FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Sin Bin > Ding Dong the wicked witch is dead...
1031 posts in 70 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member37704No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2051.jpg
The older I get, the better I was Advice is what we seek when we already know the answer - but wish we didn't I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full-frontal lobotomy ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ kirkstaller wrote: "All DNA shows is that we have a common creator." cod'ead wrote: "I have just snotted weissbier all over my keyboard & screen" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin." - Aneurin Bevan:2051.jpg

Quote: David Titan "Have you not noticed that we have not had to beg the IMF for a bailout since 1979? Or that bodies are buried now or that people work the full 5 days or that power cuts are a rarity? Or that even the "very poor" are able to afford TVs, cars, smart-phones, 3 meals a day, computer game consoles, holidays, clothes etc?'"

The dead are not buried immediately, as I pointed out on an earlier post.

The 3 day week and power cuts happened under a tory watch.

It may suprise you but most poeple had TVs in the 1970s and many did not need cars because we had a working and affordable public transport system. Most had 3 meals a day and many could afford holidays too. Smart phones and game consoles hadn't been invented

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member4961
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2024Feb 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2334_1318529805.png
There's Only One F in Wakefield:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2334.png

Quote: cod'ead "The dead are not buried immediately, as I pointed out on an earlier post.

The 3 day week and power cuts happened under a tory watch.

It may suprise you but most poeple had TVs in the 1970s and many did not need cars because we had a working and affordable public transport system. Most had 3 meals a day and many could afford holidays too. Smart phones and game consoles hadn't been invented'"

3 day week caused by the unions coming out on strike, not the tories and cars were also not required as people tended to live in closer communities with everyone living and working in the same area.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach16170No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200816 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Oct 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
40218_1286737075.jpg
Success is not final; failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. (Winston Churchill):d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_40218.jpg

Quote: cod'ead "The dead are not buried immediately, as I pointed out on an earlier post.'"

Indeed. But they are not just left to back up either.

Quote: cod'ead "The 3 day week and power cuts happened under a tory watch.'"

That would be as a result of the miners' (many) strikes plus any other union who felt like sending along a flying picket or two.

Quote: cod'ead "It may suprise you but most poeple had TVs in the 1970s '"

Mostly black and white.

Quote: cod'ead "and many did not need cars because we had a working and affordable public transport system. '"

Cars were largely beyond the ability of most people to afford. That we couldn't afford cars meant that people continued to use the public transport system, which was heavily subsidised by the people who used the public transport system, having to pay for it twice over.

Quote: cod'ead "Most had 3 meals a day and many could afford holidays too. '"

Mostly in the UK though.

Quote: cod'ead "Smart phones and game consoles hadn't been invented'"

Toasters had though.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach1230No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Feb 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Dally "But you've accepted youself that you've been born into the UK at its wealthiest time in history. Surely, that says something to you?

For all their faults the baby boomers were born in the austerity of Post WW2 Britain with rationing, etc. From the bankrupt ashes of WW2 Britain their parents and them have built a country for your generation that is the richest it has ever been. Maybe if you encouraged your generation to "party" less and show a bit of responsibility and drive your generation could take us forward as far again over the next 60 odd years? Do I expect it? No - born too rich to have any desire or drive.'"

Yes it is at its wealthiest, but wealth is no longer increasing and in the coming years it will decline. As I have told you the problems are so myriad and so deep that nothing can be done down. In 11 years of government, the most principled and determined prime minister of the 20th century was only able to reverse one aspect of British decline - the economy. She was unable to reverse any other aspect of national decline. Given that the problems facing Britain have grown exponentially since then, Labour have managed once more to ruin the national economy (but this time on a larger and more lasting scale than ever before), and every area of public life is riddled with corruption, selfishness and cowardice there is absolutely no amount of drive or action that remedy the situation.

Regarding post-war Britain, the Baby-Boomers rebuilt the economy on the fragile foundations of State spending, welfarism and American loans. It was the post-war Butskellite consensus that destroyed the traditional independence and innovative spirit of the British people, and it replaced with the principles of dependency, idleness and envy. The Baby-Boomers threw away the British empire and made us economically dependent of the US, and political satrap of Germany, so that we could establish a healthcare system that is the second worst in the developed world.

The establishment of the welfare state and nationalised economy in 1945, for noble reasons, which formed the basis of your great economic recovery sowed the seeds for the belief in cradle-to-grave State benefits, massive public spending and massive debt. We saw the consequences of the nationalisation of industry in the 70s, we are seeing the consequences of welfarism today. Great legacy the baby-boomers built and left - potentially the end of Western civilisation and certainly the end of the West has the leading power in the world. Congratulations on destroying hundreds of years of history in just a few decades.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator12488No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200717 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2023Mar 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
disney/00004.gif
Huddersfield Giants 2013 over achievers Huddersfield Giants 2014 under achievers ??????????:disney/00004.gif

Quote: Hessle Roader "Don't judge someone by what they don't say. I was well into my 40's when she came to power and am fully aware of what went on. To say the problems in this country are down to the actions of one person is the most myopic view I have ever come across. Just ask yourself why such actions were taken. I didn't want to live in a country which was getting as close to anarchy as it was at that time. You may fool the young people on here but there are those of us who know better. Nobody is trying to muzzle those people who feel it necessary to rejoice in the death of someone but nor should they be applauded. Shall we celebrate in a similar manner when new Labour Tony finally pops his clogs. No, why would we, he's been Mr. Moderate and squeaky clean hasn't he, or perhaps not.'"

Ken Loach has responded to your post and sums it up for me.

Quote: Hessle Roader "Margaret Thatcher was the most divisive and destructive Prime Minister of modern times.

Mass Unemployment, factory closures, communities destroyed – this is her legacy. She was a fighter and her enemy was the British working class. Her victories were aided by the politically corrupt leaders of the Labour Party and of many Trades Unions. It is because of policies begun by her that we are in this mess today.

Other prime ministers have followed her path, notably Tony Blair. She was the organ grinder, he was the monkey.

Remember she called Mandela a terrorist and took tea with the torturer and murderer Pinochet.

How should we honour her? Let’s privatise her funeral. Put it out to competitive tender and accept the cheapest bid. It’s what she would have wanted.
'"

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14845No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
143_1357419061.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_143.jpg

Quote: David Titan "Regarding post-war Britain, the Baby-Boomers rebuilt the economy on the fragile foundations of State spending, welfarism and American loans. It was the post-war Butskellite consensus that destroyed the traditional independence and innovative spirit of the British people, and it replaced with the principles of dependency, idleness and envy. The Baby-Boomers threw away the British empire and made us economically dependent of the US, and political satrap of Germany, so that we could establish a healthcare system that is the second worst in the developed world.

The establishment of the welfare state and nationalised economy in 1945, for noble reasons, which formed the basis of your great economic recovery sowed the seeds for the belief in cradle-to-grave State benefits, massive public spending and massive debt. We saw the consequences of the nationalisation of industry in the 70s, we are seeing the consequences of welfarism today. Great legacy the baby-boomers built and left - potentially the end of Western civilisation and certainly the end of the West has the leading power in the world. Congratulations on destroying hundreds of years of history in just a few decades.'"

Didn't governments encourage welarism by encouraging and judging people incapacitated so they could pretend unemployment was lower than it was? Don't they now have high employers NI when they know it causes poverty through part-time working because they can say how many private sector jobs have been created and pretend unemployment is low?

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member9565No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2019Dec 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif
:fonds noir/Buzz Lightyear.gif

My major issue with Thatcher's policies around labour issues was the dogged refusal to understand that the US model she so admired simply wouldn't work in the UK.

The 'on yer bike' attitude to labour mobility was based on the hugely flawed assumption that workers would move to wherever work was available. In the US that works to a degree unmatched anywhere in the world, with lots of large population centres, relatively cheap housing across the country, and a population that understands that if they don't work they will become very poor very quickly.

In the UK, mobility was always limited by vast cost differentials between north ond south, a benefits system that in some cases actively disincentivised moving to look for work, and the simple fact that such large-scale geographical movement was always going to prove impossible in a country as small as Britain (completely different issues from the industrial revolution before anybody raises that one).

The model was also flawed because - again following the US - it assumed that new industry would spring up to replace the manufacturing that was killed in the process of modernising the economy. Services were never going to replace manufacturing in the numbers required in the short-term, and never would in the single-industry towns and cities.

What we got instead of genuinely awful manufacturers dying and being replaced with a combination of services and better, non-unionised (and therefore competitive) manufacturing was significant areas of the country living in an economic wasteland, whilst others (notably the already relatively better-off south east) boomed on the back of weakened unions. In addition we had good manufacturers being killed along with the bad.

OTOH the unions had to be taken on and brought to some semblance of reality. No amount of left-wing red-tinted spectacles could deny that the country was in an absolute mess when Thatcher took over, and that the unions were helping to destroy industries very effectively without any political intervention being required. Thatcher recognised that, and was helped in no small part by the idiocy of 'leaders' like Scargill, whose own actions (refusing to hold an up-to-date ballot for strike action for example) played right into the Tories hands.

Thatcher's model was flawed, and she seemingly cared very little for the impact of her policies on people and communities, helping to create a far more selfish society as a whole. But OTOH it could be argued that without a certain dogmatic 'toughness' which brought the bad with the good, she'd never have been able to drag the country forward the way she did.

Thatcher will always be hugely divisive. Like all such leaders, I expect she could never quite understand why her own party kicked her out, or why she was detested by so many people across the country.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach2054
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28029_1671444168.jpg
Don't think i'm biased... ...i'm just very narrow minded!!!!!!!:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28029.jpg

Think its an absolute disgrace that Mods not only allow this thread to continue, but actually take glee in someones death. But then again its not as if any of you actually have the balls or ability to do anything as huge as lead a country is it?

Lets hope you all get more sympathy in your demise!!!

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2051.jpg
The older I get, the better I was Advice is what we seek when we already know the answer - but wish we didn't I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full-frontal lobotomy ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ kirkstaller wrote: "All DNA shows is that we have a common creator." cod'ead wrote: "I have just snotted weissbier all over my keyboard & screen" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin." - Aneurin Bevan:2051.jpg

Quote: bullinenemyland "

Lets hope you all get more sympathy in your demise!!!'"

Couldn't give a toss pal. I'll be dead

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach12733
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200915 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Oh what a beautiful morning...
Oh what a beautiful day...........

Another positive about the bonkers old bitch dying is that Susanna Reid looks fit as fook in black.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member18789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2690.jpg
:2690.jpg

The good Lady died at The Ritz hotel. What a lovely way to go in such splendid surroundings. Very fitting. Looking forward to seeing reviews of her life and brilliant career on various TV channels over the coming weeks. It'll be like watching blockbuster movies. Be sure to tune in.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17898
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Aug 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7384_1394882426.png
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/14252202:io879g1y]2005 Challenge Cup[/url:io879g1y] To reconcile respect with practicality, what is the optimum speed for a hearse?:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7384.png

Quote: WIZEB "Oh what a beautiful morning...
Oh what a beautiful day...........

Another positive about the bonkers old bitch dying is that Susanna Reid looks fit as fook in black.'"

icon_thumb.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star582No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 201213 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2013May 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

In Tony, we trust.:

Luke 23-34
Forgive them Lord for they know not what they do.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member18789No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2023Mar 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2690.jpg
:2690.jpg

Amen to that.

Alas, no resurrection. Only insurrection.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2051.jpg

And in something of fitting irony, the BBC originally reported

1031 posts in 70 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
1031 posts in 70 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.3759765625:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Recruitment rumours and links
Kevin Turvey
7m
Transfer Talk / Rumour thread V4
Jrrhino
11m