FORUMS FORUMS

RLFANS.COM
Celebrating
25 years service to
the Rugby League
Community!

FORUMS > The Sin Bin > Brexit Anyone ? (part 3)
1405 posts in 95 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3829
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18686.jpg
In Springfield, they're eating the dogs, the people that came in. They're eating the cats! They're eating the pets!:18686.jpg

Quote: Bullseye "JRM said that it could be 50 years before we see any benefit from leaving.'"

No doubt this is fake news, anyhow this surely proves the blip is only short / medium term, if you're a Bowhead Whale.

With less than a fortnight to the vote, I really haven't a clue what the outcome is going to be - interesting times!

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: The Devil's Advocate "No doubt this is fake news, anyhow this surely proves the blip is only short / medium term, if you're a Bowhead Whale.

With less than a fortnight to the vote, I really haven't a clue what the outcome is going to be - interesting times!'"

I'm not sure what options we actually have.
It seems that accepting the deal leaves us worse off and not necessarily out of the EU (although it would still be possible) or no deal, which gets us out of the EU but will hit our pockets even harder, although we would have "control" (whatever that actually is).
A second referendum, even if it were possible, would just keep us all spinning on the Brexit merry go round and remaining in the EU would be to drive a bus through the democratic process.

I hope that Mr Farage's family are truly proud of him because what we seem to be facing wasn't mentioned by anyone.

Brave new world ? my .

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17139No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

Quote: wrencat1873 " remaining in the EU would be to drive a bus through the democratic process.'"

I can understand that argument but the best comparison I have heard is likening it to going to Switzerland to Dignitas for assisted suicide as you have a fatal illness. When you get there you discover it is not terminal after all but you go through with it anyway.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: tigertot "I can understand that argument but the best comparison I have heard is likening it to going to Switzerland to Dignitas for assisted suicide as you have a fatal illness. When you get there you discover it is not terminal after all but you go through with it anyway.'"

I actually agree with you but, just because you and I think that "leaving" is a nightmare and should be avoided, doesnt mean that we should avoid it.

The majority that could be bothered to vote, wanted us out and in a cruel twist of irony, those who this decision will affect most/for longest, will indeed get to pay for their apathy.

The fall back position is that the world willl keep turning and we will be worse off by degrees, it's not quite life or death and straight forward ecconomic decisions will shape our financial future more than Brexit itself.

RankPostsTeam
International Star1906No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Aug 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: bren2k "And what will they gain from their "win?"'"

At the moment nobody knows if the outcome will be beneficial or not. Everything at the moment seems ok. It may change dramatically in the next few months.It may be several years before anybody can draw any firm conclusions from our leaving.
On the other hand if Teresa May somehow mages to win the vote we won’t be leaving the EU. As someone remarked it will be BINO (brexit in name only). British business will love that, the stock market will boom so farage and Johnson will have too shut up. As someone on here remarked interesting times indeed. Looking back the remain campaign was woeful, negative and doom mongers. Some of the EU benefits which are now being highlighted were hardly mentioned in the campaign to remain.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14845No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
143_1357419061.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_143.jpg

Well May's Project Fear has been unleaded with a Chancellor and supposedly independent BoE Governor saying the same things at the same time! A rerun of the doom laden Remain referendum campaign.

This thing is set to run on. If May somehow gets this ridiculous sell out through the HoC there will be a general election as dissenters and DUP will stop supporting the government (unless of course Labour's luvvie wing or LimpDems step in to save May).

Interesting times ahead.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50722.jpg

Quote: Dally "(unless of course Labour's luvvie wing or LimpDems step in to save May).'"

I think that's still a possibility - there are no depths to which the Blairite wing of the Labour party won't sink to scupper Corbyn, so whilst it would undoubtedly be their last act prior to being deselected by their CLP's, they may still roll over; and after Mr Clegg accepted a role as Cameron's fag in his desperate desire for a ministerial car, one never knows what the otherwise irrelevant LibDem's will do.

I note with interest that JC moved his position slightly yesterday; if the deal does not get through, Labour will call for a vote of no confidence in the government, which would trigger a GE - and if that's not successful, a PV may be the only option - so he could still save us from this madness after all, given that the much-touted "will of the people" has clearly changed in the 2 years since the referendum. Meanwhile, the planet-sized brain of Kier Starmer is busy on manoeuvres, securing a contempt of Parliament motion if they don't publish the full legal impact analysis - which would be devastating for the government.

It's all unravelling for Mrs May and by extension, the Tory party, which is nice.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif
:12389.gif

Quote: bren2k "I think that's still a possibility - there are no depths to which the Blairite wing of the Labour party won't sink to scupper Corbyn, so whilst it would undoubtedly be their last act prior to being deselected by their CLP's, they may still roll over; and after Mr Clegg accepted a role as Cameron's fag in his desperate desire for a ministerial car, one never knows what the otherwise irrelevant LibDem's will do.

I note with interest that JC moved his position slightly yesterday; if the deal does not get through, Labour will call for a vote of no confidence in the government, which would trigger a GE - and if that's not successful, a PV may be the only option - so he could still save us from this madness after all, given that the much-touted "will of the people" has clearly changed in the 2 years since the referendum. Meanwhile, the planet-sized brain of Kier Starmer is busy on manoeuvres, securing a contempt of Parliament motion if they don't publish the full legal impact analysis - which would be devastating for the government.

It's all unravelling for Mrs May and by extension, the Tory party, which is nice.'"

Labour have been drip-feeding their General Election agenda for a few weeks now. Someone at Labour HQ has clearly had a brainwave and decided this is their best strategy.

For the sake of forcing a General Election Labour are willing to land us with no deal. Think about that. Ignore your constituents, and push us into the worst possible scenario. Disgraceful.

Similarly, hard Remainers and Brexiteers in all parties are willing to vote against May's deal to support their agendas - although attitudes do seem to be softening as the reality hits home - it's May's deal or nothing. All their talk of 'securing a better option' is dangerous rhetoric and simply not possible. I've always said political games would be the most significant hurdle in getting a reasonable deal, and that is proving to be the case.

It's far from perfect but that was always going to be the case. And yes (as I've said for 2 years), we'll take a hit but in the long term we'll be better off, and that's before even considering the other reasons for leaving.

That said, murmurs from Labour HQ that JC is in fact in favour of May's deal...who knows... eusa_eh.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50722.jpg

Quote: Cronus "It's far from perfect but that was always going to be the case. And yes (as I've said for 2 years), we'll take a hit but in the long term we'll be better off, and that's before even considering the other reasons for leaving.'"

But "in the long term" is such a fuzzy concept, that those people who will have to live through the "taking a hit" years are waking up to the fact that they've been taking enough hits for the past 8 years, and they're a bit sick of it - which is why public opinion has changed in my view; it actually wasn't the EU or immigrants - it was Tory austerity - and we've had enough thanks very much.

I admire Corbyn's approach to this - he was always playing a long game, and it appears to be paying off; because contrary to Mrs May's lies about her deal or no deal, there are other options. Meanwhile, a GE will sweep Labour into power, and a PV would see us Remain in the EU - which would be a win/win, and not the divisive two's up to democracy that many claim - as polling clearly shows now that the will of the people has changed.

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Cronus "

It's far from perfect but that was always going to be the case. And yes (as I've said for 2 years), we'll take a hit but in the long term we'll be better off, and that's before even considering the other reasons for leaving.

'"

I am aware from your many previous posts that economics was barely on your list of reasons for leaving.
However, please explain where the "long term we'll be better off" comes from ?

There isn't a single forecast to indicate any economic advantage for being outside the EU (even in the long term), the guff spouted by Farage and Gove doesn't count. Could you please provide a link to ANY independent prediction of prosperity.

As for the "May" deal, just how far away from your hopes and expectations is it ?

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17139No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

Quote: Cronus "
For the sake of forcing a General Election Labour are willing to land us with no deal. Think about that. Ignore your constituents, and push us into the worst possible scenario. Disgraceful. '"

You're snowflake faux outrage noted. Interesting though that you seem to be offended by a political party attempting to end 8 years of austerity - untold misery for millions, destruction of health & education services in the name of warped ideology - but accepting & supportive of the perpetrators of that misery.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif

Quote: bren2k "But "in the long term" is such a fuzzy concept, that those people who will have to live through the "taking a hit" years are waking up to the fact that they've been taking enough hits for the past 8 years, and they're a bit sick of it - which is why public opinion has changed in my view; it actually wasn't the EU or immigrants - it was Tory austerity - and we've had enough thanks very much.

I admire Corbyn's approach to this - he was always playing a long game, and it appears to be paying off; because contrary to Mrs May's lies about her deal or no deal, there are other options. Meanwhile, a GE will sweep Labour into power, and a PV would see us Remain in the EU - which would be a win/win, and not the divisive two's up to democracy that many claim - as polling clearly shows now that the will of the people has changed.'"

Your definition of 'it' is flawed. 'It' was being tired of towns and cities and communities changing at an unrealistically rapid rate under the weight of a seemingly never-ending influx of immigrants. 'It' was paying in billions more than we get out. 'It' was the simply unsustainable numbers game: too many, too quickly. 'It' was any criticism of immigration being shouted down amid rabid accusations of racism. 'It' was being governed by unelected, unaccountable and unremovable bodies in Brussels, all with the same agenda. 'It' was the attitude of the EU leaders to the UK's criticism of their project. 'It' was the point-blank refusal of the EU to even consider reform in the face of serious concerns expressed by the 2nd largest contributor and one of their most important members. 'It' was the flawed idea that centralised power can work across 28 economically and socially unequal nations. 'It' was the flawed idea that centralised economic policy and rules can work across 28 economically and socially unequal nations. 'It' was seeing what the Euro project has done to the Mediterranean nations. 'It' was looking ahead and not liking where the EU wants to take their project. 'It' was seeing how the EU has failed time after time when things get critical. 'It' was watching the disasters of the Common Fisheries and Common Agriculture policies. The list could go on but that's a reasonable start.

Austerity, despite being the current Remainer catchphrase, was never 'it'.

I can see you've jumped on Labour's General Election strategy. So you think it's worth voting down the deal, landing us with no deal and forcing a GE? After years of reading your strong criticism of 'stupid Brexiteers' and the 'unacceptable' economic damage of Brexit, you'd willingly take the UK down the worst possible economic option. Hypocrite much?

Bear in mind Labour are very far from guaranteed to win a GE.

So, what are these 'other options' you speak of?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif

Quote: tigertot "*You're snowflake faux outrage noted. Interesting though that you seem to be offended by a political party attempting to end 8 years of austerity - untold misery for millions, destruction of health & education services in the name of warped ideology - but accepting & supportive of the perpetrators of that misery.'"

*Your

Offended? A strange choice of word, although certainly a word preferred by people of a particular mindset. FYI, I don't get offended. Or outraged for that matter. I'm a calm chap. icon_smile.gif

No, I'm dismayed by the blatant hypocrisy of a political party that, for years, has predicted an earth-shattering economic disaster in the event of a no deal - and now wants to take us precisely in that direction by voting down the deal on the table. eusa_think.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif

Quote: wrencat1873 "I am aware from your many previous posts that economics was barely on your list of reasons for leaving.
However, please explain where the "long term we'll be better off" comes from ?

There isn't a single forecast to indicate any economic advantage for being outside the EU (even in the long term), the guff spouted by Farage and Gove doesn't count. Could you please provide a link to ANY independent prediction of prosperity.

As for the "May" deal, just how far away from your hopes and expectations is it ?'"

The May deal isn't perfect, but it'll do a job. I've said all along we won't get the perfect deal - the EU isn't going to let a nation leave and give them the same benefits - but as long as we can continue to work with them we'll be fine.

Economies adapt, and the UK economy is resilient - indeed it has performed far better than most experts predicted post-referendum. Economies already adapt as markets boom and bust, as recessions come and go. The EU share of UK and global trade has been diminishing for decades while non-EU has boomed and indeed surpassed the EU from the UK's perspective. We now go out and seize that business without the restraints of the EU, whilst still trading with the EU. Any potential decrease in EU trade (likely to be marginal) can be offset by growth in non-EU trade.

The EU, meanwhile, can carry on with its political turmoil and growing dissatisfaction of many member nations, political parties and huge swathes of the populace, including the growth of far-right sentiment driven largely by their own policies. The UK will have made its decision and be in a stable place, able to reach decisions far more quickly and to trade independently.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach3829
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200519 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
18686.jpg
In Springfield, they're eating the dogs, the people that came in. They're eating the cats! They're eating the pets!:18686.jpg

Quote: Cronus "No, I'm dismayed by the blatant hypocrisy of a political party that, for years, has predicted an earth-shattering economic disaster in the event of a no deal - and now wants to take us precisely in that direction by voting down the deal on the table.

I'm struggling to see which party you mean by that statement?

It sounds like both of 'em.

Either way, I suggest you vote for them next time, in homage, that's if you get your Utopian of "No Deal".

1405 posts in 95 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
1405 posts in 95 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

2.72705078125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Season tickets
faxcar
4m
Play-off semi-final
Oddshapeball
5m
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
6m
Film game
Boss Hog
7m
BORED The Band Name Game
Wanderer
19m
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Grand Final Place
RoyBoy29
42m
Recruitment rumours and links
Wires71
49m
York Valkyrie Win Back to Back Grand Finals
RLFANS News
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC
POSTER
Betting 2024
karetaker
48s
Film game
Boss Hog
53s
Game - Song Titles
Wanderer
1m
RoyBoy29
1m
Season tickets
faxcar
1m
Broncos Ladies
jbuzza
1m
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
rubber ducki
1m
Grand final Tickets
moto748
1m
Leigh it is
moto748
2m
Squads - Leopards v Warriors
Jack Gaskell
FORUM
NEW
TOPICS
TOPIC
POSTER
York Valkyrie Win Back to Back Grand Finals
RLFANS News
TODAY
NRL
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
Penrith Panthers Secure Fourth Consecutive Title
RLFANS News
TODAY
Seeking favourite images from grounds - past or present
retrosports
TODAY
Grand final Tickets
moto748
TODAY
RoyBoy29
TODAY
Refs referring it to video as a try or not
Barstool Pre
TODAY
Questions for Ste Mills
PopTart
TODAY
Decision on the field
MR FRISK
TODAY
Who do you want to win the Grand Final
rubber ducki
TODAY
Worst semi
Barstool Pre
TODAY
2025 TRANSFER AND RETENTION RUMOURS
Tony Fax
TODAY
Sam Burgess
fez1
TODAY
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fightback To Secure Grand Final Spot
RLFANS News
TODAY
Squad 2025
Nat (Rugby_A
TODAY
Tonights match v HKR
ninearches
TODAY
Isa 1 year extension
Trainman
TODAY
2024 IMG gradings
Deadcowboys1
TODAY
Championship Awards
FIL
TODAY
Season tickets
faxcar
NEWS ITEMS
VIEWS
York Valkyrie Win Back to Back..
Hunslet Book Relegation Play O..
Penrith Panthers Secure Fourth..
Wigan Humiliate Leigh For Gran..
Hull KR Survive Warrington Fig..
Warrington Wolves Break Saints..
Leigh Leopards Make Play Off P..
Catalans Dragons Finish Sevent..
Hull KR Secure Second With Vic..
Wigan Seal League Leaders Trop..
Wakefield Trinity Sweep Aside ..
Catalans Keep Season Alive Wit..
Salford Ensure Play-Offs And S..
Ruthless Wigan Thrash the Rhin..
Huddersfield Giants Hold Off L..
POSTSONLINEREGISTRATIONSRECORD
19.64M 3,283 ↓-20080,13314,103
LOGIN HERE
or REGISTER for more features!.

When you register you get access to the live match scores, live match chat and you can post in the discussions on the forums.
RLFANS Match Centre
 TODAY
     National Rugby League 2024-R31
 FT
Hover 
Melbourne
6-14
Penrith
       Championship 2024-R29
 FT 
Bradford
25-12
Featherstone
       League One 2024-R26
 FT 
Keighley
6-20
Hunslet
     Womens Super League 2024-R16
 FT 
York V
18-8
St.HelensW
 Sat 12th Oct
     Mens Super League XXVIII-R30
18:00
Hull KR
v
Wigan
 Sun 13th Oct
       Championship 2024-R30
15:00
Swinton
v
Hunslet
Wakefield
v
York
17:00
Toulouse
v
Bradford
 Sun 27th Oct
     Mens Internationals 2024-R2
14:30
England M
v
Samoa M
 Sat 2nd Nov
     Womens Internationals 2024-R2
12:00
ENGLAND W
v
WALES W
     Mens Internationals 2024-R3
England M
v
Samoa M
ALL SCORES PROVIDED BY RLFANS.COM (SETTINGS)
Matches on TV
Sun 6th Oct
L1
Keighley6-20Hunslet
WSL2024
16:30
York V18-8St.HelensW
NRL
09:30
Melbourne6-14Penrith
Sat 12th Oct
SL
18:00
Hull KR-Wigan
Sun 27th Oct
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sat 2nd Nov
MINT2024
England M-Samoa M
Sun 6th Oct
L1
LIVE
Keighley6-20Hunslet
CH
LIVE
Bradford25-12Featherstone
WSL2024
LIVE
York V18-8St.HelensW
NRL
LIVE
Melbourne6-14Penrith
Sat 5th Oct
CH 29 York27-10Widnes
SL 29 Wigan38-0Leigh
Fri 4th Oct
SL 29 Hull KR10-8Warrington
Sun 29th Sep
L1 25 Rochdale26-46Hunslet
CH 28 Barrow24-26Widnes
CH 28 Bradford50-0Swinton
CH 28 Dewsbury28-8Sheffield
CH 28 Wakefield72-6Doncaster
CH 28 Whitehaven23-20Halifax
CH 28 York16-6Featherstone
Sat 28th Sep
CH 28 Toulouse64-16Batley
SL 28 Warrington23-22St.Helens
NRL 30 Penrith26-6Cronulla
Fri 27th Sep
SL 28 Salford6-14Leigh
NRL 30 Melbourne48-18Sydney
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Mens Betfred Super League XXVIII ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wigan 28 759 336 423 46
Hull KR 28 729 335 394 44
Warrington 29 769 351 418 42
Leigh 29 580 442 138 33
Salford 28 556 561 -5 32
St.Helens 28 618 411 207 30

Catalans 27 475 427 48 30
Leeds 27 530 488 42 28
Huddersfield 27 468 658 -190 20
Castleford 27 425 735 -310 15
Hull FC 27 328 894 -566 6
LondonB 27 317 916 -599 6
This is an inplay table and live positions can change.
Betfred Championship 2024 ROUND : 1
 PLDFADIFFPTS
Wakefield 26 1010 262 748 50
Bradford 27 703 399 304 36
Toulouse 25 744 368 376 35
York 28 682 479 203 32
Widnes 27 561 502 59 29
Featherstone 27 634 525 109 28

Sheffield 26 626 526 100 28
Doncaster 26 498 619 -121 25
Halifax 26 509 650 -141 22
Batley 26 422 591 -169 22