FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Sin Bin > Brexit Anyone ? (part 3)
1405 posts in 95 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "I know that the boat has long since sailed but, instead of Mrs May just doing it her way, with the total exclusion of all other parties and their MP's, do you not think that she should have tried to engage just as many opposition MP's at the outset, especially those who were staunch "leavers" from strong "leave" areas

Instead, she alienated pretty much everyone and we will all pay the price of her stupidity (at least Corbyn got that right, although he didn't have the balls to admit what he had said).
Sadly its not the way it works in British politics - why do we expect MPs who litle life experience outside of politics to be able to negotiate a deal as complex as Brexit to any competent degree?

Problem is our approach has been appalling - we should have started from no deal and worked upwards - we were always on the back foot with the approach we engaged Europe with.

If you add to that a bunch of people who don't want Brexit at all you have a recipe for the shambles that has transpired.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Sal Paradise "Sadly its not the way it works in British politics - why do we expect MPs who litle life experience outside of politics to be able to negotiate a deal as complex as Brexit to any competent degree?

Problem is our approach has been appalling - we should have started from no deal and worked upwards - we were always on the back foot with the approach we engaged Europe with.

If you add to that a bunch of people who don't want Brexit at all you have a recipe for the shambles that has transpired.'"

I'm fully aware of how British politics works.

However with both of the main parties split down the middle on the Brexit issue, there had to be some collective working on Brexit.

Unfortunately, post referendum, Mrs May made it quite clear that the views of others wouldn't be listened to, never mind acrted upon, with the exception of the loyalists onf N. Ireland (whose support she needed to prop up her self inflicted minority government).

Had she gaine some consensus, on the back of "fulfilling the wishes of the people", perhaps there may have been a different tradjectory for both the negotiations and it's support within parliament.

What's also increddible is the silence of many of Labour's "leave" MP's and it appears that not one of them is prepared to break rank in order to deliver Brexit (well Mrs May's version of Brexit, anyway).

It appears that Comrade Corbyn is holding his party together, far better than his Tory counterpart, again, quite increddible.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "I'm fully aware of how British politics works.

However with both of the main parties split down the middle on the Brexit issue, there had to be some collective working on Brexit.

Unfortunately, post referendum, Mrs May made it quite clear that the views of others wouldn't be listened to, never mind acrted upon, with the exception of the loyalists onf N. Ireland (whose support she needed to prop up her self inflicted minority government).

Had she gaine some consensus, on the back of "fulfilling the wishes of the people", perhaps there may have been a different tradjectory for both the negotiations and it's support within parliament.

What's also increddible is the silence of many of Labour's "leave" MP's and it appears that not one of them is prepared to break rank in order to deliver Brexit (well Mrs May's version of Brexit, anyway).

It appears that Comrade Corbyn is holding his party together, far better than his Tory counterpart, again, quite increddible.'"

We both know the parties aren't split down the middle - the remainers significantly out number the leavers in Parliment.

How do gain agreement when nobody wants to leave - its impossible - the EU would have had a greater pushover than they have already have - how would a concensus with the SNP work?

Labour have one shot at power don't convert this and they might as well give up - Corbyn may be doing a good job of keeping his party together pity his magic isn't working on the potential electorate.

His best hope is that May hangs around for a while longer.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50722.jpg

It's interesting that Brexit and the subsequent mess has become Corbyn's fault - and many people assume that the power to fix it rests solely with him; we seem to have done some weird volte face, in which the MSM and some celebrities robustly hold the opposition to account, whilst giving the Government a free pass - assisted by the timely appearance of Schrodinger's drone...

I really don't see the confusion over what he said this weekend - it's exactly what he's said since being given a mandate at conference; oppose the crappy deal May is clinging to, push for a GE when it's voted down, and failing that (for fail it will) all options remain on the table - including a second vote.

It always helps to read the story and not just the headline.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12642
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33809.png

Quote: bren2k "It's interesting that Brexit and the subsequent mess has become Corbyn's fault - and many people assume that the power to fix it rests solely with him; we seem to have done some weird volte face, in which the MSM and some celebrities robustly hold the opposition to account, whilst giving the Government a free pass - assisted by the timely appearance of Schrodinger's drone...

I really don't see the confusion over what he said this weekend - it's exactly what he's said since being given a mandate at conference; oppose the crappy deal May is clinging to, push for a GE when it's voted down, and failing that (for fail it will) all options remain on the table - including a second vote.

It always helps to read the story and not just the headline.'"

My criticism is really with the ‘all options remain on the table’. It’s getting a bit late in the day for that.

May’s mistake, well one of them, has been to chuck too much red meat the way of the ERG, and it is clear now she could never realistically sate them. So she’s now having to surreptiously reach across the floor/blackmail the opposition into voting for a deal that is very poorly aligned with their (admittedly diverse) priorities and is broadly unpopular.

Labour’s chances in a GE could also be boosted by a split in the Conservative party, which increasingly feels like it would be a real possibility if it came to that.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31836
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

Quote: Mild Rover "Labour’s chances in a GE could also be boosted by a split in the Conservative party, which increasingly feels like it would be a real possibility if it came to that.'"

I doubt it. When the chips are down they'll all pull together. If there's any split it will come from a few on the far right of the party rather than the "wets" like Soubry. Even then I'd expect them to want to move the whole party rightwards rather than start UKIP-lite. Especially as UKIP is off limits to anyone who isn't an out and out racist now.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Bullseye "I doubt it. When the chips are down they'll all pull together. If there's any split it will come from a few on the far right of the party rather than the "wets" like Soubry. Even then I'd expect them to want to move the whole party rightwards rather than start UKIP-lite. Especially as UKIP is off limits to anyone who isn't an out and out racist now.'"

I cant believe that UKIP are racist, such lovely people who happened to want a reduction in immigration.
icon_eek.gif

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12642
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
33809_1522680904.png
'Thus I am tormented by my curiosity and humbled by my ignorance.' from History of an Old Bramin, The New York Mirror (A Weekly Journal Devoted to Literature and the Fine Arts), February 16th 1833.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_33809.png

Quote: Bullseye "I doubt it. When the chips are down they'll all pull together. If there's any split it will come from a few on the far right of the party rather than the "wets" like Soubry. Even then I'd expect them to want to move the whole party rightwards rather than start UKIP-lite. Especially as UKIP is off limits to anyone who isn't an out and out racist now.'"

I see your point and I’d normally think the same.

I just don’t see how they could all campaign for the same manifesto or even leader, if the GE came before a Brexit deal was agreed.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12488No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
disney/00004.gif
Huddersfield Giants 2013 over achievers Huddersfield Giants 2014 under achievers ??????????:disney/00004.gif

This is what I posted in respect of a Labour MP opposing another referendum
A referendum based on lies. Now the people know what it means give them a proper vote. Dominic Raab probably the next Tory leader is clear it will not be £350m to the NHS but to reducing business tax. David Davis cannot wait to sign a free trade deal with America so we can get all their cheap poisonous meat and give their insurance companies entry to the NHS. Not good to see Labour MPs in bed with Putin and Trump both of whom see a weaker Europe leading to a stronger Russia and America . As much as I support Corbyn he is sending us down a dangerous route. Leave the Eu and lose the next election and everything the left has stood for since 1945 will be gone

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

All the Tories need to do is put up a younger fresher face who can speak coherently and they will see off Corbyn and his 'art house' cronies.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator31836
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
438_1551258406.jpg
"If you start listening to the fans it won't be long before you're sitting with them," - Wayne Bennett.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_438.jpg

Bring on Boris!

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17139No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "All the Tories need to do is put up a younger fresher face who can speak coherently and they will see off Corbyn and his 'art house' cronies.'"

Sadly a large proportion of the population do not vote on policies. More faux outrage in the gutter press about car parking charges at hospitals, conveniently ignoring the fact hospitals are having to do it to survive.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg

Quote: Mild Rover "My criticism is really with the ‘all options remain on the table’. It’s getting a bit late in the day for that.'"

I agree - but the blame for that can be laid at the door of Mrs May and her succession of incompetent Brexit Ministers, who've run the clock down only to achieve a 'deal' that suits nobody.

However, if there's a serious attempt to restart and negotiate something that works for everyone, Article 50 could be extended, with the agreement of the EU27; and the ECJ has already ruled that the UK can revoke it unilaterally - so in the event of a 2nd vote, the whole thing could be binned.

So whilst I agree it's late in the day, all options do, technically, remain on the table.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: bren2k "I agree - but the blame for that can be laid at the door of Mrs May and her succession of incompetent Brexit Ministers, who've run the clock down only to achieve a 'deal' that suits nobody.

However, if there's a serious attempt to restart and negotiate something that works for everyone, Article 50 could be extended, with the agreement of the EU27; and the ECJ has already ruled that the UK can revoke it unilaterally - so in the event of a 2nd vote, the whole thing could be binned.

So whilst I agree it's late in the day, all options do, technically, remain on the table.'"

Plenty of options but, very little time.
Just imagine if May was ousted and we had to go through a further round of negotiations.

Trump, having got the US ecconomy booming, appears to have burst the bubble in some style, with his "shoot from the hip diplomacy" now costing the US ecconomy and stock market, which will inevitably mean the ripples and fall out coming our way.
We have an ecconomy bumping along with very little growth and the Trump effect + Brexit will mean yet more "fun" for the masses.
Whilst or politicians play schoolyard games, the country is starting to slide downhill and whether we end up with Corbyn or anyone else, the whole Brexit nonsense is coming at a particularly bad time.

Happ new year everyone icon_biggrin.gifEPRESSED:

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "Plenty of options but, very little time'"

Except for in the circumstances I described; the EU 27 would undoubtedly allow the UK to postpone Article 50 - and it can be rescinded altogether without their permission, should a PV happen and the UK demonstrate that it's changed position.

I don't necessarily advocate it, but those people suggesting Corbyn is offering something he can't deliver, are demonstrably wrong; if there's a GE, which is the Labour position, all options really do remain on the table.

1405 posts in 95 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
1405 posts in 95 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.02783203125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Realistic targets for 2025
UllFC
6m
Grand final Tickets
Azul
9m