FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Sin Bin > No More Arguments: Austerity is Working!
723 posts in 49 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
International Star210No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Sep 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: DaveO "The more logical measure to adopt would be those in full time employment, defined say as a minimum of 35 hours a week.
It would then be simple enough to calculate a total figure of how many people are part-time, on zero hours and actually unemployed.
No politician is gong to do that though as I suspect the figures would be pretty shocking but it would give us a true figure of how many of those 30m people in work stand a chance of supporting themselves as they have a full time job.'"

We already know these figures, the numbers are in the papers almost every day.
Quote: DaveO "The rest? Well the state (i.e. you and me assuming you are a taxpayer) will be topping up their wages with benefit payments i.e. subsidising the profits of their employers.
Are you happy to be doing that?'"

I'm not subsidising any employer, they employ people on a salary, if governments choose to bump up this salary with "free" money then that's their shout and will be reflected in my thoughts come election day.
Quote: DaveO "My Dad used to say (and this is decades ago I remember him saying it) that overtime was a great evil as it meant employers could save on employing enough workers to do the necessary work. It has always happened that people in employment take extra hours and employers are happy for them to do so. Back when my Dad said this is would have been seen as very left wing given things like zero hours contracts were unheard of.'"

Why would employers take on more staff when there are people willing to work the extra for time and a half/double time?
The name "zero hour contracts" may not have existed but I bet the practice did, did bar staff in the local Lib/Lab/Con club have cast iron contracts guaranteeing work? How many shop assistants? I know when I worked in a bar, a long time ago, I didn't. I had 2 pencilled in shifts, Sunday 1There are also increasing numbers ( record numbers in fact) of over 65's still working. '"
I'm almost certain there are, the population is aging, the health of the population increases people stay active longer, (I've just left my dad on scaffolding painting the side of a house, he's pushing 70).
Why are people working longer? Need money? Like to do something? Escape the spouse?

Quote: DaveO "What is needed is a combination of decent wages, pensions and legislation to ensure employers don't exploit people and people don't hog jobs. '"
Hog jobs?

Quote: DaveO "Companies like Vauxhall do things called planning. They know what the demand for cars is at particular times of year and they employ economist to predict what they need to build. They aren't take by surprise and suddenly need to rush out and contact an employment agency to employ someone on zero hours contracts.'"

Did they plan to almost close the plant? Funny you should mention agency work, VW in Germany recently announced an intake of agency staff in Germany.

Quote: DaveO "If unemployment ever does drop significantly they won't be able to find people to work like this. What are they going to do then?'"

Then the employees hold the whip hand.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14845No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
143_1357419061.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_143.jpg

Why are people fixated with retiring at an arbitray age - such as 65? If I live that long and am fit enough I'd like to work until at least 75. I'd be happy greeting people at B&Q or whatever. Why not?

RankPostsTeam
International Star3605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67953_1341943970.jpg
Someday everything is gonna be different, when I paint my masterpiece ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://garykitchen.co.uk/:lnkxkae0]Online art gallery, selling original landscape artwork[/url:lnkxkae0] ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://jerrychicken.wordpress.com/:lnkxkae0]JerryChicken - The Blog[/url:lnkxkae0] ----------------------------------------------------------:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67953.jpg

Quote: Lord Elpers " And why should we forget Labour's opposition to every single move the government has made to recify our economy and we should not forget either Labour's runinous alternative policy?'"

Its what the opposition does, its what every opposition party does, there wouldn't be any point in an opposition party if all they did was agree with the government.

But heres the thing - they may object in parliament but it doesn't mean that they wouldn't have done exactly the same thing themselves in the same situation - thats the luxury of being in opposition, you can object and sneer at the governing party all you like and yet offer no alternative or solution or even offer some credible advice - its where the parliamentary party system fails.

Was accidentally reading Osbornes reaction to the bailing out of the banks in 2008, he criticised Darling and Brown for giving any assistance to any bank and blamed everything on Labours economic policies and their wasteful use of public money in those policies - as was his right - yet he offered no suggestion as to what he would have done, nor has he since, as is his right.

RankPostsTeam
International Star3605No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jul 201212 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2016May 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
67953_1341943970.jpg
Someday everything is gonna be different, when I paint my masterpiece ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://garykitchen.co.uk/:lnkxkae0]Online art gallery, selling original landscape artwork[/url:lnkxkae0] ---------------------------------------------------------- [url=http://jerrychicken.wordpress.com/:lnkxkae0]JerryChicken - The Blog[/url:lnkxkae0] ----------------------------------------------------------:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_67953.jpg

Quote: Lord Elpers "You cannot expect real income to improve quickly after such a serious crisis. The fact that so many new jobs have been created is a big step in the right direction. Once confidence and growth return then productivity then profits and then income will then have a chance to increase.'"

I'm expecting nothing, I'm just highlighting how the predictions have failed so miserably over several years and how revision follows revision just as Spring follows Winter...

RankPostsTeam
Club Owner17898
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200321 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Mar 2020Aug 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
7384_1394882426.png
[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/14252202:io879g1y]2005 Challenge Cup[/url:io879g1y] To reconcile respect with practicality, what is the optimum speed for a hearse?:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_7384.png

Quote: BobbyD "We already know these figures, the numbers are in the papers almost every day.'"

There's a limit to the number of smilies permitted, so I'll stick with two

icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Him
RankPostsTeam
International Board Member14970No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_2244.jpg

Quote: BobbyD "Is it an interpreting graphs thing? IT seems to go on a lot round here. Unless you think Osborne's policies influenced the French, Germans and Italians.'"

Yes you do seem to have a problem with it.
No I don't. I think their economies were affected by a Euro fiscal problem within the Eurozone that required billions of Euros to bail out some of their monetary partners. Fortunately we didn't have that problem as we stayed with the pound. There's a reason it was called a Eurozone crisis.

If you think it affected the UK that badly, how do you explain the fact that UK exports kept increasing during that period?
Not to mention why consumer confidence, business confidence etc would fall so quickly after the Coalition coming into power despite rising just before?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: DaveO "The more logical measure to adopt would be those in full time employment, defined say as a minimum of 35 hours a week.

It would then be simple enough to calculate a total figure of how many people are part-time, on zero hours and actually unemployed.

No politician is gong to do that though as I suspect the figures would be pretty shocking but it would give us a true figure of how many of those 30m people in work stand a chance of supporting themselves as they have a full time job.

The rest? Well the state (i.e. you and me assuming you are a taxpayer) will be topping up their wages with benefit payments i.e. subsidising the profits of their employers.

Are you happy to be doing that?

My Dad used to say (and this is decades ago I remember him saying it) that overtime was a great evil as it meant employers could save on employing enough workers to do the necessary work. It has always happened that people in employment take extra hours and employers are happy for them to do so. Back when my Dad said this is would have been seen as very left wing given things like zero hours contracts were unheard of.

There are also increasing numbers ( record numbers in fact) of over 65's still working.

What is needed is a combination of decent wages, pensions and legislation to ensure employers don't exploit people and people don't hog jobs.

Companies like Vauxhall do things called planning. They know what the demand for cars is at particular times of year and they employ economist to predict what they need to build. They aren't take by surprise and suddenly need to rush out and contact an employment agency to employ someone on zero hours contracts.

They couldn't anyway as I doubt there are people with the necessary skills sat by the phone waiting for a few hours assembly line work this week so they will retain their workers as a proper contract with a certain amount of guaranteed work - and pay.

For things like shops that have a Christmas employment issue they know what day Christmas falls on and ha e for decades planned accordingly. Temporary work at such times has always been there but is no excuse for zero hours jobs elsewhere.

Basically zero hours contracts excuses companies from planning and competence. They can just rush out and pick a few people up. If unemployment ever does drop significantly they won't be able to find people to work like this. What are they going to do then?'"

Firstly I am a Tory voter and I will always vote that way - damage limitation in my opinion. The idea that we are in recovery is just fantasy IMO. I do think there is the beginnings of a better feeling but it is the beginnings IMO and it will take several months.

I think your appraisal of a manufacturing supply chain is way off the mark for the majority of businesses. Supply chain planning is one of the most difficult jobs in any organisation and a challenge that even the best - Apple - have not mastered. Even simple supply chains are complex.

The idea that there is no case for labour flexibility - zero hour contracts are a no-no for me - because planning is so easy is so far from reality that it is obvious you know very little about supply chain and manufacturing.

RankPostsTeam
International Star210No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Sep 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Chris28 "There's a limit to the number of smilies permitted, so I'll stick with two

Yes, I know, in my defence I didn't say they were accurate.

RankPostsTeam
International Star210No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Sep 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Him "If you think it affected the UK that badly, how do you explain the fact that UK exports kept increasing during that period?'"
Were we shipping stuff overseas for more money?
Still, i'm sure it's just another crazy, crazy coincidence that the general trend was for export increase despite the economic fall/collapse in the Eurozone like in the UK. It's almost like they're linked.
France
Italy

Not to mention why consumer confidence, business confidence etc would fall so quickly after the Coalition coming into power despite rising just before?'"
]

Him
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

Quote: Lord Elpers "It is interesting to note that all these moderator types who spend so much time on here all have left wing views and seem to know a lot about under-employment. I wonder why? How many are public servants? How many are employed? and if so do their employers know they are moonlighting? '"

So yeah, in the "Real World" where only right wingers do any hard work?

Quote: Lord Elpers "All the signs are for the recovery to continue. We have just had the biggest upward revision of growth in an official forecast for 14 years as I previously reported (OBR's jump from 0.6% to 1.4% and forecast 2.4% for 2014) Business optimism has been even stronger with the three main sectors of the economy - services, manufacturing and construction - are showing the strongest pick-up since the mid 1990s when the economy was recovering strongly. '"

And we've just had some very big downward revisions, not to mention the growth figures are still small, as welcome as they are. Business and consumer confidence were also strong just before the 2010 election. Government policies put paid to that.

Quote: Lord Elpers "So clearly Osborne has stuck to his plan despite all his many critics demanding he change direction. His austerity policy is now proven to be clearly working and bearing fruit and he has won the intellectual economic policy argument over Labour with their borrow and spend and others with the Keynesian dogma. '"

That's it, just say it again and it might come true. Think happy thoughts and you might reach Neverland too.

Quote: Lord Elpers "See my piece above (and previous comments) about what Buster Brown & Ed Balls-up left behind. The economy had dived 7.2% in 2008/9 and any improvement prior to the 2010 election should not be taken as a "growing economy" You are deluding yourself if you think otherwise. '"

Yes, we've seen what they left behind, an economy growing with virtually all economic indicators in a positive direction. The Chancellor that compared us to Greece and told us to follow Ireland's example and his government's policies turned that around.

Quote: Lord Elpers "Because there are those that agree with my points does not make them followers or indeed fakes. You seem obsessed and I could perhaps take you more seriously if you stopped being so personal. '"

Where have I been personal? He is quite clearly an additional account setup by someone already banned or who wants a different persona.
The only one getting personal on here is you with your rather silly attempts at pretending that only the right wingers have jobs.

Quote: Lord Elpers " Ok then lets have some details on your "different more logical economic policy" '"

One that doesn't destroy consumer and business confidence. One that used Britain's record low borrowing rates to invest and get people into work. Creating a virtuous cycle of employment and consumer spending. Pretty much the opposite to the Coalition policy.

Quote: Lord Elpers "The eurozone crisis started before the UK election.

January 2010http://www.theguardian.com/business/interactive/2012/oct/17/eurozone-crisis-interactive-timeline-three-yearsrl'"

Interesting which bits you omitted from there isn't it. Like the one in December 2009 where George Osborne thinks we're like Greece. Or the bit where it mentions the UK had emerged from recession, ie the economy was growing. The graphs prove any effects of the Eurozone were later than when the UK suffered its economic dip, unless somehow the UK was affected earlier than countries actually in the Eurozone.

You can continue to just keep saying "austerity is working" over and over again if you want. You started with that and seems like you're sticking to that tactic even after 19 pages. But it doesn't make it true, 3+ years of a flat economy (in real terms -3.3%) prove that it didn't work. As mentioned by others, if you wait long enough of course the economy will come back on its own, its what you do in the mean time that shows what kind of government you are. The fact is this government did little to nothing to help mitigate the effects of the crash and their policies on the people of this country and took the opportunity to defund public services whilst privatising others.
However the biggest criticism I reserve for this government (aside from the attacks on welfare & public services) is the shameful, disgraceful cut in investment. The last thing a weak economy needs is for government to cut back on investment and that's exactly what they did. Down to negative net figures.

Him
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

Quote: BobbyD " Graphs '"

icon_confused.gif
Thanks for proving that exports increased, saved me a job.

RankPostsTeam
International Star210No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Sep 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Him "

Yes, they increased. They increased all over the Eurozone. Why was this despite the economic slow down?

Him
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

Quote: BobbyD "Yes, they increased. They increased all over the Eurozone. Why was this despite the economic slow down?'"

Because they were coming from a low base and other markets were sought to export to.
All evidence to show UK exports weren't unduly affected by the Eurozone problems, as was claimed. Again, thanks for proving my point for me.

RankPostsTeam
International Star210No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 201311 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Feb 2016Sep 2015LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Him "Because they were coming from a low base and other markets were sought to export to.
All evidence to show UK exports weren't unduly affected by the Eurozone problems, as was claimed. Again, thanks for proving my point for me.'"

I wasn't asking about the UK, why were Eurozone exports up despite the Eurozone economic problems?

The only thing proved is the choppy economic conditions in the Eurozone, our largest trading partner, was mirrored over here. By the way, which of these coalition policies caused this choppiness?

Him
RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Jun 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Nov 2021Nov 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2244_1299706258.jpg

Quote: BobbyD "I wasn't asking about the UK, why were Eurozone exports up despite the Eurozone economic problems?

The only thing proved is the choppy economic conditions in the Eurozone, our largest trading partner, was mirrored over here. By the way, which of these coalition policies caused this choppiness?'"

eusa_wall.gif
The entire context of the discussion was around how the Eurozone problems had affected the UK economy. It was claimed exports had been hit by it. Obviously that isn't the case.
If you want to now change the entire discussion to be about the Eurozone then personally I'd say that deserves another thread.
Even so, the answer is still the same.

723 posts in 49 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
723 posts in 49 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

6.70849609375:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
bulls on Sunday
Hudd-Shay
7m
Deadcowboys1
9m
Player of the Year is