FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Sin Bin > No More Arguments: Austerity is Working!
723 posts in 49 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
International Star210No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Sep 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: JerryChicken "It ain't over yet, not by a long way rlhttp://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/12/12/george-osborne-welfare_n_4430917.html?utm_hp_ref.

In order to sell the idea of swingeing cuts to the benefits bill in the next term he is going to have to start telling some whoppers in order to get the Murdoch press reading public onside, which is basically all he has to do to get re-elected, stand by for some epic "scroungers" tales to come in the next 15 months so that white-van-man and you taxi cab drivers convince themselves that its the crippled and insane that are robbing tax from their wallets (when they pay any).'"

It's a sound strategy, as Rachel "tougher than the Tories" Reeves has decided. Still, no doubt in 2015 the "Big 2" will be cast into the wilderness by the voters aghast at these policies.

DHM
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach8893
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Apr 2024Apr 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
25511_1478008518.jpg
"Well, I think in Rugby League if you head butt someone there's normally some repercusions":d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_25511.jpg

I genuinely wouldn't know who to vote for now. Maybe it's time for a new Guy Fawkes (a more successful one). Clear the lot out and start again. Mind you there are still plenty of public schoolboys with an over inflated sense of entitlement out there, we will never run out of those. The party they join depends on how wet or dry they are 1. had your lunch money stolen, know your place, bullied mercilessly, fagging for the big boys but still an arrogant little S4h!t with a superiority complex over the masses - LibDem: 2. cardigan, in a band, smoke a bit of weed, Daddy a bit of a leftie, not allowed into any secret societies, Labour: 3. stole lunch money, had a fag, regularly vomit on an underling after consuming too much champagne and fois gras, wear rediculous Voctorian era clothes, member of secret society, Tory.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3853
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53838_1362327793.jpg
And so you aim towards the sky, And you'll rise high today, Fly away, Far away, Far from pain....:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_53838.jpg

As above - If there was an election tomorrow, I would not vote, simple as, and that would be for the first time in the 26 years I've been eligible to do so.

The Tories are rotten to the core, always have been, always will be.... The Lib Dems are just useless chancers - They know they are a pointless minority, an irritant on the political landscape, yet are constantly looking for a way to wheedle themselves into some sort of power, even being prepared to sell all their principles so as to being able to cosy up with whoever is in power..... As for Labour - For a party that should be the voice of those in the most peril from such an uncaring government, they are totally inept... Ed Milliband is hopeless. The majority of his shadow cabinet are equally awful - I don't know a single one of them who appeals in the slightest to me.

We all know that Tony Blair wasn't the messiah that many of his initial worshippers hoped he would be, but UK politics desperately needs somebody of his charisma to bring some vision and hope back to the political scene.... Democracy is slowly dying in this country, simply because the public don't care any more about charisma-free monotones offering nothing fresh or nothing that offers any hope to the vast majority.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member37704No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2051.jpg
The older I get, the better I was Advice is what we seek when we already know the answer - but wish we didn't I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full-frontal lobotomy ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ kirkstaller wrote: "All DNA shows is that we have a common creator." cod'ead wrote: "I have just snotted weissbier all over my keyboard & screen" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin." - Aneurin Bevan:2051.jpg

Quote: Dita's Slot Meter "

We all know that Tony Blair wasn't the messiah that many of his initial worshippers hoped he would be, but UK politics desperately needs somebody of his charisma to bring some vision and hope back to the political scene.... Democracy is slowly dying in this country, simply because the public don't care any more about charisma-free monotones offering nothing fresh or nothing that offers any hope to the vast majority.'"

The last thing I want to see, after Camoron and Blair is someone with "charisma", I'd far rather see some policies that will help address the growing inequality in this country. Both Cameron and Blair hads charisma, what they both lacked was an ability to resist the neoliberalism that now blights the developed world, where the market is seen as everything and service is a dirty word. It's high time neoliberalism was shown up for what it is: an expectation to privatise profits, knowing full well that the state will cover any losses. The banks are but the prime example.

So stuff charisma, give me substance

RankPostsTeam
International Star3853
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Sep 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
53838_1362327793.jpg
And so you aim towards the sky, And you'll rise high today, Fly away, Far away, Far from pain....:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_53838.jpg

Quote: cod'ead "The last thing I want to see, after Camoron and Blair is someone with "charisma", I'd far rather see some policies that will help address the growing inequality in this country. Both Cameron and Blair hads charisma, what they both lacked was an ability to resist the neoliberalism that now blights the developed world, where the market is seen as everything and service is a dirty word. It's high time neoliberalism was shown up for what it is

I agree with what you say with regards to needing politicians with substance, but there can be no denying that Blair, in the run up to his election and in the initial honeymoon period as PM, really seemed to offer something fresh, a refreshing vision to the awful stink that the Tories had become in their final years under Major.

Presently, we have zilch, absolutely nothing, from any of the major parties - Its little wonder that minority, crackpot parties like UKIP are managing to garner support in areas where they should be laughed out of town.

Of course, we want substance and not false promises, but I think firstly we need somebody, or something to wake up a disinterested public, otherwise democracy may as well be done away with, because having elections, where only a third of those eligible to vote are doing so, just become an embarrassing sham and give little authority to those who somehow find themselves in ultimate power.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12727
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

What really grinds is when its nigh on impossible to vote for the party that used to be important and meant something to you growing up.
I haven't been able to vote for my party, the Labour Party, for many many years.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1011
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Aug 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

And now a Tory think tank has come up with the idea of only paying benefits for the first two children.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/12 ... ref=topbar

This coming from the same guy who claimed on expenses to heat his stables.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/11 ... 50907.html
And now a Tory think tank has come up with the idea of only paying benefits for the first two children.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/12 ... ref=topbar

This coming from the same guy who claimed on expenses to heat his stables.

www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/11 ... 50907.html

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member47951No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1977_1349889235.jpg
"You are working for Satan." [i:2886spie]Kirkstaller[/i:2886spie] "Dare to know!" [i:2886spie]Immanuel Kant[/i:2886spie] "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive" [i:2886spie]Elbert Hubbard[/i:2886spie] "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." [i:2886spie]Oscar Wilde[/i:2886spie] [url=http://thevoluptuousmanifesto.blogspot.co.uk:2886spie][color=#4000FF:2886spie]The Voluptuous Manifesto[/color:2886spie][/url:2886spie] – thoughts on all sorts of stuff.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1977.jpg

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2051.jpg
The older I get, the better I was Advice is what we seek when we already know the answer - but wish we didn't I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full-frontal lobotomy ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ kirkstaller wrote: "All DNA shows is that we have a common creator." cod'ead wrote: "I have just snotted weissbier all over my keyboard & screen" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin." - Aneurin Bevan:2051.jpg

We need to find a way to reverse the stigmatisation of accepting the benefits of a welfare state, especially as the vast majority of the population are indeed recipients of that state.

I was born four years after the creation of the welfare state. Born in a dedicated maternity hospital with all the available care in reach if required, instead of born in my mother's bed iwth the only "experienced" care coming "Betty down the street" because my mam & dad couldn't afford to pay a doctor's and/or midwife's bill.

I benefited from free (at the point of delivery), healthcare and schooling. My mother never received any family allowance for me because it was only paid for second and subsequent children. I left school at sixteen and from the following April paid income tax and NI without grumble or complaint because I knew that the state would use my contributions to look after me in my dotage. Unfortunately now I'm reaching pensionable age, I find that the state has reneged on that promise, I'll need to keep on working just to simply subsist. All my contributions to basic NI, SERPS, various company and private schemes will amount to around 4/5ths of buggerall.

The only thing austerity has brought is more misery for the less well-off in order to create ever more wealth for those who didn't need the money anyway. A determined, as opposed to the half-a[ir[/ised window dressing, exercise in tackling tax avoidance and evasion would result in no need for austerity. Concentrating on tackling "benefit fraud" while basically ignoring tax evasion and avoidance is peverse but just about sums up what the tories are, always have been and always will be about.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1978No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2023Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22483_1351031655.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_22483.jpg

It will be 'worse' under Labour.

www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... es-welfare

The welfare state has ballooned to a ridiculous size over the last decade. It's much harder to shrink it than expand it. Thankfully all major parties recognised that it needs to be smaller.
It will be 'worse' under Labour.

www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... es-welfare

The welfare state has ballooned to a ridiculous size over the last decade. It's much harder to shrink it than expand it. Thankfully all major parties recognised that it needs to be smaller.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2051.jpg

Quote: Mintball "This bloke is another nasty, snout-in-the-trough piece of work.

I'm curious as to what he would 'think' a family should do if, for argument's sake, they have triplets while not claiming benefits and then later need to claim benefits.'"

Maybe it's a result of Cameron's recent visit to China and he was so impressed with China's "one child policy"?

Interesting to note that MPs are allowed to claim up to rl£2,425 per dependent child simply for visiting.rl

rlZahawi's They Work for You pagerl

RankPostsTeam
International Star210No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Sep 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: cod'ead "Concentrating on tackling "benefit fraud" while basically ignoring tax evasion and avoidance is peverse but just about sums up what the tories are, always have been and always will be about.'"

You mean apart from the tax agreement thing with Switzerland that the coalition started in January this year? Still, it never quite brought in the £3bn projected, just less than £1bn I think the figures show. Which is still £1bn more than anyone thought would be recouped. Perhaps those on benefits are squirreling away their hard earned in Geneva.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14845No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
143_1357419061.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_143.jpg

The Lichrenstein Disclosure Facility has generated several times the £1 billion originally forecast. To be fair to the coalition they have done more to counter tax evasion than Labour did.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67953_1341943970.jpg
Someday everything is gonna be different, when I paint my masterpiece ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://garykitchen.co.uk/:lnkxkae0]Online art gallery, selling original landscape artwork[/url:lnkxkae0] ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://jerrychicken.wordpress.com/:lnkxkae0]JerryChicken - The Blog[/url:lnkxkae0] ----------------------------------------------------------:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67953.jpg

Quote: Dally "The Lichrenstein Disclosure Facility has generated several times the £1 billion originally forecast. To be fair to the coalition they have done more to counter tax evasion than Labour did.'"

This is true but the new IT system that identifies irregularities in tax payments and/or earnings declared is based on a "best guess" and throws up some nightmare stories - my brother for instance has had the bailiffs calling at his house on several occasions chasing an imaginary tax boll of £2000, yes HMRC have sold a debt of £2000 to a private collection agency who get given short shrift each time they call because he does not owe the money at all, but HMRC's new software had guestimated that he perhaps does.

In August after two years of protracted phone calls and chasing nameless faceless individuals around the country to try and get an answer he presented himself at our local tax office at a pre-arranged appointment to sort it all out, after twenty minutes discussion he was told that his appointment was concluded, not that they had concluded the matter, just that they were only allowed to discuss individuals matters for twenty minutes - he refused to leave until they had reached an agreement.

Eventually after a manager got involved they finally got to the bottom of the £2000 tax bill - they thought he was still a company director even though they had been informed five years ago that he wasn't and had been filling in the correct employee (company car) assessments ever since - his total tax liability to them was £56.

I don't know how he kept his temper in there but he insisted that they got the payments section on the phone there and then and he paid the £56 on a debit card and bade them a good day - I have no doubt whatsoever that there are probably tens of thousands like him that owe nothing like the amounts that their fabulous new computer software guestimates - if they feed it shoite then thats what it spits out.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach16257
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200420 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
10289_1326111229.png
Challenge Cup winners 2009 2010 2012 2019 League Leaders 2011 2016:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_10289.png

Quote: Lord Elpers "

Of course there is a long way to go and nobody is pretending, least of all Osborne, that the return of growth has solved Britain’s problems at a stroke. But as has been reported, a Rubicon has been crossed and those who said austerity would inflict a permanent deep freeze on the economy have indeed been proved wrong, as they have in previous economic recovery in this country. It is not just a political victory but “the intellectual debate has been settled in favour of the minority who stated that the economy could grow through a period of necessary action to cut a budget deficit that had ballooned alarmingly” as David Smith put it.

You may recall the economy dropped by 7.2% in 2008-9 before this government started their task.

Normally growth of 1.4% would be a disappointment and the OBR forecast of 2.4% for year is at best just average, but we are in unusual times and our quarterly growth of 0.8% in the third quarter was good enough to take Britain to the top of the G7 league for a few hours until America revised theirs upwards to 0.9%.

So scoff all you like but this is some achievement given that this government has endured a greater handicap than other economies with factors peculiar to Britain eg

Lets be fair here UK GDP grew at 2.4% in the first year following the recession (Q3 2009 till Q3 2010) which was the year in the run up to the Coalition taking office.

It does amuse me how you get Tories now desperate to talk up these figures accusing Labour and left wing commentators of being unhappy that the economy has returned to growth and talking down the economy etc....can you remember the rhetoric we had from the Tories in the run up to the election when the economy was growing at what is more or less a normal long term trend rate.

The only reason this slow return to growth looks good is because the economy stagnated for the first 2.5 years under the Coalition so it is a recovery compared to that but not compared to the last year under Labour.

The reason Gordon Brown's line in the election campaign was "don't let the Tories threaten the recovery" was exactly because the UK economy was recovering. It went in to stagnation after the Coalition took over they just made sure they blamed Labour for it....

723 posts in 49 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
723 posts in 49 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.48583984375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Rule changes
Wires71
6m
Recruitment rumours and links
Wires71
8m