.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67953_1341943970.jpg
Someday everything is gonna be different, when I paint my masterpiece ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://garykitchen.co.uk/:lnkxkae0]Online art gallery, selling original landscape artwork[/url:lnkxkae0] ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://jerrychicken.wordpress.com/:lnkxkae0]JerryChicken - The Blog[/url:lnkxkae0] ----------------------------------------------------------:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67953.jpg

Quote: Him "*snip*'"

Just to add to the above, one of the most effective ways of very quickly bucking up a downturn in the economy happened in the early 90s when the (I guess) Tory government set a 100% Corporation Tax relief on capital investment.

That one very simple, easily administered thing led to a huge increase in turnover to any company who supplies anything in the production cycle to any other company, overnight businesses who had clung onto old uneconomical machinery suddenly had an opportunity to replace it with a discount against their next tax bill and of course the businesses that supplied them probably had a corresponding increase in their Corporation Tax on their increased profits the following year, like most taxation issues the dry world of accountancy often does not predict what the knock on effects of policies actually are - we saw this one immediately in a sudden resurgence of sales especially in the spring quarter when the tax year deadline approached and businesses wanted to offset a tax liability for some useful asset investment.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10530
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18919_1341147656.jpg
[quote="King Monkey":30st820n]Maybe a spell in prison would do Graham good. At least he'd lose his virginity.[/quote:30st820n]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18919.jpg

The idea you can spend your way out of major debt it, quite frankly, ridiculous.

It's a bit like defaulting on a loan and then asking your bank to give you another £5,000.'"

The argument for austerity doesn't make sense in a fragile economy, with huge private debt.
If both the public sector, and the private sector are both paying down debt at the same time, then banks stop lending money, and, money stops circulating into the economy causing it to shrink - which is what's happened in Greece.

In the UK, we've just been lucky so far that we've been able to print currency to keep ourselves afloat. In reality, as soon as interest rates rise and, demand for oil catches up with the current over supply and oil prices start to rise again, and the grave reality of our economic situation will hit home and, we'll probably be in a worse position than the Greeks.
Currently our debt is 80% of GDP, when you factor in all the private debt its 900%. This won't be repaid, either the bubble bursts, and our living standards plummet, or we write off a huge amount of private debt, and break up the too big to exist banking system and restore some balance and reality to our economy.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Dally "So as he saI'd, the banks lent recklessly to give the punters what they wanted - money that was unlikely to be repaid and unlikely to be supported by security.'"

complete rubbish there was never a question of mortgage default bringing NR down. They simply couldnt borrow money in the market when banks stopped lending to each other so their revolving credit failed to revolve.

Him
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

Quote: JerryChicken "Just to add to the above, one of the most effective ways of very quickly bucking up a downturn in the economy happened in the early 90s when the (I guess) Tory government set a 100% Corporation Tax relief on capital investment.

That one very simple, easily administered thing led to a huge increase in turnover to any company who supplies anything in the production cycle to any other company, overnight businesses who had clung onto old uneconomical machinery suddenly had an opportunity to replace it with a discount against their next tax bill and of course the businesses that supplied them probably had a corresponding increase in their Corporation Tax on their increased profits the following year, like most taxation issues the dry world of accountancy often does not predict what the knock on effects of policies actually are - we saw this one immediately in a sudden resurgence of sales especially in the spring quarter when the tax year deadline approached and businesses wanted to offset a tax liability for some useful asset investment.'"

Yep. Reducing taxes like that, VAT, employers NI etc or schemes like the car scrappage scheme are exactly what should happen to help stimulate economic activity.

But of course that increases the deficit and debt.

RankPostsTeam
Administrator25122No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017May 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7.gif
:7.gif

Why do people continue to equate the interests of those pushing for austerity with their own?

From their perspective it is working just fine.

Kind of reminds me of Dick Cheney entering Iraq without an exit plan. How forgetful of him ...

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member37704No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2051.jpg
The older I get, the better I was Advice is what we seek when we already know the answer - but wish we didn't I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full-frontal lobotomy ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ kirkstaller wrote: "All DNA shows is that we have a common creator." cod'ead wrote: "I have just snotted weissbier all over my keyboard & screen" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin." - Aneurin Bevan:2051.jpg

Yes because history shows thar such a programme failed so spectacularly post-WW2

Shortly after the global banking crisis, Brown and Darling reduced VAT in an attempt to keep stimulus in the economy. In 2010 the economy was growing and employment was rising again. Unfortunately the bunch of sociopaths who then took charge seized the opportunity to shrink the state in the name of "austerity". This ideological decision led to an immediate reversal of that (albeit sleight) growth, a reduction in spending power and real hardship for those at the bottom of the income scale.

Economic illiteracy at its finest

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14845No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
143_1357419061.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_143.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "complete rubbish there was never a question of mortgage default bringing NR down. They simply couldnt borrow money in the market when banks stopped lending to each other so their revolving credit failed to revolve.'"

NR was a simple bank unlike, say, RBS. So, the reason other banks would not lend to them was because they perceived a risk of default.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
143_1357419061.jpg

Quote: cod'ead "Yes because history shows thar such a programme failed so spectacularly post-WW2

'"

The circumstances are completely different to post WW2. Then there was major rebuilding in the UK, Europe, Japan etc - therefore a huge stimulus to the world economy. Given the UK, despite being broke, was such a major producer it was always going to get a big slice of the growth action. Accordingly, your approach made sense. Now the situation is far different and the full flung anti-austerity approach would, I suspect, prove disastrous.

Him
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

Quote: Dally "NR was a simple bank unlike, say, RBS. So, the reason other banks would not lend to them was because they perceived a risk of default.'"

No it wasn't. It was because the other banks didn't have any money to lend and Northern Rock was more exposed to a drying up of the credit markets since that's where most of their funding came from.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10530
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18919_1341147656.jpg
[quote="King Monkey":30st820n]Maybe a spell in prison would do Graham good. At least he'd lose his virginity.[/quote:30st820n]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_18919.jpg

rlhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-33578778rl

Pretty much spot on from Varoufakis. Frankly, I think the way he's been demonised in the media is a disgrace. The guy is a legendary economist, and one of the finest of his era, he (and people like him) should be the ones leading the EU economy out of crisis, instead of the neo-classical talking heads currently at the head of the table.
On a slightly separate note, I recommend his book [iA Modest Proposal[/i which he wrote with Stuart Holland. I think it's a must read for anyone with an interest in the Eurozone crisis.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
143_1357419061.jpg

Quote: Him "No it wasn't. It was because the other banks didn't have any money to lend and Northern Rock was more exposed to a drying up of the credit markets since that's where most of their funding came from.'"

Banks had money to lend, they were just frightened of lending to other banks as they did not know where the losses stopped.

Pre-failure, NR had a big surge in mortgage lending, yet its share price fell and it issued a profits warning. Would seem everyone but its management and the FSA saw the writing was on the wall!

RankPostsTeam
Moderator14395No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2024May 2022LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
26.jpg
Last league derby at Central Park 5/9/1999: Wigan 28 St. Helens 20 Last league derby at Knowsley Road 2/4/2010: St. Helens 10 Wigan 18:26.jpg

Quote: Dally "Banks had money to lend, they were just frightened of lending to other banks as they did not know where the losses stopped.

Pre-failure, NR had a big surge in mortgage lending, yet its share price fell and it issued a profits warning. Would seem everyone but its management and the FSA saw the writing was on the wall!'"

You are completely wrong. The reason why NR went belly up was because of its business model whereby it borrowed money in the UK and international money markets so it could provide mortgages which it then sold on. The market for these re-sold mortgages dried up due to the 2008 crisis and so due to lack of revenue as it was unable to re-sell the mortgages, its source of funds to repay the loans it had already taken out dried up.

They were engaged in the exact same thing as Fannie mae and Freddy mac were in the US. Bundling up mortgages to create a Mortgage Backed Security (MBS) and selling it to the secondary mortgage market. When that market dried up, so did NR's ability to meet its creditors.

It wasn't its inability to borrow that killed it but its inability to sell on mortgages to fund is already existing debt that did for it.

84 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
84 posts in 7 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.34814453125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Whitehaven
wrencat1873
5m
Hull live/Tomlinson
Cuddleclub
8m