JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: El Barbudo "A supermarket only needs to take 30% of the trade and the small independents won't be able to afford to continue trading.
Hence, they may have "earned" 30% of the trade but the other 70% is gained despite people wanting to shop elsewhere.
Many people are happy to go along with whatever the supermarkets say is "choice" but, for me, choice is not an aisle full of differently-labelled bottles of water or the same spuds in larger or smaller bags or racks and racks of Chorleywood process bread.
I'd far rather have a butcher who can tell me the exact provenance of the meat he sells, rather than a supermarket who buy in such quantity that they can't keep track of what species is in their burgers.'"

The problem is you are in a minority - supply and demand suggests the need for traditional butchers is on the decline. No one is forced to use a supermarket, Tesco's haven't got a load of staff and prevented customers visiting your butcher. The problem is that for most of us the opportunity cost of visting numerous retailers cannot be justified by the enhanced experience we encounter.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member47951No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1977_1349889235.jpg
"You are working for Satan." [i:2886spie]Kirkstaller[/i:2886spie] "Dare to know!" [i:2886spie]Immanuel Kant[/i:2886spie] "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive" [i:2886spie]Elbert Hubbard[/i:2886spie] "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." [i:2886spie]Oscar Wilde[/i:2886spie] [url=http://thevoluptuousmanifesto.blogspot.co.uk:2886spie][color=#4000FF:2886spie]The Voluptuous Manifesto[/color:2886spie][/url:2886spie] – thoughts on all sorts of stuff.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1977.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "The problem is you are in a minority - supply and demand suggests the need for traditional butchers is on the decline. No one is forced to use a supermarket, Tesco's haven't got a load of staff and prevented customers visiting your butcher. The problem is that for most of us the opportunity cost of visting numerous retailers cannot be justified by the enhanced experience we encounter.'"

When there are no butchers in a town other than a Tesco or a Sainsbury's, then there is no choice.

There is a reason that phrases and words such as 'Tescopoly' and 'Tesco Town' and 'trolley town' have entered the lexicon – because there are places in the UK that, for instance, have three different-sized Tescos, and that's it. I didn't invent or imagine this situation. And that is not a choice.

Indeed, in a post I made earlier, I explained that, when we first moved into the area we're in, the local street was 3/4 derelict and it simply was not possible to do the weekly shop there. The alternative was therefore one of the myriad Sainsbury's or Tescos that had sprouted up within a 20-minute walk in various directions, or to undertake a bus journey further away to a market somewhere (one of which option was destroyed by stalls being driven out by a landlord hiking rents massively because they could get franchises in instead).

I do not get what part of that is difficult to understand.

That situation has only changed in the last nine years, with the revival of the street, including (but not limited to) a Saturday farmers' market (okay, technical definition, apparently, is a 'fine food market'). And since the businesses that have opened on the street in the last few years seem to be sticking around, they are presumably doing okay. Which also suggests that your assertion that there is no demand for butchers etc is, at best, flawed.

One of the shops that has opened is a fishmonger. This is a young business, run by a team of young people, and it's the particular one I was referring to earlier, when I said that they were changing traditional patterns of opening hours in order to better serve people who work conventional hours and may pop in in the evening on the way home.

They'll prep your fish as much as you need; they'll suggest things to do with it. They even organise cookery/skills classes if you want (something various butchers I'm aware of are also doing).

And let's be quite clear: the demise of high street butchers, replaced by in-store 'butchers', has seen a major deskilling. As Blythman illustrated in the book Coddy linked to, a countrywide experiment, very, very few so-called butcher's counters in supermarkets have staff who know much about cuts of meat or can prepare them. The same applies to fishmongers.

And the whole thing with the burgers with horse and pig in them is illustrative of an issue about the mass production of food – and the mass retailing of it, with the concomitant demand for ever cheaper prices.

Now horse and pig in a 'beef' burger may not actually kill anyone, but that's not the point.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman26578
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2017Apr 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1408_1377158863.jpg
[url=http://tinyurl.com/xmaschoccy:3awnsnxa][img:3awnsnxa]http://imgur.com/dR3Vl.gif[/img:3awnsnxa][/url:3awnsnxa] [b:3awnsnxa][url=http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-53481-19255-0/1?type=3&campid=5335822080&toolid=10001&customid=sitcforum&ext=rugby+league&satitle=rugby+league:3awnsnxa]ebay's Rugby League Bargains[/url:3awnsnxa][/b:3awnsnxa] ¦ [b:3awnsnxa][url=http://pepperkorn.shauctions.hop.clickbank.net/?tid=CAP1:3awnsnxa]Boost Your eBay Sales[/url:3awnsnxa][/b:3awnsnxa] ¦ [b:3awnsnxa][url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/search?ie=UTF8&keywords=%26%2334%3Brugby%20league%26%2334%3B&tag=newrugbyleaguestore-21&index=blended&linkCode=ur2&camp=1634&creative=6738:3awnsnxa]Recommended Amazon Stuff[/url:3awnsnxa][/b:3awnsnxa] ¦ [b:3awnsnxa][url=http://www.jdoqocy.com/click-2143305-10444737:3awnsnxa]Get a Free Ink Cart!!![/url:3awnsnxa][/b:3awnsnxa] ¦ [b:3awnsnxa][url=http://tinyurl.com/yettlvv:3awnsnxa]Quins RL T-Shirts, BRAND NEW DESIGNS[/url:3awnsnxa][/b:3awnsnxa]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1408.jpg

So those who say supermarkets only supply what customers demand ignore the whole advertising industry, money paid by manufactures for shelf position and the millions the retailers spend on store layouts and psychologists , all to get us to but what we really don't want or need.

Sure if there is a choice the customer can go elsewhere but when the independents have been forced out of business that choice is limited to one of the other big 4 retailers, with the same "choice" and the others.

RankPostsTeam
Moderator36786
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024May 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
6505_1460484023.jpg
[i:10za56ci]Hold on to me baby, his bony hands will do you no harm It said in the cards, we lost our souls to the Nameless One[/i:10za56ci]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_6505.jpg

Blockbuster gone now. Who next, I wonder?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman31779
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jul 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1014_1377173247.jpg
[url=http://johnpdobson.com:lyk3t81x]johnpdobson.com[/url:lyk3t81x] [url=http://www.twitter.com/johnnydobbo:lyk3t81x]Twitter[/url:lyk3t81x]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1014.jpg

The irony when Dominos are the last high street chain standing

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14845No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
143_1357419061.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_143.jpg

In the longer-term the demise of these chains may be a good thing. It paves the way for lower retail rents and the possibility of diverse high streets with exactly the sort of shops Mintball hankers after. Just a thought.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach13190No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 200718 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2020Oct 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

'when my life is over, the thing which will have given me greatest pride is that I was first to plunge into the sea, swimming freely underwater without any connection to the terrestrial world' Yves Le Prieur, the real inventor of the aqualung:

Quote: Kosh "Blockbuster gone now. Who next, I wonder?'"

Bored when out of town last week, I went to see the Jack Reacher flick. Next day I mentioned to a site manager that I had seen it and he said he had also seen it as well as the Zero Dark Thirty film as well. I said I thought the latter wasn't out until late January and he said he had downloaded both for nothing. There is no wonder that Blockbuster cannot survive, I doubt any of there films isn't available at some illegal site on the net.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member335No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Sep 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2013Apr 2013LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

TotalRl.com - Home of Stupid Questions, Friday Pix and of course Millward is a Gurner.:

Quote: Standee "

People (by and large) crave posessions and believe they acquire status from accumulating them, I would wager at least 50% of the people posting on here live in a two car household, with more than one TV, with a games console, broadband, one (if not more) weeks holiday a year £2k of debt at any given time (credit cards etc.) a house that, in reality, is too big for what they really need, probably with negative equity because they borrowed too much and paid too much in "the boom", possibly sat on an "interest only" mortgage that they can barely afford - or should I just call it "consumerism", and that wasn't created by anyone but those who subscribe to the idealogy.
But, unfortunately, we live in a time where responsibility isn't a personal value, it's always someone else's fault.'"

this.
and it's a problem for the government at the minute because they desperately need people to dig out the plastic and go mental, they need self certification mortgages to kick start, they need people to plead with the bank that they can afford the mortgage that's 6 times their salary and they need them to change their 4 year old car for a 2 year old car. unfortunately for them people realised they don't actually need lots of stuff and recalibrated their spending habits, i certainly did and i don't think i'm missing out. i must have wandered into hmv half a dozen times over the xmas period and each time i saw something i ended up walking away as i didn't actually need it whereas in the past i'd have bought the lot.

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner4195No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200421 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2021Apr 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: samwire "they need self certification mortgages to kick start, they need people to plead with the bank that they can afford the mortgage that's 6 times their salary and they need them to change their 4 year old car for a 2 year old car. unfortunately for them people realised they don't actually need lots of stuff and recalibrated their spending habits.'"

Seconded.

I wonder how long it will be before people realise it is no longer 'essential' to have the latest Ipad / smartphone.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member37704No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2051.jpg
The older I get, the better I was Advice is what we seek when we already know the answer - but wish we didn't I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full-frontal lobotomy ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ kirkstaller wrote: "All DNA shows is that we have a common creator." cod'ead wrote: "I have just snotted weissbier all over my keyboard & screen" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin." - Aneurin Bevan:2051.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "The problem is you are in a minority - supply and demand suggests the need for traditional butchers is on the decline. No one is forced to use a supermarket, Tesco's haven't got a load of staff and prevented customers visiting your butcher. The problem is that for most of us the opportunity cost of visting numerous retailers cannot be justified by the enhanced experience we encounter.'"

Well it's obvious that Tesco et al have got you well & truly hooked.

I'm currently operating a franchise, supplying frozen fish meat & poultry and speciality dishes, direct to the door. I have little problem selling ribeye steak at £33 per kilo because when anyone who knows what real steak should look like, they immediately appreciate the difference. Our ribeye, sirloin and fillet comes from a grass-fed, Somerset herd and is hung for 28 days before butchering. Sainsbury's once embarked on a great advertising campaign, shouting that their beef was 21 day matured. It wasn't a great success because they'd already convinced their customers that beef should be red in colour and not chestnut bordering on mahogany. Even my local butcher (a man who knows the name of the beast the cut came from), no longer puts his best cuts in the window, simply because many of his customers have been similarly "conditioned". Many beef joints sold in supermarkets are topside or silverside, both joints that should only really be pot-roasted because they don't have the natural fat to keep them moist. Look at the cooking instructions and they'll tell you nothing about slow or pot-roasting.

Similarly, I sell salmon fillet at £25 per kilo and have never received a single complaint, in fact it's my single best selling product. The difference between my North Atlantic, wild-caught salmon is streets away from the farmed salmon on sale in any supermarket. Next time you visit a supermarket's fishmonger slab, take a close look at the salmon. They keep the skin on to avoid you seeing the layer of fat between the skin and flesh, similarly those white lines that branch from the centre are also fat. Wild salmon is all muscle. I gave a woman a salmon fillet this afternoon, free, gratis and for nothing. She told me she only bought salmon tail fillet because it was less "oily" than the loins. I am convinced I'll have no problem selling her a 2 kilo box next time I visit.

I boast that "If I wouldn't eat it, you won't find it on my van". I wouldn't carry any cod during December because I wasn't happy with the quality. I refuse to ever carry pangasius at all. If you're wondering what pangasius is, you may find it listed as "cobbler" or "Basa". In reality, pangasius is Vietnamese river catfish ad a dirtier fish would be difficult to find on sale, yet the supermarkets are quite happy to stock it. Please don't tell me, that was through customer demand.

I rarely buy any fish or meat from a supermarket because the "fishmongers" and "butchers" employed by them are anything but. Try asking a supermarket butcher for a bone-in shoulder of pork, you won't get it, simply because "head office don't supply it". Now try and find a proper butcher who can supply a joint from a traditional breed like Gloucester Old Spot and follow rland I gurantee you really will "taste the difference".rl

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4058
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
14348_1671727713.png
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_14348.png

Quote: The Video Ref "Seconded.

I wonder how long it will be before people realise it is no longer 'essential' to have the latest Ipad / smartphone.'"

A long time, as people, by-and-large, are idiots.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member6319No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2017Nov 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
3242.jpg
:3242.jpg

Quote: cod'ead "Well it's obvious that Tesco et al have got you well & truly hooked.

I'm currently operating a franchise, supplying frozen fish meat & poultry and speciality dishes, direct to the door. I have little problem selling ribeye steak at £33 per kilo because when anyone who knows what real steak should look like, they immediately appreciate the difference.

Similarly, I sell salmon fillet at £25 per kilo and have never received a single complaint, in fact it's my single best selling product'"

It is all very well and good championing this sort of thing however you have to take into the account cost. Not everybody can afford to pay £25 per kilo for salmon. I work on the counters at a supermarket (I would never dream of calling myself a fishmonger, my "training" was to spend an afternoon with my colleague so that I could cover on there when needed), but we get people complaining about the price of cod loin which is £19 a kilo, they would have a heart attack if you tried to charge them £25. Yes it might taste better, you might get better knowledge from the staff at a proper fishmongers (I won't say service because supermarket staff can deliever top service within their remit, it isn't our fault we aren't given the training) but what's the point in that if you cannot afford the product?

RankPostsTeam
International Star3605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67953_1341943970.jpg
Someday everything is gonna be different, when I paint my masterpiece ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://garykitchen.co.uk/:lnkxkae0]Online art gallery, selling original landscape artwork[/url:lnkxkae0] ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://jerrychicken.wordpress.com/:lnkxkae0]JerryChicken - The Blog[/url:lnkxkae0] ----------------------------------------------------------:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67953.jpg

Do cod have loins ?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: cod'ead "Well it's obvious that Tesco et al have got you well & truly hooked.

I'm currently operating a franchise, supplying frozen fish meat & poultry and speciality dishes, direct to the door. I have little problem selling ribeye steak at £33 per kilo because when anyone who knows what real steak should look like, they immediately appreciate the difference. Our ribeye, sirloin and fillet comes from a grass-fed, Somerset herd and is hung for 28 days before butchering. Sainsbury's once embarked on a great advertising campaign, shouting that their beef was 21 day matured. It wasn't a great success because they'd already convinced their customers that beef should be red in colour and not chestnut bordering on mahogany. Even my local butcher (a man who knows the name of the beast the cut came from), no longer puts his best cuts in the window, simply because many of his customers have been similarly "conditioned". Many beef joints sold in supermarkets are topside or silverside, both joints that should only really be pot-roasted because they don't have the natural fat to keep them moist. Look at the cooking instructions and they'll tell you nothing about slow or pot-roasting.

Similarly, I sell salmon fillet at £25 per kilo and have never received a single complaint, in fact it's my single best selling product. The difference between my North Atlantic, wild-caught salmon is streets away from the farmed salmon on sale in any supermarket. Next time you visit a supermarket's fishmonger slab, take a close look at the salmon. They keep the skin on to avoid you seeing the layer of fat between the skin and flesh, similarly those white lines that branch from the centre are also fat. Wild salmon is all muscle. I gave a woman a salmon fillet this afternoon, free, gratis and for nothing. She told me she only bought salmon tail fillet because it was less "oily" than the loins. I am convinced I'll have no problem selling her a 2 kilo box next time I visit.

I boast that "If I wouldn't eat it, you won't find it on my van". I wouldn't carry any cod during December because I wasn't happy with the quality. I refuse to ever carry pangasius at all. If you're wondering what pangasius is, you may find it listed as "cobbler" or "Basa". In reality, pangasius is Vietnamese river catfish ad a dirtier fish would be difficult to find on sale, yet the supermarkets are quite happy to stock it. Please don't tell me, that was through customer demand.

I rarely buy any fish or meat from a supermarket because the "fishmongers" and "butchers" employed by them are anything but. Try asking a supermarket butcher for a bone-in shoulder of pork, you won't get it, simply because "head office don't supply it". Now try and find a proper butcher who can supply a joint from a traditional breed like Gloucester Old Spot and follow rland I gurantee you really will "taste the difference".rl'"

I am sure the quality differences are evident to all, the problem is - and the point I am trying to make - is the difference is sufficiently important enough for most to make the effort to seek it out.

If I want something good I will go to Lishman's but the enhanced experience of the food isn't worth an hour round trip every week to get it. For the vast majority of people even a 5 minute trip can't be justified. The chicken I get from the supermarket is more than adequate to fill me fijitas would a superior chicken costing double the price really make that much of a difference to my curry?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: Mintball "When there are no butchers in a town other than a Tesco or a Sainsbury's, then there is no choice.

There is a reason that phrases and words such as 'Tescopoly' and 'Tesco Town' and 'trolley town' have entered the lexicon – because there are places in the UK that, for instance, have three different-sized Tescos, and that's it. I didn't invent or imagine this situation. And that is not a choice.

Indeed, in a post I made earlier, I explained that, when we first moved into the area we're in, the local street was 3/4 derelict and it simply was not possible to do the weekly shop there. The alternative was therefore one of the myriad Sainsbury's or Tescos that had sprouted up within a 20-minute walk in various directions, or to undertake a bus journey further away to a market somewhere (one of which option was destroyed by stalls being driven out by a landlord hiking rents massively because they could get franchises in instead).

I do not get what part of that is difficult to understand.

That situation has only changed in the last nine years, with the revival of the street, including (but not limited to) a Saturday farmers' market (okay, technical definition, apparently, is a 'fine food market'). And since the businesses that have opened on the street in the last few years seem to be sticking around, they are presumably doing okay. Which also suggests that your assertion that there is no demand for butchers etc is, at best, flawed.

One of the shops that has opened is a fishmonger. This is a young business, run by a team of young people, and it's the particular one I was referring to earlier, when I said that they were changing traditional patterns of opening hours in order to better serve people who work conventional hours and may pop in in the evening on the way home.

They'll prep your fish as much as you need; they'll suggest things to do with it. They even organise cookery/skills classes if you want (something various butchers I'm aware of are also doing).

And let's be quite clear

I completely agree regarding the quality/service etc of the independents the problem is their customers didn't value their offering sufficiently to keep them in business. Don't blame the supermarkets if other businesses fail to provide a business model that is attractive to their customers. If you take Otley there is Waitrose, Booths and Sainsbury in a small market town yet Lishman's an independent butcher who charges the earth thrives? It is like Blockbuster/HMV their model is outdated don't blame Amazon/Love film Netflicks for abject management at the company's that have failed.

251 posts in 18 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
251 posts in 18 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.01513671875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Shareholders Meeting
Scarlet Pimp
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC