JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1977_1349889235.jpg
"You are working for Satan." [i:2886spie]Kirkstaller[/i:2886spie] "Dare to know!" [i:2886spie]Immanuel Kant[/i:2886spie] "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive" [i:2886spie]Elbert Hubbard[/i:2886spie] "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." [i:2886spie]Oscar Wilde[/i:2886spie] [url=http://thevoluptuousmanifesto.blogspot.co.uk:2886spie][color=#4000FF:2886spie]The Voluptuous Manifesto[/color:2886spie][/url:2886spie] – thoughts on all sorts of stuff.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1977.jpg

Quote: Rock God X "That's an odd viewpoint, if I may be so bold. If you surveyed those sections of society who are members of gyms, and compared them to those who are not, the percentage who are overweight or obese would, I'd suggest, be markedly lower in the former group.

So, whilst it could be argued that a 'rising gym culture' hasn't prevented the obesity epidemic, it's also fairly obvious that the epidemic could have been even worse if it wasn't for people using gyms (or taking other forms of exercise).'"

Where's the evidence of that?

Looking at the people I know who go to a gym, they're either very sports minded (and rather younger than me), are fighting the same constant battle with weight that I fought for years (and, like me, losing it), or actually like the gym, or are actually panicking about being middle aged.

The ones who stuff the junk food etc aren't likely to be going to the gym (or doing much else in the way of organised exercise).

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach18610No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22214_1285226877.jpg
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. Thank God I'm an atheist.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_22214.jpg

Quote: cod'ead "
I have a long-held view that the value or usefullness of any item is in inverse proportion to the numbers seen at car boot sales. That's why every other stall has a Reebok Step, step machine, cross trainer, rowing machine, exercise bike and/or breadmaker/smoothymaker for sale'"

Seen many cookbooks Coddy? icon_wink.gif

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10852No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28995_1336988015.jpg
Christianity: because you're so awful you made God kill himself.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28995.jpg

Quote: McLaren_Field "You think I'm old
And you wonder why I think you're old? Jesus.

Let's dispel one myth here and now: gyms are not only beneficial to those who want a six pack or bulging biceps. I used to manage a hotel gym whose members were nearly all aged 50-70. They benefitted from regular exercise in a safe, friendly environment, and got to have a chat with their friends. You see, not all gyms are massive metal sheds populated by steroid-fuelled tossbags.

I take your point about the staff not being great in a lot of places, but, again, this tends to be more the case in the larger commercial gyms.

You seem to be confusing 'wisdom' with intransigence, in this instance. There are good gyms out there, there are some good gym staff out there (though many are crap, granted), and gyms work for a much broader cross section of people than 'jocks' and 'boy band members'.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach18610No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200619 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2024Jul 2024LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
22214_1285226877.jpg
War does not determine who is right - only who is left. Thank God I'm an atheist.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_22214.jpg

I don't see the size ( icon_wink.gif ) of the problem here anyway.
We only have to change a t to an s in the thread title and we are sorted.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10852No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28995_1336988015.jpg
Christianity: because you're so awful you made God kill himself.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_28995.jpg

Quote: Mintball "Where's the evidence of that?

Looking at the people I know who go to a gym, they're either very sports minded (and rather younger than me), are fighting the same constant battle with weight that I fought for years (and, like me, losing it), or actually like the gym, or are actually panicking about being middle aged.

The ones who stuff the junk food etc aren't likely to be going to the gym (or doing much else in the way of organised exercise).'"

I don't have any evidence, just going on my own observations. When I look around the inside of a gym, I see fewer overweight people as a percentage of those present than I see in, say, the supermarket. So, if we have a 'rising gym culture', it's reasonable to suggest that this rise might have mitigated some of the effects of the obesity epidemic. Whilst not compelling evidence in itself, it has at least as much merit as your assertion that gym use isn't part of the solution to these problems.

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32466No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1122_1318449976.jpg
Someday everything is gonna be different, When I paint my masterpiece ------------------------------------------------------ [url=http://jerrychicken.wordpress.com/:k4m40udg]The Jerry Chicken Blog Page[/url:k4m40udg] ------------------------------------------------------ [url=http://www.artgallery.co.uk/artist/gary_kitchen_2:k4m40udg]BUY MY ART ONLINE AT ARTGALLERY.CO.UK[/url:k4m40udg] [url=https://theartonlinegallery.com/artist/garykitch/:k4m40udg]AT THE RIPPINGHAM GALLERY[/url:k4m40udg] .................................................................... [url=http://art-profiles.com/gary-kitchen/:k4m40udg]ART PROFILE[/url:k4m40udg] ................................................................... [url=http://twitter.com/GaryKitch:k4m40udg]On Twitter[/url:k4m40udg] ................................................................... [url=http://www.facebook.com/gary.kitchen2:k4m40udg]On Facebook[/url:k4m40udg] ...................................................................:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1122.jpg

Quote: Rock God X "And you wonder why I think you're old? Jesus.

Let's dispel one myth here and now

Yes, thats why I said they work for "some".

Do you see what I mean about wisdom now as well ?

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10852No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28995_1336988015.jpg

Quote: McLaren_Field "Yes, thats why I said they work for "some".

Do you see what I mean about wisdom now as well ?'"

Not really, since you went to great pains to stress the "some", then went on a little mini-rant about gullible people joining gyms, boy band members and jocks. The subtext was abundantly clear.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member37704No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
2051.jpg
The older I get, the better I was Advice is what we seek when we already know the answer - but wish we didn't I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full-frontal lobotomy ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ kirkstaller wrote: "All DNA shows is that we have a common creator." cod'ead wrote: "I have just snotted weissbier all over my keyboard & screen" ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ "No amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin." - Aneurin Bevan:2051.jpg

Quote: Stand-Offish "Seen many cookbooks Coddy?
Thousands, I've even bought the odd one myself - "Prawnography" being the latest

RankPostsTeam
International Chairman32466No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Feb 200223 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2018Aug 2018LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1122_1318449976.jpg
Someday everything is gonna be different, When I paint my masterpiece ------------------------------------------------------ [url=http://jerrychicken.wordpress.com/:k4m40udg]The Jerry Chicken Blog Page[/url:k4m40udg] ------------------------------------------------------ [url=http://www.artgallery.co.uk/artist/gary_kitchen_2:k4m40udg]BUY MY ART ONLINE AT ARTGALLERY.CO.UK[/url:k4m40udg] [url=https://theartonlinegallery.com/artist/garykitch/:k4m40udg]AT THE RIPPINGHAM GALLERY[/url:k4m40udg] .................................................................... [url=http://art-profiles.com/gary-kitchen/:k4m40udg]ART PROFILE[/url:k4m40udg] ................................................................... [url=http://twitter.com/GaryKitch:k4m40udg]On Twitter[/url:k4m40udg] ................................................................... [url=http://www.facebook.com/gary.kitchen2:k4m40udg]On Facebook[/url:k4m40udg] ...................................................................:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1122.jpg

Quote: Rock God X "Not really, since you went to great pains to stress the "some", then went on a little mini-rant about gullible people joining gyms, boy band members and jocks. The subtext was abundantly clear.'"

...and with you agreeing that many gyms and staff are far from being to the standard that you describe as your "friendly hotel gym"...

Quote: Rock God X "I take your point about the staff not being great in a lot of places, but, again, this tends to be more the case in the larger commercial gyms.

There are good gyms out there, there are some good gym staff out there (though many are crap, granted),
'"

For far too many joining a gym is either a hope for a magic bullet with no thought about commitment or a trend that fails on the first cold wet morning or dark winters evening when an extra hour in bed or drinks at a bar in town with workmates seems like a better idea.

I've been a member in friendly hotel gyms (Post House and Seb Coe) and in one of your "commercial" gyms (Esporta), they were useful in their ways but no match for doing it for free in the fresh air with no goal but to stay fit.

RankPostsTeam
International Star48No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2011Dec 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Mintball "But you didn't announce yourself on here having a go a me for being a 'self-declared nutritional expert'? Glass houses and stones, sunshine.

And now it seems that you're addressing the issues like a sort of exercise fundamentalist who thinks everyone should eat and exercise like some sort of sports pro. See San J's comments.'"

LMAO where does a balananced diet with good physical exercise, become a sports pro???? Which sport for a start..... You obviously consider yourself a font of knowledge on this so please digress.

RankPostsTeam
Player Coach10852No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Oct 200618 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Jan 2018Aug 2016LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
28995_1336988015.jpg

Quote: McLaren_Field "...and with you agreeing that many gyms and staff are far from being to the standard that you describe as your "friendly hotel gym"...'"

Many are. But we're talking about gyms in general, not all gyms. And even those that don't hit that particular standard are useful to some. My gym is far from the best in terms of staff, and many of the members are half-witted meat heads. In its favour though, it's cheap, well equipped, clean and relatively local. That works for me.

Quote: McLaren_Field "For far too many joining a gym is either a hope for a magic bullet with no thought about commitment or a trend that fails on the first cold wet morning or dark winters evening when an extra hour in bed or drinks at a bar in town with workmates seems like a better idea.'"

That can be said of any exercise regime or fitness programme. There are many people who won't get off the bus two stops earlier or go for a bike ride when it's cold/raining/dark/windy, either.

Quote: McLaren_Field "I've been a member in friendly hotel gyms (Post House and Seb Coe) and in one of your "commercial" gyms (Esporta), they were useful in their ways but no match for doing it for free in the fresh air with no goal but to stay fit.'"

For you, and many others, perhaps. But there are just as many people for whom that method does not work, and for whom the gym is a better option. To suggest that one way is inherently better than the other is ridiculous and blinkered. I much prefer training in a gym, but I can easily respect those who prefer to stay fit in other ways. Horses for courses and all that.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member47951No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1977_1349889235.jpg
"You are working for Satan." [i:2886spie]Kirkstaller[/i:2886spie] "Dare to know!" [i:2886spie]Immanuel Kant[/i:2886spie] "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive" [i:2886spie]Elbert Hubbard[/i:2886spie] "We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." [i:2886spie]Oscar Wilde[/i:2886spie] [url=http://thevoluptuousmanifesto.blogspot.co.uk:2886spie][color=#4000FF:2886spie]The Voluptuous Manifesto[/color:2886spie][/url:2886spie] – thoughts on all sorts of stuff.:d7dc4b20b2c2dd7b76ac6eac29d5604e_1977.jpg

Quote: liedetector "LMAO where does a balananced diet with good physical exercise, become a sports pro???? Which sport for a start..... You obviously consider yourself a font of knowledge on this so please digress.'"

Intense-workout.com is not a site aimed at ordinary people. It's a site aimed at fitness/sports buffs.

And when are you going to actually respond to the points I raised to you earlier? You seem to be ducking them at present.

And no, I don't consider myself a "font of all knowledge" and have never claimed that. That doesn't mean that I do not have knowledge and experience, and have not bothered to invest some time in studying some of the issues we're discussing here.

RankPostsTeam
Club Coach7152
JoinedServiceReputation
Jan 200520 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2020Jun 2020LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
12389.gif
:12389.gif

Quote: McLaren_Field "...and with you agreeing that many gyms and staff are far from being to the standard that you describe as your "friendly hotel gym"...

For far too many joining a gym is either a hope for a magic bullet with no thought about commitment or a trend that fails on the first cold wet morning or dark winters evening when an extra hour in bed or drinks at a bar in town with workmates seems like a better idea.

I've been a member in friendly hotel gyms (Post House and Seb Coe) and in one of your "commercial" gyms (Esporta), they were useful in their ways but no match for doing it for free in the fresh air with no goal but to stay fit.'"

One of the biggest issues for many people joining a gym is education. I've seen many overweight people come into the gym, walk on the treadmill for 10 minutes, move some weight machines around (with minimum resistance), and then leave. They look nervous and lost. They barely break sweat and the heart rate certainly doesn't increase by any degree.

I've buckets of respect for someone entering a gym for the first time - it can be an intimidating place, but being there is pointless unless the person is educated on how to reach their goals. Weight loss? Aerobic fitness? Muscle building? If they're not getting anywhere after a few weeks they lose heart and stop going at all.

RankPostsTeam
International Star48No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
Nov 201113 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Dec 2011Dec 2011LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530

:

Quote: Mintball "Intense-workout.com is not a site aimed at ordinary people. It's a site aimed at fitness/sports buffs.

And when are you going to actually respond to the points I raised to you earlier? You seem to be ducking them at present.

And no, I don't consider myself a "font of all knowledge" and have never claimed that. That doesn't mean that I do not have knowledge and experience, and have not bothered to invest some time in studying some of the issues we're discussing here.'"

The site i posted was a reply for SJ to look at, it was to give them an idea of body type and shape. And reasons why some can eat what they want and not put an ounce on, where as others need to work harder just to stay even. As they raised that particular point to me. Your points, cant say ive read any of any interest to me. A balanced diet with good physical exercise is good enough for the majority of people, anyone looking for something different and lifestyle changing do the Mark Sissons primal (diet) life style.

RankPostsTeam
International Board Member47951No
Team
Selected
JoinedServiceReputation
May 200222 years
OnlineLast PostLast Page
Aug 2017Jul 2017LINK
Milestone Posts
Milestone Years
0510 1520 2530
1977_1349889235.jpg

Quote: liedetector "... Your points, cant say ive read any of any interest to me ...'"

Translation: you haven't got an answer.

158 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>
158 posts in 12 pages 
<<   PREV  NEXT   >>

All views expressed are those of the author and not necessarily those of the RLFANS.COM or its subsites.

Whilst every effort is made to ensure that news stories, articles and images are correct, we cannot be held responsible for errors. However, if you feel any material on this website is copyrighted or incorrect in any way please contact us using the link at the top of the page so we can remove it or negotiate copyright permission.

RLFANS.COM, the owners of this website, is not responsible for the content of its sub-sites or posts, please email the author of this sub-site or post if you feel you find an article offensive or of a choice nature that you disagree with.

Copyright 1999 - 2024 RLFANS.COM

You must be 18+ to gamble, for more information and for help with gambling issues see https://www.begambleaware.org/.

Please Support RLFANS.COM

5.4423828125:5
RLFANS Recent Posts
FORUM
LAST
POSTER
ALL NEW 49ERS ERA LEEDS UTD THREAD
tad rhino
FORUM
LAST
VIEW
TOPIC