FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Sin Bin > Deepest recession in 100 year ?
426 posts in 29 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
International Star17951
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

So, and additional circa 800,000 already unemployed plus 3.5 million furloughed, with maybe half ? of those at risk of not having a job to go back to when the dust begins to settle.
As yet, no clear plan of how to get the nation working again and the "hole" getting bigger by the day.

Is it time for some stronger government, helping to identify those industries that can get moving quickly or do we just keep borrowing until this is all over ?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "So, and additional circa 800,000 already unemployed plus 3.5 million furloughed, with maybe half ? of those at risk of not having a job to go back to when the dust begins to settle.
As yet, no clear plan of how to get the nation working again and the "hole" getting bigger by the day.

Is it time for some stronger government, helping to identify those industries that can get moving quickly or do we just keep borrowing until this is all over ?'"

Until demand picks up businesses will not go back whilst ever the furlough scheme is in place. Most business could return very safely it is not difficult - yes will people get within 2 metres of course they will unavoidable 100% of the time - we are humans we like herding. If you cannot get the unions to accept any return to work can never be 100% risk free you have a problem. Waiting for a vaccine is non-runner it is as always an appetite for risk?

Will their be short term 3/4m unemployed very likely but it will be short term I suspect 1.5m structural unemployed in 18 months time.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17951
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Sal Paradise "Until demand picks up businesses will not go back whilst ever the furlough scheme is in place. Most business could return very safely it is not difficult - yes will people get within 2 metres of course they will unavoidable 100% of the time - we are humans we like herding. If you cannot get the unions to accept any return to work can never be 100% risk free you have a problem. Waiting for a vaccine is non-runner it is as always an appetite for risk?

Will their be short term 3/4m unemployed very likely but it will be short term I suspect 1.5m structural unemployed in 18 months time.'"

We are all in a quite precarious position.
If the "lockdown" is eased too much, we will be back to square one, with the virus spreading as it did at the beginning of the outbreak, which would render the pain and economic meltdown of the last few months as wasted and pointless.
Where you do start to wonder about our government strategy is that we were just a few weeks behind Italy but, we look like taking significantly longer to open up to the level that they are currently at ?

Also, regarding the speed at which unemployment may drop, where on earth does your optimism come from ?
Companies are going to go mean and lean until there is some certainty about any 2nd wave and indications from The WHO are that there will be a return of the virus in the winter, which would massively affect any "bounce".

The only positive here will be if Trump continues with his personal drug trials, which will have a positive outcome one way or the other.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 "We are all in a quite precarious position.
If the "lockdown" is eased too much, we will be back to square one, with the virus spreading as it did at the beginning of the outbreak, which would render the pain and economic meltdown of the last few months as wasted and pointless.
Where you do start to wonder about our government strategy is that we were just a few weeks behind Italy but, we look like taking significantly longer to open up to the level that they are currently at ?

Also, regarding the speed at which unemployment may drop, where on earth does your optimism come from ?
Companies are going to go mean and lean until there is some certainty about any 2nd wave and indications from The WHO are that there will be a return of the virus in the winter, which would massively affect any "bounce".

The only positive here will be if Trump continues with his personal drug trials, which will have a positive outcome one way or the other.'"

I am looking at my own business and we have recovered from 50% early lockdown we now at 75% and I know I am not alone in my sector which suggests that the economy is moving forward. So it doesn't take a huge leap of faith to suggest in 18 months we will be back to where we were.

I think there is a lot of talk about a second wave - this wave will have killed 60k the vast majority of which are elderly with underlying conditions - so that's 60k of 65m yes it is very sad but to suggest a second wave will cause economic meltdown is way off the mark for me. The vast majority of fit working people will be very moderately impacted by the virus.

What will happen is the good businesses will survive and grow - the bad businesses that have dragged the economy back will be gone - no bad thing in opinion. We will be a leaner/meaner workforce - nothing new for me or many well run businesses.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17951
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Sal Paradise "I am looking at my own business and we have recovered from 50% early lockdown we now at 75% and I know I am not alone in my sector which suggests that the economy is moving forward. So it doesn't take a huge leap of faith to suggest in 18 months we will be back to where we were.

I think there is a lot of talk about a second wave - this wave will have killed 60k the vast majority of which are elderly with underlying conditions - so that's 60k of 65m yes it is very sad but to suggest a second wave will cause economic meltdown is way off the mark for me. The vast majority of fit working people will be very moderately impacted by the virus.

What will happen is the good businesses will survive and grow - the bad businesses that have dragged the economy back will be gone - no bad thing in opinion. We will be a leaner/meaner workforce - nothing new for me or many well run businesses.'"

Wow, just wow and for those who have been forced out of business by "lockdown", unlucky eh ??
You seem unable to work out that if the virus numbers start to grow again, we would end up back in lockdown, unless the vaccine is found (and works).

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: wrencat1873 "Wow, just wow and for those who have been forced out of business bey "lockdown", unlucky eh ??
You seem unable to work out that if the virus numbers start to grow again, we would end up back in lockdown, unless the vaccine is found (and works).'"

Are their any countries that after relaxing lockdown have had to instigate the same level of lockdown as before?

We have never found a vaccine for a virus of this group - let's start to think of how we live with it?

The numbers will grow but who is dying - are they ones that are going to drive the economy or are they ones that no longer contribute - or they have done their bit?

RankPostsTeam
International Star17951
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Sal Paradise "Are their any countries that after relaxing lockdown have had to instigate the same level of lockdown as before?

We have never found a vaccine for a virus of this group - let's start to think of how we live with it?

The numbers will grow but who is dying - are they ones that are going to drive the economy or are they ones that no longer contribute - or they have done their bit?'"

Have you been foraging for mushrooms again ??

To answer your first point, not yet but, lock down is only just beginning to ease so, it's a little early to decide quite what will happen.

As for who is dying, yes, most seem to have some other underlying health issues but, the world has been in lockdown - to prevent the spread of the virus - therefore, if we are not in lockdown, the virus is likely to begin spreading again.

Surely, if it was neccessary to put the nation / world in lockdown in the first instance, it would likely be necessary to repeat the exercise if the number of cases grew again - if not, then why the hell did everyone go through the pain of the last 10 or so weeks.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: wrencat1873 "Have you been foraging for mushrooms again ??

To answer your first point, not yet but, lock down is only just beginning to ease so, it's a little early to decide quite what will happen.

As for who is dying, yes, most seem to have some other underlying health issues but, the world has been in lockdown - to prevent the spread of the virus - therefore, if we are not in lockdown, the virus is likely to begin spreading again.

Surely, if it was neccessary to put the nation / world in lockdown in the first instance, it would likely be necessary to repeat the exercise if the number of cases grew again - if not, then why the hell did everyone go through the pain of the last 10 or so weeks.'"

Many of these countries have been out of lockdown almost as long as we have been in - why did we have lockdown, because death of any nature is not acceptable to our culture - we must prevent death at all cost. In Sweden no lockdown and it has gone a lot better than it has for us.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17951
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Sal Paradise "Many of these countries have been out of lockdown almost as long as we have been in - why did we have lockdown, because death of any nature is not acceptable to our culture - we must prevent death at all cost. In Sweden no lockdown and it has gone a lot better than it has for us.'"

Oh dear, wrong twice icon_surprised.gifops:

We had lockdown, not because "death of any nature is not acceptable to our culture" but, to try and prevent our health system being over run with critical cases - you know, where they dont treat anyone because there just isn't room.

As for Sweden, they have certainly gone a different route and although their death rate is higher than ours (per 100,000 people), they have kept their ecconomy going AND of course, unlike the rest of us, there is no risk of a spike in deaths post lockdown, which puts them ahead in the "race" back to normality.
However, you have to look a little deeper into their population to see why they havent been affected "too badly".
They have a relatively small overall population in a relatively large country, far less densely populated than the UK and no cities of the size and density of say, London.
Add to that the huge percentage of people living by themselves, which prevents the virus spreading as quickly and they have, of course used social distancing, further reducing the spread.

If you look at places like London, with a huge number of people, ln a tight geographical area, plus the added pressures of the daily commute, it's not difficult to see why the virus grew quickly in that area and will do once more if the same numbers are on the move again.

RankPostsTeam
International Star76No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2020Aug 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
64863_1537634548.jpeg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_64863.jpeg

That’d be the Sweden who, in the last week, have had more deaths per capita than any other European country.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-healt ... KKBN22V26V
That’d be the Sweden who, in the last week, have had more deaths per capita than any other European country.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-healt ... KKBN22V26V

RankPostsTeam
International Star17951
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Star576
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201014 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
disney/00035.gif
:disney/00035.gif

Quote: wrencat1873 "Yes, that's what I'd posted but, their biggest advantage over every other nation is that they dont have to come out of lockdown.
Other nations risk a second wave / spike but, Sweden do not.

It's still too early to say whether they have got things right but, their ecconomy is certainly in better shape than anyone in Europe and probably most of the rest of the world.'"

So. which is it? Lockdown, risk two spikes in deaths, or No Lockdown, one spike, overall deaths comparable and a healthy economy.
If, and it's a big if, we get a second spike, it won't be as big as the first. It's a virus, it won't go away, we are unlikely to find a vaccine in the near future, and at some stage we are all going to have to be exposed to it. Sadly people will die. Same as it ever was.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17951
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Large Paws "So. which is it? Lockdown, risk two spikes in deaths, or No Lockdown, one spike, overall deaths comparable and a healthy economy.
If, and it's a big if, we get a second spike, it won't be as big as the first. It's a virus, it won't go away, we are unlikely to find a vaccine in the near future, and at some stage we are all going to have to be exposed to it. Sadly people will die. Same as it ever was.'"

What do you know about the second spike and why wont it be as large as the first wave ?
IF there was to be free movement, the numbers could be huge and greater than before.

On balance, IF every nation lived like the Swedes and their population was similarly sp in density, then the Swedish model looks better in the longer term.
However, most countries are nothing like Sweden, the UK certainly isn't.

There are murmurings of further restrictions being lifted in the coming weeks and I guess we just have to hope that any increases in numbers contracting the virus are minimal.
The balance in re opening the ecconomy versus preventing the spread sure is a fine line.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Time will tell as Wrencat has pointed the situation in Sweden is very different to here in the UK. If you take away the outliers like Monaco and the Vatican City the UK is the third most densely populated country in Europe after the Netherlands and Belgium. The advantages of Sweden, unlikely a catastrophic second wave and a less damaged economy - but it is very doubtful the UK could have coped with no lockdown unless we were prepared to accept a higher death rate and collateral externality of that decision? One thing is certain it will take a will to get the economy back on its feet.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17951
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Sal Paradise "Time will tell as Wrencat has pointed the situation in Sweden is very different to here in the UK. If you take away the outliers like Monaco and the Vatican City the UK is the third most densely populated country in Europe after the Netherlands and Belgium. The advantages of Sweden, unlikely a catastrophic second wave and a less damaged economy - but it is very doubtful the UK could have coped with no lockdown unless we were prepared to accept a higher death rate and collateral externality of that decision? One thing is certain it will take a will to get the economy back on its feet.'"

Yes but, the big question is when ?

Quick question Sal, if you had a hundred quid in your pocket and were a gambling man, how much of your £100 would you wager on the track and trace app being fully functional (or close to it) by the 1st June.
This has the same whiff as the 100,000 tests PER DAY that were promised, but rarely hit, by the end of May.

I absolutely understand the need to get good news out there but, the unnecessary exaggeration / spin /lies by Boris & Co is just bloody annoying and perpetuates the lack of trust in what they tell the masses.
It's no wonder parents are too scared to send their kids back to school and the teachers dont feel that they will be safe.

426 posts in 29 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
426 posts in 29 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.8359375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Todays match v Saints
Captain Hook
Recent
Salford H
DSJ1983
Recent
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
Recent
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
Recent
Film game
Wanderer
Recent
Sheffield A
ChinaBull
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
31s
Hull KR H
Geese
35s
RD 25 Hull FC H
ploinerrhino
46s
Leeds Rhinos - Away
bonaire
52s
TV games not Wire
rubber ducki
1m
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Huddersfield Away
Wire Weaver
1m
Call for funds
Bubba
1m
Recruitment rumours and links
Howfenwire
1m
SL CHAT THREAD OTHER TEAMS GAMES
chapylad
1m
2025 Principal Kit
tad rhino
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
Play-offs
Septimius Se
TODAY
Highlights v Whitehaven
Dunkirk Spir
TODAY
Play offs
workforce11
TODAY
George Williams
Howfenwire
TODAY
WIRE YED Prediction Competition Huddersfield Away
Wire Weaver
TODAY
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off London Challenge
RLFANS News
TODAY
Salford Close In On The Play Offs As Dragons Crisis Continues
RLFANS News
TODAY
Batley v Dons - Sunday 8 September 2024
Wanderer
TODAY
Staying down after head contact
The games af
TODAY
Broncos Ladies
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
OT players staying down but staying on after treatment
djcool
TODAY
Hull live/Tomlinson
jimmyfivebel
TODAY
Todays match v Saints
Captain Hook
TODAY
New England RL shirt
The Curtism
TODAY
Reserves Grand Final
RobRiches
TODAY
Shareholder meetings
Dunkirk Spir
TODAY
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth After Defeating Castleford Tigers
RLFANS News
TODAY
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six After Destroying Hull FC
RLFANS News
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
Salford Close In On The Play O..
Leigh Leopards Up To Fourth Af..
Leeds Rhinos Into the Six Afte..
Wigan Warriors Defeat Hull KR ..
Wane Names Provisional Squad f..
Leeds Rhinos Ride Their Luck F..
Wigan Warriors Level Top As Ca..
Castleford Tigers Inflict Anot..
Leigh Into the Six After Beati..
Five Into Three - Our Top Six ..
Leigh Leopards Lay Claim To Pl..
Salford Up To Fourth After Dem..
Hull KR Embarrass Saints As Th..
Rhinos Sweep Past the Dragons ..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.63M 2,928 ↑2480,11314,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 Fri 13th Sep
     National Rugby League 2024-R28
10:50
Penrith
v
Sydney
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R26
20:00
Leigh
v
Hull KR
St.Helens
v
Castleford
Wigan
v
Leeds
 Sat 14th Sep
07:05
Melbourne
v
Cronulla
10:50
NQL Cowboys
v
Newcastle
     Womens Super League 2024-R14
14:00
FeatherstoneW
v
York V
St.HelensW
v
BarrowW
15:00
Hull FC
v
Salford
       Championship 2024-R26
Barrow
v
Whitehaven
Bradford
v
Batley
Dewsbury
v
Swinton
Doncaster
v
Widnes
Featherstone
v
Sheffield
Wakefield
v
York
17:00
Toulouse
v
Halifax
Catalans
v
LondonB
 Sun 15th Sep
07:05
Canterbury
v
Manly
12:00
WiganW
v
LeedsW
       League One 2024-R23
Midlands
v
Workington
Hudds W
v
Wire W
Huddersfield
v
Warrington
       League One 2024-R23
Rochdale
v
Hunslet
 Fri 20th Sep
       Championship 2024-R27
19:30
Sheffield
v
York
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R27
Huddersfield
v
Castleford
Hull FC
v
Catalans
Hull KR
v
Leeds
Leigh
v
St.Helens
Warrington
v
LondonB
Wigan
v
Salford
 Sat 21st Sep
       Championship 2024-R27
18:00
Featherstone
v
Dewsbury
18:00
Widnes
v
Toulouse
19:30
Wakefield
v
Barrow
 Sun 22nd Sep
       Championship 2024-R27
Batley
v
Swinton
Halifax
v
Bradford
Swinton
v
Doncaster
 Sat 28th Sep
       Championship 2024-R28
17:00
Toulouse
v
Batley
 Sun 29th Sep
       Championship 2024-R28
Barrow
v
Widnes
Bradford
v
Swinton
Dewsbury
v
Sheffield
Wakefield
v
Doncaster
Whitehaven
v
Halifax
York
v
Featherstone
 Sun 27th Oct 2024
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov 2024
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Fri 13th Sep
SL
Leigh-Hull KR
SL
St.Helens-Castleford
SL
Wigan-Leeds
Sat 14th Sep
SL
Hull FC-Salford
SL
Catalans-LondonB
Sun 15th Sep
SL
Huddersfield-Warrington
Fri 20th Sep
SL
Huddersfield-Castleford
SL
Hull FC-Catalans
SL
Hull KR-Leeds
SL
Leigh-St.Helens
SL
Warrington-LondonB
SL
Wigan-Salford
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 8th Sep
SL 25 Huddersfield22-16LondonB
WSL2024 13 LeedsW52-12FeatherstoneW
WSL2024 13 BarrowW24-4Hudds W
WSL2024 13 WiganW12-16York V
CH 25 Batley0-38Doncaster
CH 25 Halifax34-6Dewsbury
CH 25 Sheffield12-30Bradford
CH 25 Swinton28-8Featherstone
CH 25 Wakefield60-6Whitehaven
CH 25 Widnes6-12York
NRL 27 Manly20-40Cronulla
NRL 27 Newcastle14-6Dolphins
Sat 7th Sep
SL 25 Warrington16-2St.Helens
SL 25 Salford27-12Catalans
WSL2024 13 Wire W0-98St.HelensW
CH 25 Barrow24-36Toulouse
NRL 27 St.George24-26Canberra
NRL 27 Canterbury6-44NQL Cowboys
NRL 27 Penrith18-12Gold Coast
Fri 6th Sep
SL 25 Castleford12-34Leigh
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 25 619 336 283 40
Hull KR 25 669 311 358 38
Warrington 25 618 319 299 36
Salford 25 492 479 13 30
Leigh 25 548 362 186 29
St.Helens 25 544 366 178 28

Leeds 25 514 424 90 28
Catalans 25 439 415 24 26
Huddersfield 25 434 582 -148 18
Castleford 25 411 661 -250 15
Hull FC 25 320 812 -492 6
LondonB 25 309 850 -541 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 23 872 252 620 44
Bradford 23 602 359 243 30
Toulouse 22 624 322 302 29
Widnes 23 499 403 96 27
York 24 609 419 190 26
Featherstone 23 560 452 108 26

Sheffield 23 574 466 108 26
Doncaster 23 440 513 -73 21
Halifax 23 457 579 -122 20
Batley 23 364 497 -133 20