FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Sin Bin > Event ticket industry needs investigating and regulating.
78 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif
:12389.gif

Quote: piemandan "I think that's a sweeping generalisation.

The reliance on the internet and phone lines has somehow convinced people that there is no alternative way to buy tickets.. My point hightlights the fact that if you queue up, you can generally get what you want, in more ways than one.

..and if someone wants something so much, they will get it.'"

Rubbish. Don't pretend you're providing a service or are some essential part of the supply chain. You're not.

You're a scab. A parasite doing nothing more than ripping people off, people who probably couldn't get tickets only because filthy scabs like you had snapped up massive numbers of tickets in the first place.

Yes, some people will pay well over the odds for an event. But they shouldn't have to so you can make a few pennies.

Don't like the truth? Don't rip people off and brag about it.

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: Cronus "Rubbish. Don't pretend you're providing a service or are some essential part of the supply chain. You're not.

You're a scab. A parasite doing nothing more than ripping people off, people who probably couldn't get tickets only because filthy scabs like you had snapped up massive numbers of tickets in the first place.

Yes, some people will pay well over the odds for an event. But they shouldn't have to so you can make a few pennies.

Don't like the truth? Don't rip people off and brag about it.'"

eusa_clap.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star3605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67953_1341943970.jpg
Someday everything is gonna be different, when I paint my masterpiece ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://garykitchen.co.uk/:lnkxkae0]Online art gallery, selling original landscape artwork[/url:lnkxkae0] ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://jerrychicken.wordpress.com/:lnkxkae0]JerryChicken - The Blog[/url:lnkxkae0] ----------------------------------------------------------:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67953.jpg

...on the other hand its the rule of supply and demand in its purest form.

Think sideways for a minute as you all tend to get rather sensitive when it comes to the thought of gig tickets for your favourite band - lets apply the rule to paperback books, lets assume that there is a release tomorrow of a popular novel in paperback and that its release is restricted to just a few thousand books and only available in Waterstones or Waterstones online.

What would you say now to those who buy ten copies and then sell them on at a premium (and find a market ready and willing to pay double or quadruple the face value), especially if the book can be read online (which most books can if you live in my postal area), would you be quite so critical or would you dismiss the issue as "the market in action".

RankPostsTeam
International Star4647
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50733_1530270912.jpg
[color=#000000:ogl9gbum]"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."[/color:ogl9gbum]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50733.jpg

I don't see it any different. It's basically denying fans the chance to purchase something at the RRP and taking advantage of the fact they are fans and forcing them to pay more than the RRP. Of course they don't have to buy it but where does that leave them? Without the book by their favourite author that they really want to read, that's where.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67953_1341943970.jpg
Someday everything is gonna be different, when I paint my masterpiece ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://garykitchen.co.uk/:lnkxkae0]Online art gallery, selling original landscape artwork[/url:lnkxkae0] ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://jerrychicken.wordpress.com/:lnkxkae0]JerryChicken - The Blog[/url:lnkxkae0] ----------------------------------------------------------:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67953.jpg

Quote: King Street Cat "I don't see it any different. It's basically denying fans the chance to purchase something at the RRP and taking advantage of the fact they are fans and forcing them to pay more than the RRP. Of course they don't have to buy it but where does that leave them? Without the book by their favourite author that they really want to read, that's where.'"

You don't "force" anyone to buy anything that they don't want, no-one ever bought a ticket (or any other product) from a reseller with a gun pointed at their head especially a product in the entertainment genre where you can pay a fraction of the reseller price (or free) to watch the same product online rather than live - yes its not the same "experience" but THAT is what you pay the premium for and THAT is what your free choice in the matter is all about.

Criticising resellers who are not doing anything illegal (despite what the originators of the tickets may try to enforce) is simply criticising the capitalist way of life, where everything you buy has had a markup, or several markups, applied.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman26578
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017Apr 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1408_1377158863.jpg
[url=http://tinyurl.com/xmaschoccy:3awnsnxa][img:3awnsnxa]http://imgur.com/dR3Vl.gif[/img:3awnsnxa][/url:3awnsnxa] [b:3awnsnxa][url=http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?type=3&campid=5335822080&toolid=10001&customid=sitcforum&ext=rugby+league&satitle=rugby+league:3awnsnxa]ebay's Rugby League Bargains[/url:3awnsnxa][/b:3awnsnxa] ¦ [b:3awnsnxa][url=http://pepperkorn.shauctions.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=CAP1:3awnsnxa]Boost Your eBay Sales[/url:3awnsnxa][/b:3awnsnxa] ¦ [b:3awnsnxa][url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=%26%2334%3Brugby%20league%26%2334%3B&tag=newrugbyleaguestore-21&index=blended&linkCode=ur2&camp=1634&creative=6738:3awnsnxa]Recommended Amazon Stuff[/url:3awnsnxa][/b:3awnsnxa] ¦ [b:3awnsnxa][url=http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2143305-10444737:3awnsnxa]Get a Free Ink Cart!!![/url:3awnsnxa][/b:3awnsnxa] ¦ [b:3awnsnxa][url=http://tinyurl.com/yettlvv:3awnsnxa]Quins RL T-Shirts, BRAND NEW DESIGNS[/url:3awnsnxa][/b:3awnsnxa]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1408.jpg

Quote: King Street Cat "It's not an event I'm going to lose much sleep over missing. If however I'd worked my rocks off to get tickets for a favourite band and lost out to the touts I'd be turning up to the venue and kicking some heads in! Although it's unlikely to happen with the amount of pre-sale and priority schemes I've signed up for to avoid the disappointment of losing out to fly by night touts.'"

You mean the same pre-sale and priority schemes the touts use? icon_lol.gif

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: JerryChicken "You don't "force" anyone to buy anything that they don't want, no-one ever bought a ticket (or any other product) from a reseller with a gun pointed at their head especially a product in the entertainment genre where you can pay a fraction of the reseller price (or free) to watch the same product online rather than live - yes its not the same "experience" but THAT is what you pay the premium for and THAT is what your free choice in the matter is all about.

Criticising resellers who are not doing anything illegal (despite what the originators of the tickets may try to enforce) is simply criticising the capitalist way of life, where everything you buy has had a markup, or several markups, applied.'"

But in most areas of the economy the markup does actually include something extra. For instance whilst Tesco charges the consumer more for the products they sell than what they pay the supplier they are doing something beneficial to you. They're making those products more easily available to you by bringing them to a shop near to where you live.

With ticket touts/resellers they aren't doing anything extra. The tickets are just as easily available from the supplier (artist/venue/production/whatever) than they are from the ticket touts/resellers. The touts/resellers aren't bringing anything extra and simply making a profit from doing nothing.

If the supplier (artist/venue/whatever) wants to use the supply & demand format to its full extent they could charge more than they currently release the tickets for (as the price is then jacked up by the touts/resellers afterwards). At least then that profit would be going to a person/organisation who's created something in the economy.

Personally I think that tickets for any events/gigs etc shouldn't be allowed to be resold over their face value. It would stop the touts/resellers buying up tickets on spec and open it up to the public more.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67953_1341943970.jpg

Quote: Him "But in most areas of the economy the markup does actually include something extra. For instance whilst Tesco charges the consumer more for the products they sell than what they pay the supplier they are doing something beneficial to you. They're making those products more easily available to you by bringing them to a shop near to where you live.

With ticket touts/resellers they aren't doing anything extra. The tickets are just as easily available from the supplier (artist/venue/production/whatever) than they are from the ticket touts/resellers. The touts/resellers aren't bringing anything extra and simply making a profit from doing nothing.'"

You've just answered your own question - when the tickets are just as easily available from the original supplier then you will find no reseller business to be had, its when there are NO tickets available from the original supplier that the reselling operation kicks in, or when purchasing tickets from a reseller is just more convenient - for instance you missed out online & couldn't take time off work to go queue for them, so you buy them on the night on the street from some dodgy geezer.

Quote: Him "If the supplier (artist/venue/whatever) wants to use the supply & demand format to its full extent they could charge more than they currently release the tickets for (as the price is then jacked up by the touts/resellers afterwards). At least then that profit would be going to a person/organisation who's created something in the economy.'"

I thought they were already doing a fine job of that, when a friend of mine told me that he'd just shelled out £170 to see Fleetwood Mac next summer I thought he'd bought a whole block of tickets and was going to ask him how many he had and if there were any spares - turned out that he'd just bought two tickets, its personal choice of course and I suspect that the promoter would have sold those tickets at double that price had he only had the balls to ask, but when Fleetwood Mac started out in the 1960s did they ever believe that one day their live shows would only be viewed by millionaires?

Quote: Him "Personally I think that tickets for any events/gigs etc shouldn't be allowed to be resold over their face value. It would stop the touts/resellers buying up tickets on spec and open it up to the public more.'"

Welcome to capitalism and if you are looking for sympathy to your cause from this current government then good luck with that.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2412
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Jan 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
24692.jpg
[b:3ldafglw][url=http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/gallery/Designer/piemandan:3ldafglw]Custom Wigan RL skins for Firefox[/url:3ldafglw][/b:3ldafglw] [quote="BBC":3ldafglw]St Helens, due to move out of their 120-year-old ground at the end of the season, desperately wanted to mark the occasion with a victory in front of a full house.... And Wigan were left celebrating inside the enemy camp for the first time since September 2003.[/quote:3ldafglw] [b:3ldafglw][url=http://www.pond5.com/artist/dan_mcmlxxxviii:3ldafglw]Sunset Stock Footage[/url:3ldafglw][/b:3ldafglw]:24692.jpg

Quote: Cronus "Rubbish. Don't pretend you're providing a service or are some essential part of the supply chain. You're not.

Don't like the truth? Don't rip people off and brag about it.'"

Blimey, do you get this annoyed when paying for petrol in a built up area?

It was already mentioned earlier on in the the thread, Ticketmaster OWN a company that provides a reseller service. If there was no demand for these things, the supply would dry up and no doubt the law would reflect this change.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif

Quote: JerryChicken "You've just answered your own question - when the tickets are just as easily available from the original supplier then you will find no reseller business to be had, its when there are NO tickets available from the original supplier that the reselling operation kicks in, or when purchasing tickets from a reseller is just more convenient - for instance you missed out online & couldn't take time off work to go queue for them, so you buy them on the night on the street from some dodgy geezer.'"

That's the issue. Modern touts aren't simply servicing a gap in the market as you describe, they're actually creating their own market buy buying in bulk and denying fans a fair shot at a ticket in the first instance. The Monty Python tour is a good example - within a few hours of tickets going on sale, nearly 6,000 were online at massively inflated prices. 6,000 tickets lost to genuine fans, who then have to enter the dirty world of touting and line the pockets of some rip-off merchant if they really want to go.

That's the modern norm and happens to varying degrees for every big gig.

Many of these tout firms are using netbots to bypass security protocols and buy in bulk. A genuine reselling market - ie, if someone has a ticket but can't attend for some reason - is something else entirely and while there is clearly a market for that, I suspect it's relatively small.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif

Quote: piemandan "It was already mentioned earlier on in the the thread, Ticketmaster OWN a company that provides a reseller service. If there was no demand for these things, the supply would dry up and no doubt the law would reflect this change.'"

As mentioned above, a genuine reselling market is something else entirely, and of course there is some demand for that.

What you parasites are doing is nothing more than ripping people off to line your own pockets. It's not a service, it's opportunist profit-making at the expense of normal people. I blame the government in part for not having the balls or nouse to get a grip and until they do, nasty little people like you will continue to scam people out of money.

I rate you no better than the 'travellers' who use 'driveway resurfacing scams' to rip off the vulnerable.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4697No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200916 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2015Apr 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
41913_1351384834.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_41913.jpg

Haven't most venues and concert promoters pretty much outsourced nearly all ticketing arrangements for concerts to ticket companies anyway? I'm going to a concert at the o2 Academy in Leeds next year. I bought the ticket from eventim simply because it came up as a promoted link when I was doing a search. I just went and checked if I overpaid by trying the o2 Academy website. Trying to buy from the o2 website sends you straight to ticketweb, a company owned by Ticketmaster.

My guess is that online ticket companies pay a very high percentage of the ticket price straight to the venues and promoters. Their basic costs are pretty much covered with their annoying booking charges, but the major profits will be made by charging ridiculous prices for the first few rows and for last minute tickets. I don't think venues were ever in a position to do that so they are happy to have the separation.

RankPostsTeam
International Star210No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Sep 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Whenever I've been to watch a test match/ODI I've always turned up on the day without a ticket, I've never failed to get a ticket below face value. Once it was half price. These are from touts or from people with a spare as a mate/client can't make it. Tout's have to sell, even if it's for a tenner for a fifty quid ticket, it's not like they can wait a couple of days to get their best price.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14845No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
143_1357419061.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_143.jpg

Quote: BobbyD "Whenever I've been to watch a test match/ODI I've always turned up on the day without a ticket, I've never failed to get a ticket below face value. Once it was half price. These are from touts or from people with a spare as a mate/client can't make it. Tout's have to sell, even if it's for a tenner for a fifty quid ticket, it's not like they can wait a couple of days to get their best price.'"

Yes. Just leave it to a minute before KO and then use logic - take what I offer or lose the full amount. Works - especially if you are not to worried about getting in and so are prepared to leave it until the last minute.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2412
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2022Jan 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
24692.jpg
[b:3ldafglw][url=http://www.getpersonas.com/en-US/gallery/Designer/piemandan:3ldafglw]Custom Wigan RL skins for Firefox[/url:3ldafglw][/b:3ldafglw] [quote="BBC":3ldafglw]St Helens, due to move out of their 120-year-old ground at the end of the season, desperately wanted to mark the occasion with a victory in front of a full house.... And Wigan were left celebrating inside the enemy camp for the first time since September 2003.[/quote:3ldafglw] [b:3ldafglw][url=http://www.pond5.com/artist/dan_mcmlxxxviii:3ldafglw]Sunset Stock Footage[/url:3ldafglw][/b:3ldafglw]:24692.jpg

Quote: Cronus "As mentioned above, a genuine reselling market is something else entirely, and of course there is some demand for that.

What you parasites are doing is nothing more than ripping people off to line your own pockets. It's not a service, it's opportunist profit-making at the expense of normal people. I blame the government in part for not having the balls or nouse to get a grip and until they do, nasty little people like you will continue to scam people out of money.

I rate you no better than the 'travellers' who use 'driveway resurfacing scams' to rip off the vulnerable.'"

Fair enough, but I'm not convinced I have ever sold tickets to 'vulnerable' people. That's ridiculous icon_lol.gif

78 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
78 posts in 6 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.076171875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Boss Hog
0m
Film game
Wanderer
1m