Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif
:12389.gif

Quote: Sal Paradise "Are you seriously suggesting that the NHS is as lean as can be or just your NHS trust?

One of the biggest gains the NHS can get is to stop the abuse of its services by its patients - whether its patients not turning up for appointments or patients turning up at A&E when that is not appropriate.'"

I would love to see a refundable charge for appointments. £5 paid upfront and refunded when the patient turns up, but kept if they don't. Each missed appointment increases your deposit by £1.

It would not only reduce the number of missed appointments massively, it would also make timewasters think twice about whether they actually need to go to the GP.

According to the NHS 1 in 20 appointments are missed, that's 15.4 million costing £216 million. We should put that on the side of a bus or something. icon_smile.gif

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman18060No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: Cronus "I would love to see a refundable charge for appointments. £5 paid upfront and refunded when the patient turns up, but kept if they don't. Each missed appointment increases your deposit by £1.

It would not only reduce the number of missed appointments massively, it would also make timewasters think twice about whether they actually need to go to the GP.

According to the NHS 1 in 20 appointments are missed, that's 15.4 million costing £216 million. We should put that on the side of a bus or something.
Yes because putting stuff on the side of buses influences voting patterns icon_biggrin.gif

Agree with you idea only problem is the cost of administering the taking/returning of deposits

RankPostsTeam
International Star17952
JoinedServiceReputation
Apr 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Sep 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
simpsons/simp006.gif
:simpsons/simp006.gif

Quote: Cronus "I would love to see a refundable charge for appointments. £5 paid upfront and refunded when the patient turns up, but kept if they don't. Each missed appointment increases your deposit by £1.

According to the NHS 1 in 20 appointments are missed, that's 15.4 million costing £216 million. We should put that on the side of a bus or something.

Although in most cases, people missing appointments ought to be charged for (if it could be done effectively and efficiently), it would be interesting to know how many appointments are missed now as opposed to 10 or 20 years ago ??

Although no doubt costly, these issues are usually borught up by those not wishing to dfund services properly, rather than geniune concern for the ncost.

RankPostsTeam
Club Captain1087No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 20186 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2019Sep 2019LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
77270_1562571079.jpg
The Leigh and Wakefield fans mentality...... Say something negative about any other team than theirs - Its an opinion Say something negative about Leigh and Wakefield - TROLL:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_77270.jpg

Why should I pay £5 to see my GP when I’ve already paid more than that as a deduction from my wage each month?

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif

Quote: Ruune Rebellion "Why should I pay £5 to see my GP when I’ve already paid more than that as a deduction from my wage each month?'"

Attend your appointment and you won't pay anything. icon_ask.gif

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif

Quote: wrencat1873 "Although in most cases, people missing appointments ought to be charged for (if it could be done effectively and efficiently), it would be interesting to know how many appointments are missed now as opposed to 10 or 20 years ago ??

Although no doubt costly, these issues are usually borught up by those not wishing to dfund services properly, rather than geniune concern for the ncost.'"

Everyone under the sun has spoken about the cost of missed appointments. That's the oddest argument I think I've ever heard on this subject, given the NHS themselves raise it every year and are investing massively in solutions, not something they would do if in reality it wasn't such a big issue.

And they're doing plenty already. My local GP sends several email & text & app reminders ahead of any appointment. A new portal - DrDoctor - is being rolled out as we speak.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/2019/01/miss ... -millions/

Anyway, google tells me there were 6.5million missed in 2007-8, versus 15 million currently. There's probably some statistical inconsistency, that seems far to large a variance but frankly I can't be bothered digging.

It's a no brainer for me. Prevent missed appointments and put off time-wasters. You know, the clueless, "my little cherub has a cold and I DEMAND ANTIBIOTICS." But no doubt the usual crowd will wail "you're victimising the pooooooorrrr."
Quote: wrencat1873 "Although in most cases, people missing appointments ought to be charged for (if it could be done effectively and efficiently), it would be interesting to know how many appointments are missed now as opposed to 10 or 20 years ago ??

Although no doubt costly, these issues are usually borught up by those not wishing to dfund services properly, rather than geniune concern for the ncost.'"

Everyone under the sun has spoken about the cost of missed appointments. That's the oddest argument I think I've ever heard on this subject, given the NHS themselves raise it every year and are investing massively in solutions, not something they would do if in reality it wasn't such a big issue.

And they're doing plenty already. My local GP sends several email & text & app reminders ahead of any appointment. A new portal - DrDoctor - is being rolled out as we speak.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/2019/01/miss ... -millions/

Anyway, google tells me there were 6.5million missed in 2007-8, versus 15 million currently. There's probably some statistical inconsistency, that seems far to large a variance but frankly I can't be bothered digging.

It's a no brainer for me. Prevent missed appointments and put off time-wasters. You know, the clueless, "my little cherub has a cold and I DEMAND ANTIBIOTICS." But no doubt the usual crowd will wail "you're victimising the pooooooorrrr."

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif

Quote: Sal Paradise "Yes because putting stuff on the side of buses influences voting patterns To listen to some people, the only thing you need to win any election or referendum is a message on a bus. icon_smile.gif

It would add work hours and systems expense, no doubt, but any investment would be repaid many times over within a few weeks. There are hundreds of fast & simple payment systems out there now that could do the job. Take the £5, hold the funds, then bank or release according to whether the patient turns up.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach4647
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Sep 2024Jun 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50733_1530270912.jpg
[color=#000000:ogl9gbum]"Back home we got a taxidermy man. He gonna have a heart attack when he see what I brung him."[/color:ogl9gbum]:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50733.jpg

I can't believe paying for missed appointments isn't already in place. It would recoup millions.

My wife works for the NHS, and people not turning up for appointments, or turning up late then demanding to be seen straight away is a regular occurrence.

People think that because it's a free service, there are no financial implications when they miss their appointments.

Yes, there will be implementation costs, and it will require a level of administration, but in a 24/7 digital age I would think there's a reasonably successful solution.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach15521
JoinedServiceReputation
Mar 201015 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
May 2020May 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
50722_1319672516.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_50722.jpg

I don't disagree with the idea of efficiency and effectiveness measures - although working directly with many Trusts, it's undoubtedly the case that most are well past that and are now into the arena of cutting essential services; and the cause of that is, without question, the failure of Government to fund it properly. There could be an argument about whether that's deliberate or not, but when the Health Secretary is promoting an app that effectively privatises GP's and defunds existing surgeries, it's reasonable to err on the side of the former.

All that said, I do agree that a big drain on the NHS is the general public failing to look after themselves properly - smoking, alcohol and health conditions caused by obesity are costing £billions, and are in most cases entirely avoidable - but given the endless public health campaigns and the massive amount of information that is available to people these days, it does seem that great swathes of us just don't care enough to take appropriate steps.

Maybe the old maxim that familiarity breeds contempt comes into play - we're so used to the NHS picking up the pieces when we break ourselves, that we don't value it any more in the way we ought to? If certain Tories get their way and we do end up with a privatised system, we will quickly realise how good we had it.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman17139No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

Quote: bren2k "
Maybe the old maxim that familiarity breeds contempt comes into play - we're so used to the NHS picking up the pieces when we break ourselves, that we don't value it any more in the way we ought to? If certain Tories get their way and we do end up with a privatised system, we will quickly realise how good we had it.'"

Looking at other countries, like the good ol' USofA, where being ill can be quite expensive it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, in fact they are worse than us. I certainly don't have any ready answers, but connecting people with the production of food they eat might be a start,

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
Your job is to say to yourself on a job interview does the hiring manager likes me or not. If you aren't a particular manager's cup of tea, you haven't failed -- you've dodged a bullet.:icons077e_files/5454-3678dentheman-msnicons.jpg

Quote: tigertot "Looking at other countries, like the good ol' USofA, where being ill can be quite expensive it doesn't seem to make much of a difference, in fact they are worse than us. I certainly don't have any ready answers, but connecting people with the production of food they eat might be a start,'"

A large chunk of the population has health insurance - a bit like us so why would their behaviour be any different - sadly?

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg
“At last, a real, Tory budget,” Daily Mail 24/9/22 "It may be that the honourable gentleman doesn't like mixing with his own side … but we on this side have a more convivial, fraternal spirit." Jacob Rees-Mogg 21/10/21 A member of the Guardian-reading, tofu-eating wokerati.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_755.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "A large chunk of the population has health insurance - a bit like us so why would their behaviour be any different - sadly?'"

The figures I have read are that between 33-50 million Americans don't have health insurance - between half to 3/4 of our population. It is estimated 45,000 die as a result each year. They spend twice as much per capita on health than the world average but are ranked 34th in the healthiest countries in the world. Highly processed food & a lack of exercise are killers.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jun 2023Jun 2023LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

Quote: tigertot "The figures I have read are that between 33-50 million Americans don't have health insurance - between half to 3/4 of our population. It is estimated 45,000 die as a result each year. They spend twice as much per capita on health than the world average but are ranked 34th in the healthiest countries in the world. Highly processed food & a lack of exercise are killers.'"

Completely agree - the point I was referring to is your assumption that because health care is very expensive people will take a different view to their lifestyle - its obvious they don't.

RankPostsTeam
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2024Oct 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
755_1290430740.jpg

Quote: Sal Paradise "Completely agree - the point I was referring to is your assumption that because health care is very expensive people will take a different view to their lifestyle - its obvious they don't.'"

I think I was saying the opposite but as they haven't found a cure for memory loss I'm not sure.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman14845No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Dec 200123 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Oct 2021Jul 2021LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
143_1357419061.jpg
:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_143.jpg

Quote: King Street Cat "I can't believe paying for missed appointments isn't already in place. It would recoup millions.

My wife works for the NHS, and people not turning up for appointments, or turning up late then demanding to be seen straight away is a regular occurrence.

People think that because it's a free service, there are no financial implications when they miss their appointments.

Yes, there will be implementation costs, and it will require a level of administration, but in a 24/7 digital age I would think there's a reasonably successful solution.'"

A big problem is the NHS unilaterally sending out appointment letters with no thought for whether the patient can make it. Although they have got better in many cases and liaise there are still many ludicrous examples. For example, a few months ago a letter arrived one morning saying my daughter had a hospital appointment at 2.00pm that day when they are aware she resides nearly 200 miles away and has to be collected! I and others I know have recently received short notice appointments via letter and the next day received a second letter changing the day by a couple of days. In fact, often receive two or three letters on the same day! My guess is this is deliberate so they can massage their stats / waiting lists by saying that people cancelled / didn't turn up?

164 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
164 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.013671875:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
Rumours thread
JINJER
7m
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
chapylad
21m